Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gnome
Sep 8, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Hey everyone,

I have a project that I've been working on, but I don't know if it is possible. I'm currently trying to use 3+ webcams(usb) for a video conference(with one computer) ex/ have each webcam pointed at a different employee while I conference with my other offices. Is there any way that I can do this, does anyone know of a third party program that can integrate with skype that will do the trick?

The main problems are that I need to use multiple webcams on the same computer, I might need to install USB pci cards, since USB bandwidth may be a problem. Also the fact that I need to integrate it with skype, since the company only uses this as their main conference call program.

If anyone knows of a 3rd party program that could possibly do the trick, or has some kind of trick of their sleeve, please let me know.

Thanks,
The Gnome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
USB bandwidth will not be a problem.
The trick would be running 3 copies of skype. VM's maybe? I do not know if the software supports multiple instances.
In Skype, under settings -> options there is a dialog that lets you choose what camera you want to use.

You can also get a better camera with a wide angle lens...

Sinek
Jun 23, 2005
i can't help you with the skype part but last year i had a computer setup with 3 webcams so a programer could see what was going on with a industrial machine remotely while he was modifing stuff. i ran into one issue that might apply to you, there's something in windows usb enumeration that confuses it when it has more than one webcam of the same brand, i could not get it working at all with 3 microsoft cams (they weren't even the same model), i had to buy 1 microsoft, 1 logitech and one cheap china no-name brand one. As soon as i did that all my problems disapeared. you probably won't need usb pci cards, i didn't.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I do something similar with OpenBroadcaster for streaming multiple webcames during video games. Unfortunately OBS doesn't work well with Skype, but their forums chatter suggests that XSPlit might. Give the trial version a go.

Hm, that sounds kinda harebrained when I read it out loud. Just do what the next poster here says.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 11, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
You can run Skype.exe with the /secondary flag to open multiple instances. Windows will handle the webcam stuff no problem.

So either go to cmd.exe or your run diaglog and type in (for default program location) ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /secondary" as many times as you need.

Make sure you kill the microphones on all but one of your cameras if it's a conference call :o:

• Locked thread