Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asinine Tails
Aug 11, 2012
Everybody's heard of couth and uncouth...how about selcouth?

"Strange, unusual, rare; unfamiliar; marvellous, wondrous"

I basically use it to mean like "that's weird, but it's cool"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Neige posted:

Inchoate: still nascent; often used with something that builds into something grand, as with a crescendo.

I like the other definition: disorganized, chaotic, incoherent, rambling.

If you describe someone as displaying inchoate rage, they could be:

1. Showing the beginning signs of a massive tantrum that has only begun to develop
2. So furious that they're just randomly lashing out and shouting expletives
3. Mumbling and babbling in furious confusion.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Obsequious -unctuous, fulsome, sycophantic.
Irascible - truculent, churlish, recalcitrant
Loquacious -garrulous, voluble

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Lethologica - the state in which you cannot remember a word you're thinking of, at the tip of your tongue

I found this word to be so important in my life that I never get lethologica when I want to say the word lethologica. :unsmith:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1234/whats-the-word-for-when-you-cant-think-of-the-word

I'm with Cecil on this one - I like aphasia.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The problem with using aphasia in that way is that the actual definition is very wide ranging and medical in use. My girl is a speech path and dealing with aphasia patients due to stroke or other neurological disorder is 50% of the field.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Marcus Tullius posted:

Contrafibularities - Fake, pretend, or sarcastic congratulations. Contra - against, fibula the smaller bone in the lower leg. I.e. pulling someone's leg.

Anaspeptic - Nausea. Ana - Back/Up, peptic - relating to the stomach.

Frasmotic - A portmanteau of frazzled and spasmodic

Compunctuous - Having a bad conscience at hurting someone, whilst still despising them. A blend of compunctious and contemptuous

Pericombobulation - The confusion caused by talking to a more quick-witted person than you. peri around, and discombobulation.

Sausage- A cylindrical length of minced pork or other meat encased in a skin, typically sold raw to be grilled or fried before eating.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

spog posted:

Sausage- A cylindrical length of minced pork or other meat encased in a skin, typically sold raw to be grilled or fried before eating.

C - Big, blue, wobbly thing that mermaids live in.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Dog - Not a cat.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I've discovered I like the word 'subclavian'--which refers to the blood vessels that pass under the clavicle, or collarbone.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

cal·li·pyg·i·an
kaləˈpijēən
adjective
having well-shaped buttocks.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004
preantepenultimate - fourth from last
remonstration - http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/remonstrate

and I'm noticing a theme, so:

bathykolpian - big breasted, deep bosomed

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I had a :aaa: moment in a previous lexicographic thread about one of my favorite words.
Canine - like a dog
Feline - like a cat
Ursine - like a bear
Asinine - like an rear end

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
My favourite is shibboleth. It means a code word that shows you belong to a certain group. For example, if I use a word like hermeneutic, it shows I have a background in studying English literature. Or for goons, "Are you protected?"

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Psychlone posted:

My favourite is shibboleth. It means a code word that shows you belong to a certain group. For example, if I use a word like hermeneutic, it shows I have a background in studying English literature. Or for goons, "Are you protected?"

Or for Fyads, Tane.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Therbligs are the repetitive motions of a task, especially an industrial one.
"Minimize your therbligs until it becomes automatic; this doubles your effective lifetime – and therby gives time to enjoy butterflies and kittens and rainbows.” R.A. Heinlein, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hellequin posted:

Kitthoge, adj. & n. Left-handed or awkward, or a left-handed or awkward person.

Racist.

In all seriousness, as a left-handed person, the history of how languages have treated right/left handedness is interesting.
Sinister comes from Latin and is simply "left".
Dexter, also from Latin, meaning "right".

It probably belongs in another thread but it's interesting how languages have added connotations to both words that were never present in the original.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Borborygmi - the sound of your stomach rumbling

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Invagination - the action or process of being turned inside out or folded back on itself to form a cavity or pouch

Lunchbox Paradox
May 25, 2009
"Get back to work! Your boss isn't paying you to MSPaint all day!"
\
:backtowork:
Otiose - Serving no practical purpose or result

Moribund - At the point of death or a thing in terminal decline, lacking vigour

Truculent - Quick to argue or fight; aggressively defiant

Inculcate - Instill by persistent instruction

Lugubrious - Looking or sounding sad/dismal

Perfunctory - Carried out with no real feeling or interest

Dragoon - A member of any of several cavalry regiments in the British army.

Oxter - An old English word for armpit

Sprunt - An old Scots word meaning to chase girls around the haystack after dark :3:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lunchbox Paradox posted:

Sprunt - An old Scots word meaning to chase girls around the haystack after dark :3:

My great grandfather who came to the US from Scotland in his teens used to ask me if I was doing this. I was seven.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
niggardly - grudgingly mean about spending or granting
aka a word that gets people fired.

If you use that in the 21st century in the United States, you should expect that to be misheard and people to think you're a douche.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

canyoneer posted:

niggardly - grudgingly mean about spending or granting
aka a word that gets people fired.

If you use that in the 21st century in the United States, you should expect that to be misheard and people to think you're a douche.

Or people might hear you correctly and think that you're a

Verbose - Using words longer or more obscure than is neccesary
Douche - Someone who uses an obscure word in a professional environment while aware of its phoenetic similarity to a racial slur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Lunchbox Paradox posted:

Clearly a portmanteau of 'sprint' and 'oval office'.

• Locked thread