Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

quote:

Also - since I've never played with or as an Operator, how exactly should we handle the contacts/crew bit? I guess just have 1-2 NPCs - I don't think any of the other PCs quite fit the bill.

Yeah, I'd go with NPCs unless maybe you've done some work for Jack on the side. Completely up to you, but just let me know the NPC names and their connection to you.

BlurryMystr posted:

Should we all assume that we are a part of the Hardholder's settlement? I think it'd definitely be appropriate for my angel.

Yeah, if you want to be a fixture of the settlement, that's perfectly ok. The association comment was directed more toward the ones who had wandering as a pretty big part of their background.

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I've been at the sanitorium for a few days. Initially I came to trade for some food, but when I saw the faces of those with consumption, the absolute despondence in their souls, I knew I would be staying for a little longer than I anticipated. I've been doing my best to minister to them all, with the blessing of the owner, Jack. While I was there I saw a few faces I had seen before...

Doc is a fantastic guardian angel, if you'll pardon my pun. I've stood with him before, fighting off those who sought the lives of Doc and his patients. He's even patched me up more than once or twice. He's a great man, and while he doesn't know it, and might not think it, I'm sure there's a place in Heaven just for him. Doc gets Hx+2

Bean is dangerous. I'm sure in a knock-down drag-out fight he would probably hold his own until he could escape, but his real danger comes from his utter lack of human empathy. The problem is a serious one, and one I've witnessed personally. I had been shot twice, and managed to drag my crippled body into what turned out to be a dance hall. No one was around except for Bean. He took one look at me, packed up his things, and bolted. I remember, even if he doesn't. Bean Hx-2

Dagny is a pleasant girl. She's ruthless, that's for certain, but she's also got a kinder heart than she lets on. Dagny Hx+2

Everyone else, take Hx=0.

Jack: +2 (+1 because I think Jack's the smartest)
Sin: -1
Doc: 0
Bean: 0
Dagny: +1

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 22, 2014

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Awesome, I'm excited! As for everyone's place at the Hardhold: if you have a cool idea feel free to run with it!

Jack Callahan
"A few years ago, I never would have opened our gates to so many outsiders, but let's face it; Saint Theresa's needs help. The gangs out there are better armed and more vicious than ever before. If Saint Theresa's is going to survive we need friends. If that means sharing what little we have with others, so be it."

Jack is generous with his trust and resources, I tell everyone Hx+1

"I know Doc from way back. He used to be with us when things were real bad at Saint Theresa's. Back then, consumption was running rampant and it looked for a moment like we'd all take sick and die if it weren't for Doc. He took off after that; said something about wanting to wander the dust and help others. He's back now. Neither of us are young men anymore and I think he wanted a familiar place to put up his feet. I'm glad of it. A doctor's never unwanted around here. He seems different though; those years on the road must have changed him..." Doc has been with Jack since before, +1 Hx to whatever number he tells me

"That God-botherer thinks I don't remember, but I do. The job was simple: Charlie killed a man and ran off into the dust and Chaplain was supposed to bring him back dead or alive. You can't just let a man who did what Charlie done go because he blubbers and feeds you some line about how he's found the Lord. Look, me and him are square for now, but I've got my eye on that one." Chaplain once betrayed Jack, I write +3 Hx instead of whatever number he tells me.

Malkav11: Sure, there's an old abandoned house on the outskirts of the grounds. For some reason, the signal seems to hum a bit stronger there and anyone who's tried to live in it complains of migraines after the first few days. Sin doesn't seem to mind, though (if that works for you!).

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

deadking posted:

Malkav11: Sure, there's an old abandoned house on the outskirts of the grounds. For some reason, the signal seems to hum a bit stronger there and anyone who's tried to live in it complains of migraines after the first few days. Sin doesn't seem to mind, though (if that works for you!).

Sounds good to me.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

I'm working on the game thread right now, and I should have it up by the end of the day. We'll be using the Invisible Castle dice roller to link any rolls you make. Please post your updated Hx with your character sheet in the first post of the thread. If you have any admin-type questions, just let me know!

Also, everything looks good to me with regard to character sheets, but if anybody notices mistakes in rules or progression, please tell me. This is the first time I've MC'd a PBP game, so I will take all the help I can get.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
We've got a fair bit of history already, Jack, would you highlight one of my stats? I also need one from the MC, I believe...

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
No problem! I mark Sharp for Chaplain. Also, pending BlurryMystr's Hx, you're the highest on my sheet. Could you mark one for me as well?

deadking fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 22, 2014

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

You're right! I had meant to edit that in earlier. For the first session, I'd like to see everybody doing what they do best, so here are the stats to highlight:

Sin: Show me how Weird you can be
Chaplain: Take aim on Hard
Dagny: Get to work on Cool
Jack: Lead Hard
Doc: Sharpen your scalpels
and
Bean: Turn up the Hot

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Doc, what should Sin's other highlighted stat be?

He sucks at Hard and Hot (though Goes Aggro with Weird), is good with Cool and Sharp.

I underlined Weird on my sheet to show that it's highlighted.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
I'll have Hx up this evening!

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Thread is live!

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

Of course, I post that I'm going to do Hx and then the forums crash. Should have it done shortly!

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Hey guys, welcome back out of the cold. Can I just get a headcount to see if everybody's still into playing?

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

I settled at St. Theresa's about a year ago and set up shop with Bank and Fisher helping out. It's a good place; Jack Callahan has taken pains to keep it clean and safe. I'm glad to have a place where I can help people and not worry about having to hit the road.

Jack Callahan has been beside me and seen everything I've seen. We live our lives in the midst of sickness and death in ways that no one else can ever really understand. There aren't many out there who can handle seeing the things we've seen. I feel bd for him, sometimes. I could always pack up and leave if things got too bad, he didn't have that choice. I tell Jack to take Hx+2.

I figure Chaplain is doomed to self-destruction. It's a real shame, too, the man is a fighter, and his faith is inspiring. But this world of ours, the way it is now, it's nothing but shades of gray. And if I've learned anything, it's this: men who only see black and white don't last long. I tell Chaplain to take Hx-1.

I tell everyone else Hx+1. I'm an open book.

But at the same time, I try not to get attached. I take what you've all told me and give it -1.

Hx
Sin -2
Chaplain +1
Dagny +0
Jack Callahan +0
Bean -1

areyoucontagious gets to highlight one of my stats!

Sin, you should highlight Cool.

Jack, you should highlight Sharp.

BlurryMystr fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 26, 2014

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Good to be back! I'm still down to play.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Back, and still good to go, though I'm still working on crew/contacts - should have that done tomorrow morning-ish.

Her current Hx are:
Hx with:
Sin : +/-0
Bean: + 3
Chaplain: +3
Jack: +2
Doc: +2

A tie, so I'll ask red plastic cup to highlight my other stat.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Fausts Pen posted:

Hey guys, welcome back out of the cold. Can I just get a headcount to see if everybody's still into playing?

I'm still game!

Also here's my final Hx. Because Bean is the Skinner, I get to add +1 or -1 to whatever number the rest of you tell me, but I'm going to go ahead and add +1 to everyone because Bean is the sorta guy who likes to stay connected. Showbiz is his biz and if you get in the right mindset you can treat anyone as your friend. Even a creepy gently caress like Sin.

Sin -1
Chaplain -1
Dagny +2
Jack Callahan +2
Doc +2

And I've got a three way tie, so I'm just gonna pick someone. Hey Jack, what's my other stat?

Also Dagny needs to get Weird.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I almost didn't check tonight but I am here. Hopefully the forums will remain that way.

Not going to be able to formulate a starter post on the game thread til tomorrow evening, though.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 26, 2014

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Sorry guys, same deal here! Forums were down and then I was traveling yesterday. I'll be able to get a post up shortly. For our Hardholder's stat, let's highlight Sharp.

Dagny, highlight Hard.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

areyoucontagious posted:

Sorry guys, same deal here! Forums were down and then I was traveling yesterday. I'll be able to get a post up shortly. For our Hardholder's stat, let's highlight Sharp.

Dagny, highlight Hard.

I think you mean Doc should highlight Sharp? I should really remember to put the character name on the top of my posts.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

BlurryMystr posted:

I think you mean Doc should highlight Sharp? I should really remember to put the character name on the top of my posts.

Haha that in no way was your fault! I totally just blanked on who was who :( And let's highlight Hard for Doc.

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 27, 2014

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Yo deadking, could you highlight one of my stats for me?

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Whoops, sorry I missed that. I highlight weird for Bean.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Hey everybody, I'll have another post up tonight. I figure just responding to everybody who last posted should be ok just as long as nobody gets too far ahead of anyone else. Obviously that'll change when you guys meet up or whatever, but if you'd prefer me to wait on everyone let me know. deadking, good call on the wealth, I figured the roll would come when the subject came up. Also, feel free to flesh out details as you like in your posts, make up characters, places, stuff like that. There are a lot of people in St Theresa's, and they've all got to do something!

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 29, 2014

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

I'll have a post up this evening!

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

On it in a bit, just getting some stuff together from the power outage last night.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Hey areyoucontagious, my fault for not reading carefully enough, but I'm pretty sure there should have been a roll in that interaction. Either Hot to convince him to give you the info or Hard to force it with credible threat of violence. The moment's past now, but just for next time.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Fausts Pen posted:

Hey areyoucontagious, my fault for not reading carefully enough, but I'm pretty sure there should have been a roll in that interaction. Either Hot to convince him to give you the info or Hard to force it with credible threat of violence. The moment's past now, but just for next time.

We're definitely going to need a roll for this next bit. I agree with you completely. I'll post the roll in a bit. I think I'm going to with Hard, so it'll be edited in the post in a minute.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Got far too drunk to exist last night, I'll try and have a post up sometime after the head explosions stop.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Jack, Doc and Sin, since this is the first character/character interaction in the game, I'll let you guys riff for a little bit until something happens. So have fun!

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Sorry but work's been a meat grinder for a couple of days now, post coming earlier tomorrow.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

I don't want to progress until Bean and Doc have posted their answers to things, but I'll be on it once they do!

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Hey guys, I just updated the second post to show all of the NPCs with their (approximate) ties to the characters and general knowledge about them. If there's anything I missed or anything you'd like changed up, just let me know. With regards to Joyride, I'm going to say that he's been away for a few days with some of his people, which is why Gaffney mentioned him at the beginning. That should reconcile the different ideas we had about the character.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
We still doing this?

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Not sure, exactly.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Jolinaxas posted:

Not sure, exactly.

Honestly, work things got a lot hotter than I had expected and I had forgotten about the thread. When I looked, a few people stopped posting, so I figured interest had waned. If you guys are still down I can keep going, but the bar scene can't really move without a push. Sorry for the radio silence!

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Yeah, it's not your fault, I'm still waiting for a response (and an answer to the hold I spent on read a person) from AYC before I carry on.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I was enjoying myself, so I'd like to see it carry on. That said, it definitely seems like momentum has faded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I'm still down to play. Sorry for my silence, work got a bit crazy, but things have calmed down.

• Locked thread