Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

http://www.mariomarathon.com/

Starting in 2008, Mario Marathon is an annual charity event run out of Lafayette, Indiana and broadcast on Twitch. The premise is simple: over a weekend (read: until a Tuesday), beat every home console Mario platformer, with the number of levels to beat based on donations.

What's the charity?

Child's Play. Now, before you vote 1 on this thread, keep in mind that it's a worthwhile charity that also gives money to domestic violence shelters.

Why are these people using old memes?

Keep in mind, the people who put on Mario Marathon are not 'hip'. These are average people with normal lives, and they can't be bothered to learn what's cool on the internet this second.

What's in it for me?

For every donation of some amount (depending on the hour), you are entered into a random drawing for special, one-of-a-kind Mario mementos (usually Mario Marathon shirts, which are not for sale). Of course, near the end of the event, expect either a Nintendo 3DS or Wii U up to one lucky individual who donated.

THE ORDER OF GAMES (100% in bold, warps in italics)

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 64
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario World
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Green Star Challenge

Hey! They're using warps in four of the games!

Due to the nature of there now being 12 core Mario games and the fact they have day jobs, what once was possible with asking three days off from work just isn't possible anymore for non-speedrunners. Of course, if they raise more than their highest donation level, they might do more, who knows.

The Mario action starts this Friday at 11AM Eastern, so tune in any way you can! Make sure you mention Something Awful in your donation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Just looking at clips from last year's marathon - why the gently caress do they put the game in the small window and the might-as-well-be-static image of dudes sitting on a couch in the big window? :confused:

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 20, 2014

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Stuff happens sometimes on camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFeP9fHbeEs

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I like how during that they make it the game even smaller.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So this and SGDQ were scheduled for the same time. That's dumb as poo poo.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Mario Marathon's always been in June, while SGDQ has never had a stable month.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
SGDQ seems better in every way on the surface. Why are we doing this one instead?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

This reminds me why I never watch streams besides the SDA marathons. It's just people making constant high-pitched noises while being bad at video games.

With SDA, they're good at the games, while also being informative, funny, quiet, or Blueglass.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

i hereby swear i will never donate money to anything these people deem good or worthy

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
cool fat people talkin about how much they want to eat chikky nugs while playing mario poorly

it's my dreams come true

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ugh god they aren't even playing original SMB, they're playing the Mario All-Stars version THESE GUYS ARE THE WORST

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
mario marathon is the best time of the year, gently caress all haters

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Yesssssss I forgot this was starting today. And Jed's there!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

whats the point in hosting a Mario marathon when the games aren't even getting top billing on the screen.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I opened this and there's a small window showing Mario 64 and these people have cards and are arguing about the Monty Hall problem. Why?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

im sorry but this marathon has been consistently terrible every year

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Why are you guys harping the stupid poo poo? They are doing it for charity and making a decent amount for it.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

jabro posted:

Why are you guys harping the stupid poo poo? They are doing it for charity and making a decent amount for it.
If there's one thing I've learned from the internet, it's that someone's moral worth is not judged based on how charitable or empathetic they are. It's based on how entertaining they are.

And these people have failed. Shameful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's good that they're doing this for charity, but that doesn't mean you can't poo poo on the production. I mean, for one thing the way they make money for charity to begin with is by being entertaining. Saying that it isn't entertaining is legitimate criticism.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 21, 2014

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Pixeltendo posted:

whats the point in hosting a Mario marathon when the games aren't even getting top billing on the screen.

I will never understand this. If the marathon is about the game, show the loving game.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So is that other charity gaming marathon (the one that people actually like) that starts this weekend getting a stickied thread? Or even a thread at all? I can't seem to find one for it.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Jibo posted:

So is that other charity gaming marathon (the one that people actually like) that starts this weekend getting a stickied thread? Or even a thread at all? I can't seem to find one for it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644187

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

It's good that they're doing this for charity, but that doesn't mean you can't poo poo on the production. I mean, for one thing the way they make money for charity to begin with is by being entertaining. Saying that it isn't entertaining is legitimate criticism.

Pewdiepie gives his money to charity, but he still proved to millions of people that you can become rich by shrieking rape jokes at a computer game. Maybe he should donate to the rape victims he's demeaning.

I hope these guys earn lots of money for charity, at least. Just because I didn't find it entertaining doesn't mean I don't support what they're doing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Apparently, they got hit by a DDoS attack and can't take donations.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Alright, which one of you DDoS'd the Mario Marathon site?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
They're taking donations for Child's Play. Can't the Humble Store just handle their donations page for them? No one is going to be able to DDoS the Humble Store.

Also, if you're not being entertained by these guys, you're probably not their target demographic. They're not amazing, popculture savvy gamers who glitch out games for super speedruns. They're moms and dads streaming for other moms and dads that grew up with these games as well, and maybe their kids, for charity.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 22, 2014

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I was into Mario Marathon since the beginning, they were one of the first huge charity gaming streams. But I have to say, I think AGDQ/SGDQ have kind of spoiled me in terms of quality charity streams. They have a real tight schedule and there are constantly new a differently things going on. It's tough to go back, but the mario marathon guys still have alot of fun energy.

Also, thanks to this thread for reminding me SGDQ starts tomorrow.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Yeah I'd be lying if I said I find any of the streamers other than Jed consistently funny. But they're good people with normal lives who take a chunk of their free time every June to raise a shitload of money for charity. They're not professional entertainers like LoadingReadyRun and they don't have the A/V savvy of the speedrunners, but I still like checking in with them periodically every year.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Do you guys get a cut of the proceeds after it goes to the foundation?

IIRC AGDQ and SGDQ some of the organizers get some kind of salary and/or percentage from the charity.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
No, none of the Mario Marathon people take a cut. It all goes directly to Child's Play. They all have regular jobs which they take time off from to do this.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?

MVP posted:

Do you guys get a cut of the proceeds after it goes to the foundation?

IIRC AGDQ and SGDQ some of the organizers get some kind of salary and/or percentage from the charity.

SGDQ Thread posted:

SGDQ: What it is

All money collected during the marathon goes directly to Doctors Without Borders, with no cut being taken by anyone participating in or planning the event. It's all for charity. All attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses.

Mister Xenophobe
Feb 2, 2008

MVP posted:

No they don't.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What kind of shitheel does a DDoS on something that goes to sick kids? The gently caress?

There's another marathon going on right now that's way more entertaining and its thread isn't stickied for some reason. Come check it out.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644187
http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda
https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Some good games this year including Blasto, Chameleon Twist, and I Wanna Be The Boshy.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

Mister Xenophobe posted:

No they don't.

From Mike Uyama,

quote:

The contract is for organizing and directing AGDQ 2014, and it's an 8-month contract (June-January). I receive a flat fee each month until the contract is over (so once february comes I'm not receiving anything), and reimbursement for costs listed in the budget such as some marathon equipment (fans, power supplies, a/v equipment, etc.), partial gas costs (need to drive out to locations to see them), and part of my cell phone bill. I do not receive a percentage cut of the donations at AGDQ, and all of your donations will still go to PCF. Furthermore, My fee is not linked to how much AGDQ 2014 raises.

Percentage-based fundraising is a hot debate topic in the nonprofit world, and many fundraisers and nonprofits think it is unethical. In fact, The Association for Fundraising Professionals tried to ban percentage-based fundraising back in 2007. AFAIK, it's still legal but uncommon method of fundraising.

Now after AGDQ 2014 is over, I can negotiate for a higher budget and fee next year. That is, if AGDQ 2014 raises more money than this year's AGDQ.

On a similar note, SMK, UA, and Cool Matty also receive a flat fee, except theirs is based on the number of hours worked. If they work over the amount of hours budgeted for them in the schedule (60 for SMK, and 90 for UA and Cool Matty, I asked beforehand), then they can send a separate invoice and PCF will recognize those work hours as hours donated to the event.

Now some people might be wondering, "huh, what about the 50% thing you mentioned at the roundtable?"

The 50% I mentioned at the roundtable was concerning the Twitch subscriber split between the SDA account (which goes to me) and twitch, and has nothing to do with the donations. I'm not sure if I stated the separation between the two topics adequately during the roundtable, and if I didn't, I apologize.

BTW, I've looked into giving our half of the subs to the charity instead, and twitch said they can't do that because of how the subs and ad revenue are tied to the same account. Sad However, I've decided to count up the subs by Twilight Princess (the last game at SGDQ), and donate based on the number of subs during that game.

So some people get a salary directly from PCF while the president takes a percentage.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Final total (as of now): $85,359.79

Still probably a couple donations finishing up processing but that shouldn't push things any higher. Bobby One Shot put up a good fight against Champions Road but ultimately had to submit. The stream ended with a couple levels unfinished but they had work that same morning, can't blame them.

Wikiman
May 30, 2011

MVP posted:

So some people get a salary directly from PCF while the president takes a percentage.

SGDQ donations go to Doctors without borders though, and not PCF, so that's not even applicable. I don't know if Romscout recieves a salary somehow, but he's running the summer marathons, not Mike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Some of the people that work on the marathons full time for the duration of the marathon get paid for their time. The evil bastards.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 27, 2014

• Locked thread