Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for your interest to help a neophyte in his home theater setup. I didn't find thread about that, feel free to redirect me if I was blind enough in my searches :)

Everything is working in my setup but, except for the mirror-reflecting glass of my TV that can't be improved, I think the picture quality can be better (and maybe the sound too).

If I play videogames or listen to a movie, I find night scenes particularly hard to distinguish any details. Sure I played with the contrast/brightness settings but I dunno, it never feels right (blacks are too bright and whites can burn my retina in 0.5 seconds).

What I have:

Samsung PN51D550C1F
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/plasma/PN51D550C1FXZC

Yamaha RX-V371
http://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rxv-series/rx-v371_black__u/?mode=model

Motorola VIP2262 (my HDPVR from my service provider, Bell)
http://support.bell.ca/_web/guides/TV/UserGuide/Receiver/2262/VIP2262(en).pdf

XBox One

PS4

For now, everything almost at default settings except for brightness/contrast). Always at "Game mode"

Yamaha HDMI OUT to Samsung HDMI 1

Motorola HDMI to Yamaha HDMI 1
XBox One to Yamaha HDMI 2
Computer to Yamaha HDMI 3
PS4 to Yamaha HDMI 4

I use a Logitech Harmony remote control to control it all.

I found some picture settings today on the web (that I didn't try for now because I'm at work) and wonder if it would be okay for me with the game mode:

Picture Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 17
Contrast: 81
Brightness: 64
Sharpness: 0
Color: 52
Tint: G49/R51
Advanced Settings:
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: +1
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Auto
White Balance: RO-25, GO-23, BO-24, RG-18, GG-24, BG-25
Flesh Tone: 0
EE: Off
Motion Lighting: Off
Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm 2
DNR: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off

So, I would love to know if my wires are OK and what's the best settings for my Samsung and Yamaha.

Thanks alot for your feedback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
You have everything hooked up HDMI which is digital & the best input option available currently. Because it's digital it either works 100% or it doesn't work at all. Wires are wires; they only need to be thick enough to support the length from the source - in your case it sounds like you get video and sound from your current wires, so there is no reason to mess with them.

The only thing you can do to make your picture look better is to adjust your TV settings as close to D6500 as possible. This may or may not be a factory option. To test how close you are to this standard you need a colorimeter. If you don't want to spend the $ to purchase one then your next best option is to adjust the settings per results determined from other owners of your same television that do own a colorimeter. Here's an owners thread that should include those findings: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1323243-official-samsung-2011-pnxxd550-thread.html

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

ShiroTheSniper posted:

If I play videogames or listen to a movie, I find night scenes particularly hard to distinguish any details. Sure I played with the contrast/brightness settings but I dunno, it never feels right (blacks are too bright and whites can burn my retina in 0.5 seconds).

You are probably going to want to calibrate all settings with a colorimeter and a calibration program. In addition to the colour temperature as ifuckedjesus suggested you probably want to calibrate the gamma which are the settings that control how bright/dark things are. Don't mess with contrast/brightness for this.
If you can't borrow or a colorimeter or don't want to buy one you probably have it set up as well as you can.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are those HDMI cables Monster or some off brand that leaves your signal unprotected?

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

Are those HDMI cables Monster or some off brand that leaves your signal unprotected?

I've the ones included with XBox One and PS4 and the others are from Monoprice.

And thanks for your feedbacks by the way!

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

This will help you get close, and at the very least it will LOOK much better when you are done. Much of it will depend on how good your television actually is though.

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-World-Wonder-Blu-ray/dp/B0045ASBLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403384993&sr=8-1&keywords=disney+world+of+wonder

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ifuckedjesus posted:

You have everything hooked up HDMI which is digital & the best input option available currently. Because it's digital it either works 100% or it doesn't work at all.

Eh, this isn't completely true, but if it's partially working it will be incredibly obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MeramJert posted:

Eh, this isn't completely true, but if it's partially working it will be incredibly obvious.

The last time I had a marginal HDMI cable, I had a bright green line flickering across my screen. Took me forever to figure out what was wrong.

Edit: Another time, everything worked perfectly, except ARC cut out periodically. That one was a bitch to diagnose, too.

• Locked thread