Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Dagny, the Operator (Cool/Weird - 3xp)

"Well, it has to do with old work. You dig around in the Dust with someone, the bond never really goes away, I guess."

She took another sip of her drink, trying to figure out the proportions of bullshit and truth in that statement herself as she saw the dozens of faces. Some drooling with greed, some scared for their lives, some happy in their ignorance. Spending my hold to ask "What would you wish Dagny would do?"

"Anyway, you see that weedy little thing by the door? Next to the broad with the shotgun. He was a business associate of mine - made us a duo so we could sleep in shifts as we traveled. He's got a bit of a reputation, though, and I'll admit his detractors aren't without cause. He grew up without any parents, and when no one's providin' for ya, well, you gotta maybe take what isn't yours sometimes if you don't wanna die of an empty stomach. But he's got some work now - in fact, I might use him on a little thing Goss has me running. All I'm askin' is that you remember that, if folks start gettin' all ornery on account of second-hand talk a half-decade removed from the poor little bastard's circumstances."

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Jack hard/sharp
2 xp

Jack drums his fingers on his desk and listens silently with a frown on his face. He first turns to Sin, "We'll deal with Joyride and his boys in a minute. Right now, we've got to take care of the water. If I follow your drift, Jebediah's dead in the reservoir and fouling up the water." Jack turns to Doc. "I'm not a doctor, but I assume a corpse in the water's gonna make people pretty drat sick. We've gotta fish the body out as soon as possible, but is there anything else we need to be doing?"

Jack pauses and his frown returns. "One thing, though, Sin. What did you mean he's not quiet?"

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
Bean, Chaplain and Dagny: As Bean plays, the mood of the whole place seems to change. During the first song, all eyes linger on Bean. Bodies begin swaying to the beat and sighs fill the spaces between beats. The applause is immense for such a small place. As the next song starts, a couple of the girls start dancing with each other, smiling and laughing. Even Red Addy nods her head to the beat, still keeping a weather eye on the girls. Sally stands with rapt attention though, almost glowing as Bean winks at her. Seems like they haven't had a real night off in a long time, so they're packing it all into today. In the throng, you almost don't notice the large man in the porkpie hat wander in and sit himself down on one of the couches, motioning to Addy with two fingers. He puts his feet up on the table in front of him and pulls out a thick plug of chaw and bites off the end. The girls see him, but they all stay away. They exchange nervous glances but continue dancing, letting whatever cares they have melt into the beat.

Dagny, you definitely recognize Joyride. Chaplain, Bean, have you ever interacted with him before? Also feel free to finish your conversation.

Doc, Jack and Sin: Have any of you ever been down to the reservoir caverns? What's your plan of attack? And Jack: How long has Joyride been in your employ? What was the last big altercation he had with you?

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 29, 2014

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
Doc (Hard/Sharp)

Doc scratches his chin. "Yeah, first things first, let's get that poor son of a bitch out of the water. In the meantime, we need to boil every drop of water that's come out of there for the last few days. We should do a check of everyone here to see if anyone's sick and trying to tough it out without saying something. And if I'd like to do an autopsy on the body once it's out of there."

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Sin
4 XP; Highlighted: Cool, Weird

Sin was introduced to the reservoir when he was taking up his role in the hold, so he'd know what was where, that sort of thing. He doesn't go there much, though. He steers clear of things that vital, when he can. The Signal may be tamer for him than most, but it's still dangerous in unpredictable ways.

Sin steeples gloved fingers. "I hope we can. I think that reservoir may be deeper than we know. My concern is less disease and more...echoes. The Signal's impressionable, you know that? Picks up what we're putting out. Most of you, it's not something you control, and when you die as bad as Jebediah died. Well. There was a lot of pain and anger and frustration left and just enough of Jebediah to maybe pull it together and lash out with it. And since he died in the water, I think that's where that echo got tied. It'd match up with the way the girl was screaming. And I've seen it before."

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Chaplain Hard/Sharp

"Well now, we're all born sinners. Just because this individual might have had a hard life doesn't make him any less pure. I'll remember he needs a helping hand. That said, every good turn deserves another. Is he okay with going in my book?"

When Joyride walks in, I pause. I knew the man by description, but that was it; never had the pleasure of working with him in the flesh. I knew he was a killer, too. But there was no need to draw a weapon... yet.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Dagny, the Operator (Cool/Weird - 3xp)

Remember my question above.

Dagny gave Joyride a leer when he walked in - when he wasn't looking, of course. She knew better.

"Whether he goes in the book or not is his call - I can speak for him, but I'm uncomfortable with putting him in hock without his say-so. It's bad form, you know?"

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Jack Hard/Sharp
2 XP

Joyride has been working for Jack for about a year. Besides his work as an enforcer, Joyride has assembled a crew and occasionally goes out into the dust scavenging. Because Jack provides the equipment and supplies for these expeditions, he takes the lion's share of the haul. Lately, however, Joyride has decided the split isn't fair and has been holding back more and more of what he and his crew find. When Jack found out, he had it out with Joyride and made it very clear that if it happened again, Joyride would be thrown out on his rear end right after the militia worked him over. It's been a couple months since then, but Jack's still thinking about whether Joyride's more trouble than he's worth

"All right, we're going to need to get down into the caverns, fish out the body, and see what else is going on. If you both wouldn't mind coming with, I'd greatly appreciate it. Let's round up a team. That preacher and his gun are still in town, right?"

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
Doc (Hard/Sharp)

"I'm in," Doc says. The caverns were a place that would have bothered him in his wandering days - too confined, too few ways in or out - but now that he's settling into staying in one place, he finds the dark, cool space to be almost comforting.

"Let me clean up and I'll meet you down there. I've still got some Zeller on me." He holds up his hands, displaying the rusty brown dried blood that stains his fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Sin
4 XP; Highlighted: Cool, Weird

Sin pushes off the wall to his feet again, hunching slightly as the ceiling's not quite high enough to accomodate a man as tall as Sin. "I must certainly come along. No question about that. You will need my skills."

• Locked thread