Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Paint.NET 4.0 has been released, it's a pretty big update and has been a long time coming. It doesn't support XP or Vista anymore, so if you're on those, unfortunately you can't use it.

So what's new? Here is the official blog post: http://blog.getpaint.net/2014/06/24/paint-net-4-0-is-now-available/

Things I have tried and liked:
  • Paintbrush now has a hardness value, so you can draw very soft lines. Also alpha value in the color now works correctly (imo), in that a single brush stroke is now at most as opaque as the alpha value says, and not (almost always) fully opaque. The transparency remains the same even if you cross over the same line with the same stroke.
  • All tools have a blending mode. So you can use e.g. multiply to darken some areas of your drawing without having to use a separate layer.
  • The starting point and tolerance of flood fill and magic wand can be adjusted after you've used the tool (instead of having to adjust the tolerance and then redoing the selection/fill) and they can use the whole image for sampling instead of a single layer.
  • Color picker can now take the average of 3x3, 5x5, 11x11, 31x31 or 51x51 pixels in addition to sampling a single pixel. It can also either sample the whole image or only the current layer.
  • Selections can be antialiased
  • You can adjust the rotation and position of lines and curves after you've drawn them initially. Same goes for the new shapes tool, but I don't think the shapes are very interesting. The line/curve tool now has an explicit spline/bezier mode instead of the old undiscoverable "drag a handle with the right mouse button to enable bezier mode"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I've never heard of this. I used Gimp constantly for really basic and mundane tasks and its quirks bug the poo poo out of me. This looks easier

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

I've never heard of this. I used Gimp constantly for really basic and mundane tasks and its quirks bug the poo poo out of me. This looks easier

Paint.Net is great for quick little edits. I use it quite a bit and love it. Thanks for the notice that there is an update, I'll download it and give it a shot today.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Yes, for basic editing Paint.NET is awesome. It lacks some things that I miss pretty often, like a smudge and liquify tools. There are plugins, but unfortunately you have to work "blind" with them.

Supposedly version 4 laid some groundwork for plugins being able to add tools and brushes, but they are not in this version yet.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Switched over to StylePix a couple of years ago and I'm not sure, even with the new additions, what makes Paint.net worth checking out again.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Cool! This is a pretty neat project, I'm glad to see it updated again.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Flipperwaldt posted:

Switched over to StylePix a couple of years ago and I'm not sure, even with the new additions, what makes Paint.net worth checking out again.

StylePix is not free, right?

Paint.NET is both free and has a user interface that is designed for humans (unlike Gimp, even after all these years).

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Wheany posted:

Paint.NET is both free and has a user interface that is designed for humans (unlike Gimp, even after all these years).

It looks like there's a free and paid version.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been a long time fan of paint.net, this new update looks great.

For simple stuff in Linux I've recently started using http://pinta-project.com/

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Wheany posted:

StylePix is free, StylePix Pro is currently $20 (normally $50).

One of the things I like very much in the free version is that, in the program itself, if you wouldn't go searching for it, you wouldn't know that there is a paid version. It's not shoved down your throat, you don't even have the greyed-out-things-causing-a-popup-reminding-you-to-buy thing. And the features missing from the free version actually go beyond what you'd expect in a free program. So I count StylePix as being honest to god free.

It's an allright program. It's not never need Photoshop again amazing, but it's ok. Last I tried Paint.Net, it took over 30 seconds to start on my netbook, which was pretty close to how long full Photoshop needed on that thing. Which is ridiculous for something to quickly crop a photo and put some text on it or something like that.

Can you edit text yet in Paint.Net? That's what got me to switch away from it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Flipperwaldt posted:

Can you edit text yet in Paint.Net? That's what got me to switch away from it.

No.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Okay, I've noticed a couple of small annoyances in 4.0: It doesn't remember the positions of the tool windows and I don't like that the sample layer/image toggle is linked between all the tools that use it.

I often use flood fill to make an opaque bottom layer to otherwise transparent layered image, so I want to fill the whole empty layer with a solid color. That doesn't mean I want to sample colors with the color picker only from the layer I'm working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I'm bumping this thread to because there have been three new bug fix releases since 4.0. The list of chages is here: http://www.getpaint.net/roadmap.html

• Locked thread