Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
The transmission in my 05 Trailblazer 4.2L took a poop the other day so I took it to my mechanic to have it replaced. They rebuilt it but for some reason, the motor won't stay running. The engine turns over, sputters, and dies out after 2 or 3 seconds. Black smoke pours out of the exhaust as well. They took out the transmission and re-installed it, the motor still won't stay running. My mechanic put in a new throttle body sensor but that didn't work as well and he says he's at a loss as to what the problem is. I'm curious as to what the hell is going on. Anyone run into this before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I'm guessing it won't stay running long enough for the ECU to throw any codes. Since black smoke would be indicative of it running rich (too much fuel), I would say there's something wrong with the ignition (one or more cylinders not getting spark). Since it was running when it came to him, it's probably something either didn't hook up or hooked up wrong. I'd see if they could tow it to a competent shop on their dime, since they most likely caused the issue.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Check the crankshaft position sensor to see if it was bent or damaged. Seems to be a common mistake when pulling transmissions.

• Locked thread