Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pizzagate Pedophile
Mar 2, 2013

by Lowtax

I'm surprised that there is no thread for this wonderful little shooter, so here it goes.

What is this?
Garden Warfare is a breath of fresh air in the stale and awful sea of derivative and unoriginal brown bro shooters. Throw tf2 into the pot, add acid, some alcohol, a dash of pot, mix it, bake it and that's what you get - a great team based, tactical and humorous online shooter. Anyone can play this game, but it takes a surprising ammount of skill to do well.

But EA, genre, origin...
Despite the fact that it was touched by the devil (EA) it has less micro transactions than TF2, with just as many cool stuff to unlock. You can see that POPCAP fought tooth and nail in order to make this game truly great. I know what you're thinking, XCOM the bureau all over again. I'm happy to tell you that's just not the case. It stands on its own leafs as a class based multiplayer, objective driven shooter. Unfortunately you need origin.

Why should I play it?

1. A lot of game modes:
The game features a cooperative mode and three competitive multiplayer modes.

Garden Ops: A cooperative mode where up to four players take control of each of the plants defending a garden through ten zombie waves, with the fifth and tenth waves being boss waves.
Team Vanquish: A team deathmatch variant.

Gardens and Graveyards: A game mode where players either capture (as zombies) or defend (as plants) various objectives. It is a parody of the Conquest and Rush modes from the Battlefield series.

Gnome Bomb: A game mode where players attempt to secure a bomb (strapped to the back of a hapless gnome) and detonate at various bases. It is similar to Obliteration mode from Battlefield 4.

Mixed Mode: A game mode where both Team Vanquish mode and Gardens and Graveyards mode are used interchangeably. It will be one of the two modes with either zombies or plants. Then the next mode played right after will be the same mode along with the same map. However, the player will be using the opposite character team from before. Using the opposite character team does not happen all the time. After two matches of the same mode are complete, the other mode mentioned will do the same action as described.

2. A lot of classess:

PLANT VARIANTS

Peashooter
- Fire Pea: burning shots
- Ice Pea: freezing shots; slower rate of fire
- Toxic Pea: toxic shots; toxic aura
- Commando Pea: faster rate of fire; less range; loses splash damage
- Agent Pea: sniper shots (crits); longer range?

Sunflower
- Mystic Flower: charged shot; much less ammo
- Power Flower: faster shots; increased damage; splash damage; less ammo
- Fire Flower: burning shots
- Shadow Flower: faster rate of fire but has less range
- Metal Petal: more health; moves slower

Chomper
- Hot Rod Chomper: gains speed boost while chewing a zombie
- Toxic Chomper: toxic spray; toxic aura
- Fire Chomper: flame spray
- Power Chomper: electric spray
- Count Chompula: gains back health after eating a zombie

Cactus
- Camo Cactus: very far range; increased damage; less ammo; slow reload
- Fire Cactus: burning shots
- Ice Cactus: freezing shots
- Power Cactus: electric shots
- Future Cactus: charged shot; less range

ZOMBIE VARIANTS

Foot Soldier
- Cammo Ranger: sniper shots (crits); longer range; slower reload; slow rate of fire
- Super Commando: triple shot; reload after every shot; fast reload
- General Supremo: gatling gun (uses overheat like All-Star)
- Tank Commander: explosive shots
- Arctic Trooper: freezing shots

Engineer
- Welder: burning shots; slower reload
- Electrician: electric shots; shorter range
- Mechanic: rapid fire shots
- Painter: increased damage; splash damage
- Plumber: explosive shots; slower reload

Scientist
- Marine Biologist: increased range? dolphin gun!
- Dr. Toxic: toxic shots; toxic aura
- Physicist: electric shots; slower reload
- Astronaut: longer range
- Chemist: high damage; short range

All-Star
- Cricket Star: burning shots
- Goalie Star: freezing shots
- Baseball Star: longer range
- Hockey Star: toxic shots
- Rugby Star: explosive shots; shorter range; slower rate of fire

5 variants per class + 8 classes = 40 variants total
5 stickers per variant = 200 variant stickers total

3. Constant stream of free DLC.
New class variants, new maps, new upgrades, new plants, new zombies like WOAH. I would love to hear how POPCAP got it all through EA :crossarms:

What about the bad stuff?
Well the game, unfortunately is not perfect.
-voip is always on. You have to mash "toggle mute all" 2/3 times in a round.
-there are no numbers for ANYTHING. Ohh a cool new gun/ability/upgrade, is it good? I have NO IDEA.
-cooperative mode is a little basic
-you have A LOT of things to unlock so some people may be annoyed by this

Why did I make this thread?
I love Garden Warfare and play it constantly. This game has a LOT of things in it, class variants, weapons, upgrades, npc zombies to throw, plant turrets to drop and all of it has absolutely no numbers or any description in-game. I love how you guys theorycraft everything and I'm tired of looking through the net for out of date or just badly written guides. It's my first thread (I welcome any and all suggestions) and If someone makes a better one please do so and I will close this. If you have any questions about the game, be my guest.

Pizzagate Pedophile fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Is there anyone actually playing this game? I heard it was decent/not terrible.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
It really is a shame this game isn't more popular. It is vibrant and creative in a sea of brown shooters. It has some serious issues on PC as a result of PC-Port-Syndrome, but a few changes from EA would really make this game shine.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
This came out on ps4 this week and I had a couple of questions as I'm considering picking it up.

Do the variants for the classes feel quite different or is it more just the same function slightly altered to taste?
I'm mostly looking for co-op but the OP mentioned this is still quite basic. Are the enemies varied enough to keep it interesting? Has the dlc fleshed out the mode at all?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

X_ThePerfect posted:

This came out on ps4 this week and I had a couple of questions as I'm considering picking it up.

Do the variants for the classes feel quite different or is it more just the same function slightly altered to taste?
I'm mostly looking for co-op but the OP mentioned this is still quite basic. Are the enemies varied enough to keep it interesting? Has the dlc fleshed out the mode at all?

Get it so I have dudes to play with, this game is a lot of fun. Co-op is very comparable to Mass Effect 3's, there's enough variety to keep things interesting for sure. I've only tried a few pick-up matches and all I've learned is that pubbies are terrible and it's very easy to better than the other three dudes combined.

Anyone else got this for PS4, give me an add and we will shoot plantmans.

PSN: deadwingSA

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Sad thing about this game is that it came about a week or two before Titanfall did. The weird thing is at least on the Xbox One you can still find a game on there easier than with Titanfall.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
THis game made playing with friends (On PC anyway) frustratingly difficult. Do not buy.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

THis game made playing with friends (On PC anyway) frustratingly difficult. Do not buy.

They just patched in squad join for all systems except for PS3/PS4, which should get it within the next two weeks.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Picked this up to have something to play on the PS4 with my wife. Probably one of the best co-op games for next-gen right now besides D3. Plays exactly how you'd expect out of a 3d PvZ game. I've only played Garden Ops mode so far but the competitive multiplayer game modes seem like they'd be sweet too.

I'm really surprised there aren't more goons playing this.

PSN: ceeg88

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The bad thing about splitscreen Garden Ops is the other player can't save their progress for challenges unless they sign in with another gold account.

The most popular playlists are Gardens and Graveyards (really the whole game is balanced mostly around this mode anyway) and Team Vanquish. But the new game modes they've been putting out also have a good amount of people in them as well.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Yo I unlocked the Future Cactus last night and motherfucker is ridiculous. Being able to one shot Scientists across the map is a huge gently caress you to them and their tendency to stand still next to their healing stations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Don't suppose this has splitscreen on PC?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Been playing this non-stop on PS4. One of the best games this year, IMO.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I tried this out due to it being free on PS4 and suddenly its three hours later, this game is hugely fun. Much more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

E:
Which sticker packs are the best to buy with my coins?

RoboJoe fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 7, 2014

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

RoboJoe posted:

I tried this out due to it being free on PS4 and suddenly its three hours later, this game is hugely fun. Much more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

E:
Which sticker packs are the best to buy with my coins?

Yeah, this game is killer. So far it seems like you can't really go wrong with sticker packs, the more money you spend, the better quality consumables / character parts / accessories.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mash posted:

Yeah, this game is killer. So far it seems like you can't really go wrong with sticker packs, the more money you spend, the better quality consumables / character parts / accessories.

I just picked it up on PC this morning and this seems to be the case. The 40k pack I have gotten two characters from, the others have given me some awesome customization options. I absolutely adore this game so far.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Someone add me on that Origin thing. I have like two friends, and they are ex-coworkers who love Battlefield too much. My name on there is bagmonkeyy :)

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Just started playing this on PS3 last night and it's a ton of fun. I suppose it could be a result of Christmas gifts plus break time for students but I've been able to find full games every time I look. If anyone wants to get down with me and be sunbros add legit3incher

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'm glad you made this thread. I see this game pop up in ads all the time and it's neat to see people playing it. Have fun, gamers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I really enjoy this game. Playing as the Chomper is just the best feeling. You're a sandworm plant that's basically the chompy flowers from Mario Bros that swallows his enemies whole - what is there not to love?

I actually think the actual shooting mechanics are pretty terrible, shooting-wise, but this doesn't actually negatively impact me in the slightest because why would I bother shooting people when I can vomit digestive juices all over them and then devour them? (It's also the only way to kill people and guarantee they won't be revived, I think?)

• Locked thread