Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

trouser chili posted:

It's a grower not a shower.

There was also the possibility that you were a midget and I was unaware of that fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
We prefer "little people".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

Anybody, subscriber or not, can still comment on videos in a paid subscription channel. Videos they're unable to watch.
Well someone's hosed up that model then, haven't they?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I really feel like adding a paywall to youtube would change the direction of the website for the worse.

I also agree that it's not worth paying several dollars per month to watch some dudes ride in expensive cars. You can go stream Top Gear episodes somewhere else if you want that. Hell you can probably find free videos elsewhere on youtube if all you want to see is said car stepping the rear end out around mountain roads.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

"Mighty Car Mods were able to build a successful car show IN A CAVE! With a box of scrap!"

Seen their new show? It's got some real potential.

But yes, those guys have it worked out - sure they wont be millionaires of it, but they get enough in mechandise to keep the show going. The real money in the alternative revenue streams anyway - Very disappointed in Drive, subscription is the old and failed way to do things esp when it seems it's quite difficult to actually do that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To play devil's advocate, I think a paid Youtube sub is certainly better than getting poached by a cable network and forced to play by their rules.

Buuut, nope, not gonna pay $4/month just to get some Chris Harris. I like the guy and his videos but that's steep.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

Seen their new show? It's got some real potential.
Yeah, really liked the first episode, looking forward to more of it.

Cat Terrist posted:

But yes, those guys have it worked out - sure they wont be millionaires of it, but they get enough in mechandise to keep the show going. The real money in the alternative revenue streams anyway - Very disappointed in Drive, subscription is the old and failed way to do things esp when it seems it's quite difficult to actually do that.
I know they have sponsorship deals and in-ep advertising going on, but even so, I'd actually be more inclined to pay them money for what they do. I'll drop a couple of quid a month to watch a couple of fun guys put a maaaaaaad leafblower supercharger on a manky hatchback more readily than I will for someone to do something that isn't far off what Top Gear, EVO etc already give me.

It also helps to have seen it grow from the "Oh Lawd, what on earth are we doing", this-is-my-mum's-driveway kind of antics to a "real" show.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Buuut, nope, not gonna pay $4/month just to get some Chris Harris. I like the guy and his videos but that's steep.

That was my first thought as well. There are some channels I would consider paying for* but that subscription ends up being like $2-3 a Chris Harris video and I don't care that much.

* Most of these would require more frequent/consistent updates to go along with the subscription.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

It also helps to have seen it grow from the "Oh Lawd, what on earth are we doing", this-is-my-mum's-driveway kind of antics to a "real" show.

TBH, the Gramps build still has the tone of "OMG what are we doing???" but just kicked up to 11. I've been taking a loooot of notes, except what I want to do is a bit more potent

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4594703532.html

Someone should buy this ratty POS and drive it as is.

That's at least a $1500 car here in Minnesota for the body alone. I wish a goon would pick this up so I could live vicariously through them.

Edit; The next car I buy I will be going to a salt-free state and driving it back.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 1, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is there a good replacement for best motoring international? I'm working through the episodes but it's going to be disappointing not being able to watch professional drivers battle it out on the track/touge with stock/tuned cars and give their impressions. There's no official or fansub for the japanese episodes to my knowledge either.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powershift posted:

Not exactly surprising, but with the new "season" of drive, the videos are going to be locked behind a paywall.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I was wondering why there hasn't been any Chris Harris videos for ages. Really disappointed.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I just read the news about Drive...what the hell are they thinking, that people actually want to pay to watch Noted Windbag Leo Parente spout on for hours?

I mean, Chris Harris is good and their "Inside" videos are pretty good, but I just don't find anything else they do interesting enough to watch for free, much less for a subscription.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

I just read the news about Drive...what the hell are they thinking, that people actually want to pay to watch Noted Windbag Leo Parente spout on for hours?

They have to pay us. Holy poo poo that guy is an annoying fuckwit

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

What the gently caress did I use to put that goddamn oil plug on back in '12? I rounded it several times trying to get it out, gave up and started drilling it to get an extractor into it, and ended up breaking the head of the easy-off in it when trying to extract the fucker, so now it has stronger steel to hold better. :v:

Guess I'll beat the living gently caress out of it with hammer and chisel in hopes of getting SOME kind of purchase on it. I really don't want to drop the oil pan in my driveway, with this bizarre 'threatening to rain every couple of hours' weather.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I don't think this is what Audi had in mind for these cars. Just found this photo on Facebook. I really want to fix it and race again.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

trouser chili posted:

I don't think this is what Audi had in mind for these cars. Just found this photo on Facebook. I really want to fix it and race again.

Oh maaaaan I so want to do that with that car

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Wally Joyner posted:

Edit; The next car I buy I will be going to a salt-free state and driving it back.

Better idea: instead of dooming yet another innocent car to an inevitably rusty, salty doom by shipping it to the hell that is the rust belt, ship yourself out of the rust belt for good and enjoy a lifetime of rust-free cars. :unsmith:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Cat Terrist posted:

Oh maaaaan I so want to do that with that car

You can live the dream for $1,500. I'll even fix the car first.

Also, Toaster Pastry just posted this old photo of himself up on my Facebook thing. Apparently RallyX in an Audi v8q is an official AI thing now.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 1, 2014

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
GM status report:

We're checking suspension components for cracks. And by "we" I mean "a bunch of newly hired temps that know next to nothing about cars, let alone car parts" instead of letting people who know what they're doing look for problems. Evidently Nissan has decided to ramp up production massively to pass Honda in US sales, so our team has been up to our neck with those parts. And then first shift lost one of our expensive-rear end gauges yesterday. They raised hell claiming someone stole it, and I walked in to a note saying "2nd shift, stop stealing our poo poo. 1st shift". I find everything movable chained and locked down. So today I'm cleaning up 1st shifts' mess they always leave and find the missing gauge on top of a pallet and under a bin 1st shift uses to store their dirty gloves, dried out markers, and other crap. Gave it to the boss and told her that 1st shift can shove it. Tomorrow should be interesting.

At least it's Friday though :allears:

Devyl fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 1, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's good to see that 1st vs 2nd shift rivalries extends to all industries :allears:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I had what I thought was a pretty normal delivery today. Very nice older (mid 50s) house, well maintained. First odd thing is it looked like it used to be a duplex (two front doors), but looking through the window of one shows that there's no dividing wall. I knock.

Nice lady answers the door, two whippets run out to see who's carrying the food. She herds one of them back in, saying that one is bad about running off after the neighbor cats, but leaves the other one with me while she goes to get the cash. I love dogs anyway, and I'm the first to start petting them (or grab their collar if they take off running) on deliveries, so I'm kneeling down petting/scratching her. She seems out of her element and a bit nervous, but calms down when I scratch her behind her ears neck.

Lady comes back out, pays, ushers the dog back in.

Mention this to my mom later, as mom work(ed) in interior design. It was a very nice house, nice landscaping, looked nice inside. Then I mention the whippets.

Cue 20 questions about what the lady looked like, what the dogs looked like, what the house looked like... then mom pulling up a facebook photo and asking if that was her.

:wtc: It was the same person. Turns out she was one of the founders of a business mom used to work at, works in interior design, and fosters rescue whippets.

Mom and I both live 2 cities away from this person... small loving world.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The free drive stuff isn't completely going away, it'll just be reduced content. Chris Harris's pistonheads article summed up pretty well why they can't do it for free anymore - the YT revenue levels are pretty shocking.

I do think it is maybe overpriced by about 50% but comparing it to Netflix isn't really fair when NF ha much bigger economies of scale. I think I'll probably subscribe for a month and see how it goes, I've always watched most of their videos, I usually don't bother with Leo Parente as I find him a bit grating, and I'm not that interested in what he covers.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'd rather pay a few bucks for regular car reviews to be honest

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

It's good to see that 1st vs 2nd shift rivalries extends to all industries :allears:
Depends. To me, 1st would be mornings and 2nd afternoons. Then you have the night shift, looked down upon universally by the glorious day-shift master race.

stump posted:

The free drive stuff isn't completely going away, it'll just be reduced content. Chris Harris's pistonheads article summed up pretty well why they can't do it for free anymore - the YT revenue levels are pretty shocking.

I do think it is maybe overpriced by about 50% but comparing it to Netflix isn't really fair when NF ha much bigger economies of scale. I think I'll probably subscribe for a month and see how it goes, I've always watched most of their videos, I usually don't bother with Leo Parente as I find him a bit grating, and I'm not that interested in what he covers.
If they did it as, say 50p/video pay per view, I'd probably pay to watch stuff I wanted to.

Also, with a subscriber base of over a million people, and millions of views on individual videos, while the YouTube revenue may not cover their costs, there has to be a way to get sufficient directed advertising revenue, such as sponsorship and adverts/product placement in the videos themselves.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't get it... If you're going to get a 7 series why would you get anything but an e38? That generation looks like poo poo.

Or why you would get an E65 when you could get an E39 M5 for about the same money?

While walking to work today I saw someone driving a Ram SRT-10 - I've made some poor financial decisions in my time, but I've never done anything that stupid

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Ugh, this sucks. Managed to bust my ankle up pretty spectacularly Monday while weedeating, caught a rock and slung it dead on into the bone of my right ankle at Mach 5 or so. Took Tuesday off, foolishly went in and worked Wednesday to make up some money, which hosed it up worse. Now i'm on my 3rd day of no work this week since I took Thursday off as well to try and undo Wednesday's gently caress up and i'm really hoping this poo poo is healed enough for me to go back to work by Monday. This is what I get for being an idiot and not wearing proper workboots. Lesson learned.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
gently caress you GM.

Why on earth do you put the oil pressure sender in the BACK of the motor when there is tons of space in the front? And then on top of it, when you do inevitably drop the replacement sender or 1-1/16th socket, it falls and rolls down the bell housing, right into a nook right next to the shifter on the side of the automatic?

Seriously GM, you need to make every thing smooth so it all just falls to the ground.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Why on earth do you put the oil pressure sender in the BACK of the motor when there is tons of space in the front?

Parts bin. The answer to nearly every GM-related bitch.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I posted something about financing a car and the benefits of taking 0% vs a $1000 rebate on a 5 year bank note (assuming 2.99%).

Some goldbug asked "what about inflation? $1000 now isn't $1000 in 5 years"...

INFLATION WORKS IN THE BORROWER'S FAVOR WHEN DEALING WITH A FIXED RATE FINANCIAL INSTRUMENT. AN AUTO LOAN IS A FIXED RATE FINANCIAL INSTRUMENT. WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKMMMMM

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Phone, remember that there's a tutorial on mnet for replacing the thermostat that starts with "drain all the coolant and remove the radiator."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Phone, remember that there's a tutorial on mnet for replacing the thermostat that starts with "drain all the coolant and remove the radiator."

The official spark plug change procedure on the BRZ/FRS starts with "remove the exhaust and unbolt the motor mounts"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

1MZ requires removing most of the intake manifold. :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

The official spark plug change procedure on the BRZ/FRS starts with "remove the exhaust and unbolt the motor mounts"

Yeah, but mnet are idiots because the thermostat bolts in from the top of the upper rad hose. It's literally two bolts and a new gasket, and maybe you spill a little coolant.

But oh no, better do a full coolant change and pull the rad!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It was miataturbo.

Ron Paul 2008

I support the gold standard

Legalize gay weed

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

some texas redneck posted:

1MZ requires removing most of the intake manifold. :colbert:

one of mine involves removing the intake tubing.

the other involves me getting on my knees.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Where has July gone? :smith:

It seemed so short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, that it did.

• Locked thread