Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Hamlet posted:

edit: btw, ive been really wanting to check out some king's field stuff. should i start out with 4? im also interested in shadow tower

i've only played 4, but it was one of the most immersive experienced i've ever had with the medium, which sounds like pretentious bullshit (it really is) but i basically had a bad case of influenza and played that game as a way to deal with having no health insurance and a disease that killed people in 1920 and when i went to sleep and had fevered dreams i was walking those dark claustrophobic pathways... later, i was unable to play the game again because it made me literally nauseous.

apart from that, it's sort of like a first attempt at similar ideas from the souls games... it's first person, and i think it might be my favorite FPS combat aside from the crippling nausea part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

sector_corrector posted:

i could def see the pursuer being the the PC from DS1. arrogant as hell, wielding mathematically specific gear, doing the same 2 or 3 moves over and over expecting to win...

i mean, i guess one question is whether or not this sort of navel gazing, as i've called it masturbatorically, is even fun at a certain point. blood borne seems loving great, and i'm going to buy the PS4 to play it, but how much ground can you retread?

bloodborne will have to be a pretty drat strong game to get me as interested in parsing through it and theorycrafting as i did with dark souls, it's true, but despite being visually similar demon's souls was thematically rather different and definitely felt like its own animal - it didn't suck me in as much as dark souls did, but some have reported the opposite and written plenty of interesting stuff about that game's world and themes.

bloodborne looks even more distinct, and dark souls 2 kind of left me cold, so i bet i'll be ready for some new material to pore over by the time it comes out

edit: cool, i'll bite the bullet on king's field 4 then. wish it was on PSN!

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 2, 2014

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i really liked DS2, well, that is to say i'm liking it as i'm in the process of beating it.

i feel like DS1 took place in a mythic age, and DS2 takes place in an age of kings (beings who've had their divinity handed down from on high). even the aesthetics back this up, with all of the armor feeling like it's from a shakespeare play.

i'm really happy that they decided to do early modern period for bloodborne, because i feel that's a time period that gets basically no love in terms of good games, despite being one of the most interesting and important times of human history

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
yea i enjoyed my first (two) run(s) of dark souls 2 and i'd never call it a bad game, but where digging more and more into dark souls 1 made me love it more and more (despite its flaws) the same process with dark souls 2 had the opposite effect, lots of things revealed themselves as sort of boring and disconnected or downright stupid like the hawk/crow thing (the shrine of winter is an ancient mystical relic which allows you to bypass a small pile of rubble in an archway for instance)

edit: i will say though that i pretty much adore DS2's handling of seath

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hah! haven't gotten to seath in DS2, although it's cool they put him in there. out of all the lord soul bosses, Seath was the only one i actually hated. which i think is a pretty solid accomplishment for an easy video game boss, just because of how awful Seath is while still being believable.

without going off on too an embarrassing tangent, Seath is like a REALLY good example of how well written DS1 is

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
he's only in there indirectly, just to be clear bout what i did and did not spoil. some people dont even agree he's in there much at all but they're dumb and wrong

and yes despite being a meh boss fight seath is a really fantastic character for having zero lines of dialogue, which is all the more impressive really

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
at the risk of being quoted ironically in other forums, i'll say this about dark souls' design:

the player starts off feeling totally incompetent. i don't know if steam keeps tracks of death, but the hollows on the ascent from Firelink to Undeadburg have to account for 80%.

The GAMEPLAY guides you through becoming more competent. or it doesn't. but, if it does, it makes you feel super fuckin competent. defeating taurus demon on your own, defeating bell gargoyles with a friend, defeating capra demon on your own, defeating O+S with a friend... even if that's not the absolute path, i feel like it's designed.

and then the STORY guides you through being more competent. you beat harder and harder bosses until you reach a breaking point (O+S) at which point you suddenly start steam rolling. but you have to wonder, why am i so good? you wonder this, as the player themselves, and you also possibly roleplay as your character (i dunno who the gently caress you are, rear end in a top hat, i did this at any rate)

in comparison you have cack handed poo poo like gone home (not to knock the genre, but rather to knock the implementation, and also i sort of liked gone home so suck my loving dick) where the story is so loving important that the designer overrides all other concerns...

i guess what i'm saying, despite the sword and sorcery plotline, is that dark souls does a great job at telling a story with electronico videojeugo technology. rather than aping novels about depressed bourgie dudes games should (in the imperative borish sense where i tell people what to do without actually having produced anything myself in the genre) ape cool rear end eastern european novels about slavic peasants farming dirt. express the medium through the medium.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
Dark Souls owns. FROM owns.

Chromehounds owned at first, before people found out how to cheese their builds and ruined everything. RIP.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Favorite Demon's Souls moment.

Beat the game and immediately went to NG+. Ran through 1-1 all over again. Just as I opened the doors to phalanx I get the notice that an invader entered my world.

Working my way down the shortcut back to the entrance I meet the invader. He's got the Tower Shield which is the Havel's Shield of the game but even better. We're going back and forth trying to find openings and I eat a few back stabs but never died because of the Total Protection spell. It's been five or ten minutes bit feels like forever.

Finally I go gently caress it and when he switches to a katana and swings I parry it. I hear the familiar rush of wind and mash R1. Killed him outright and went on to beat the boss.

I could have just passed through the boss door and ejected them from my world. I could have lost my souls and dropped tendency if I failed. It's one of the most satisfying moments I've had in gaming.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Defeating S&O solo (Orenstein last) was probably my most satisfying gaming experience. I didn't manage to do it until like NG+++. It felt like learning a difficult life skill; you beat your head against it until suddenly it just clicks and you wonder why it was so hard to begin with.

My only real gripe with DS2 were the bosses. Ancient Dragon was boring and gimmicky, especially after Kalameet showing you what fighting a real dragon would be like. AD felt like fighting some stupid jrpg boss

also for like the hundredth time if you read the item descriptions lost sinner is clearly intended to represent the protagonist from DS

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Benny D posted:

also for like the hundredth time if you read the item descriptions lost sinner is clearly intended to represent the protagonist from DS

what items what descriptions

why does a chaos bug crawl in him eye

why

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Benny D posted:

lost sinner's supposed to be like the witch of izalith 2.0 who tried to rekindle the flames but got arrested before she could gently caress up and cover the world in demons and poo poo. like if you beat her on NG+ she literally gives you a flame witch soul or something like that.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

how do i beat the ancient dragon this nigga one shots me.

Dec 26, 2012

idk about the "real" way but i got that one ring that prevents damage from behind and used that to not get one-shot by the stupid fire attack

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Benny D posted:

possible but tenuous!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
the pursuer is more BA, i was a BA in ds1 ∴ pursuer = the (ds1) protagonist

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

i really love dark souls. once you play 2 it's really weird to go back and play 1, though. the whole thing feels kinda clunky and slow for some reason.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Tenchu Z was horrible garbage; What's up with that, From?
Dark Souls is premium uncut nuclear-grade vidgame though

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Anime Device posted:

Hit it with your weapon until it dies

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

Anime Device posted:

Strip naked to go fast, and use lightning.

Soral
May 30, 2009

Anime Device posted:

hide between his toes and use lightning also use the ring that boosts your damage when your low on health because hes going to one shot you no matter how much hp you have lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Anime Device posted:

wear the ring that prevents all damage done to your back and bring 99 repair powder and just eat every flame breath

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the ancient dragon is one of the worst designed bosses in any video game

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The ancient dragon is revenge against everyone who attacked the similarly nonaggressive dragon-related NPC from Dark Souls 1 who was hanging out in an incredibly out-of-the-way place just chilling out peacefully until you barged in. :colbert:

Dec 26, 2012

Vermain posted:

the ancient dragon is one of the worst designed bosses in any video game

as someone who generally likes ds2, agreed

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Anime Device posted:

trap him in a loop of attacks you know how to dodge. gower's ring (in bonfire intensity 2 spooky ghost woods) can help, and I think some people had some success tanking with gyrm's greatshield. personally, I got up between his back toes to trigger his stomps and killed him from there, no ring or shield needed. some people have better luck with other attacks, though

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kingsfield is amazing. Oh hey you just spawned and then died in this pit we put right here. Oops!

Also last raven is the best ac game. Don't even try to argue this point.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

the pursuer is more BA, i was a BA in ds1 ∴ pursuer = the (ds1) protagonist

how come there's more than one pursuer then I'm so confused

Next you're going to tell me Solaire isn't gwyns son

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

youre right op. these are good games. enjoy them alone.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

The Protagonist posted:

well while we're naval gazing am i alone in thinking that The Pursuer is the pc from ds1? Kinda got the iconic armor from that game going on except with a shitload of embedded/bound souls, a varied arsenal hanging on his back, doesn't even bother to touch the ground because he's ascended, and he get around by Giant Crow.

just the impression i got when playing

I think he was like the player once but the world of DS2 infers the PC linked the flames at the end of first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
no

• Locked thread