Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jcschick
Oct 12, 2004

What's the buzz? Tell me what's happenin'?
I have noticed my 2-year-old cat, Mallory, sneezing the last 24 hours. Her sister, Cassandra, hasn't been sneezing.

Mallory is up-to-date on shots, and is an indoor kitty. The only thing that has happened recently was that I shook out their bedding in the back yard (to get rid of some of the cat hair) and brought it back inside.

I'm leaving town in less than 48 hours and will be gone a whole week. My friend is going to stop by the house twice (like Monday and Thursday) to check on them.

My concern is that Mallory will get really sick with a fever or something. If I take her to the vet before I leave, they'd probably give me an antibiotic to give to her twice a day which I can't ask my friend to do since she's a nurese with weird hours. Or maybe the vet would give her a shot of antibiotics?

The thing is she's only sneezing right now. There's no other symptoms and she seems to be acting normally otherwise. I'm just worried that, while we are gone, she'll get really sick.

Thoughts on what I should do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
You need someone to check on your cats once a day, frankly any time you go out of town, but especially right now. If they do have an illness, waiting more than 24 hrs can be too long to wait for medical intervention.

Likely worst case, your cat has a little bit of an upper respiratory infection, but they can worsen and cause them to stop eating. Less worst case, some allergies or irration and its nothing to worry about.

Pay your friend some money to come once a day and let you know immediately if the cat is lethargic or refusing food. If neither of these things are happening and there's no other symptoms, your cat is doing fine.

pandaid fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 4, 2014

• Locked thread