Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Does it suck? I only played a couple solo levels but it was boring as poo poo. It was like a tiny rainbow six level, that always made me stop. Hit "f" wait 40 seconds and then repeat. What fun.

Is it fun with friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i found it a lot more enjoyable then the first payday, and especially fun with a good group of friends and not pubbies, so i would definitely recommend it. i got it free with ps plus though, so that probably painted my opinion a bit.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
lol you played padyay 2 on console

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

it didnt cost me anything to do!

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
game sucks if you don't know what your doing and don't have a team with a variety of skills

some maps you kinda have to spec for or else they take far longer than necessary

it's a lot of fun with a regular crew but jesus christ do not play with pubbies or the console version

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
The AI is horrifically bad and painfully unfun to play with. Even pubbies are better to play with. Been playing with the Payday 2 goon group on steam, 20 hours total so far and I'm not even close to being tired of it yet.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

if you do not have a group to game with do not get payday 2. if you do have a group to game with get payday 2.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
The game is pretty good, but there is a massive layer of grinding that surrounds playing the actual game that makes the whole thing just annoying to deal with.

For example, you have to either randomly get the mission you want on Crime.net (which is basically a map of the city on which heists pop up, and the heists you get, including the difficulty they're at, is random), or you can buy the heist with in-game cash that you get from winning missions. Attaching a weapon mod to your weapon costs a lot of money, and the only way to get weapon mods is through random drops. To level up, you need to get XP from completing missions. The amount of XP you need to level up later on (let's say around level 50, and the maximum level is 100) is obscene. It takes as much XP to level up from 0 to 90 as it does to level up from 90 to 100, and the advantages you gain from being high level are very significant.

Those were somewhat manageable before, because you could quickly run some missions for easy cash and money, but the devs have patched most of them out and have added a system that penalizes you for running missions from the same contract too often. The devs have also killed fun builds in the name of ~balance~.

You also absolutely need people to play with. The game revolves a lot around carrying bags of loot around, and you can only move one bag at a time. The coop AI will not carry bags, which makes the game almost unplayable alone. Friends are ideal, but I've also played with pubbies and they're not all bad (most of them are annoying though).

If you can deal with the grind and have people to play with, the game has good gunplay and is a lot of fun. If not, avoid it.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
You're supposed to play it with other people so ofc solo will be bad, playing with randoms is fine unless you're a massive goon turd baby just be the host so you can kick people if they're shite, don't play it on a loving console jesus christ.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Cosby Onahole posted:

You're supposed to play it with other people so ofc solo will be bad, playing with randoms is fine unless you're a massive goon turd baby just be the host so you can kick people if they're shite, don't play it on a loving console jesus christ.

Yeah, I played it on PS3 and some loving weirdo kid added me on PSN then sent me 30 messages in one hour asking if I wanted to play payday :stare:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
the problem isn't the people it's that the console is like 40 patches behind at a given time, usually in a completely unplayable state

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

fronz posted:

the problem isn't the people it's that the console is like 40 patches behind at a given time, usually in a completely unplayable state

The people contribute just a little bit, be honest.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

warriors, come out to payday

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
bots shouldn't be in the game they're worthless on the lowest difficulty which you shouldn't be playing at anyway

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
bots are really good at combat

and that's about it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Only good thing about bots is that in the first payday if you had bots one of them would stroll into the bank and repeat the speech from Heat

Soral
May 30, 2009

payday 2 is fun with pals or goons

dont play with pubbies

if you play with pubbies, quit the game immediately if one of them types "stealth" in chat

buy any skill that has "increases ____ speed by x%" in the description. all of them.

Soral
May 30, 2009

good guns include the sniper rifles, the locomotive, the ak.762 and the car4. the crosskill pistol isnt as good as the locomotive but it is reliable and is like the first thing you unlock so use it until you get the locomotive

bank heist: deposit boxes is a bullshit level for idiots to play, dont ever pick it unless you hate yourself

Soral
May 30, 2009

if youre an enforcer then dont get the carbon blades skill. it doesnt do anything

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Soral posted:

if you play with pubbies, quit the game immediately if one of them types "stealth" in chat

While I advocate playing with pubbies because they really aren't that pants-shittingly retarded at this game, I'm going to agree with this. On the other hand, watching pubs flip out and ragequit because someone (:ninja:) fired unsuppressed and set off the alarms is pretty darn funny.

Soral
May 30, 2009

thats all the tips i have, hth

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Take a loud gun, load into the mission and shoot in the air several times then disconnect if someone says 'stealth'.

Soral
May 30, 2009

if youre a master mind, get the inspire skill then when pubbies inevitably gently caress up the stealth just repeatedly shout them back to life when they all try to kill themselves to restart the mission

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Soral posted:

if youre a master mind, get the inspire skill then when pubbies inevitably gently caress up the stealth just repeatedly shout them back to life when they all try to kill themselves to restart the mission

DISCONNECTED: Host left the game

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Soral posted:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Does it suck? I only played a couple solo levels but it was boring as poo poo. It was like a tiny rainbow six level, that always made me stop. Hit "f" wait 40 seconds and then repeat. What fun.

Is it fun with friends?

lol get some friends you nerd, killing pigs is always fun

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
payday 2 is a cool game and while murdering hundreds of cops with a huge machinegun sounds like mindless violence actually the game has a deep and involving storyline that tackles heavy themes of political deceit, privatisation of public sector institutions, and the dangers of right wing paramilitarism

it really is the closest a video game (though truthfully it is more a "video experience") has yet come to high art

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Crewmine posted:

payday 2 is a cool game and while murdering hundreds of cops with a huge machinegun sounds like mindless violence actually the game has a deep and involving storyline that tackles heavy themes of political deceit, privatisation of public sector institutions, and the dangers of right wing paramilitarism

it really is the closest a video game (though truthfully it is more a "video experience") has yet come to high art

dont forget the anime paintings the senator wants in framing frames. Anime leads to political corruption you heard it here first

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Crewmine posted:

Also the importance of teamwork, friendship, and bags.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

i really like this game but yeah you need some people to play with. pubbies are weird and sometimes jerks because they will kick you if you don't meet their exact build specifications or you don't want to do ~~stealth only~~ runs, but other than that it's a cool game. it would probs be a lot more fun if you had a few buddies that you play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

big bank is far and away the best level in the entire game, but never play it with pubs because i have literally never seen a pub make it all the way through

• Locked thread