Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Vigdis

Most of this went over Vigdis' head, stories adventuring being unsurprisingly few in a land of snow and ice where venturing too far from town could be perilous on its own. Still, something was bothering her about all of this. She stood back up and leaned towards the dragon, attempting to look it in at least one of its eyes.

"Without spears and bows, how could we hope to even catch a bird? If you seem quite fond of yourself as an avatar of war, where is your armory?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Dragon

The red lizard looks calmly back at Vigdis. "Necessity creates its own tools," it says.

And that's kind of funny, because you're not used to hearing that saying in anything but your own native tongue, but here you are anyway, getting it in a foreign language from the mouth of a dragon.

"Besides, that guy looks like he's willing to fistfight anything you'd go after anyway," it says, gesturing at Jorda.

Speaking of that guy, Tatum, you still with us?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh poo poo I'm so sorry!

Jorda

Frankly Jorda was pretty lost, and the dragon rubbed him a bit the wrong way, but, considering he couldn't kill the massive lizard or anything, not much of a choice. At least this press gang situation involves monster slaying.

"Yea sure" he says, spitting on his hand and slapping it against the symbol.

"So you drove another dragon off but can't handle a simple monster hunt, huh" he says casually as he does.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

No worries. Just wanted to be sure we didn't need to pull a replacement player.

Dragon

The dragon starts after Jorda, making a noise like a pissed off rockslide, but it stops itself short.

"You wanna find out what I can do, huh?" Apparently your red friend has a fiery temper. "It's not a good story if I punk some lesser lizard, but you're soft and delicate, like warm liver. It's a miracle you managed to take down anything scarier than a rabbit, you little-"

The dragon stops itself again, clamping its mouth shut and having a good seethe, which is a full-body affair for this kind of creature.

"Right. By the power vested in me by the great seasonal dragons, yadda yadda, go kill something. I'll be keeping an eye on you all."

The dragon heaves itself into the air and makes for the upper regions of the World Tree. You can make out some of its grumbling as it flies off, and none of it sounds particularly happy.

The mark it carved into the root before you has very nearly healed itself completely. There's no big lizard looming over you, so your way to Verde Town should be clear.

Okay, you're in Verde Town, a thinly-disguised take off of the hub villages from the Etrian Odyssey games. Keeping in mind that this is a small town literally on the very edge of the habitable world, I'd like one fact about Verde Town from each of you, and your immediate goal now that you're here. That can be something as simple as "get a meal and a place to sleep" to "now my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete."

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Zoch

"Well," says Zoch, awkwardly. "That was... unexpected. Um. I suppose we should get into town. And maybe next time we can try not antagonizing the great dragon?"

Fun fact: Verde Town is the only place in the world where the soil conditions permit the growth of imperial grapes, which are considered the finest examples of that fruit. Wines and juices made from said grapes fetch a high price, but are quite rare, as the grapes are also the favorite food of certain tiger-sized insects.

FOr now, Zoch's immediate goal is to find a place to rest and resupply. His herb bottle will only last a few more days, and he's running out of pages in his sketchbook.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Fortune smiles on Zoch for reasons entirely unrelated to his interesting fact, and he finds a good twenty GP in the bottom of his bag that he somehow overlooked.

Rest and resupply will not be a problem, so long as you're not looking for something incredibly exotic.

There isn't a normal stationary store in town, but I bet there's an artist who'll trade you some paper in exchange for a favor.

Anybody else still with us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Al

As soon as the dragon leaves, Al heaves a sigh. "Well, at least we only agreed to do what we were planning to do anyway, and maybe this contract will provide some form of actual benefit along the way."

(Verde Town is home to the largest bazaar on the continent. A skilled merchant could find just about anything for sale, or locate buyers for absolutely any kind of item. If an item can't be found, one merely needs to check back over the next few days, as merchants are constantly coming and going. Al's current goal is to keep his ear to the ground for any financial opportunities, preferably the sort where the team can get paid for killing a monster, and then sell off the monster's parts for additional profit. The more layers of payment he can stack up for doing just one thing, the better.)

• Locked thread