Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Submitted! Sorry for the delay, busy week for me, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Pairs are in!

Clinhyde antes Hylatine Infusion!

Mikhail, will you ante?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I will ante!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

:siren: Mikhail, how far will you push Clinhyde? :siren:

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Wait, are we at 1-1 Life-wise? That's fantastic! :D

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Push him 1 space.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Beat 13

Clinhyde Eight
1 life
Discard 1: Toxic Strike
Discard 2: Diffusion Frenzy
Finisher: Vital Silver Infusion

Mikhail Isen
1 life
Discard 1: Hallowed Scroll
Discard 2: Apocalyptic Dash
Finisher: The Fourth Seal

--Clinhyde antes Ehrlite Infusion!

--For argument's sake, Mikhail antes a seal!
--Clinhyde cannot lose any more life.

--Clinhyde has priority 7. Mikhail has priority 1. Clinhyde is the active player!

--Mikhail retreats 1 or 2 spaces.

-or-

--Clinhyde advances 3, then either advances 1 or fails to advance.

-or-

Shock Drive has a range of 1. At range 1 either way, it hits!

-or-

--Clinhyde deals 2 damage.

Clinhyde wins! Congratulations, ActingPower!

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 25, 2014

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
If only life loss could kill you, I'd be a happy man.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

If only life loss could kill you, I'd be a happy man.

What's that? I thought I heard you say, "Equip as many Stims as you want." Don't mind if I do! ;)

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I think that's checkmate, actually. Shock Drive, Ehrlite ante.

The fastest thing you can play is Sacred/unanted Grasp, but that's only 5, and I'm 7. Since I'm the Active Player, anything except Burst will be too late for you to avoid me advancing one. But even if you go Burst, Shock lets me advance 3, then fail the Drive, hitting you. Sacred's useless since I'm attacking at Range 1, Immutable's useless since you only have 1 Seal, and Transcendent is useless since you'd be dead before you can counterattack. Good game!

Wow, that was nuts! Mikhail is a complete monster. It's hard enough planning around him, but the fact that he can choose to not use Seals makes it even worse. But Clinhyde is a lot of fun!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I was hoping you wouldn't notice that, actually, but yes, there's nothing I can do to avoid Shock Drive, nor would there have been regardless of where I pushed you to. Good game!

Mikhail felt moderately weak in this match-up if only because Clinhyde has such high priority all the time, and high mobility on top of that, so it was very difficult to set myself up for any major blows. In particular, Shock and Phase were two giant pains in the rear end, especially when they were both available to you, because I had to choose between moving and automatically missing, or moving and getting stunned even by 1 damage.

e: I should also reiterate that your relatively conservative/strategic use of infusions is what contributed immensely to your win, so that bit was all you. :)

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 25, 2014

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I was hoping you wouldn't notice that, actually, but yes, there's nothing I can do to avoid Shock Drive, nor would there have been regardless of where I pushed you to. Good game!

Mikhail felt moderately weak in this match-up if only because Clinhyde has such high priority all the time, and high mobility on top of that, so it was very difficult to set myself up for any major blows. In particular, Shock and Phase were two giant pains in the rear end, especially when they were both available to you, because I had to choose between moving and automatically missing, or moving and getting stunned even by 1 damage.

e: I should also reiterate that your relatively conservative/strategic use of infusions is what contributed immensely to your win, so that bit was all you. :)

Yeah, I knew using the Infusions would require getting out of them quickly with Diffusion/Frenzy. (See: Alternate UA.) Especially since you get double effects going in. :D

The fact that Mikhail doesn't move very much made it difficult for me to use Phase properly. Did I ever get it to work? But playing against Heavyweights is like that. They don't move very much, so you have to stay out of their super-attacks. Since Toxic and Shock were my good movement Styles, I was a sitting duck the rest of the time. But Shock, yeah, that's a great Style, especially for this matchup. That'd explain the -1 to Power, anyway. ;)

But you wanna talk about my use of Shock and Stims? How about your Seals? You did a phenomenal job of using them exactly when you needed them, then holding on to them just when I needed you to spend them. Did you ever run out completely?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Clinhyde wins! Congratulations, ActingPower!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hella sportsmanship itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

ActingPower posted:

Yeah, I knew using the Infusions would require getting out of them quickly with Diffusion/Frenzy. (See: Alternate UA.) Especially since you get double effects going in. :D

The fact that Mikhail doesn't move very much made it difficult for me to use Phase properly. Did I ever get it to work? But playing against Heavyweights is like that. They don't move very much, so you have to stay out of their super-attacks. Since Toxic and Shock were my good movement Styles, I was a sitting duck the rest of the time. But Shock, yeah, that's a great Style, especially for this matchup. That'd explain the -1 to Power, anyway. ;)

But you wanna talk about my use of Shock and Stims? How about your Seals? You did a phenomenal job of using them exactly when you needed them, then holding on to them just when I needed you to spend them. Did you ever run out completely?

Even just the threat of Phase was enough to gently caress with my head, so even if you never really got a chance to use it properly, it still factored into my decisions every time. The threat of power, as they say.

I don't think I ever really ran out of seals, but I could have benefited from having two seals more often than I did. I think I totally whiffed on one beat that cost me that second seal, and it rendered Immutable mostly useless for the rest of the match. Again, even just having the threat of using Immutable, even if I never used it, would have helped, much like Phase helped you.

I'm definitely going to give Clinhyde a try the next time I'm able to play in person, especially since you gave a pretty great example of how to utilize his stims this match.

• Locked thread