Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orian
Jun 2, 2004
penz
Hi everyone,

I am currently putting together a FreeNAS server that I will use for NAS, SAN, and iSCSI targets in my home. It will host my media via CIFS and also be used with an iSCSI target as a datastore for my ESXi home lab. Any feedback on my build list or potential issues would be highly appreciated. I really want to avoid having to buy/RMA stuff because things don't fit/aren't compatible and I want to get it right on the first try.

Specific questions I have about this build:

quote:

• Does anyone have any experience with the Supermicro CSE-836BA-R920B case and the MBD-X8DTi-LN4F-O motherboard in terms of fit?

• Does anyone have any experience running the particular Crucial ECC RAM (CT16G3ERSLD41339) with the MBD-X8DTi-LN4F-O motherboard in terms of compatibility?

• It looks like the Supermicro CSE-836BA-R920B case has SFF-8087 connectors on the backplane, how does the backplane power the hard drives (Molex, SATA, etc.)?

• Does anyone have any recommendations for this combo for a HSF. I just picked an Intel BXSTS100A based on reviews and want to be sure it will fit.

Builds Specs:

OS

quote:

Freenas 9.2.1.6 on 16GB USB memory stick.

Storage Layout

quote:

16x - 4TB drives.
8 drives per HBA and VDev.
2 zpools.
RAIDZ2 on each zpool. (2 drives can fail per zpool)
24TB usable per zpool, 48 TB usable total. 4 drive failures allowed in total.

Case

PSUs

quote:

2x - 920 watt redundant PSU's included in above case.

Motherboard

CPU

HSF

RAM

HBAs

HBA cables

HDDs

orian fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
You probably want the parts picking megathread.

orian
Jun 2, 2004
penz
I should also mentioned I already have the following from what I listed above:

E5645 CPU
2x - HBA's
64GB RAM
16x 4TB HDD's

I had listed those because I already have them and would like to reuse as much as possible. I really just figure I can take all that a throw it in a case with a motherboard/hsf and call it a day.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
What exactly is this for? And what's your budget range?

You also may want to check out the storage mega thread

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 7, 2014

orian
Jun 2, 2004
penz

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

What exactly is this for? And what's your budget range?

You also may want to check out the storage mega thread

NAS, SAN, and iSCSI targets in my home. It will host my media via CIFS and also be used with an iSCSI target as a datastore for my ESXi home lab. Also storage of files (around 8TB) for my home office.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
This thread revolves around home NAS as well.

I will give a few specific pieces of advice as someone who has built a bigger version of this.

It will be loud and there are quite a few small, high speed fans. I honestly can't imagine running one at home.

The 3TB version of the hard drives you picked out are extremely unreliable. I am not sure if this extends to the 4TB model but I suspect it does. They fail in odd ways -- total failures rather than predictive. They also don't do IO timeouts gracefully and have caused kernel panics for me. I ended up replacing them all with better quality hardware, which was easy, because I wasn't paying for it.

The OS was an issue. FreeNAS was stable but dogshit slow. NAS4Free was fast but crashed routinely under IO load. This turned out to be a bug in BSD stable/9 but I have no idea if it's been fixed. I ended up going with Illumos to get both decent performance and stability. I doubt you'll put enough load on the thing to run into this problem, but figured I'd mention it.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

orian posted:

It looks like the Supermicro CSE-836BA-R920B case has SFF-8087 connectors on the backplane, how does the backplane power the hard drives (Molex, SATA, etc.)?

There are 4-pin power connectors on the backplane as well.

orian
Jun 2, 2004
penz

KS posted:

This thread revolves around home NAS as well.

I will give a few specific pieces of advice as someone who has built a bigger version of this.

It will be loud and there are quite a few small, high speed fans. I honestly can't imagine running one at home.

The 3TB version of the hard drives you picked out are extremely unreliable. I am not sure if this extends to the 4TB model but I suspect it does. They fail in odd ways -- total failures rather than predictive. They also don't do IO timeouts gracefully and have caused kernel panics for me. I ended up replacing them all with better quality hardware, which was easy, because I wasn't paying for it.

The OS was an issue. FreeNAS was stable but dogshit slow. NAS4Free was fast but crashed routinely under IO load. This turned out to be a bug in BSD stable/9 but I have no idea if it's been fixed. I ended up going with Illumos to get both decent performance and stability. I doubt you'll put enough load on the thing to run into this problem, but figured I'd mention it.

Thanks for the reply. Do you recommend napp-it, Solaris 11, OpenIndiana, etc?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
If speed is the gain, Nexenta(solaris based) is pretty awesome so long as you don't use Broadcom nic's.

However freeNas and Nexenta are fairly neck and neck if looking at a home solution, FreeNas might provide some additional features like media server, iTunes server, and other things that could make it more appealing.

orian
Jun 2, 2004
penz

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

If speed is the gain, Nexenta(solaris based) is pretty awesome so long as you don't use Broadcom nic's.

However freeNas and Nexenta are fairly neck and neck if looking at a home solution, FreeNas might provide some additional features like media server, iTunes server, and other things that could make it more appealing.

It looks like you can only have 18TB for home use with Nexenta and my build will be well beyond that, unless I missed something? I have lots of experience with FreeNAS but I would be open to try out something else. Napp-it seems attractive as they also have a "napp-it to go" release that boots off USB, which is perfect, because I don't want to run the OS on a HDD(s).

orian fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 9, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

orian posted:

It looks like you can only have 18TB for home use with Nexenta and my build will be well beyond that, unless I missed something? I have lots of experience with FreeNAS but I would be open to try out something else. Napp-it seems attractive as they also have a "napp-it to go" release that boots off USB, which is perfect, because I don't want to run the OS on a HDD(s).

Nexenta would limit you to 18TB correct, sorry I recalled incorrectly, I thought you posted 16x 1TB drives.

Napp-it is cool but the community is a bit slow and running it is somewhat of a feness than the grab and go of freeNas. Also FreeNas will run and boot off of a USB since like.... 5 years ago. I think 9.1 even recommends running it off a USB.

Speaking as if this is a home lab, I'd say go off what you are more accustom to unless Napp-It, Openfiler, Illominus, or the like have an offering you can't get on FreeNas or the similar. I mean really you're just debating which OS you like ZFS to run off of more than the other.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 9, 2014

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

orian posted:

Thanks for the reply. Do you recommend napp-it, Solaris 11, OpenIndiana, etc?

When I said under load I really meant it. The NAS4Free crashes only occurred under loads that you'll never put on a home system -- saturating 10 gbit with multiple backup streams. I run NAS4Free at home with no issues.

FreeNAS has since updated to BSD 9 I believe, so it should be really similar. I'd just run what you know. To answer the question, though, I'm using OmniOS and have been happy with it.

orian
Jun 2, 2004
penz

KS posted:

When I said under load I really meant it. The NAS4Free crashes only occurred under loads that you'll never put on a home system -- saturating 10 gbit with multiple backup streams. I run NAS4Free at home with no issues.

FreeNAS has since updated to BSD 9 I believe, so it should be really similar. I'd just run what you know. To answer the question, though, I'm using OmniOS and have been happy with it.

I think I'll settle on FreeNAS with the following:

2x 10 disk z2 zpools
1x 4 disk zpool mirror dedicated for ESXi datastore

Thanks for the help everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

You could just buy a FreeNAS system from iXSystems and not have to worry about doing it wrong

• Locked thread