Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hagop posted:

What caused Harklight to turn around is a bit harder to figure out.

Loyalty, I guess? The whole shtick of Saazbaum's faction (of which Harklight was part from the beginning) was "we couldn't care less if you're terran or martian, as long as you're on our side we'll fight to the end for you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Mikl posted:

Loyalty, I guess? The whole shtick of Saazbaum's faction (of which Harklight was part from the beginning) was "we couldn't care less if you're terran or martian, as long as you're on our side we'll fight to the end for you".

I thought Harklight's thing was the bondage of classes, he was following Slaine because he thought Slaine's end game was a people's republic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hagop posted:

Slaine's decision to fight makes sense, it is a win win for him.

If Slaine loses its not problem his whole plan is to die so that the princess can take control of his faction.

If he wins then Earth is down its most powerful solder and warship, which puts the princess's faction is in a stronger position.

Also he hates our MC for the gave sin of making friends with the princess.

Harklight just didn't want his beloved leader to die alone, and since the Orbital Knights live on honour and martial pride, there was no way anyone else could not come along once he turned around.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Hagop posted:

Also he hates our MC for the gave sin of making friends with the princess.

To be fair to Slaine (which apparently no one is), Inaho hosed everything up by shooting first when Slaine showed up to help defeat that fist robot. If he wasn't such an autist the entire show would've changed and we instead would've gotten Inaho + Slaine styling on dudes, flying around by grappling hook using a spaceship for tethering.

Which would've been a much better show.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Eej posted:

To be fair to Slaine (which apparently no one is), Inaho hosed everything up by shooting first when Slaine showed up to help defeat that fist robot. If he wasn't such an autist the entire show would've changed and we instead would've gotten Inaho + Slaine styling on dudes, flying around by grappling hook using a spaceship for tethering.

It would have been a much safer show. Given how poorly the risk went (aside from the fun end to the first season), you're probably right.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Eej posted:

Inaho hosed everything up by shooting first
No he didn't, Slaine shot first.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Eej posted:

Slaine shoots first and misses, then Inaho shoots his stabilizer and then dunks him.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Everything about this second season reads like a setup for a third one at some point.

Having just watched Eureka Seven again, their first season does nothing but set up the second season by keeping everyone alive and leaving the plot open enough to be worked with.

But yeah, gently caress the writers for not doing anything interesting, all the characters get set in stone at the beginning of the season and then remain stagnant throughout.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I must have totally misremembered due to my distaste for this show now, my bad.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Eej posted:

Urobuchi didn't do the second season of P-P, which is why it's so much worse. S1 did a really good job of painting a picture of the future with all the various bits about holographic everything, food that is all the same stuff but flavoured to taste like real stuff etc. Then S2 comes along and makes no attempt to expand upon the setting and focuses on just future cops and well, it feels a lot like Aldnoah S2 actually! You can't really fault him for world building.

I beg to differ. There were notably weaker episode arcs like the mental clinic incident (why is everyone naked. again?) However, I liked the closer focus on Akane and less on the other guy. I wish we had a greater POV on her family and other relationships outside her work. Basically, we're comparing apples to orange here.

Luckily, we can all decide violence against women in media is bad thing, right? :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Rodyle posted:

I think/hope what he's getting at is that there's a difference between saying his female characters need more agency which is a valid criticism of Urobuchi (but one I feel he's improved on generally even if he's got a long way to go), and saying Urobuchi gets off on rape scenes etc, which is a comment on his character I don't think is warranted.

On the other hand boy am I glad Maiya's backstory got cut from the FZ anime because that's the height of Depression Urobuchi edginess.

E: actually how was that movie Uro made for Toei anyway

This exactly.

Eej posted:

Well if that's the case I'll break it down for him.

When I was marathoning P-P in preparation for S2 it struck me. His "awful act of evil" that he relies on is some form of sexual violence towards a woman. In the first episode the criminal is basically going to rape and murder a random woman. Later when they are testing out the jamming helmets guess who gets an extended murder scene? Yep, random pretty woman gets straddled on the street and has her face smashed in.

There's also that subplot that kind of lampshades this where Oryo turns young "pure" girls into macabre sculptures after sleeping with them. That's right, dead girls are the shocking art that got her dad in trouble with society.

The other thing that I saw recently by him was Fate Zero where Rin's mom (see I can't even remember her name because that's how important she is to the plot) exists as the motivating element for Kariya as an object of obsession which culminates in him straddling her in a church and strangling her. I don't know much about Maiya's backstory aside from child soldier/sexual slavery of some sort though.

Where I'm going with this is Urobuchi may has some weird hangups about women. Which wouldn't be unusual considering that Tomino kind of went through the same phase and he is responsible for some of the weirdest shows about women while also making some of the best female characters (everyone loves Emma).

The other option is that he's a fundamentally flawed writer because he knows that people find sexualized violence towards women shocking so he writes those in as generic "evil things happen" scenes that are guaranteed to get the point across. Which of course is its own problem because why would anyone respect a lazy writer, especially when he is propagating the trope that this is how you know a person is really evil.

Alternatively: you are stupid if you can't think of any way of showing a villain is evil aside from rape murdering a woman.

Is the rape scene in Clockwork Orange reflective of something of the directory/writers? Are they hacks because they couldn't find any other way to showcase how awful Malcolm's character is? Is George R.R. Martin's overuseuse of the trope reflective of some inner desire to see woman suffer? Doesn't Akame ga kill do something similar?

In P-P remember that both the copycat murderer girl is killed while being hunted by dogs, Akane's friend has her throat sliced open; men aren't immune either, Kogame's friend was murdered and embalmed the same way those girls were, the Korean immigrant and one of the enforcer's are gibbed, Mr. Uptight loses his arm while his father dies in front of him.

Urobuchi I do not believe has any particular affinity for showcasing sexual violence towards women, his "Butcher" M.O is taking what the most horrible fate you can imagine for a character male or female and then following through but this isn't as often sexual violence as you think.

I don't like the trope myself but I'm not going to go out of my way to armchair psychoanalyze someone I've never met.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is George R.R. Martin's overuseuse of the trope reflective of some inner desire to see woman suffer? Doesn't Akame ga kill do something similar?

bad example sport

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Urobuchi I do not believe has any particular affinity for showcasing sexual violence towards women, his "Butcher" M.O is taking what the most horrible fate you can imagine for a character male or female and then following through but this isn't as often sexual violence as you think.

Eej did say "sexualized violence" rather than "sexual violence." He's objecting to portrayals of strangulation, for example.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Eej did say "sexualized violence" rather than "sexual violence." He's objecting to portrayals of strangulation, for example.

I think a clarification is in order here; is his objection rooted in the belief that woman are targeted in a way that implies that Urobuchi has some sort of thing against woman in particular or is his objection that the violence is portrayed in a way to appear "sexy" and this reflects on Urobuchi having a liking for violence in of itself?

I think the latter is really entering into subjective Rorschach painting territory.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think that final episode was as good a wrap up as possible given the nonsense they had to work with. At the very least it was entertaining and had some great bg music.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Hagop posted:

"I don't want to live in this solar system anymore."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The funny thing is that Slaine had a perfect opportunity to end the war without killing all his loyal subordinates, blowing up his own base, and getting himself tossed in the gulag. If he had acceded to the princess's request to stop the war, he, Harklight, and all their loyalists would have easily been able to slip into the Princess Faction and thus be immune from all repercussions(like it appears any of the Orbital Knights who opted to stand down and listen to the princess were). He would have even been able to stay on and be his waifu's knight or whatever.

But, well, Slaine.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kanos posted:

The funny thing is that Slaine had a perfect opportunity to end the war without killing all his loyal subordinates, blowing up his own base, and getting himself tossed in the gulag. If he had acceded to the princess's request to stop the war, he, Harklight, and all their loyalists would have easily been able to slip into the Princess Faction and thus be immune from all repercussions(like it appears any of the Orbital Knights who opted to stand down and listen to the princess were). He would have even been able to stay on and be his waifu's knight or whatever.

But, well, Slaine.

I don't think Slaine felt that Asseylem cared for him anymore and the possibility of just 'slipping in' after he clearly had her under house arrest/detained for his own purposes and ambitions seems reasonably low from his perspective. Slaine is also fairly responsible in continuing the war despite clearly being in a position to stop it and someone had to pay for their crimes. Peace might not have been possible without his capture or held responsible in some manner as the UFE could point him out as a reason to say "Why should we believe you this time? You have a war criminal in your inner circle."

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
In what world would being a war criminal stop anyone being in an inner circle?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

But, well, Slaine.

He just felt the need to suicide for what he'd done, and everything else followed from that. His men were just too stiff-necked to surrender, so he had them retreat, and then Harklight's loyalty started acting up, and the rest was history.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I watched episodes 17 to 24 today and maaan that ending. I hoped Inaho would shoot Slaine on the beach, or at least Aseylum would get assassinated when she activated that reactor, but noooooo. What a waste of time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think Slaine felt that Asseylem cared for him anymore and the possibility of just 'slipping in' after he clearly had her under house arrest/detained for his own purposes and ambitions seems reasonably low from his perspective. Slaine is also fairly responsible in continuing the war despite clearly being in a position to stop it and someone had to pay for their crimes. Peace might not have been possible without his capture or held responsible in some manner as the UFE could point him out as a reason to say "Why should we believe you this time? You have a war criminal in your inner circle."

Slaine isn't any more of a war criminal than any of the other Orbital Knights, though, he was just the guy in charge for a brief period and largely just continued the policies of his immediate predecessor. Nothing he did was any more horrific than stuff the knights already did, like dropping castles onto population centers. The Princess pretty much begging him to stop the war with tears in her eyes is a pretty clear flag that she cares about him and him doing the right thing, since as shown she didn't even have to try to appeal to him since when he told her to gently caress off she went over his head anyway.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Haha just watched season 2 over the weekend, what an attrocious ending. :allears: I guess if nothing else it really drove home how dumb war is, but even that was done poorly.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Haha just watched season 2 over the weekend, what an attrocious ending. :allears: I guess if nothing else it really drove home how dumb war is, but even that was done poorly.

Hehe, but I mean who else didn't get tired of Slaine? Maribito sub-plot just died halfway as I predicted too. His subordinates are silly as hell though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Did you mean tired of Inaho? I'm confused.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Eej posted:

Did you mean tired of Inaho? I'm confused.

Nah, Inaho didn't do much other than be romote-controlled by his new robo eye for a few episodes. I did find out that he was quite skilled at chess though :v:

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

paragon1 posted:

Well, at least Inaho made Slaine cry at the end.

Just watched the finale after holding off for a while, and I couldn't agree more. Slaine deserved more suffering, and it happened. 10/10 ending in my book.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
you got weird ideas on why people deserve suffering dude

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

you got weird ideas on why people deserve suffering dude

Dude massacred a few dozen thousand (tentative estimate) earthlings so he could become the "earth-friendly" ruler and tried to marry his love by announcing his marriage to a girl disguised as her.

He's a pretty suffering-worthy dude.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

mythicknight posted:

Just watched the finale after holding off for a while, and I couldn't agree more. Slaine deserved more suffering, and it happened. 10/10 ending in my book.

I thought he'd die but oh well. I think spending prison with Inaho as your only visitor is worse. Still sad about how the latter didn't become a full cyborg.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I just watched episode 12 and wanted you all to know:

gently caress EVERYTHING

That is all.

:shepicide:Maybe martian guns aren't fatal...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stop now and just think up a good ending for yourself.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Martian guns: As fatal as a flyswatter.

Alternate snark: "Excuse me, but we can only have one stone-cold badass in this show."

It can't be worse than SAO.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ranzear posted:

Eh, it's pretty up there on lovely endings.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ranzear posted:

Martian guns: As fatal as a flyswatter.

Alternate snark: "Excuse me, but we can only have one stone-cold badass in this show."

That's a low bar, and I suggest finding higher bars for comparing things instead of continuing.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ranzear posted:

It's up there. Oh lordy is it up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

Stop now and just think up a good ending for yourself.

• Locked thread