Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesics
Apr 30, 2002

I was looking to see if anybody has had experience with donating older but working PC hardware (e.g. video cards, tv tuner, mb/cpu). I've found several places online that handle e-waste recycling but those seem primarily interested in bulk shipments instead of say, one small box of components. I was really hoping to find a place that would take the parts and use them for building cheap/free PCs or teaching classes for doing so. All of the old parts I want to get rid of fully work but they're behind the times a bit (e.g. Athlon 2500+ CPU). It doesn't seem there are any places in my area that do anything like this so the next best thing is sending it off somewhere. Ideally I could get reimbursed for shipping costs but it's not a huge deal -- I'm guessing any place like this would have some tax write-off benefit anyway. I'd much prefer going this route than throwing them out or taking them to a scrap yard. Anybody ever do this or have any other suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Unfortunately old PC parts are really a solid-waste disposal process. Desktops are commodity items, charities that want them want fleets of working PCs with licensed software, etc. Call your local scrapper or start building your bitcoin mining farm.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I've tried to offload dozens of computers and monitors before to a single company or organization that would use them, but failed even with that. It really is just trash unfortunately. Post a picture of everything on craigslist, ask for $50. It's really the best way for someone to get something they need

Aesics
Apr 30, 2002

Hmmm, that's too bad. Well, off to the scrap yard tomorrow. Thanks~

• Locked thread