Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I intend to. Theres a nice chevy nova for 1100 and has all the parts except the transmission. I may jump on it.

Edit: Link to the one I'm looking at: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4712485836.html

Too bad that's one of the later model crappy ones. But I guess that makes it a good sleeper to build up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Raluek posted:

Too bad that's one of the later model crappy ones. But I guess that makes it a good sleeper to build up!

Crappy? That thing looks awesome! I have the skill and will to make it a beast and that it will be if I find some money to buy it with that is....

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Huh, I didn't think it was controversial to consider the '67-74 to be the last attractive body style. Those late 70s ones look like Fairmonts to me. But if it makes >400HP that makes up for a lot.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Raluek posted:

Huh, I didn't think it was controversial to consider the '67-74 to be the last attractive body style. Those late 70s ones look like Fairmonts to me. But if it makes >400HP that makes up for a lot.

Might just be my style. I'd do some real work on something like this though and make it a real muscle car

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Kid in my high school had a late 70s Olds Omega. It was actually a bad rear end car, the engine was nothing special, just a run of the mill 350, but it was just a sweet looking car. Crager rims really rounded it out though, with the orange paint work and the white vinyl roof.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I offered 900 for it and they said they have to ask their partner. They'll get back to me tomorrow.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Well they got back to me and agreed on 900. I'm going to go take a look this weekend.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hell yes, Disco Novas are the poo poo, I'd love to see one in AI.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Hell yes, Disco Novas are the poo poo, I'd love to see one in AI.

I almost got one. And then almost got another. One day it'll go all the way.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
So I am going to look at a nice body 77 Chevy nova sunday. Got the cash to get it. What should I do to it if it pans out?

Edit: I have been told by a buddy that drags at the Atlanta Motor Speedway to get a 350 for it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

So I am going to look at a nice body 77 Chevy nova sunday. Got the cash to get it. What should I do to it if it pans out?

Edit: I have been told by a buddy that drags at the Atlanta Motor Speedway to get a 350 for it.

If you just want to dump a carbureted motor in it quick, yeah do a 350. If you want to have more fun, but have it also be more work, LS motor is the way to go. More power, better drivability, cheap, and they already have all the cool stuff you wish a 350 had (6-bolt mains on everything, roller everything, rubber seals on everything). Not really any more expensive if you find the right deal.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Local junk yards offer 5.3 truck engines for $400 with warranty, maybe shop around? I think the 5.7s are $70 more.

If going old school, do a 383, or for cheap and lots of grunt, a 400 with some summit heads and cam.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks guys! Sounds like I have a lot of options. I'll discuss it all with my racing buddy and see what he can find for a good price.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mafoose posted:

Local junk yards offer 5.3 truck engines for $400 with warranty, maybe shop around? I think the 5.7s are $70 more.

If going old school, do a 383, or for cheap and lots of grunt, a 400 with some summit heads and cam.

Depends on where you are. Here in CA, all those late-model trucks that would have a 5.3 have them disappear immediately upon their arrival. Never seen a 5.3 in a junkyard.

Thanks guys! Sounds like I have a lot of options. I'll discuss it all with my racing buddy and see what he can find for a good price.

As long as he isn't a good ole boy who hates modern technology. The LS motors really are better in every way than an old smallblock, they're just more complicated due to having to do up a custom harness or have one made, and needing a tune.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I live in metro Atlanta on the south side. Plenty of places to get parts. I'm thinking I need some penetrating oil for that bolt.

Greetings fellow Atlantian!

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

Greetings fellow Atlantian!

Greetings! Feel free to come by and help with the nova sometime!

Edit: Here's a pic of my buddys garage. I want everything there so bad.

Senior Funkenstien fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 2, 2014

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
So yeah I have this in my garage now. Time to start planning what kind of monster its gonna be in the end.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Greetings! Feel free to come by and help with the nova sometime!

Edit: Here's a pic of my buddys garage. I want everything there so bad.

I'd be more than useless, being a Eurotrash mechanic, but I'd be glad to drop by, and when I move into the new place, you'll have to come up and help me with my cars.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

I'd be more than useless, being a Eurotrash mechanic, but I'd be glad to drop by, and when I move into the new place, you'll have to come up and help me with my cars.

Glady! I have a truck and lots of tools for you to use.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Glady! I have a truck and lots of tools for you to use.

As do I. Many tools indeed!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

So yeah I have this in my garage now. Time to start planning what kind of monster its gonna be in the end.

Nice buy. Put a LSx in it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Yessss, disco Nova!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Disco Nova Disco Nova yesssssss I must have one.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Raluek posted:

Depends on where you are. Here in CA, all those late-model trucks that would have a 5.3 have them disappear immediately upon their arrival. Never seen a 5.3 in a junkyard.

I was talking about the not u-pull yards. They have a metal building full of steam cleaned engines already pulled and on pallets!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mafoose posted:

I was talking about the not u-pull yards. They have a metal building full of steam cleaned engines already pulled and on pallets!

Hmm. I'm not sure where those are, then. There's no LKQ near here, and that's the only chain I know. Guess I better do some searchin'.

E: According to Car-part, there are a few places in town that have 150k+ mile engines for $700-800. That's lovely, I got my Craigslist 80k mile motor for $450. All the <100k mile ones are $Call, so I can't imagine they're reasonable.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 3, 2014

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Small update and pics. I got into and pulled some of the parts and junk out of the car to go through. Seats are moldy at the bottoms and completely broken and useless so I'm going to have to see if there are replacements out there. Engine is going to come out(and probably to a scrap yard) so I can work on upgrading the front end steering, brakes, and suspension.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
More updates coming soon. I have secured a 350 that runs and works for 600. Front end still needs everything done like new bushings, joints, calipers and rotors.

Edit: School is interfering in my restoration project but hopefully I'll have a couple classes out of the way and be able to do some real picture taking and disassembly on the nova this weekend.

Senior Funkenstien fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 12, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
If you haven't heard the motor run, make sure to take it apart before you install it. I've been burned way too many times by "recently rebuilt, runs good!" craigslist motors.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Great buy, I had a 76 Nova back in the day. Loved it. Looking for another one.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Got a little bit of easy stuff done today. Took the hood and quarter panels off to give me more room to remove the engine. Sooooo much room to work I cant believe it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Got a little bit of easy stuff done today. Took the hood and quarter panels off to give me more room to remove the engine. Sooooo much room to work I cant believe it.

Don't forget, this is a compact, too. :v:

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Got in the Nova and pulled the front bench seat out last night. The floor pans look exceptional. Thing have been slow going so far as time and money arent really in abundance this time of year. A friend of mine has some bucket seats he's hopefully gonna sell me.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
Slow going on the nova but work is getting done. Got the back seat removed and took the shopvac to the interior to get all the leaves and such out. Fun part I sadly didn't take pics of was the dead rat removal from the trunk lid where it made a nest. Here's a stripped interior pic.

This pic is the passengers front floor pan. You can see the heavy pitting in some areas and there are holes in those same areas that need patching.

Got myself a fluxcore welder and some sheet metal for patches so at some point I'll have some pics of my attempts at learning that in the hopes of repairing the floor pan.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'm excited to see how you do with repairing the rust as a first time welder with no/minimal experience. I have a project coming up that will definitely require some rust repair, and I'm in the never-welded-before camp too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'm excited to see how you do with repairing the rust as a first time welder with no/minimal experience. I have a project coming up that will definitely require some rust repair, and I'm in the never-welded-before camp too.

So far I haven't gotten to cutting out the rusted out areas. I have been practicing on some sheet metal to get my technique down. Right now I'm working on dropping out the fuel tank so I can weld up some patches in the trunk floor pan as well. I'm kinda waiting for christmas cause I should be getting a new digicam and then I can take some better pics to post.

• Locked thread