Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

In an isolated corner of a faraway kingdom stands a wizard's tower. That proud stone spire holds untold secrets of the mage known as Alarel the Mad. What secrets of the universe does Alarel hold? I said, untold.

You hope to find out, one day. But not today. Alarel sets his apprentices to far more mundane tasks than sorcery. Today's chores include cleaning the kitchen, finding herbs in the forest, grooming the owlbear and organizing the scrollcases. Your fellow apprentices share the work load, hoping to win favor with and one day soak up a bit of Alarel's knowledge.

As for Alarel, you know he's not really insane. But he's found it a useful charade. No one comes around to check on your lonely tower. The mage certainly doesn't let you out much, either. If supplies from the nearby town are required, he personally goes to get them. He's been going there a lot, actually. The longest trip lasted a week.

Something might be wrong, though. Alarel is always punctual. But last night he didn't come back.

~~~

Alarel and Winnie

Alarel and a late apprentice. RIP, Cathy.

Alarel the Mad is known for many things, but one of his most prized creations is known affectionately as Winnie the Hoo. A cross between bear and owl, Winnie is primarily a carnivore as his owl parentage would suggest - but he has a bit of a sweet tooth, a tiny bit of omnivorous bear birthright. Winnie's appetite for both fresh meat and delicious candies keeps the town butchers busy indeed.

Creating the monstrosity was on Alarel's bucket list, '101 things to do before lichdom'. Birthing such a horror did him no favors with the local druids, but it did win him the grudging respect of the local hag, Olivia. She often leaves him delicious candied hams. At least, we think it's ham.

Winnie is also Alarel's primary mode of transport. Everyone scatters out of the way when the owlbear cart comes to town. At night, Winnie curls up into a ball on the ground floor of the tower and hoots himself to sleep. The nocturnal life of an owl doesn't suit him at all.

Winnie the Hoo

Character Creation

This is a game of dreamers hoping to one day join the ranks of wizard supremacy. You are apprenticed to Alarel the Mad in a remote corner of nowhere. This will be a relatively short PBP with about 4 players.

Make a level 1 wizard using the D&D Basic rules available here. Just follow the character creation steps and everything should be pretty straight-forward. Give us a picture and sheet and whatnot, and tell us all about your apprentice!

-How did you end up here? Wizard dad sent you away? Top of your class? Magical scholarship?
-What's your relationship with Alarel? Are you a favored apprentice or the dunce of the class?
-Apprenticeship is pretty isolated. Do you miss certain people or places?

I'm in #wizardsupremacy on synirc if you have questions.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Sign me up,

I'll make a wizard.

Edit: eh, I probably work too much now. But you guys better make this a fun game.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
This sounds interesting. I'll get something up as soon as I get home in a few hours.

All I have access to right now is the online basic rules, which leaves me with just an evoker build. I'm ok with that, but I kind of wanted to do necromatic. Is that even in the basic box set? What is?

edit:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Evoker the rest come in the PHB.

Anyway I will read this but I won't be playing. PBP has never really worked well for me.

Ok, so I will be an Evoker that wanted to be a Necromancer but didn't have the grades.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 17, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Underwhelmed posted:

This sounds interesting. I'll get something up as soon as I get home in a few hours.

All I have access to right now is the online basic rules, which leaves me with just an evoker build. I'm ok with that, but I kind of wanted to do necromatic. Is that even in the basic box set? What is?

Evoker the rest come in the PHB.

Anyway I will read this but I won't be playing. PBP has never really worked well for me.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Underwhelmed posted:

Is that even in the basic box set? What is?

Download it and find out! Link is in the OP and those are the only rules we are using.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

ritorix posted:

Download it and find out! Link is in the OP and those are the only rules we are using.

I have the PDF, I was hoping/wondering if the physical box had more subclasses/paths/whatevers. But can do, a whole party of evokers means magic missiles for everything!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

quote:

Willy Hollins
Lightfoot halfling
Wizard 2
14hp
+2 prof
16 dex
16 cha
14 con
8 int*
12 wis*
8 str
Background: Folk hero
Defining Event: I stood alone against a terrible monster. An evil mage's huge, heavy armored goon came to check my village for the spark of magic aptitude. He opened his right hand and asked which finger was the most powerful. Everyone took turns pointing at his thumb or forefinger, then I pointed at my own birdy and said "This one!" and ran away so the rest of the villagers could pack up and scatter. Woke up here, Alarel had saved me from the monster, I told him what happened, and because as it happens the right answer to its riddle was "my finger," he took me in as his apprentice.
Personality Trait: I judge people by their actions, not their words. Alarel's been saying he'll let me outside to pick some ingredients soon, but does he ever? No. Not even a promise of fine bitters, the pride of my old village, made with all secret ingredients, can convince him.
Ideal: FREEDOM. Everyone should just speak their minds and get it over with!
Bond: My tools remind me of my glorious past as the town mixer, gotta remember my roots! Alarel might suck at teaching me magic, but he does make sure to keep me stocked enough to mix us antidotes, bombs, and fruity cocktails. Maybe one day we'll make potions, I saw him bring back a book on it...
Flaw: I don't watch what I say, but eh, I can talk myself out of whatever trouble it gets me in. Eventually.
Skills: Animal Handling +3, Survival +3, Medicine +3, Insight +3
Tools: Alchemist's Kit, vehicles (land) Herbalism Kit
Profs: Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
Equipment
Dagger, Arcane Focus (crystal), Scholar's Pack (a backpack, a book of lore, a bottle of ink, an ink pen, 10 sheets of parchment, a little bag of sand, and a small knife), Spellbook, Alchemist's Tools, a shovel, an iron pot, set of common clothes, a belt pouch containing 10 gp Herbalism kit.
Trinket: 65 A nightcap that, when worn, gives you pleasant dreams. Alarel brought me it so I wouldn't have to drink to sleep anymore unless I wanted to.
Spells
0th: Light, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion
1st: Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Identify, Magic Missile, Shield, Sleep, Mage Armor, Silent Image

Class features:
Divination Savant: Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, the gold and time you must spend to copy a divination spell into your spellbook is halved.
Portent: Starting at 2nd level when you choose this school, glimpses of the future begin to press in on your awareness. When you finish a long rest, roll two d20s and record the numbers rolled. You can replace any attack roll, saving throw, or ability check made by you or a creature that you can see with one of these foretelling rolls. You must choose to do so before the roll, and you can replace a roll in this way only once per turn.
Each foretelling roll can be used only once. When you finish a long rest, you lose any unused foretelling rolls.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 7, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Borsir Frostbrew
Mountain Dorf Soldier

I was a soldier first, in the armies of Sabileth. I carried standards into battle with the orcs, and the other things in the dark, but my strength is not that of my fellows. So the elders offered me a choice: I could either stay and join the support staff, learning the culinary arts, or I could go see the mad wizard Aleral and convince him to take me on as an apprentice. I walked six weeks to the mage's tower, and camped upon his doorstep for another two before he let me in. It was my ales that did it, truth be told: after fifteen days, he came and asked what I could offer him. I gave him a bottle of my finest, and he invited me inside for dinner.

Aleral appreciates my moments of brilliance as much as he disdains my moments of drunkenness. I'm not lazy in my studies, or slacking in my duties, and it's clear that Aleral values my knowledge of the wold beyond magic. But I'm not the smartest, or the most talented, or the most well-spoken, and he looks down on me when I am foolish.

I long for the old, cold stone of Sabileth. And the company of Gergor and Lovus, fellow soldiers in the militia, men who knew how to play a proper game of cards, the one that took a barrel of ale and six hours to finish. It's harder to get them to play here, and I can't really blame them: they didn't grow up with it like I did.

Str 10
Dex 11
Con 15
Int 15
Wis 15
Cha 9

Alignment: Lawful Good
Size: 4'7", 160 lbs.
Speed: 25 ft
HP: 8
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Spell Save DC: 12
Spell Attack Mod: +4
Saving Throws: Int, Wis
Skills: Arcana, Athletics, Intimidation, Medicine

Personality Traits: I love the mathematics behind everything, especially Dwarvish stonework, and I am quite short with people.
Ideal: I can use my powers to help other beings that walk the Earth.
Bond: My rod, the focus I use, it's older than my lineage. It is made from some of the first steel ever to come from the old mountain Sabileth, forged for another fledgling mage long ago.
Flaw: I love the drink, maybe a bit too much. I've a whole store or ales in the basement, and I usually indulge myself when I've got the free time.

Abilities:
- Darkvision 60'
- Advantage against poison, Resistance against Poison Damage
- Heavy armor doesn't reduce speed
- Proficient with Battleaxe, Handaxe, Throwing Hammer, Warhammer,
Dagger, Dart, Sling, Quarterstaff, Light Crossbow
- Tool Proficiency with Brewer's Supplies, Deck of Cards, Vehicles (Land)
- History untrained for origin of stonework, double bonus
- Languages: Common, Dwarvish
- Spellcasting
- Arcane Recovery: Once per day, while resting and consulting your spellbook,
you may gain a number of exhausted spell slots with combined level of one-half your wizard level (rounded up), no slots above level 6.
- Military Rank (Standard-Bearer Specialty)

Spells Per Day:
0 (3K): Light, Mage Hand, Ray of Frost
1 (2/D): Charm Person, Detect Magic, Identify, Mage Armor, Silent Image, Sleep

Gear:
- Dagger
- Arcane Focus: Rod
- Scholar's Pack
- Spellbook
- Insignia of Rank
- Tattered Banner of the Orcs
- Deck of Cards
- Common Clothes
- 10 GP
- Trinket: Plain Dragon Talon Necklace; Wizard Trinket: 1d100 28
4d4x10 More Gear

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 17, 2014

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

quote:

Alister Eastwell
Human
Wiz-1
AC-12
Alignment CG
HPmax-7
STR 9(-1)
DEX15 (+2)
CON 13 (+1)
INT 16 (+3)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 11 (+0)

Background: Sage
Alarel isn't my first mentor. I have had a few "issues" with a couple of past mentors and those apprenticeships were unfortunately terminated. The thing is, sometimes people that we today see as visionaries were at one time seen as unsavory, weird, and maybe even unethical. If the lore is really supposed to be "forbidden" or "not meant to be known by mortal minds" why in the hells does everyone seem to have a copy of it lying around their tower? I guess it doesn't matter now, because this is the last stop. My uncle was able to pull a few strings to get me here, but even he won’t help me again if I blow this.

Alarel seems different than most of my previous instructors. He isn't the warmest of sorts, but he is undoubtedly brilliant. I haven’t been here long enough to feel comfortable sharing my interest in the forbidden arts, but something tells me he already knows. I have been hoping for a chance to get into his private library, but I can't risk the other apprentices seeing me. The last thing I need is to be kicked out of yet another apprenticeship.

Personality Traits: I like to listen to all sides of an argument before ignoring them and doing what I was planning on doing anyway. I also like to take apart dead things, and mostly dead things.
Ideal: No Limits- Don’t let little things like “people say you shouldn't” keep you from doing what will probably turn out to be the right thing.
Bond: I am searching for the secrets of life and death, so that one day mortals might conquer death once and for all without all that messy gods or brain eating stuff.
Flaw: I overlook obvious solutions in favor of needlessly complicated ones. I am easily distracted by the promise of information.

Skills: Arcana,History,Investigation, Medicine
Languages: common, abyssal,infernal, draconic
proficencies: dagger, dart, sling, staff, light crossbow
gear: dagger, staff, wand(focus) fine clothes, healer’s kit, perfume, spell book, empty vial x5, component pouch, backpack, Big book of Death and Decay (lore tome), ink and pen, parchment x10; 60gp
cantrips: ray of frost, mage hand, light
level1: mage armor, charm, sleep, thunder wave, silent image, detect magic

edit: picture added

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 21, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Immeral Liadon

Immeral Liadon was a bit of a sage, seeking knowledge for the sake of knowledge, as well as seeking out mysteries both mundane and unreal. In his search for knowledge he came across a terrible book filled with secrets that he feels he must safeguard against those who would use it for ill. During his search for knowledge he came to the attention of Alarel. Whats more Alarel learned of the book Immeral carries around. Alarel sought out Immeral and offered to help sate his curiosity, to help him in his search for knowledge, he knew just what to say to get Immeral's cooperation. And so Immeral became one of Alarel's apprentices, and in the process Alarel gained access to the ancient text Immeral carries around.

Immeral quickly showed himself to be an apt pupil, and a bit of a teacher's pet. He was smart, he was knowledgeable, he had a gift for magic in his blood, and he came with a book of terrible secrets. And so he was a favorite student. Though his fellow students may not have cared for him showing up and getting so much attention all of a sudden.

Being confined is a bit restrictive for Immeral. There are plenty of books that he hasn't read yet. Yet he longs for his journeys through the world, seeking out knowledge and mysteries. He doesn't particularly miss any specific people, he just misses going on adventures.

quote:

Immeral Liadon
High Elf
Wizard 1
8hp
+2 prof
16 dex
12 cha
15 con
18 int*
13 wis*
12 str

Background: Sage
Speciality: Wizard's Apprentice
Personality Trait: There's nothing I like more than a good mystery.
Ideal: KNOWLEDGE. The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge.
Bond: I have an ancient text that holds terrible secrets that must not fall into the wrong hands.
Flaw: Most people scream and run when they see a demon. I stop and take notes on its anatomy.
Skills: Arcana, History, Insight, Investigation, Perception
Tools:
Profs: Daggers, darts, longsword, shortsword, shortblow, longbow, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
Languages: Common, Elvish, Orc.
Fey Ancestry: Advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can't put me to sleep.
Keen Senses: Proficiency in Perception skill.
Darkvision: Can see in dim light within 60ft as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were
dim light. Can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Trance: Don't sleep. Instead remain semiconscious while meditating deeply for 4 hours a day. After
resting in this way gain same benefit a human does after 8 hours of sleep.
Elf Weapon Training: Proficiency in longsword, shortsword, shortbow and longbow.
Cantrip: Know one cantrip of my choice from the Wizard spell list.
Extra Language: Can speak, read and write one extra language of my choice.
Equipment:
Dagger, a Component Pouch, Explorer's Pack (includes a backpack, a bedroll,
a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. Also 50 ft of hemp rope strapped to the side of it),
a bottle of ink, a quill, a Spellbook, a small knife, a letter from a dead colleague posing a question I have not yet been able
to answer, a set of common clothes, a belt pouch containing 10 gp
Trinket: 89 A vial of dragon blood.
Spells:
0th: Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Shocking Grasp
1st: Burning Hands, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shield, Sleep, Thunderwave

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Looks good so far, keep it coming.

Also I need a cute name for an owlbear. Suggestions??

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Oldgrump.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Poohooty.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Beaky.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Winnie the Hoo

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

goodness posted:

Winnie the Hoo

We're done here. You've captured the essence of both bear and owl, melding the two into a single unified whole. Truly you are a wizard.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
And now for some story time.

Alarel and a late apprentice. RIP, Cathy.

Alarel the Mad is known for many things, but one of his most prized creations is known affectionately as Winnie the Hoo. A cross between bear and owl, Winnie is primarily a carnivore as his owl parentage would suggest - but he has a bit of a sweet tooth, a tiny bit of omnivorous bear birthright. Winnie's appetite for both fresh meat and delicious candies keeps the town butchers busy indeed.

Creating the monstrosity was on Alarel's bucket list, '101 things to do before lichdom'. Birthing such a horror did him no favors with the local druids, but it did win him the grudging respect of the local hag, Olivia. She often leaves him delicious candied hams. At least, we think it's ham.

Winnie is also Alarel's primary mode of transport. Everyone scatters out of the way when the owlbear cart comes to town. At night, Winnie curls up into a ball on the ground floor of the tower and hoots himself to sleep. The nocturnal life of an owl doesn't suit him at all.

Winnie the Hoo

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I'm just gonna go ahead and submit krag hack the Wizard.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
That's sort of a natural progression for Krag. Starts life as a fighter, morphs into a cleric, then goes super-saiyan as a wizard.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

We can rebuild him. We can make him stronger. We have the caster supremacy. Also I want to just submit Krag again but I can't do it with the free stuff. I did my best to remake him in his god's image (a wizard) though.

KRAG "Lich Slayer, Mine Explorer, Hero of Baldur's Gate" HACK

After murdering a Lich for reasons Krag can't fully remember Krag realised that Wizzies hurt Krag a lot. More than when Trolls kept bopping Krag on head. Krag, after hours of deep contemplation thought Krag should learn to be a wizzie too because of how hard they hit Krag and Krag always wants to learn new ways to hit hard. Krag wanted to bring both Hug Hug and Cid to wizzie school but they did not allow pets and Krag only have suitcase big enough to fit Hug Hug. Krag misses Cid but thinks Cid will have a lot of fun without him and will have lots of stories to tell when Krag is done.

pre:
Krag Hack
Human Wizard 2

HP: 15/15
HD: 2/2 (1d6)
AC: 10(13 with Mage Armour)
Saves(+2): Int, Wis
Size: Medium
Speed: 25 ft.
Alignment: Kill ur self OP

Str 14
Dex 10
Con 16
Int 16
Wis 8
Cha 8

Attacks:
Quarterstaff +4(1d6+2), Versatile(1d8), Slashing
Javelin +4(1d6+2), Thrown(range 30/120), Piercing

Languages: Common, Dwarven

Background: Folk Hero
Feature: Rustic Hospitality

Defining Event: Slayed a Lich
Personality Trait: Krag Hack
Ideal: Krag Hack
Bond: His faithful Squire Hug Hug the Goblin.
Flaw: Krag Hack

Proficiencies(+2):
Weapon: Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
Armour: None
Skills: Animal Handling, Survival, Investigation, Arcana, Medicine 
Tools: Artisan’s tools(Murderhoboing Kit), Vehicles(land)

Class Traits:
Necromancy Savant
Grim Harvest

Feats:
War Caster

Spells(DC 13) - 4 Spells Known per Day:
Cantrips: Light, Firebolt, Chill Touch
Level 1(3/day): Sleep, Mage Armour  Shield, Magic Missile, Ray of Sickness, Grease (3 left)

Spellbook:
Cantrips: Light, Firebolt, Shocking Grasp
Level 1: Mage Armour, Sleep, Shield, Magic Missile, Burning Hands, Ray of Sickness, Grease

Arcane focus, Spellbook, Explorers Pack
Artisan’s tools (Murderhoboing Kit), shovel,iron pot, set of common clothes
10 gp

kingcom fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 13, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Alright I'm waiting on KRAG HACK v4.0 or whatever version we are up to. After that it's go time.

I've seen everyone in IRC except Underwhelmed, and you still need a pic. So check in here or in IRC so I know you're still alive and interested. Everyone else is hereby enrolled in school. Ryuujin you need a pic for Immeral too.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

ritorix posted:

Alright I'm waiting on KRAG HACK v4.0 or whatever version we are up to. After that it's go time.

I've seen everyone in IRC except Underwhelmed, and you still need a pic. So check in here or in IRC so I know you're still alive and interested. Everyone else is hereby enrolled in school. Ryuujin you need a pic for Immeral too.

Yeah, I'm alive. Pic is incoming, I've just been out a lot this weekend and primarily on a phone, but I have been watching the thread.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Cool, just checking. We are going to go with these 5 then, 'recruitment is closed' :frogsiren:

Game thread will be up later today probably.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
And here is the game thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3652045

Go do your initial posts and impressions over there. Good luck!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The game inspired me to get off my rear end and finish up my owlbear mini.

Now he's a badass. With wizards, of course.

Superior to that Starter Set owlbear. Just look at those fierce eyes. Don't gently caress with this owlbear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
This game is a thing of beauty. :allears:

(2:03:47 AM) Ritorix: this is like what happens when 2 groups meet on Walking Dead
(2:04:09 AM) Ritorix: 'hey lets trade som' BLAM BLAM BLAM arrrrgh
(2:04:12 AM) Ritorix: braaains
(2:04:47 AM) king_com: welp

• Locked thread