Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I like overreacting and generally being neurotic. Sorry guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
So were we going with the riot idea? Because otherwise I kinda want to slap that window on a wall and jump out after picking the chains.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
e: Well there we go, hopefully that works.

zachol fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 14, 2014

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Well, like Willy said, I'm gunnin' to embarrass the government a bit, preferably in a way that sends the specific message that Wee Willy Whizzenthorpe is not to be taken lightly, so I'm all for sparking a riot and slipping out in the confusion. A bit safer, too. Let the other saps down there get killed by the guards, we'll slink out safe as houses while they're occupied. However, I am a bit concerned that nobody else has posted anything.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I think everyone else is as intimidated by the skill game system as I am. ;)

So, if I wanted to know information like where the lights were getting power from, how the elevator worked, or if there are other ways out to the surface, would that be part of the skill game, or would that be just a more basic check? Since "Demand" is the only action listed under Negotiation, would that be what we have to use to suss out the motivations of the other factions, or would that be more of a narrative thing, something we could do before engaging in the full skill game?

And a couple basic narrative questions: where are the downstairs guards? Are they all over the place, or do they seem to mostly stick to certain areas? How hard do the manacles look to pop off? And are the guards and prisoners we've seen so far mostly human, mostly demi-human, or a mix? Could I tell how climbable the elevator shaft looked on the way down?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 19, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I probably should've put more detail into the skill game.
"Concessions," specifically concessions taken from the guards, need to take the form of sabotage or other distractions. In general, the riot as a whole is going to be represented by a series of favorable distractions made by the inmates, but within that system sabotage and other distractions can also count, even if not directly caused by the inmates.
However, the act of escape is going to be covered by its own escape/pursuit game. Planning the escape in general isn't covered by any sort of skill game, and you should use regular skills (at lower dcs, usually 12 to 14) to uncover information, at any point.

For those sorts of power/light or elevator questions or "where does food come from," it'll be covered by its own check, or a small series of checks (engineering to get a vague idea of the elevator, bluff plus engineering for a closer look). If you find someone friendlyish with a good Diplomacy heck or two, you could ask a range of questions and get basic answers, and there's other stuff you could get from observation.
Generally, I want the riot setup to be a relatively long process, where in the meanwhile you're also making unrelated skill checks to do other things, particularly work out the plan if escape.

Downstairs guards are sparse. There are a pair directly outside the doors right now, while most are inside, but they generally rely on the manacles being noisy to keep tabs on them in the broader mines.
Everyone in the dorms right now are wearing manacles. There's probably more than a few people in here who could get theirs off, so there's probably a good reason.
Guards are almost universally human, as with most government business in Talingarde. There might be a few elves, and one or two dwarves, though you didn't notice any on the way. Prisoners are mostly human, but the demihuman population in here looks a bit larger proportionally than the rest of the island (something like 80-20, compared to a rough 90-10 outside). You can see a few hobgoblins off in a corner, for example, as well as the occasional orc.

Everyone, totally feel free to ask more questions like that if you think of them. Or make suggestions.

e: It might be better to have a unified skill game for the overall escape process. I'm going to sleep on it and try to write something up by tomorrow afternoon, but keep posting actions/asking questions in the meantime.

zachol fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 19, 2014

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah I kinda held off on initiating anything since the riot was Willy's idea, but I assume from the couple posts regarding the skill game/environment that we're pretty free to make up pretty much whatever NPC we want that fits?

I still need to read more on how skill games are supposed to work, but Arkin would probably try to get started laying some sort of groundwork to get the conservatives & radicals working together on this (likely by approaching the old man's guards/friends first to get a better idea of the prison politics). I'll have something to that effect written up later today when I get home.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, since other than perception, Thongur's social skills suck, I was gonna see about some sabotage; my engineering is hella good.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

The timeline for what constitutes an [Action round] is pretty vague. For now I was thinking one would compromise the next few hours scoping out the place and getting a feel for the social order in the dorms. Then you could try some approaches, and then we'd have the skill checks.
Skill games have this weird thing where everyone rolls anyway against each skill for each action round, so for now focus more on what narratively fits in general. If that makes sense? I had to read the section a couple of times before it clicked.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Like a billion things are piling up for me. Tomorrow isn't going to be much better.
Make posts, describe NPCs, start feeling out the dorm room. Don't worry about checks or skill games or whatever for now. Alright?

More questions about what you've seen or the feelings you're getting are great, I can answer those easy, and it would help get things rolling better.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Three posts in a row, neat.
I'd understand if people aren't interested in the game, but I'd really like to continue. I think it could go in some fun directions and I'm still pretty enthusiastic about it.
If people have questions or complaints (besides the obvious "why has it been nearly a month"), I'd love to hear them and fix what I can or clear up anything that's confusing.

e: If you want to drop, please say so explicitly. If there's at least some interest still from the current players I could just reopen apps, and I could also probably run the story fine with 4 or even 3 characters.
If you're interested in joining, feel free to post as well. This is still a really great time to introduce new PCs.

zachol fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 18, 2014

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sorry, I went to bed early last night and didn't really see the thread was updated until today. I'm also not sure I know what I'm doing with these skill checks and escape minigames, but I have faith I'll pick it up as it goes along. Your explanation did make it pretty helpful.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are we allowed to take the same action multiple times in an action round?

Also, when it says you may perform an action "for free," does that mean the action doesn't count towards your action limit (i.e. you can do that action plus three more), or does it just mean you don't have to pay tokens for that action (i.e. you can perform that action plus two more)? And if we set up a Sabotage action in the preparation round, is it another action to set it off in the Execution round, or will it go automatically?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 23, 2014

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I intended "for free" to mean you could take it in addition to the other three. One of those actions has that language, the other doesn't, but that's just me being sloppy. I'm going to edit it in to the one that doesn't for clarity.
With the same action thing, I was searching for a while on the forums for clarification and couldn't find any, and assumed there must be an implicit "no you can't." However, I just noticed that the Parkour skill game explicitly says no. So it looks like by default you can.
For this game you can double up, and in the future I'll be more careful when writing these things.

e: Triggering a prepared Sabotage is free.
Put 'em in Irons is considered attacking/alienating a party.

zachol fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 23, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

zachol posted:

I intended "for free" to mean you could take it in addition to the other three. One of those actions has that language, the other doesn't, but that's just me being sloppy. I'm going to edit it in to the one that doesn't for clarity.
With the same action thing, I was searching for a while on the forums for clarification and couldn't find any, and assumed there must be an implicit "no you can't." However, I just noticed that the Parkour skill game explicitly says no. So it looks like by default you can.
For this game you can double up, and in the future I'll be more careful when writing these things.
Yeah, I was looking through the skill games section trying to find it, too, and didn't see it.

I think not letting us double up is perfectly reasonable, and saying that now is just fine (based on how things are written, I would have assumed that to be the case, even though it's not explicitly stated). Early on, I think it's advantageous to us to be able to double up, but down the line, I think we would be better of with not being able to, just because having the guards do a double Clamp Down or something like that could be loving ruinous. I just wanted to make sure that we weren't having the other groups doubling up when we thought weren't allowed to.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

edit: Heyo nevermind, I see what you're saying.
Alright, no doubling up.

Triggering Sabotage doesn't use an action.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To my fellow players: what do you want to do in our first action round? We're going to have at least two tokens. I'm inclined to say we just Make the Rounds, bank the rest of the tokens for later. Broadly speaking, I think we want to make at least one set of friends, get going with some of the back-scratching actions, and probably do at least one more round of just Make the Rounds to build capital (since Unrest and Insecurity don't go negative, it seems like a good way to build capital early).

I think I've got a pretty good hold on how these skill games work, now.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm fine with that.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Sounds pretty good to me too.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Sure, sounds legit. I'm mostly hoping others know more than I do about how all this works, which seems to be the case. :v:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

zachol posted:

Anyway please do keep describing character behavior and actions. The skill game is supposed to supplement RP (or at least go parallel with it).

I gotcha, just wanted to make sure I understood what was going on. Also replying here so I don't keep cluttering the game thread with my table talk.

Was gonna use a token on Make the Rounds, build up some capital and get acquainted with the gangs. That cool with y'all/any thoughts on the other tokens/actions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Also I'm sorry if I sound snippy or pushy or whatever, I don't mean to. I'm mainly worried that people are worried that I'll get angry about something like reskinning, which is why I specifically called out that reinterpreting Capital thing.

• Locked thread