Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Is there a game that scratcges the character action and management itch that isn't state of decay

SoD is good but i played it like 3 times already. That lotr game looks sweet but itll be two years before that

NOT MINECRAFT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Act Raiser 2 dude

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

Iggy Koopa posted:

Act Raiser 2 dude

Really? I meam really??

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

idk if you mean like really, like its bad or really like you dont know it exists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkExWD02Y9U

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Iggy Koopa posted:

idk if you mean like really, like its bad or really like you dont know it exists?

do you think anybody is going to watch that video

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i wouldnt it was just the first hit for actraiser 2!

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Iggy Koopa posted:

It doesn't have the town building parts. I want the town building and the rear end beating, not just the rear end beating.

Were those Dark something games on ps2 any good? I remember them having a town you built and action gameplay.

Bastion kinda did it but it was really transparently just a cute submenu design

I want to: 1. run a village, 2. beat the poo poo out of things

E: actraiser 2 is a good action game though

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

thuly posted:

It doesn't have the town building parts. I want the town building and the rear end beating, not just the rear end beating.

Were those Dark something games on ps2 any good? I remember them having a town you built and action gameplay.

Bastion kinda did it but it was really transparently just a cute submenu design

I want to: 1. run a village, 2. beat the poo poo out of things

oh poo poo dark cloud 1 and 2 yeah dude those would be perfect for you for real i cant believe i never thought of that and i honestly didnt know actraiser 2 didnt have town building poo poo sorry!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
dark cloud 2 ain't bad, it has town building and minigolf

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Hog Butcher posted:

i sent an email to garbage day since ozma is who i usually ask idk what hell say

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Oh legend of mana was ok, but it had a "deep crafting system" which is code for grindfest

Man it is really apparent that LoM and FFTA were from the same era at square looking back on it

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Hog Butcher posted:

Sold.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Iggy Koopa posted:

i sent an email to garbage day since ozma is who i usually ask idk what hell say

also if that's too big:
http://i.imgur.com/0a8yceJ.gif
http://i.imgur.com/70yTuoC.gif

both of these own

also spheda, the minigolf, gets you serious bonuses but it's hard as gently caress. If you are like a mario golf ace you might be able to do the tutorial holes

the tutorial mission will actually take over for you if you gently caress up too many times doing it and will talk poo poo at you

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Is mount&blade a management +action thing too? I really just want murder with a place to call home.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

thuly posted:

Is mount&blade a management +action thing too? I really just want murder with a place to call home.

Yea.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Reading The Wealth Of Nations made me want to first play a full saga in the Paradox Grand Strategy Series and also be a merchant in Mount & Blade, due to the chapters about the carriage of produce.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
How do you start out as a merchant in Mount and Blade

it seems like a fast trip to getting hosed over

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It's pretty easy to be a merchant in mountain bald since the trade networks in all the games don't change much. If you find one thing that works you'll be able to milk it until you're bored to loving tears.

The problem is that hauling trade goods makes you slower, to the point where if you are a particularly successful merchant you will be unbearably loving slow. The best thing to do is just go win a melee fight or two to get past level 1, pick up some Looting/Surgery/Pathfinding ranks and maybe a cheap officer or two to fill in any skill gaps, then roll down to pick up some Kherg clansmen (since they all roll with horses and won't slow you down), and then go stomp the poo poo out of sea raiders or some equally worthless flavor of bandit until you loot enough money from their corpses to do what you want. The Looting skill is basically your biggest moneymaker in that game. Looting and murder.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Is warband good or should I get the first one? A thing said warband 'stripped out rpg mechanics' but if I can still run a merc company and give dudes that do good murdering looted masterwork weapons and poo poo I should be good to go, I don't want to care about Carraway Burnside's knitting skill

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

thuly posted:

Is warband good or should I get the first one? A thing said warband 'stripped out rpg mechanics' but if I can still run a merc company and give dudes that do good murdering looted masterwork weapons and poo poo I should be good to go, I don't want to care about Carraway Burnside's knitting skill

The original is literally Warband, only missing a ton of poo poo. There's no reason to get it over Warband, or at all really.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mount & Blade: Warband, or, as I like to say, Mount & Blade: Bazinga Edition,

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

I started m&b, I m gonna play it some more and hopefully the numbers abd controls will start making sense

You got anything a little more *checks the corners* casual ?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Dark Cloud 2 but you also need to like semi-bland zelda combat

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

thuly posted:

I started m&b, I m gonna play it some more and hopefully the numbers abd controls will start making sense

You got anything a little more *checks the corners* casual ?

uh... Overlord 2? :shrug:

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Turns out this is fine, I was just too tired to realize it. Thimps.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
should i keep playing it

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
With M&B I always get to a point where the king and I are buddies and he gives me a little town and I just want to settle down and be a good lord.

And then some Vaegir or Nord rear end in a top hat more powerful than me runs in and pillages my town and I just want the petty wars to stop and for everyone to stop being dicks. Leave my people the gently caress alone you assholes!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

A Valley Without Wind 1 and 2 have both those things, but they are bad games. I think the first one's funny bad but most people don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Valley 1 is actually playable, Valley 2 is all about getting your poo poo pushed in by demons.

• Locked thread