Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Seriously, the rules use a generic 'he' throughout? Is that where they needed to save costs by saving two characters worth of ink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
Is anybody going to GenCon this weekend?

TI4 is supposed to be on sale there, and I'm looking to acquire a copy, since I'm flying to Denver at the end of the month to play TI with my old group.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eschatos posted:

I tried it with I think six players a few months back. It was not great. I got stuck as the loyalist, so the whole game for me was waiting for someone to try to make a move on Mecatol Rex. We gave out alliance tokens to improve the odds even further. That caused a big ol anticlimax and it ended in a four way victory. The other two players had goals that required fighting the Lazax, and they never had a chance.

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing. It's a pity. :sigh:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Nitis posted:

Is anybody going to GenCon this weekend?

TI4 is supposed to be on sale there, and I'm looking to acquire a copy, since I'm flying to Denver at the end of the month to play TI with my old group.
Don't forget a pair of snippers for taking the ships off the sprues if you plan to play it there. :v:

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

ImpactVector posted:

Don't forget a pair of snippers for taking the ships off the sprues if you plan to play it there. :v:

Well, I have to acquire, then snip. Apparently, folks frown on doing it the other way around.

I had considered driving from Philly to Indy, till I found out that Gen Con was sold out. :(

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I used to own Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, but I gave it (and a lot of my boardgames) to a dear friend in California, who then had all of those stolen out of the trunk of his car a year or two later. In sorrow, I thought I would never end up seeing another game of Twilight Imperium again, but with a rules refresh and all the expansion content from 3rd going into the core 4th boxset, I'm absolutely going to put this monolith back into my collection for good!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

nimby posted:

I'm tempted to buy it just for the rules reference alone. TI was desperately in need of better organized rules.

I actually find the new rules format kind of confusing. Especially since a lot of the time the "Learn to Play" books miss stuff out. Forbidden Stars was the biggest offender here.
For me it's much easier to go "okay we're confused about something to do with movement so let's go to the movement part of the rulebook" instead of having two and it not definitely being in it or being indexed under what you might not expect it to be.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Taear posted:

I actually find the new rules format kind of confusing. Especially since a lot of the time the "Learn to Play" books miss stuff out. Forbidden Stars was the biggest offender here.
For me it's much easier to go "okay we're confused about something to do with movement so let's go to the movement part of the rulebook" instead of having two and it not definitely being in it or being indexed under what you might not expect it to be.

Forbidden Stars missed a single rule about the limit on the tokens you could have. Learn to play + rules reference is amazing

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mojo Jojo posted:

Forbidden Stars missed a single rule about the limit on the tokens you could have. Learn to play + rules reference is amazing

There's a few more than that!
I dunno I just find it hard as hell to navigate and find what I want.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Taear posted:

There's a few more than that!
I dunno I just find it hard as hell to navigate and find what I want.

I remember having a hell of a time trying to find the definitions of what makes a system "controlled", "friendly", etc

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Waffles Inc. posted:

I remember having a hell of a time trying to find the definitions of what makes a system "controlled", "friendly", etc

I don't know that I've ever heard of a "friendly" system. But, in 3rd edition, control is defined by having ships in orbit and troops on the ground (as necessary).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Nitis posted:

I don't know that I've ever heard of a "friendly" system. But, in 3rd edition, control is defined by having ships in orbit and troops on the ground (as necessary).

I assume Waffles Inc means in Forbidden Stars. I know I was making a mistake in every single game I played because of that paticular thing as well.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Some of the racial changes are interesting. Particularly the Winnu have gone from being a random grab bag of powers to a super focused "race for metacol rex, dig in and bang out the points"

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Mojo Jojo posted:

Some of the racial changes are interesting. Particularly the Winnu have gone from being a random grab bag of powers to a super focused "race for metacol rex, dig in and bang out the points"

Although, every race now benefits from "race for Mecatol Rex, dig in, and bang out points" now.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Managed a five player game yesterday. I was a bit concerned as it was three newbies and one didn't seem to even be aware of the game beforehand. With rules explanation we managed something just over six hours which didn't seem bad.

I came so close to winning by claiming my secret objective to hold planets adjacent to two player homeworks but had to rely on a gf against gf roll off which I lost. Another player further down the claim sequence got here and a public to end the game with a dramatic four point swing.

Fun times but even from a tiny bit of TI4 exposure I crave the cleanliness of its technology and construction card

Nitis posted:

Although, every race now benefits from "race for Mecatol Rex, dig in, and bang out points" now.

Right. I mean they also did in TI3 with Imperial II. I'm not sure I understand your point.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Just completed a 4 hour game of TI3, 4 players. Including setup. I am loving AMAZED at that.

I also lost the game. I'm embarrassed to say I left my Home System completely undefended (minus the starting Space Dock) as the Federation of Sol, only for one of the other players (with the "destroy 2 players' Space Docks in one turn") Secret Objective to just swoop in and nail it. If it hadn't been for that, I'd possibly have won... my own SO was to conquer and hold Mecatol Rex with 6 Ground Forces, until someone played the Political Card that swaps 2 players' SOs. I swapped with another player, and my new SO was the one where you just have to control all planets on system adjacent to two players' Home Systems. The guy had been complaining all game so far that it was completely impossible to do, and then I got Warfare and Silent Running and completed it on the very turn we swapped :getin:

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

People may be interested in this podcast: https://spacecatspeaceturtles.podbean.com/

Right now it reviews changes from TI3, and spends quite a bit of time of going through the races. It's odd as the two chaps presenting have clearly played a huge amount but their grasp of TI3 mechanics seems a little wonky and this follows through to some big oversights when they are declaring that some races are bad. It's not helped by the fact that they haven't played a game (yet).

For instance there's lots of talk about command counter income being reduced, but this is only true if you're using one specific strategy card from an expansion (that had a 2:1 influence:token ratio). Given that by the end of the three expansions there were nineteen such cards and you just picked eight, which they don't even refer to, is madness.

That said, despite disagreeing quite heavily with them, I find the discussion quite interesting.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
All races except the Necrovirus are bad.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

DJ Dizzy posted:

All races except the Ghosts of Creuss and Arborec are bad.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

humans are fun :colbert:

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

The new ghosts of Creuss have a funny promissory note that I've yet to figure out the purpose of. It lets the holder place another wormhole which if the ghosts weren't playing would be great. But if they are there it gives them a much larger boost.

It seems like the idea is to pay somebody to take and then place the wormhole somewhere useful for you, but given the size of the board it feels like you'd have to pay a huge amount to get somebody to agree to that

It's equally possible I've misunderstood something obvious

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mojo Jojo posted:

The new ghosts of Creuss have a funny promissory note that I've yet to figure out the purpose of. It lets the holder place another wormhole which if the ghosts weren't playing would be great. But if they are there it gives them a much larger boost.

It seems like the idea is to pay somebody to take and then place the wormhole somewhere useful for you, but given the size of the board it feels like you'd have to pay a huge amount to get somebody to agree to that

It's equally possible I've misunderstood something obvious

I don't have the card in front of me, but if it moves/places one of the Creuss tokens, then it's directly manipulating one of their racial techs. Especially if one of those tokens is how you're getting access to the rest of the board then that note is handing someone a sword of Damocles over you.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Ah I'd missed that one of their racial techs let's them place those tokens. Still it costs them nothing to undo the movement, it just delays them for the rest of the current action phase.

It still just seems like an odd one out

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mojo Jojo posted:

Ah I'd missed that one of their racial techs let's them place those tokens. Still it costs them nothing to undo the movement, it just delays them for the rest of the current action phase.

It still just seems like an odd one out

Think of it as letting someone borrow your racial tech for a turn. Think of it this way: would you find the tech useful to research? Sure. Could you find a use for that tech even if you only got one round of it? I'd be shocked if you couldn't.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
My box arrived last week, and i'm organizing my first (TI4) game...
The quality of all the pieces is really a step up from last edition. Nice Job!
I am however preparing a new storage solution, the insert doesn't leave me enough room to my liking.

About the Creuss' PN : You can negotiate a (binding) agreement for anyone to place down a fresh wormhole in a place you like.
Mecatol Rex for example would be an interesting location that you wouldn't need to persuade hard for.
If you make the deal during the other's person turn this can be a binding deal, which makes it pretty safe for the Creuss player to give away.
If you manage to make such a deal twice, this saves you from buying the wormhole generator tech completely.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Just played TI4 for the first time (and won, too!). Gonna post my trip report on that tomorrow, probably, and also probably close this thread and write up an OP for TI4. So far, I'm pretty much liking all the changes in the new edition.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Just played TI4 for the first time (and won, too!). Gonna post my trip report on that tomorrow, probably, and also probably close this thread and write up an OP for TI4. So far, I'm pretty much liking all the changes in the new edition.

If you could include some discussion on whether it’s a significant improvement over TI3 plus Shattered Empire I’d be super grateful; been going back and forth on whether to buy it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Annual Prophet posted:

If you could include some discussion on whether it’s a significant improvement over TI3 plus Shattered Empire I’d be super grateful; been going back and forth on whether to buy it.

Agreed. Also if you could, can you give examples of where/how it's better? I love TI3, but getting TI4 is quite an investment.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Annual Prophet posted:

The key issue is which modules you ended up using in 3e. If there was something you loved (say distant suns) that isn't there then you may not like it so much

Base game to base game four is an across the board improvement. The promissory notes, trade system and (to a lesser extent) agenda phase add a degree of politics that just wasn't present in 3e.

The tech tree is nice and clean and all but a couple are broadly good to acquire and give a real feeling of gai information new options and strengths

The action and political card are better than ecen a highly winnowed 3e decks. There are maybe one or two weird situational action cards and everything else is gold.

It has some issues though. The Winnu are now a one trick pony and (as happened in my single game) if they don't take Metacol Rex then they have no racial powers at all and sort of collapse. The open voting system means that the potential of the agenda phase doesn't work as once it becomes clear which way the wind is turning people just don't spend votes so all the intended decision making about whether to save votes for agenda 2 is basically lost

The public objective deck could use a few more things to try and break the cold war (although the secret objectives are much better)

All in all I think most fans of 3e will love it and it's hard to ever think about playing the old edition again for me. But it's a hundred and twenty five chuffing quid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
New thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842579

• Locked thread