Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Reborn is going to be funny when 2gd's dota audience tries to play it for a week and goes back to dota and the QL people play for a month and go back to QL or just quit gaming altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Reborn is going to be funny when 2gd's dota audience tries to play it for a week and goes back to dota and the QL people play for a month and go back to QL or just quit gaming altogether.

FUnny, with a hint of depressing

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
the first sign of a game even comparable to ql and that game is instantly dead. i cant wait to stop paying 20€/year to play a subpar version of quake 3

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I pay the money for it (as well as a subscription to ZLive) almost purely because I didn't want it to die as soon as I discovered it, which it's the FPS I always dreamed of and before I knew quake I was a lost lamb. Obviously it's me being hopeful and naive but you know. :sigh:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I like made the choice because in 2012 or w/e when I realized how good it was and why I should be playing it instead of other games I also watched 3 separate QCon keynotes on Youtube where Carmack said it's basically an open wound for bethesda's money.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Plus I like being able to use the Kill Beep noise and the fancy scoreboard and don't care much about spending money to use it, as well as the funny zoot faces on twitch. Not like I'm regularly subscribed to anything else.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Wormskull posted:

I pay the money for it (as well as a subscription to ZLive)

you are at the point where it would be cheaper to just move to europe and start playing cpma or quakeworld

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bloodmobile posted:

you are at the point where it would be cheaper to just move to europe and start playing cpma or quakeworld

I'll move to Kiev someday and play against my former soviet homeys.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

QL did add some neat UI features and you can customize the poo poo out of your config. Plus they added tons of server variables so you can have bizarro quake matches where shotguns punt people across the map.

Although some people may be mad at the rebalancing of the rocket launcher and railgun both were lowered as to not one shot unarmored people. I don't remember if "pro" mode changed that or if it was just tiered armored, no footstep noises, and different air control.

None of these indie projects to make arena shooters will work because all they are doing is copying Q3 and todays audience doesn't give a poo poo about that style of gameplay. If there aren't stats, unlockables, grindable poo poo, and homogenized weapon damage across every gun in the name of being fair, modern gamers (i.e. children) won't play it.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 31, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

metricchip posted:

I die a little inside knowing that we'll never see a proper SWAT 5. Heard the co-op is fantastic too but I never had the chance to play it before the online died.

get friends + lan that poo poo

i tried to go nonlethal and nice for a while but one of my friends was having more effective captures just deagling people in the foot

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

QL did add some neat UI features and you can customize the poo poo out of your config. Plus they added tons of server variables so you can have bizarro quake matches where shotguns punt people across the map.

Although some people may be mad at the rebalancing of the rocket launcher and railgun both were lowered as to not one shot unarmored people. I don't remember if "pro" mode changed that or if it was just tiered armored, no footstep noises, and different air control.

None of these indie projects to make arena shooters will work because all they are doing is copying Q3 and todays audience doesn't give a poo poo about that style of gameplay. If there aren't stats, unlockables, grindable poo poo, and homogenized weapon damage across every gun in the name of being fair, modern gamers (i.e. children) won't play it.

Yea, I think PQL is just the tiered armor and instant weapon switch and stuff but the damage on weapons is the same.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

get friends + lan that poo poo

i tried to go nonlethal and nice for a while but one of my friends was having more effective captures just deagling people in the foot

Using the pepper gun is some win.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SPACE HOMOS posted:

indie "old school" multiplayer fps suck bc all they do is copy quake 3. if i wanted to play q3 id play it instead of buying some stupid indie game with a doa community the day it launches

also the art in indie mp fps games is the same pseudo-tron bullshit. its like they thought making a game that looked like q1 and q3 at "pro" settings was a fantastic idea. the graphics were a huge draw for games like q3 and ut99 back then and they made interesting characters and environments instead of "muscly glowing spaceman #5643" and "blocky levels with glowing lines". ut99 looks better than indie mp fps games released in the 2010s do and that's loving pathetic

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nexuiz was extremely pretty and had some interesting weapons, it also had what was pretty much a mario kart mode where you'd collect an item and get a random buff/debuff, with some being mild (moonjump/rocket boots, reduced damage) and others turning off gravity for all players and poo poo.

Now this sounds bananas but if there are more than 10 people playing the game online right now I will eat my own head.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

The other day, RPS had an article about "Shootmania." What is this.

It's a game where everyone has a rocket launcher unless they're in special zones where it changes into other weapons. You can go fast, there's a tile-based map editor, but it's not very fun to play. Also, they made changing game modes incredibly tedious and put paywalls on some of them.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Nexuiz was extremely pretty and had some interesting weapons, it also had what was pretty much a mario kart mode where you'd collect an item and get a random buff/debuff, with some being mild (moonjump/rocket boots, reduced damage) and others turning off gravity for all players and poo poo.

Now this sounds bananas but if there are more than 10 people playing the game online right now I will eat my own head.

The day it came out it had about 15 people playing it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

The day it came out it had about 15 people playing it.

that's the shooting game industry. doesn't have 100 million dollars behind it in advertising?? DOA

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well it also isn't a good game but, strangely, it's got the concepts of the kind of stupid game that lots of people play for some insane reason.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

closeted republican posted:

also the art in indie mp fps games is the same pseudo-tron bullshit. its like they thought making a game that looked like q1 and q3 at "pro" settings was a fantastic idea. the graphics were a huge draw for games like q3 and ut99 back then and they made interesting characters and environments instead of "muscly glowing spaceman #5643" and "blocky levels with glowing lines". ut99 looks better than indie mp fps games released in the 2010s do and that's loving pathetic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B42bSdA1yI

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

the only way for this to be more indie was if there was a narration musing about the nature of existence

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

indie "old school" multiplayer fps suck bc all they do is copy quake 3. if i wanted to play q3 id play it instead of buying some stupid indie game with a doa community the day it launches

wait, which games are you even talking about? the only arena fps i can remember coming out in 2010s is the nexuiz 're-make' and that game had the exact opposite problem where it was so filled with 'eye-candy' it was impossible to tell what the gently caress was going on

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I remember enjoying the old version of nexuiz because it was free + ran on computers in high school

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Kazvall posted:

The realistic FPS movement needs to die. I want to shoot guns I cannot buy in real life. I want devs to be creative rather than try to please the faggots.

this but for every gaming genre. all racing games are realistic now and it sucks. the best sports games are stuff like windjammers, mario strikers and speedball but nobody makes non-realistic sports games now. gently caress the world

Bobnumerotres posted:

god drat i didnt know people really played quake live

i just played it for an hour straight and god drat is it fun. why cant people make games like this anymore

call of duty got everyone hooked on rpg elements in shooters so now everything needs to have xp and unlocks because most people are incapable of enjoying a video game without being constantly rewarded for it. i've seen a lot of people complain about games no longer being fun once they hit max rank its loving stupid

q3's art style owned. i also really love id's skyboxes which are always red or purple and moving really fast, it looked awesome in q1 and q3. plus the whole techno hell thing is cool as heck

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

the new unreal tournament game looks like it might have an interesting art style because they showed a video of a level and they went for a retro sci-fi kinda look like the first alien movie. seems like a good way to have visually interesting environmental design while still being clean enough to work for an arena fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Nlz7XonCs&t=92s

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
i thought q3's clouds were way too fast. q1's skyboxes are just right

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Organs posted:

the new unreal tournament game looks like it might have an interesting art style because they showed a video of a level and they went for a retro sci-fi kinda look like the first alien movie. seems like a good way to have visually interesting environmental design while still being clean enough to work for an arena fps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Nlz7XonCs&t=92s

:eyepop:

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

they also showed a castle map earlier and the layout looks really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZqEB3KV_Ew&t=123s

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Organs posted:

they also showed a castle map earlier and the layout looks really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZqEB3KV_Ew&t=123s

:hellyeah: ut99's castle and crypt maps rule

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

so it looks like some people are basically remaking ut2k4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoYcjeHVbnI

A Nice Big Dinner fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 2, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

obese retard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B28oQvaL7Mg&t=79s

Why would you make it skip to the end of the video? This seems awesome but will prob be poo poo like every other game

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Why would you make it skip to the end of the video?

huh

i actually have no idea why it did that all i did was link it from youtube :I

edit: anyway yeah it's fixed now

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

obese retard posted:

Why.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Wait for Splatoon to come out, op.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

obese retard posted:

oh boy an indie multiplayer game

by indie multiplayer game

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Great Joe posted:

oh boy an indie multiplayer game

by indie multiplayer game

lol

i saw some indie quake-styled speedrun game that looks like katamari, i think its called lovely planet. cool idea and cute style but it looks like they forgot to spend any time making content because enemies are literally boxes that don't move and theres only about 5 or 6 art assets wtf

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Organs posted:

lol

i saw some indie quake-styled speedrun game that looks like katamari, i think its called lovely planet. cool idea and cute style but it looks like they forgot to spend any time making content because enemies are literally boxes that don't move and theres only about 5 or 6 art assets wtf

how else are they gonna pocket most of the kickstarter money when it doesn't sell

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Fenrir posted:

this

10000000000x this, jesus christ.

I want repeating nailguns, plasma rifles and other bullshit from the doom/quake/unreal era.

not to mention that way we might get a shooter that isn't completely brown and gray

See: warframe

You will regret getting addicted to that lovely game though

Soral
May 30, 2009

i can confirm that warframe is both addictive and complete garbage

but at least the guns are neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Soral posted: