Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Hey everyone. I am trying to plan a trip for my girlfriend and I this December. Would be great to plan the trip so that it includes New Years Eve. If a vacation earlier in December would be significantly cheaper I may be up for that.

A few qualifiers:
Budget - 800-1200 (try for under 1000)
All Inclusive
Somewhere Tropical for Both Cruise and Resort
Don't Want to Get Ripped by BS offers not worth it/bad deals/overcharging/etc.
Good for couples/partying (we are 23/22)
Good Options to visit from the resort/when cruise lands
5-6 nights
Flight within the country is a separate budget so does not need to be taken inconsideration. Florida seems the best place to leave from for a cruise at least.

I am sure I am forgetting lots of information, but this is the first real trip I have ever planned. I have been on a couple cruises in my life, a Disney and Caribbean when I was like 8 and 16. I have also been to an all inclusive resort in Mexico near Playa del Carmen, I was 18 then but still a virgin to drinking so did not really go all out. My girlfriend has never been on a cruise or to a resort.

What I liked about the cruises: Fun to walk around the whole ship, love looking at the ocean and open sky, the tons of different, wacky people that you can possibly meet, the dining experiences were fun, huge variety of activity (from ice skating to movies to concerts)

What I liked about the resort: The beach, going to the town/area nearby for amazing authentic Mexican food for basically pennies, scuba diving, alcohol, swim up bars, AMAZING FOOD (the resort I went to had like 5-7 restaurants each with a different cuisine. The brazilian meat place and buffet oddly enough I remember the most).

goodness fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Where are you leaving from?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

FrozenVent posted:

Where are you leaving from?

Can be anywhere in the US, Florida seems to have the most options.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Your budget is a little tight to do anything other than a simple cruise. You might start plugging dates into Carnival.com with various ports of departure. I've never thought cruises were a good deal or entertaining, but you're way too underbudget to do a proper resort only trip in Mexico or the Caribbean that is all inclusive.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

TheBuilder posted:

Your budget is a little tight to do anything other than a simple cruise. You might start plugging dates into Carnival.com with various ports of departure. I've never thought cruises were a good deal or entertaining, but you're way too underbudget to do a proper resort only trip in Mexico or the Caribbean that is all inclusive.

So what is a good budget for an all inclusive resort? I was basing mine on what it was a couple years ago, we went down with 4 people and it was about 800 per person for 5 nights. Plus any in town expenses, but everything was super cheap down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcrchc
Jun 3, 2003

Honestly you probably need to double if not triple your budget or drop the idea of an all-inclusive resort and find a condo to stay in off vrbo. The Christmas/New Years time frame is one of, if not the most expensive time to go and is often booked many months in advance. You're probably looking at $400 per night at the minimum for AI during this time frame. The cheaper time frame would be generally between April 15th - November 15th.

One thing to remember for cruises is that most do not include alcohol, or excursions/anything else at port in the price you pay to book so you have to factor that in to your budget as well.

• Locked thread