Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I have a rare genetic problem that affects my joints. I knew to expect it, but my left knee has now failed and I have to wear a functional knee brace to be able to walk distances or carry weight.

I have a deplorable excess of free time right now, and I am trying to organize two adventures before I have any more problems. When I was a kid I read a book about hiking the Appalachian trail, and it was a lifetime goal. I had to give up on that goal, but I would like to hike a small part of it. I think I can still do a four day hike with a fairly light pack - two days out, and two days back.

I'd like to know if anyone knows a section of the trail that is a good candidate. I can handle incline fine with the brace, but I am worried about other injuries if I can't find anyone to do it with me. I'm looking for a section of the trail that is ideally well traveled in case I hurt myself and need assistance, that has access to water so that I don't have to carry much of it, and is fairly scenic. I'd also like to know the best time of the year to hike that section.

As far as someone to go with me, my brother and dad are also eagle scouts who like the outdoors, so I am trying to talk them into going along.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Do the Presidential Range through the White Mountians. Something like up pinkham notch and down the north side of Mount Madison is a good few day backpack.

Edit: See if you can reserve nights at the huts up top and it'll take some weight off your legs.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 22, 2014

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you're going with others, have someone park their car at one end and just go 4 days straight instead of turning around.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Bip Roberts posted:

Do the Presidential Range through the White Mountians. Something like up pinkham notch and down the north side of Mount Madison is a good few day backpack.

Edit: See if you can reserve nights at the huts up top and it'll take some weight off your legs.

The Presidential Range looks great! I'm guessing since its in New Hampshire and a lot of it is at altitude, the mid late summer would be the best time to do this?

Alterian posted:

If you're going with others, have someone park their car at one end and just go 4 days straight instead of turning around.

Not sure I can get anyone to go with me other than my brother for sure - He said yes - but he doesn't drive.

Expotential
Apr 18, 2006
Eat Me!
In Virginia: Shenandoah National park - the trail goes through the range here; very nice beautiful mountains (May to September [preferably June-August]

Maine: 100 mile wilderness is very impressive; possibly the wildest part of the entire trail. (RIGHT NOW! - September)

Maine: Mount Katahdin (the very end) is amazing - the view is wonderful: Don't miss it (Now - September)

Mount Katadin however is some climbing including a ladder type climb near the top - there is a sign in book at the ranger station - if you are going to summit Sign in and out!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Avoid Pennsylvania/NJ/NY and the Blue Mountains - very rocky terrain that is not conducive to anyone with a knee injury. That's the only part I've section hiked, but I hear Virginia and Maine are especially scenic and easier to hike.

I'll echo Alterian though - it makes sense to plan your route for 4 days and give yourself a goal at the end. If you can't park a car at your destination, just plan to hike to a town and take a taxi/bus back. Many of the small towns along the trail have pamphlets and brochures for hikers for these kinds of services. It's practically an entire industry to support all of these hikers.

Try and time your section hike to coincide with some of the through-hikers (people doing the whole thing in one shot), they are generally interesting people with some great stories of hiking the AT for months at a time. Do your research and don't attempt it with the huge pack of hikers, time it so that you're ahead or behind. Otherwise you might have to deal with full campsites. If you can space out your hikes well enough you can stay in the wooden trail shelters for at least a night or two - beats camping in a tent.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Depends on what you are looking for. I recommend Rio -- the beaches, the women, the nightlife, it is just fantastic. But you could probably hit up some rainforest stuff if that is more your speed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Expotential posted:

In Virginia: Shenandoah National park - the trail goes through the range here; very nice beautiful mountains (May to September [preferably June-August]

Maine: 100 mile wilderness is very impressive; possibly the wildest part of the entire trail. (RIGHT NOW! - September)

Maine: Mount Katahdin (the very end) is amazing - the view is wonderful: Don't miss it (Now - September)

Mount Katadin however is some climbing including a ladder type climb near the top - there is a sign in book at the ranger station - if you are going to summit Sign in and out!

Don't do 100 mile if you're concerned about injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Especially with a knee injury, plan about 5 miles a day.

• Locked thread