Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Thought I can see you're leading up to it, I have a hard time justifying having Cog fall off the wall, especially since it would have little consequence on her, i.e. you're in a safe place, you can fly, you can just as easily be healed.

From her height on the wall, Cog can get a good view of the battlefield below. As she zoomed in to view the battle, her gaze passed over something else in the field. A billow of fabric, some traces of smoke from a fire. It looked as though there might be someone, or something, bivouacking in the furthest row of trenches. Then she saw a gleam of light, reflecting off something hidden behind the barricades out there.

Taking the time to scan the position, Cog discerns several shapes which she concludes could be men hiding in the trench. The gleam she'd seen was a spyglass one of them had been using to watch the fight below the gates. Though apparently camouflaged, Cog saw at least 3 people; one spying on the battle, and relaying messages to another beside him, the third seemed to be waiting. From this distance it was difficult to say who they were or what they were doing.

Meanwhile, the group departing the convent turned to do battle with the pursuing troops. While Rory turned and drew his sword, Sia blasted passed him with alarming speed, had she always moved that fast? Behind the brute, Sally stopped to see what Rory's move was going to be, but it seemed like Sia had things well in hand.

With the speed of a silver bullet, Sia struck out at several of the imperial guardsmen, their armor buckling like foil and their skin rippling as the bones underneath fractured and splintered under her instantaneous onslaught. All around the blur of death named Sia, the soldiers crumpled like a house of cards, spitting blood from their crushed organs as they went down. The guards she'd not reached yet stopped in their tracks, frozen in fear from the assault she'd just delivered upon their comrades. A few even dropped their spears and ran back through the gates, seeking sanctuary of the convent.

Looking down at her hands, Sia could see the sheen of blood coating her arms, but something seemed wrong about it. Inspecting her arms, they were smeared with silvery-crimson blood, it almost looked like the liquid bloody-silver, if that was not already the best way to describe it. It was running in rivulets down her arms from where her body had torn itself open from the stress of such speed and power. She felt no pain, despite the micro-tears all throughout her limbs, but there was a foreboding sense that heedless use of this power could end up being destructive to herself as well.

This is purely a narrative effect for now, so you take no damage or debility, but expect me use it as ammo against you later. We never established a move revolving around your new Bloody-silver powers, They mainly seemed like a narrative element to beat Dust, but if you would like, you can write a move about how they expand your own powers or I can work on a compendium class about it if you'd like.

PS, where is everyone else? I'm really concerned I killed the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Teonis posted:

This is purely a narrative effect for now, so you take no damage or debility, but expect me use it as ammo against you later. We never established a move revolving around your new Bloody-silver powers, They mainly seemed like a narrative element to beat Dust, but if you would like, you can write a move about how they expand your own powers or I can work on a compendium class about it if you'd like.

PS, where is everyone else? I'm really concerned I killed the game.

Totally awesome.
The way Arashi described it was super divine/anti undead. I ad-libbed the speed boost because Sia isn't completely human anymore herself.

I have some ideas for how to handle this, especially as I find and absorb more powers. Will post in ooc thread later.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Sorry!

Desiderio of the Antipodes
HP: 22/22 | Armor: 2 | XP: 0/10 | Handsome

"Ha-ha!" cried Desiderio, sabre in one hand and dagger in the other, before Sia blurred past him and crashed into the ranks of the Imperials like a wave of violence. Nonplussed, he watched as she shattered their ranks easily.

"Still keeping in shape, I see," he remarked. The guards appeared as if they would no longer be an issue, and he instead cast his gaze about, planning the next stage of his daring escape.

Discern Realities: 2d6-1 3 Never roll +WIS when your character is an idiot :(

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Neram Katikeram
HP: 17/17 | Armor: 1/1 | Load 2/7 | XP: 0/10 | Tick Tock

With uncanny silence the old man was suddenly by Sammi's side. "What a strange lot, they are. Though I admire their battle prowess." said Neram, his voice full of the weight of ages as he scrutinised the battle ahead - via much more mundane methods. "Perhaps you see yourself doing something similar one day, given your... capabilities. Though the notion of speed is divided into two aspects, distance and time." he murmured, still watching the battle keenly.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cog
HP: 22/23 | XP 0/11 | Imagination: 3
Tags: Near, Close, Forceful

Cog looked around as Neram started talking. She got a great zoom in his face which was enough to startle her into toppling off of the wall, landing with a thump back down on the walkway.

"Jeez! Warn me next time! I could have taken your head off!" She moaned, rubbing her backside tenderly. She'd forgotten to remember he could do that. Although it probably wouldn't be the last time. The threat was an idle one, but she was feeling a little on edge.

"Sorry... Um, yeah, they're pretty scary. Although I don't recall Sia ever doing anything like that! Though that said she never needed too... for my part, I'm more than capable of defending myself. Although it's not exactly subtle. But I guess that just means I fit in with everyone else!" Cog giggled, trying to keep her attention on the fight, but she kept looking back to the three she'd seen in the trench. Her curiosity getting the better of her.

"Hey... Ne- I mean, Master? There are three, maybe more, observers in that trench over there. Can't tell if they're up to anything at this point... but they seem awfully interested in what's going on. Do you think we should go and investigate? We could bring some of the Sisters as well, you know, so they know we're coming back."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Neram Katikeram

"Hmm. Perhaps that might be prudent. Unknown agents might prove an issue for many, the sisterhood here included." said Neram, as he considered the plausible nature of these unknown observers. Imperial spies? Boltite inquisitors? Perhaps other, less conventionall elements, but assuming they appeared as people that does restrict their presumed nature somewhat (not that that could not mean that they might be shapeshifters of some description, however if that was the case it is more likely that they would employ their talents in order to observe without being spotted whatsoever, unless this is part of some greater plan - akin to the ones that strange 'fateless' man might try to foist on others. But to assume some greater plan is always in action would be madness, plain and simple.

Coming out of thought, the old man spoke once again "I am sure the Mother Superior will voice similar concerns as to who or what these observers that you have witnessed are, so I believe that that is a decent course of action - additionally if it turns out that they are hostile it might be worth having stout warriors at our backs."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cog

Cog nodds.

"Yeah, last thing we need after getting this far is to get murdered for being curious!" She laughed, but the sound died in her throat. Instead, she coughed politely, and walked over to the Boltian mistress.

"Um, hey... so, there might be a bunch of people chilling out over in those trenches, and they've got a spyglass and are being kinda suspicious so I think it would be a good idea to wander on over and ask them what they're doing because it could be that they're up to no good and if not maybe they need help or something!" Cog said in a single seemingly endending stream. Smiling sweetly, like a granddaughter begging for sweets.

"So, could we, that is to say, me and master Neram, borrow a few sisters and go and say hello? See if they need any help?"

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
The mother Superior listens to Cog's concerns about the spies in the trenches, nodding in acknowledgement. "Likely imperials, but they don't have anything to do with the Senator and his wedding. We've seen their ships sailing close to the cliffs for since yesterday but I did not think they made landfall." She turned her gaze away from the field below to look at Cog. "How were you able to discern their presence? What else do you see?"
_

Down in the fields Sia dispatches the soldiers, tails between their legs, but to both hers and Rory's disappointment. "drat, I thought they'd have more fight in them..." the giant sighs. Shouldering his blade, Rory turns and starts walking to the bridge again, Sally in tow.

As Desiderio looks around about, he catches a glint of light in the corner of his eye, not from the ground, but from the air. Looking skyward, the roguish man is staring down a ball of green flame, which arcs down from the sky directly towards him, the others are suddenly made aware of a high pitch whistling noise, almost cartoonish, like something was plummeting from the sky.
_

From atop the wall, everyone catches a glint of a green fireball, roughly the size of a man, dropping directly down onto your companions in the field, centered on the unfortunate Desiderio. In a puzzling moment of realization, Neram is able to calculate that the trajectory of the projectile seems to have originated from where the Cog indicated there were people in the trench.

Cog herself is momentarily taken down memory lane as Sammi recalls seeing similar green flames before when Rags, as Lord Akumu, was hunting down mages in lines with the "Ministry of Magic Affairs" or something (Someone please remind me what the hell his organizations was called...) But you are certain that Rags stopped that 'green-flame wizard.' What had happened back then?

Sorry for the brief post, I don't want to leave you hanging. I'm also trying to come up with something better than "imperial mages ready to shoot you when you fail a roll"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Sia
HP: 24/24 | Armor 2 | XP 7/11 |

"Ow, gently caress!"
My arms and legs sting from what feels like hundreds of tiny cuts, and my breath is heaving like a bellows. I turn just in time to watch several imperials collapse and the rest flee. My smile is huge, as I start to shout out to the group, almost like the old Sia is back! My celebration is cutoff by the incoming green fireball. Time slows to nearly a standstill once more as I launch myself into motion.

I spend a moment considering whether to save Desi or not, the look on his face is loving priceless. I grab hold of the annoying little poo poo, spinning him out of the way of the fireball, and standing ready to take this magic poo poo on.
Defend: 2d6+2 7
Redirect an attack from the thing you defend to yourself

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Sia leaps boldly into the path of the flaming missile and braces for the hit, but as the flames touch her hardened body, they seem to pass right through to her soul. As the fireball explodes 'inside' her, the burning flames rake her body with pain inside and out. The explosion from the large fireball flares out, threatening to burn those nearby as well just as Sally shrieks out a note. The vibrations from Sally's sonic show of strength effectively dispels the explosion before it can swallow anyone else. The sonic barrier even pushes the flames out of Sia's chest as she is encompassed in the wall of sound. Honestly, it was not much pleasing either, as the sensation of the sound passing through her reminded her too much of Sally's manipulation.

"It must be those damned imperial pyromancers!" Rory shouted, as he began running across the field to the bridge. Rory's charge was not so much towards the enemy, but rather a blind charge towards the mainland, as thats where their attackers must be.

Sally stammered a moment then began after him, "Wait, Rory! We don;t know who is out there!" Not that this was something Rory ever worried about.

As if to answer the call, a man garbed in gold and green robes throws his camouflage aside and stands out of the last row of trenches. "Death to Lord Akumu!" he scream into the wind as he throws his arms into the air above him. He cries out in something indistinguishable as two gouts of green flame launch from his fists into the air right before he jumps out of the trench and runs towards Rory.

Two more men stand from the trench as well, dressed similarly, their hands wreathed in identical green fire. As they stand from the trenches, they begin hurling fire, in bolts much smaller than the large flame Sia just intercepted, towards the charging giant.

Sia takes d8 damage ignoring armor. You worry you may be on fire momentarily, but Sally's barrier snuffs the flames.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Desiderio shook his head briskly to clear it as he jumped back to his feet. He looked over at Sia, who was on fire, but other than seemed to be fine. He looked at Saissa, who, while somewhat discombobulated, seemed fine as well.

"Stay here," he suggested to Saissa, before drawing his weapons and charging after Rory at the mages. He kept at the giant's back- after all, what fun it would be to spring a surprise on these villains!

In the back of his mind, he wondered who Lord Akumu was. Had the wizards mistaken him for some lord? Given his noble bearing and natural poise, it was only natural that they may have.

Popping around Rory as more bolts of green flame burst around them, Desidrio leapt to the attack, meeting craven sorcery with good, heroic steel.

Hack and Slash: 2d6+2 10
Damage: 1d8+1d4 7

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cog

Cog gaped as the fire struck Sia. She screamed the brawler's name as she disapeared within the flame. The mage leapt up and out, slinging more fire!

Akumu

They were here for Akumu.

These bastards had been hunting them down. Was it that cult with the stupid name? She didn't care. How dare they! How DARE THEY!!

'S-Sai!! Cog, we n-need to help t-them!' Sammi's thoughts came.

Cog reached up to her back over her shoulder. The circle at her back flashed and started constructing a Hammer in scant seconds. It was an odd looking thing. Most unlike other weapons. She hefted it as though it was a toy, pointing it at the leaping fire mage. It's head folded out and arks of energy spat from its head, blasting out of the array.

- - -
Attack the Lead pyromancer - Blast foes with high tech weapons and gadgets: 2d6+2 5
-Put self at risk
-loose a point of imagination
- +1XP

-The environment warps and changes dramatically and uncontrollably.

- - -

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Sia
HP: 17/24 | Armor 2 | XP 7/11 |

damage: 7

The impact of the fireball knocks me off my feet. My hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes disappear into stinking ash. My chest is a mass of agony, and my breath had been knocked out of me. Not even close to the worst I've been hurt. I roll to my feet once more, and launch myself toward the incoming mage fucks.

Hack & Slash 9
damage 7 2 Piercing, Messy, Forceful
haha I'm giving as good as I got.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Sorry, I really dropped the ball on running this game. I'm going to redouble my efforts, though. Once we get away from this convent and into more stuff it won't be such a problem. I'm sure I've just been overthinking stuff and keeping myself too distracted.

As Rory and Desiderio close the gap towards the first sorcerer, he angles the green flamethrowers spewing from his hands towards the charging pair. Despite the onslaught, Rory does not stop, running full on into the wall of unearthly flames. He grits his teeth and pushes on, despite being slowed by the presence of the flames. Desiderio, not keen on being on fire instead leaps over the flames, He is certain he could get a hit on the sorcerer if only he could get around the emerald fire the mage is spewing towards him.

Nearby, Sally runs to the aid of her beau, with a sweep and banshee-like shriek she created another barrier of sound like before, pushing back the flames around Rory so he was not fully consumed. Though it helped, the brute still muscled on into danger while Sally kept working to keep him from being incinerated.

Rory is straight up getting burned while forcing his way through the fire. Desi, you will need to Defy Danger or get hit just to get close enough to strike the sorcerer. From there, you're H&S will count as normal.

While the men go after the lead sorcerer, Sia instead charges after the two who were hurling fireballs from the trenches. With her alarming speed she is able to close the gap across the battlefield in no time. Seeing the silver blur coming towards them, the two other mages turn their barrage of flame towards the woman intent on murdering them. In unison they begin launching several fireballs, which Sia slides through with her speed. However, as fast as she is, the cooperative barrage the mages had created proved to be too much, by the time she reached the trench and delivered her first blow, Sia had already been peppered with green, ghostly flames.

Just like before, the flames cut through her body, burning her both inside and out. The ghost-like fire threatens to light her whole being on fire.

Dropping down into the trench with the offending mages, it only take the jab of her fingers, the strike of her palm, or even a tap from her heel, to cave in the chest of the nearest mage. The second mage looks on in awe as his partner is hurled into the side of the trench, smashing into the ground and spitting blood the whole way.

Sia closes the distance but is hit by the barrage. d8 damage, ignores armor.

Nearby, Cog hurries to the aid of her comrades, constructing strange and alien weapons from thin air. As energy sparked the crackled around the head of the weapon, she realized something was off. Yellow and orange lightning sparked, then bubbled like liquid in the air around Cog, emitting a powerful, noxious scent. The boiling bolts hung in the air like frozen icicles at first, but then began moving again in a sickening and bizarre, worm-like way.

Everyone on the wall momentarily freaked out during Cog's display. However when the worms of lightning began moving about, fear overtook them as sisters pushed their way to get off the wall. One errant worm air-crawled its way until it touched the stone wall, not far from where Neram was standing, and at its touch, the stone began to melt like ice.

Cog has accidentally created a very dangerous effect in the air above the outer wall of the Sacntuary.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"HA-HA-HA!"

Desidero was not afraid of getting hurt. He was, however, afraid of getting burned. It had taken a lot of trial and error to get his hair the way he liked it, and if there was one thing that was a turn-off to the rescued maiden community, it was the reek of burnt moustaches.

He dropped into a slide, grinding the dirt and grass beneath him as a blast of green flame coruscated through the air, then popped back up, jumped and clamped his dagger in his teeth. Reaching up with his free hand, he grasped a plate of Rory's armor, pulled himself up the giant's back and the leapt from his shoulders, above the flames licking the brute's body and dove at his enemy, fists filled with blades.

Defy Danger: 2d6+2 9

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cog
HP: 22/23 | XP 1/11 | Imagination: 2

"Ack! Holy crap!" Cog yelled and dived away. She cut out Sammi's scream of terror. She didn't need that throwing off her aim even more. It didn't help the holy energies that gathered in this place was already messing with her control.

"Master! Get away! Its Wyrd warped! It'll kill you to touch it!"

She needed to get back on the wall, she needed to recalibrate the hammer as well. She gave it a jerk, its parts moving and adjusting.

- - -
Shoot at things: 2d6+2 10
Damage roll + Wyrd: 1d8+2 6
1 point of Imagination spent for +Wyrd damage.
Imagination = 1
-You undergo a strange physical change, this lasts until you have 0 Imagination

- - -

"Right, let's try that again." She spat, jumping up from cover, ducking down again and scampering away from the Wryd Worms. Popping up further down the wall and letting loose a proper volley. Pelting the Firemage with deadly eldritch energy!

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 9, 2015

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Neram Katikeram
HP: 17/17 | Armor: 1/1 | Load 2/7 | XP: 0/10 | Tick Tick

Neram's eyes scanned the scene as the strange energies unleashed by his erstwhile apprentice ate away at his surroundings. Luckily it wasn't too quick, for the moment, as Neram looked about he mentally plotted a course between his current position and the ivy-shrouded hidden door, avoiding any and all areas of either mundane instability - or fluctuating instability caused by Sammi's magicks. Although originally the old man had intended to take Sammi along to find the star together - a good learning experience no doubt - but various distractions seemed to persist agonizingly throughout these proceedings that have made it become clearer and clearer that Neram may as well take the next opportunity to get to the star, so that he might leave this drab place - even with the bouts of violence which are to be assumed to be rather abnormal.

Still, no time like the present.

Defy Danger (Intelligence): 2d6+3 11

And time was definitely something Neram possessed, as he flexed the pistons built into the legs of his suit and... disappeared

(Spending one Tick (and gaining a Tock) to Time Skip:
"Time Skip: Move yourself anywhere you could get to by mundane means within Near range. You get
there in an instant.")

Now he was by the ivy-clad false wall. Even with all this chaos occurring, to have him force his way through one way or another would undoubtedly raise the alarm. But such temporary obstructions are nothing if given enough time. So Neram decided to get some more.

(Spending two Tock (gaining two Tick) to Stop Time:

Time Stop posted:

When you completely stop time, spend 2-Tock and roll +INT. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9.
choose one. Regardless, you can Time Skip during this move for free, as often as you like.
• You interfere with someone else's action - tell us how
• You deal your damage to someone within range
• You aren't in harm's way when the flow of time returns
(In this case I am intending to use it in a different situation)

Time Stop (Int): 2d6+3 12

(I would like to use the "You aren't in harm's way when the flow of time returns" option, as well as a special option for this situation: Namely to disassemble the wall and loosely reassemble it after passing through)

To outside observers, Neram was gone. Though the distractions would likely conceal the disappearance of an old man in a strange suit of armour.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Luca
HP: 18/18 | Armor: 2 | XP: 3/10 | Death Dealer 3/3 | All According to Plan 2

Teonis posted:

As you revealed Vanatius as an ally, he won't act against you, but he is quite annoyed with Desiderio and the loss of not only his bride, but the late merchant Ludicus' business assets.
Fair enough. Ally doesn't necessarily mean friend.

quote:

"And you may be our guest but we are not your servants! My sisters live in a convent, not run an inn."

Oh haha, what is she raving about. Wasn't Vanatius your guest, nun? And a rich, important one at that? Is hospitality simply beneath you? Cooking is for mortals you say? Is the mere thought making you fume? To make you grit your teeth and just want to scream? To make you feel like you were burning inside but not able to do anything? What if a fight were to break out, wouldn't that be much simpler? Luca could give you one right now. Vanatius would certainly play along now that you've insulted him.

Luca sighs. The other nuns might be out of sight but sound will carry far from the tower window. They would hear any fight, not to mention they would realize what had happened if Lucy didn't come back down.
"Oh calm down. We can dine on my bill if the convent is low on supplies." Time to change the subject before she says anything more.
"But yes, the cellar. To put it short I think there's something down there. The remains of something that stood here before the convent was built, buried under the stonework. I'm not sure what to expect. Some speak of a fallen star, hardly descriptive, but still interesting enough to look into. Of course I'm not thinking of stealing from the convent, but I gather that the lower levels have been practically abandoned for a long time. Nothing down there would probably be missed."

Luca stands up.
"Anyhow I believe we are done here if you have no men to spare. Let's move Dennis."
He turns his face to Lucy.
"Of course, you are welcome to accompany us and see that we aren't trying to make off with any valuable relics."

I'll be heading down and look for a way underground if Vanatius doesn't give me a good reason to stay. Also, I guess the location of the Unit, or rather, Ark, hasn't been stated in a while? I'm going to say he's still following Luca around.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Sia
HP: 15/24 | Armor 2 | XP 7/11 |

damage 2
The agony of the ghost flames consumes me, and it pisses me of even more.

"No you did NOT shoot that green poo poo at me!" I cough out, I grapple the other mage, spinning and building momentum enough to fling him high into the air, and right into the...whateverthefuck effect Sammi just did in the sky.
Hack & Slash 8

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Desiderio soars through the air, diving over the flames and landing behind the sorcerer with grace. Clear of the wall of unearthly flames, he strikes at the wielder of such fire with his own heroic steel. Driving his sword through the mage's back, he ends the onslaught of flames. As the green-fire mage dies, however, Desiderio sees an image of the man in his mind, wreathed in fire. It is strangely disturbing, but short lived as the image of the man burns away, leaving a cold feeling in its place. The hero pulls his sword free of the corpse, just in time for Rory to give the body a hard blow, sending it reeling across the battle field. Just as he is about to put his sword away, Desi looks down to see his blade smoldering with green fire; it seemed that the man's blood itself was burning.

Nearby, Sia grapples the remaining fire-wielder, using her speed and strength to overwhelm the spell-slinger. As the murder-monk tussles with the sorcerer, he tried to fend her off with yet more fire. Around the two of them the flames jump to life, hoping to swallow the woman before she inevitably kills him. However it was too little too late as Sia hurls the man in the air, back towards the Convent where some weird poo poo is going on in the sky.

Sia takes another d8 ignoring armor for the tussle with the caster. Also, please roll damage for your own attack. The wall is fairly far from where you are at this point, so it would take a throw worthy of Rory to get him there, but you still do damage.

Upon the wall, Cog hurried to escape the corrupting wyrd she'd created. Popping up further along the wall from where she'd started,she takes aim again with a newly recalibrated hammer. This time the device performed admirably as a bolt of crackling energy blasted forth from the implement. Crackling through the air, the bolt homed in on its desired target with alarming agility, actually catching the last flame-thrower in mid air as Sia threw him.

Cog would have applauded the shot, though as she looked now, her hands and forearms had turned into mechanical versions of their normal selves with gears for joins and pistons for muscles. Funny, they seemed to move just like her normals arms, however she didn't have any feeling in them. Made sense, considering they were machines now. When she turned to look for her master and get his opinion on the wyrd induced transformation he was gone.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Meanwhile, in only a split second of the events that were transpiring outside, Neram had moved to the first known entrance into the catacombs under the convent. Not just moved there in the blink of an eye, but also dismantled the barrier and reassembled it behind him, taking as much time as he needed. As the last brick was put back into place, Neram found himself left in darkness.

It only took a moment for Neram to produce his preferred light source, and in seconds he was making out the environment around him. The tunnel he found himself in seemed to slope down, through the earth-packed floor did not seems to do so, eventually resulting in the tunnel being completely buried. Just as he was about to give up on this possible entrance, there was a crumbling noise under the boot of Neram's steam-suit. The sound grew as the earth floor began to shrink away from him and in mere moments Neram found himself falling through the cracks with the rest of the dirt.

The entire floor was falling into whatever chamber was below this one, likely triggered by Neram's ver presence, he only had a split second (which ironically was all it took to get in here) to react before he would find himself falling with the floor.
_

Vanatus, unwilling to offer his men's assistance unless his bride was returned, appears to be of no further use to the mastermind Luca. It was evident that he was getting on Lucy's bad side as she glowered at him as he and Dennis left. Inevitably, she had no choice but to follow him down the stairs to the courtyard.

As the three of them reach the courtyard, chaos was ensuing, perhaps literally. The Senator's men were just coming back, those that survived Sia's onslaught, but as they reentered the walls of the convent, they were only introduced to panic once again as the sky erupted orange with slow moving bolts of lightning. They were so slow moving in fact they actually looked more like worms made out of lightning. So far they were mostly confined to the sky, however, 2 or 3 of them had fallen far enough to touch the stone wall, which bubbled as though acid had been poured on it.

"By Bolt!" Lucy exclaimed, "what is happening!" She could see many of the sisters had evacuated the wall and those who were out of harms way were praying in a group. A few still stood on the wall, uncertain how to handle the wyrd-warped lightning. The number on the wall also included Cog, who was focused on something outside the convent.

Immediately, Lucy ran to the stair and began making her way up the wall, wary of the tendrils of some of the lower hanging bolts of the worms.

It was then that out of the corner of his eye, Luca had a paranoid feeling that something moved. Looking across the garden, nothing looked different, although he noticed for the first time that one of the walls looked like it was repaired, bits of torn ivy lay scattered on the ground.

Never the less, if Luca wanted to get into the cellar, he could likely have one of the sisters show him the way, if not Lucy herself. Perhaps through the kitchen? Or maybe there is a larder or wine cellar? Either way, the nuns seemed rather distracted by the hellish effect the sky had currently taken on.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"Try not to get..." said Desiderio, pausing dramatically, "...too hot under the collar, friend! HA HA HA!"

Nice one, he thought to himself. That little vision in his brain was interesting and dramatic and no doubt boded not well, but he felt certain that nothing would come of it*.

Job done, Desiderio charged back over to where Sia was and unrolled his heavy cloak, and began trying to put out the fires that clung to her. Certes, they were magical flames. But his was a magical cloak**!

That gentleman he had bought it from in the bar had assured him of its magical properties.

* something will come of it.

**it is not a magical cloak.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 13, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cog
HP: 22/23 | XP 1/11 | Imagination: 1

"Ha!" Cog crowed from the walls, giving herself a little fist pump in celebration. Admittidly that was when she noticed her arms.

"Ah... poo poo." She examined the metal of her fingers. The circle on the back of her hand glowed a warning red. "The mask is breaking down.... nuts. I'm running low on juice too. Need to be careful"

'why can't I-I feel m-my arms...?' Sammi questioned, well, at least she'd stopped screaming in terror.

'The less power I have, the less... normal... I look. It'll pass once I slumber again. Don't worry about it.'

'Don't w-w-worry about it?! You d-do know w-who you're t-talking to right...?!'

'Ooooh! The mouse's got a little lip on her! Hehehe, could use a little work. But it's not a bad start.

'C-Cog, I-I'm serious!' Sammi pleaded

'Hush, it'll be fine!'

Cog brought her attention back to present. Looking around to make sure that Nerham was okay. He was nowhere to be seen. How the...? Her attention was drawn to the approching storm of Lucy.

"Ah... u-um sorry about the wall...!"

'D-Did... d-did you just s-stammer?' Sammi seemed supprised.

'I AM still you, and she scares the crap out of me!' Cog whispered back defensively.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jul 16, 2015

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Luca

Lucy dashes past Luca to the wall. It takes some major willpower for him not to command her to get back this instant. She was supposed to follow along, dammit. Got to salvage this somehow. He walks over to where his cane and crossbow are laying while looking at the lighting from under his eyebrows.

"Take a good look Dennis, this might be the only time we'll see boozed up bolts of lighting."
The things are worrisome yes, but there's still comfortable distance between them and Luca. While they aren't a threat to him yet, they are quickly ruining his day by dragging Lucy away. Something will have to happen about that, but how to affect the things...

Discern Realities, electroworms: 2d6+2 12
Who’s really in control here?
What should I be on the lookout for?
What here is useful or valuable to me?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Neram Katikeram

Neram, now free of any troubling witnesses that might gain insights into his nature felt that it would be more appropriate to be more proactive from now on. With that in mind he concentrated once more - as the world (to him) changed hues, and he excised the moment between now and later, and in some universe he would have used a piston-influenced run/jump mixture to make it down to the floor below unharmed. But reality manifested here in him making it down there immediately - regardless of what was happening elsewhere. The fundamental differences between this and stopping time are important and possess very strong metaphysical differences, but few are privy to such knowledge - and fewer still care much about it.

Spending one tick (gaining one tock) to Time Skip to the floor, using my Jumper system from my suit to "take no damage from controlled falls".

Of course the metaphysical differences similarly clearly require time to be manipulated at a balance, speeding up and slowing down all have their costs, as does stopping time entirely - or performing even grander tasks. Though Neram himself had by his changed nature gained some relief from all strains of such a balancing act, though it is a cold comfort for someone who threw away their youth.

I'm not sure what I should be rolling (if anything).

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Sia
HP: 7/24 | Armor 2 | XP 7/11 |

taking damage 8

dealing damage 9 2 piercing messy forceful
I used centrifugal force to throw the mage, rather than pure strength like Rory would have. kinda like this.

Just as I release the fuckhead, I'm tackled from the side by a heavy blanket that smells like bad b.o. masked by even worse cologne. Fuckin Desi. He's got me wrapped and beats the flames out, poo poo I forgot I was on fire for a second. I guess I owe him one, hosed if I ever tell him that.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007
Outside the wall, Sia flings the final flame-fond foe flying with fantastic force. To which, Sammi's bolt strikes him in mid air before he soars through the cloud of wyrd-warp. As his body passes over one of the 'worms' it simply dissolves where the lightning touches it, splitting hte body in half before it falls to the ground. With no more apparent foes in the field, Desiderio proceeds to smother Sia with his musty cloak. The flames themselves seem to pass directly through the dank rag, just as they seemed to pass through Sia's body before.

As the flames continue to sear her from the inside, Sally is able to make her way over to the pair and with a shrill note, she smothers the flames within Sia as well as the flames that still wreathed Desiderio's sword from the mage he took down. "They are some kind of 'spirit-fire,'" Sally adds, "We're fortunate that my sound can pierce them. They said something about Akumu when they attacked, do you think they followed us from East Haven?"

With the fighting over, Sia has a moment to examine her burns, and like Sally suggested, the flames that were burning inside her felt like they were eating at her soul instead of her body. Though the flames on the outside still hurt her body just as much. Rory similarly, had large scorches across his forearms where he was muscling through the fire. "There were only three?" the brute asks. "That was barely a warmup. Who the hell were they?" Unfortunately it did not appears that the trio ad left any survivors to answer that question.
_

Neram, equipped for everything, skips the landslide forward to its end and falls down the slope it created, protected by the jump stabilizers built into his suit. Any light that was filtering through the bricks above did not reach down here. In the darkness the only thing Neram could tell was that beyond the collapsed floor there was a stone one.

As his eyes tried to adjust to the pitch black, a light shone from near, in fact, on his person. Creeping between the stitches of his belt pouch, a dim light was shining from within. Opening up the bag, Neram found a glowing marble, much like the one that he'd seen Sammi and Sia wearing around their necks. The girl must have found a moment to slip one on him, and it was a blessing she had. The stone was bright in Neram's hands, almost blinding to look directly at in the dark of the underground. However, the marble did it's job of lighting up the dark places of the world, pushing back the black into nothing but flickers and creeping shadows on the edge of his vision.

Above, the clockmaker could see the passage he came in on collapse into another one under the dirt and the added weight of his armor. He'd fallen about 20 feet, so he could possibly use his suit's jumping capacity to reach the entrance again or the tunnel he could have been in had the floor not caved in. The passage he was in now was a square shaped hallway, stretching into darkness in two directions, one of which abruptly turned a corner, and the other extending into darkness. The walls were cut stone and worn down, one side of the passage was filled with the debris of the cave in. He could still faintly hear the sounds of shouting and panic from above, but the tunnel was shrouded in silence.

I was going to have you mark of a use of whatever light source you had, but looking over your character sheet I am worried you don't have one. Because of this, I am assuming that Sammi gave you one of the fire marbles the party uses. I think we had an undisclosed number of them so it is safe to assume that there was some extra after each person got one. If you have some way to fasten it to your armor, you can do so, otherwise you'll be carrying it in one hand.
_

Lucy quickly reached the top of the wall, warily watching the 'boozed-up lightning' for sudden movements. "Quick, get down!" she said, reaching to grab Cog's arm. "I don't know what you made, but if they are made of wyrd, they can probably boil right through us as well." As Lucy lead Cog away from the wyrd, she is able to get one last glance over the wall at her friends, fortunately it looked like they beat the green-robed mages. Cog knew that Sammi had seen their kind before, when "Lord Akumu" killed their master of their order, though it was a surprise to see them here.

In the courtyard, many nuns were now gathered in prayer, lead by the mother superior herself, seeking aid from Bolt to abolish the unnatural lightning. Lucy lead Cog back to Luca and turned to examine the phenomenon. "Well, they look like lightning bolts, but orange, and in slow motion," Another one reached the wall, which bubbled like acid, "and made of boiling acid..."

It was true, like lightning bolts, they were in fact traveling down towards the earth, which put the convent in danger. But on the other hand, they were like really slow drunk worms. Unstoppable worms. "I don't feel any wyrd energy, not like the kind Rags fed off Sammi... sorry," she added uncertainly. "I don't know how you made them, so I'm not sure how to stop them. I seriously doubt they can be absorbed in any way. Has anything like this happened before?"

What is one thing Sammi recalls about the green-flame mages? Also, Sammi is reminded of the time she changed the forest near Codcliff; has there been any other time where Sammi had warped the wyrd this strangely before?

Meanwhile, Luca consults his bizarre knowledge of the wyrd from his wild experiments and studies of the subject. He painstakingly ran over the catalogues of information he had as he considered who's really in control of the event. It seemed like the lightning was really just doing its own thing, but the phenomena was closely linked with Cog's power. It was possible it was so powerful because Sammi never had this kind of power before Cog showed up. Outside the strange rear end lightning, the sisters we in control of the convent, the imperial soldiers were really just sitting by, and Vanatius had lost his reason for being here and was likely going to leave once this fuckery was over.

As he watched the next bolt melt the top of the stone wall, Luca considered what should he be on the lookout for. The obvious answer was to not touch the lightning, but if he could somehow remedy the situation, this could certainly be an opportunity to gain favor of the sisters and their cooperation in finding the secret of the cellar. He also made a note in the back of his mind about the subtle flicker he'd seen near the rebuilt brick wall in the garden.

While getting control of the phenomena was obviously the thing he would want to do, Luca thought of what here is useful or valuable to him. Other than getting the mother superior in his debt for ending the lightning before their Bolt could, the most valuable thing here was likely the two monsters standing right beside him, or possibly whatever the 'falling star' in the cellar was. Apart from that, if Senator Vanatius was here, there was a possibility that he had some supplies hold up nearby that might be rare of valuable if he wanted to try to steal from the senator. Some of his soldiers might know where the senator keeps his things.

Lots to see, lots to do. Theres is the obvious stuff you can do, but I also tried to include some side nonsense if you wanted to cause more trouble.

As Luca finishes his own analysis, the Unit, a.k.a. Ark, seemingly reappears from nowhere. "This disturbance is generated by a massive influx of wyrd, disrupted by the energies of the local god." Last time anyone had seen the unit, it was in the guest lodging, describing how it had free will and followed its own guidance. This all just before Sammi became Cog. Most likely, it was processing and storing information and analyzing the loops in time that were created by the ritual. Surely if Luca had the time Ark would be able to tell it a lot about what had actually happened.

"You were displeased the last time I acted on my own," It said to Luca, "Would you like for me to suppress the power of this monster now?" Considering the effect that the suppression had on Rags, it could probably cancel the wyrd lightning, but who knew what would happen to Lucy or Cog standing right next to it.

Teonis fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 17, 2015

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Desiderio wrinkled his nose as he pulled his magic cloak off of Sia. It appeared that he had kept it bundled in his pack for longer than he had thought and now it was all mildewy. "That must be why it didn't put out the flames!" he said. "Everyone knows damp mold compromises magical integrity!" Carelessly throwing it away, he collected Saissa and looked to his companions.

"Let us away! To the ship! Also, who's Lord Akumu?"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cog
HP: 22/23 | XP 1/11 | Imagination: 1

"Um, well, to be frank with you. Those wizards... They were a cult. They were actually trying to sacrifice Sammi to some stupidly named entity. Rags murdered the poo poo out of their leader. Like, stripped him down peice by piece in front of his followers. Clothes, each layer of skin, major muscle groups, blood system, layers of bone. It was pretty gross. They've been hunting for them ever since. But given that Rags is gone now, all they've got left to look for is... well... us." She pointed at herself, indicating herself and Sammi.

"They're spirit weavers. They attack the spirit of things, soul fire basically. Not nice people. Their wounds burn for days, can consume a whole person. You need something of a soothing nature to the soul to really counteract it. Like music for instance."

Cog gives a nervous look back at the worms.

"Now those things are something new... living plasma discharge enhanced by the Wyrd. Possibly intelligent, but I wouldn't want to try and find out. Looks like they'll melt through anything they touch. I was just trying to fire the hammer." She held up the weapon. It hummed softly, an odd rippling effect in the air around its large solid looking double head. "Looks like I didn't calibrate it correctly when I made it. Put too much power in without enough direction. Wouldn't be the first time the Wyrd has caused strange things to happen..."

She she talk about the time Sammi became nothing but Fire and burn down that bastards house? Maybe she should talk about the time that she hosed up so badly that she turned a river into a hoard of flesh eating insects? Possibly the moment that she pulled someone's nightmares into the real world and they ran rampant over a whole town. Or that time she became a boy... gods she's had some lovely adventures.

"No... I've never come across anything like this... nor has Sammi. I'll be honest it's weird. I know the wyrd is capable of anything... but I didn't think that that could happen... It's like the Wyrd's pushing though. Getting more powerful."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Neram Katikeram
HP: 17/17 | Armor: 1/1 | Load 2/7 | XP: 1/10 | Tick Tock

The old man considered his surrounds as he used his free hand to twist and turn a hidden mechanism by his neck, and with a click a section of one of the clasps one of the bandolier-like straps across the front of his armour opened up. Then he placed the pearl into the open section and twisted the mechanism back the other way causing it to retract someone - grabbing the pearl and holding it tight on the front of him. The added light source was a pleasant surprise, of course in less trying times he would have likely had the opportunity to gather more supplies, but now is better than later, given the circumstances.

Hmm.

It would be best to glean as much information as possible given the circumstances. Consequently Neram peered about the chamber he was in as he moved carefully around it, shining the light upon anything and everything - especially down the corridors (without walking down them fully) in hopes of working out anything important, and moreover anything pertaining to the location of the star. Perhaps if he paused his breathing and marshalled his senses...

Discern Realities (Wis): 2d6+1 6

Marking XP.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Anyone got an eta on their next post?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Anyone got an eta on their next post?

I am catching up now and will get a post together either tonight or tomorrow morning. Sorry for being so silent!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Sia
HP: 7/24 | Armor 2 | XP 7/11 |

In the aftermath of battle, I sit for a moment, examining my burns. It hurts, but the hurt is dim, like soeone shouting from far away. I wonder if this could be another side effect of becoming one with the bloody silver? As the others talk, their voices become dim and far away, much like my pain. I'm left in my thoughts, barely aware of what's around me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Luca

quote:

"Would you like for me to suppress the power of this monster now?"
There. It. Goes. Again. Damnit, that's not a possibility Lucy needs to be reminded of right now. "Never mind that." Luca mutters to Ark. Hopefully she did not hear it speak it's mind. So annoying. Luca already very much thinks of Ark as a possession of his, it acting even a little out of his control is driving him mad. He could have briefed it on his intentions but can he really trust that it wouldn't take Lucy's side? He has to find a way to quarantee loyalty. To quarantee control.

quote:

"No... I've never come across anything like this... nor has Sammi. I'll be honest it's weird. I know the wyrd is capable of anything... but I didn't think that that could happen... It's like the Wyrd's pushing though. Getting more powerful."
"I see. I suppose looking for a more precise explanation would be futile." With much bravado Luca whips out the magic horn acquired from the merfolk. "I'm just going to try out something then."

Dennis Looks down on Sammi (or Cog, he doesn't really get it,) pityingly. Having been unable to be of any use to Luca must be tearing her up inside. He edges closer to her. "I know it can make you feel horrible when you don't understand what is going on, but don't blame yourself. Not knowing how to stop this spellery doesn't mean you are bad at what you do. I don't think any magician really understands what they are doing." He leans closer. "And I know some, they really don't."

Meanwhile Luca toots the horn. There don't seem to be any dragons around so it should conjure up the ghost of a dead one. There's really no way to know how it will interact with the worms but its worth a try. With any luck it'll get rid of them, or at least drag one underground so he'll have an excuse to drag Lucy there...

• Locked thread