Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
But handling isnt locked behind levelling :confused: Each car handles in it's own way, the only thing a higher level will give you is a bit more grip. But it won't change thee way a car will understeer/oversteer into and out of bends.

You just picked a different (better) car and found it easier, shocker.

The end of the game is easier because the required caar level starts levelling out at 700 or so but you can keep levelling up your cars way past that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The grip stat is the only thing that determines handling. Naturally as speeds and acceleration increases the required grip to keep traction increases.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Extra posted:

The grip stat is the only thing that determines handling. Naturally as speeds and acceleration increases the required grip to keep traction increases.

Er, so explain how different cars with identical grip stats handle totally differently. At least into the equation goes whether a car is RWD, FWD, or AWD. On top of that is weight, and they seem to have done a decent job of weight balancing too (Front engine cars feel front heavy and understeer more at speed). And you can tell that weight is a real factor by trying to complete jump skills is a heavy as gently caress car. You just can't get the speed or the flight time if you're carrying a lot of weight.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Encountered a really weird graphical bug tonight while cruising in Freeroam:

It only occurred on a certain bit of road, and fixed itself once I got out of that specific area. First time I've ever had that happen, so I have no idea what caused it.

Also, I don't know what Ivory Tower did to matchmaking, but i'm seeing a lot more people when i'm out cruising around. There's still plenty of barren, empty stretches if I'm just out loving about in the middle of nowhere, but for the most part, the world seems a lot more populated now, which is nice. Maybe now I'll be able to join Crews again :v:

Oh, also, this game desperately needs a photo mode. There's so much gorgeous scenery, something like Forza 4 had in terms of being able to go into a free camera mode would allow you to get some great screenshots. I'd kill for the Forza style photography mode in this game.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

T1g4h posted:

Encountered a really weird graphical bug tonight while cruising in Freeroam:

I've gotten that a few times out in the southern part of the 'mountain states'. Usually it'll clear up if I go to the map and then back to driving.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

T1g4h posted:

Oh, also, this game desperately needs a photo mode. There's so much gorgeous scenery, something like Forza 4 had in terms of being able to go into a free camera mode would allow you to get some great screenshots. I'd kill for the Forza style photography mode in this game.

I read an article by a dev that states a (paraphrasing) 'new camera mode that's suitable for exploring' is on its way. Honestly, if it's similar to what you're describing, American Road Trip Simulator 2014 could well become American Landscape Photography Simulator 2014. Uplay has a screenshot button, right?

This page is blocked at my work, but I think it's where I read it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

I read an article by a dev that states a (paraphrasing) 'new camera mode that's suitable for exploring' is on its way. Honestly, if it's similar to what you're describing, American Road Trip Simulator 2014 could well become American Landscape Photography Simulator 2014. Uplay has a screenshot button, right?

This page is blocked at my work, but I think it's where I read it.

Ooooh, good to know they're already planning on adding it! I've just seen so many great spots where players could park their tricked out cars and get some great shots, adding that sort of feature is basically a given. And yeah, U-Play and Steam both have screenshot hotkeys, so that works out well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

"Seven years ago, when I presented The Crew to Serge - at the time it was named Route 66 - the Data Stations were already in my mind," he continued. "It's something that's completely natural for me, and a simple way to unlock areas."

Ubisoft game development, everybody.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Ubisoft game development, everybody.

Except that the person talking in that quote was not an Ubisoft person at the time, It was one of the Ivory Tower devs. Learn to read?

A decent Photo camera is another thing TDU2 did pretty well (Could have done better, slightly more free movement)

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 19, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AirRaid posted:

Except that the person talking in that quote was not an Ubisoft person at the time, It was one of the Ivory Tower devs. Learn to read?

A decent Photo camera is another thing TDU2 did pretty well (Could have done better, slightly more free movement)

The person talking in the quote was pitching it to Ubisoft.

Learn to read? :smuggo: (seriously dude who the gently caress cares)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

You brought it up?

And back to my earlier comments - you're trying to shoehorn in some hate for Ubisoft when clearly none is applicable to that situation.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Unpopular opinion time, I actually really like the Data Station method of uncovering the map. It works really well :shrug:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I laughed really hard when I realized that the gold medal ghosts apparently rubberband also. If I am behind one for most of a challenge then pass it at the end it's entirely possible to finish ahead of the gold medal ghost and get a bronze. How in hell can you possible gently caress up what should be a fixed ghost?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

BitBasher posted:

I laughed really hard when I realized that the gold medal ghosts apparently rubberband also. If I am behind one for most of a challenge then pass it at the end it's entirely possible to finish ahead of the gold medal ghost and get a bronze. How in hell can you possible gently caress up what should be a fixed ghost?

Depends on the skill, it's based on scoring points rather than position, so that makes sense how. If you miss a bunch of targets or have the point multiplier reset, it's possible to get ahead of the ghost and still get a lower medal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Wait skill challenge or race? Either way there are usually things that award/penalize points, so you could have cost some of those.

If its a skill challenge the ghosts are static. If you passed it and got bronze, you must have missed some gates or gone slower to get a lower combo.

If its a mission or race or whatever, then the ghosts are all based on you and the current race, and there is no "gold medal ghost". They're all just AI, and they can all be collided with and slowed down.

In both cases its not the ghost that ever determines your medal. Its the score/time.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 20, 2015

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Lyer posted:

Depends on the skill, it's based on scoring points rather than position, so that makes sense how. If you miss a bunch of targets or have the point multiplier reset, it's possible to get ahead of the ghost and still get a lower medal.

Speed challenges and escapes do this. The escapes are based on pure distance according to the description. Also, I have had escapes end with 4-8 seconds left on the countdown.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Looks like they've started adding in some of the missing specs. I was able to put Dirt spec on a few of my vehicles that couldn't get it before, so hopefully we'll be getting more Raid and Circuit stuff soon.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I noticed the Mini (not the street edition) has Circuit spec now.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Some of the new Faction missions are really rad. If you guys haven't tried them yet, you need to play Vertigo and Rollercoaster. Vertigo is a high speed Dirt spec time trial that runs along the edge of the Grand Canyon, and Rollercoaster is a Raid run that has a really great downhill section at the end where you get some major speed. I think I got my Hummer up to about 185mph at one point :v:

Speaking of Raid, I know some of you guys like the Focus, so I figured I should mention, they added its Raid spec in :getin:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

T1g4h posted:

Some of the new Faction missions are really rad. If you guys haven't tried them yet, you need to play Vertigo and Rollercoaster. Vertigo is a high speed Dirt spec time trial that runs along the edge of the Grand Canyon, and Rollercoaster is a Raid run that has a really great downhill section at the end where you get some major speed. I think I got my Hummer up to about 185mph at one point :v:

Speaking of Raid, I know some of you guys like the Focus, so I figured I should mention, they added its Raid spec in :getin:

:getin:

Yeah Rollercoaster is really awesome. I wish they'd added some more of the 10-30, $30k min missions in, those are the ones I tend to play the most.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I finally think I found a thing that stops the game from crashing every 1-2 hours: I deleted all my friends in Uplay.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Really loving all this new content Ivory Tower keeps rolling out. Got a Circuit spec for my Gallardo now, and i'm 90% certain they added a bunch of new paintjobs and vinyls.

Anodized bronze paint and a full graffiti bodywrap. I know people talk poo poo about this game, but if they keep adding new content like this every month, it's going to be awesome. Now if only they'd do away with the stupid Platinum part RNG :argh:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this game better yet

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

They're adding cool stuff, but you're not going to like it if you didn't before.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I picked it up; it's basically Driver San Francisco 2, right down to the map, with a more Need For Speed Underground flair to it. I enjoy it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Vintage Pack is out for Season Pass owners. Two Corvettes and a Spyker, all of which are only available in Performance spec. As much as I like this game and love the Corvettes, I'm kinda getting tired of Performance spec cars. There's already a shitload of them in the game, kinda wish they'd add in more Dirt and Raid specs, or even Circuit.

At least the new C3 looks cool? Plus, it has :krad: sidepipes.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
When is this game dropping to $20 or less? I want to play car dress up and throw mud tires on a mustang. Can I do that?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cage posted:

When is this game dropping to $20 or less? I want to play car dress up and throw mud tires on a mustang. Can I do that?

Yeah. You have to kit it to "Dirt" or "Raid" spec first, but there's at least a couple mustangs that'll do each.

You'll also have to play a bit into the game to unlock those specs, but it doesn't take forever.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Haven't played for a while, but a bit of discussion about the game in the Steam thread made me have a look to see if any updates are planned, and I found this. Looks good.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/03/12/big-crew-update-goes-live-march-18-adds-new-pvp-mode/

Some stuff that stuck out for me:

quote:

- Added searching filters in the lobby by Car Spec and PvP game mode.

-Reduced the chance to trigger a crash sequence when colliding with environment or other cars. Now, it only happens when the user is driving at a very high speed.

-Improvement on behavior of Cops AI

-Improvement on opponents AI in missions related to user’s car level to have a better game experience in the Race missions.

No mention of free camera mode unfortunately.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

quote:

-Reduced the chance to trigger a crash sequence when colliding with environment or other cars. Now, it only happens when the user is driving at a very high speed.

THIIIIIIIIIS. This right here if it is done right will bring me back to the game. Stunt videos ahoy!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm stoked on the new Circuit specs for the classic muscle cars personally. Can't wait to see that Circuit spec Impala, that should be hilarious :v:

Gonna use muscle cars for every spec ever once they add in the Raid '69 Camaro.

Speaking of the '69 Camaro, gently caress yes, improved handling in Street and Perf coming with this next patch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Apologies for doublepostin', but how do you guys feel about the changes to the close chase camera? I'm still getting used to it, and it could stand to be tweaked a bit so it's not so incredibly rigid, but I'm actually kinda liking the change. Perf cars don't feel so sluggish and understeer prone any more, they actually turn in and respond to inputs way better now. Try driving in the close chase cam and then switch to the far chase cam, it's basically like night and day.

• Locked thread