Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Couldn't find a thread for this show, but it's back. It's been back for a good while now.

On FXX, Wednesdays at 10PM

Wilfred is the US version of an Australian show of the same name, starring Elijah Wood as Ryan, a confused young man who after an unsuccessful suicide attempt is greeted by new neighbors and their dog, Wilfred (Jason Gann). To everyone else Wilfred is a normal dog, but to Ryan he is a man in a low-rent dog suit. He could also be an alien. Or a hallucination. Or a god. Most people who watch the show don't really care and prefer the mystery. The fourth and final season finds Ryan once again with more questions than answers when it comes to Wilfred, and he struggles to separate himself from his controlling father (James Remar) while handling relationships with his sister (Dorian Brown), his unrequited love-interest and neighbor Jenna (Fiona Gubelmann), and Jenna's husband and all-around airhead Drew (Chris Klein).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This season is probably my second favourite so far besides 2. Love how much they're just throwing any semblance of sanity out the window. Was wondering, where does everyone fall on the 'wanting answers' scale? I know there are some who are content to never have things explained, but I think they focus so much on it that leaving it all up in the air at this point would be really unsatisfying.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'd be fine if they never revealed it, especially with how much they've teased all the possibilities. Or that the answer was something really obvious and mundane. It feels like they've overdone it already with all the misdirection so it would be hard for the real answer to be any crazier.

This season feels much more focused compared to the last one where the overarching story tended to take a backseat a lot for some self-contained subplots but this is really trucking along nicely.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Well, they obviously have to go somewhere with it, as the mystery is driving most of the story this season, with the trickster dog god and the other helpful one and all that. They don't have to give a definitive answer though.

Pretty dang cool poo poo with Bruce being a dog or not or whatever, and the episode earliert with the hallucinations and all that. I never was watching for the mystery but I do like when the show is weird, and always all the dog jokes. I think the earlier seasons were my favorite probably? But I don't really remember anymore.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This season has been pretty goddamn dark. I'm still firmly in the "Ryan is in a mental institution having a nervous breakdown" camp. I've always felt like Wilfred is the Id to Ryans Ego and Ryans father is the SuperEgo. I'm sure this has all been said before, but it's the theory I like the best. It's never been more relevant than this season with Ryans dad dying and him spinning out of control.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I liked where they were going in the beginning of the season, where every episode presented a different explanation for Wilfred. But now that they're narrowing down to this dual god thing, it's less interesting.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Episode 7: Responsibility

Ryan helps his mother adjust to her new life as Wilfred deals with a new nemesis.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

poo poo there's been a new season airing? I hadn't heard a thing until I happened upon this thread just now.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

It's moved from fx to fxx.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
WELP. Hope this ends up on my Amazon Prime subscription. Great job not telling me about this FOX so I couldn't change my DVR series recording to the new channel, it's not like I'm constantly watching shows on FX or anything where you could have hit me up with an ad. Does FXX do On Demand???

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Great episode - it feels like every single episode has had a deceptively simple trailer and a game-changing moment. I'm glad they're making the most of the final season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's not Mary Steenburgen as his mum this time...is it? Buncha weird-rear end cast changes this season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bown posted:

That's not Mary Steenburgen as his mum this time...is it? Buncha weird-rear end cast changes this season.

They couldn't get her back. It's Mimi Rogers now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
THAT ENDING HOLY gently caress.

Also "You don't get to get out of doing the dishes just because you were gang-raped."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Wow what a dark episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I guess Wilfred is going to turn out to be a good guy after all, but man is that a 180 from the early seasons. There are just so many episodes where Wilfred does such horrendously awful things to Ryan. A lot of them are like "This is so awful that it would irreparably end the relationship if this weren't a TV show."

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So it's the finale next week with two back-to-back episodes.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I don't know, keep in mind that the earlier episodes foreshadowed that Wilfred would betray Ryan at the last minute.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Finally watched the last episode. Wow, I can't say that I saw this being the direction the show was heading in. I don't think Wilfred will die though, but I have no idea how else this show could end.

Wilfred giving away Bear was a great scene.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Two last episodes back-to-back tonight. Hang on to your butts and prepare to definitely be disappointed that the truth is exactly what you expected/not at all what you expected.

Episode 9: Resistence

Ryan struggles to maintain hope in the face of seemingly insurmountable challenges.

Episode 10: Happiness

Series finale. Ryan finally learns the truth about Wilfred.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Oh this is lovely, I have DirecTV and I had FXX all last season of Sunny and so on, and now I wanna watch Wilfred and I apparently don't get FXX anymore. So, instead of FXX getting on more cable plans, it seems to be losing ground?? Or at least in this case. I wanna watch the finale!!!

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
For a second I thought the pilot was playing again. I really didn't see Wilfred dying before the very last episode.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Extremely pleased with these finale episodes and how they wrapped this story up.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I didn't really understand the finale. So Wilfred really was all in his head after all?

Civil Lies
Sep 3, 2008
I'm not sure if I'm not okay with that ending or if I'm very okay with it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad we got an answer, even though it might not be the one I wanted. They tied all the plots throughout the show's run together very well, though. Loved the scene involving the basement door towards the end.

I'm sure you could find a bunch of times where Ryan literally could not have done something Wilfred was meant to have done, but who cares? I wasn't always the biggest fan of this show but this final season was pretty great and had a more than satisfactory conclusion.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't think the ending would make sense unless it was some sort of hybrid explanation: it may have been in his head all along, but his crazy cultist dad's prophecies may have actually been somewhat true

I know they made the dad seem crazy, remorseful and in denial about his prophecies. He said "I made it all up". Yet his exact prophecy came true with his own biological son. And how else could Brian associate the guy that played Mattdamon during cult rituals (and Bruce, I guess) to the human form he saw Wilfred as? I doubt it was repressed memories all along.

And in a sense, Wilfred did help Ryan achieve happiness. Getting the girl next door was always a fool's pursuit, his real happiness can come by realizing and accepting the fact that he's mentally ill. Now, it seems like he'll be able to control his mental illness and have Wilfred with him forever.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I really didn't like where the show went in the last episode, the one before it seemed like a perfect finale to me. Wilfred dieing and the pullout to show his regular dog body was amazing and effective, they didn't really need to go that one extra step and make Ryan full on crazy but accepting of his own illness.

edit: I do appreciate, however, that they kind of gave us two finales. You could just stop after Resistance if you prefer the more fantastical outcome.

The Duke fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 15, 2014

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

That shot from within the closet/basement door felt like such a rip at first, but I'm actually glad they left a few things not quite resolved.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just want to point out that the opening quote of the first episode (also called Happiness) is....

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination." - Mark Twain

So, it was all right there from the first second of the show :D.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know about Ryan just compartmentalizing his mental illness as a happy ending. If it were just seeing Wilfred that would be one thing, but him acting out destructive behaviors in a fugue state is pretty hosed up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PostNouveau posted:

If it were just seeing Wilfred that would be one thing, but him acting out destructive behaviors in a fugue state is pretty hosed up.

That was sort of addressed though. Ryan and Wilfred came to an understanding that Wilfred will stop taking control and gently caress off completely from time to time as long as Ryan actually listens to his advice instead of automatically taking up a contrary position.

That was Ryan's journey in the show and nicely fits in to the rant he gave Jenna. Ryan took off his mask in the end. He is not a sane person doing battle against something supernatural. The resolution of that conflict allowed him to properly cope with what his inner voice was telling him.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Duke posted:

Wilfred dieing and the pullout to show his regular dog body was amazing and effective, they didn't really need to go that one extra step and make Ryan full on crazy but accepting of his own illness.

I'm not a fan of how depressing the last season has been, but the montage of Ryan with the real Wilfred was what I'd been waiting for for three years.

klf11
Aug 17, 2014
just finished the last 2 episodes last night, decent ending, i will definitely miss this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
I just shot gunned this season off my dvr. I'm kind of amazed at how through one season they show all the variations of coping with mental illness. First there is amanda his ex girlfriend who is trying to beat it with routine. Then there is his mom who uses codependency and therapy. His real dad who isolates himself and takes twelve different medications. Then there is ryan in the final minutes of the episode. He knows he is mentally unstable but because he is aware he thinks he can treat it as a strength.

I loved this show. I just wish they showed us what he saw as the basement in the last episode when he went through that fugue like state.

I was looking into the Australian version and it seems like it is just the back drop things in the us version like seeing wilfred use a shovel to dig mixed with a buddy comedy.

• Locked thread