Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

My mom and I tried out a recipe yesterday that I'm going to post here. It's a hybrid between quality and sorta trashy. It's a Tomato Pie.

OK, here's the recipe:

One 9" pie crust (you can make it yourself or be trashy like we did and use Pillsbury.)

Par-bake the crust for about 11 minutes until it's golden brown at 425 (I think). Let it cool to at least room temp, we froze it for a bit to make sure it was dry.

You need 4 ripe summer tomatoes from your garden or the farmer's market, no substitutes. Peel and slice them. Salt the tomatoes and let them drain in a collander for at least 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, take at least 10 basil leaves that you either grew or that also came from the farmer's market (we used a bit more) and dice them bitches. Also, dice up 1/4 cup of green onion or scallions. You could probably use regular onion, too.

You also mix up 1 cup mayonaisse (you could make your own, we used olive oil Kraft), 1 cup shredded mozzerella, and 1 cup shredded cheddar. We added 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder to this mix, but fresh would have been better.

Take your now par-baked pie crust and layer tomato, then salt and pepper it, then add onions and basil, then another layer of tomato, then salt pepper, then onions and basil, then more tomatos and the rest of the onions and basil. Cover with the garlic/mayo/cheese mix and bake for 30 minutes at 350.

This came out rich, and tasty. The heavy mayo seems trashy, but the fresh ingredients sort of off set that. Give it a shot!

Mad_Lion fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:psyduck: a cup of mayo??? on a baked tart? PLUS *two* cups of shredded cheese?

jesus lord almighty I can't even imagine you'd taste 4 tomatoes under all that, much less the difference between good tomatoes and bad tomatoes. or 10 leaves of basil.

I mean I'm all for tomato tarts, and I don't object to a little baked cheese, but.... jesus.

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

You'd be surprised. It sounded horrible to me until I tasted it. The fresh quality tomatoes and the fresh basil really shine, but perhaps the mayo mix is a bit heavy. I don't know, I was sorta wanting to see reactions from the goons... It's definately heavy. But the tomato/basil/garlic flavor was there. You could probably cut the mayo in half and it would still be good.

Mad_Lion fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 27, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mad_Lion posted:

You'd be surprised. It sounded horrible to me until I tasted it. The fresh quality tomatoes and the fresh basil really shine, but perhaps the mayo mix is a bit heavy. I don't know, I was sorta wanting to see reactions from the goons... It's definately heavy. But the tomato/basil/garlic flavor was there. You could probably cut the mayo in half and it would still be good.

yeah, pictures would have helped this post a lot.

still though, I don't understand what the cup of mayo is even doing for the dish, aside from maybe seasoning it? I'd 1.5x or double the tomatoes (depending on size), season a bit more, cut the cheese to maybe a cup at most (gruyere would be my first instinct), and drizzle olive oil over the top after assembled. no shame in using a premade pie crust, or anything else in the recipe.

edit : I've had great success making 'confited' tomatoes - basically just salting and peppering cherry tomatoes and slow cooking them at 250 for a couple hours. I'd probably do that seperately, then assemble the tart/pie, then just cook at high heat to melt the cheese and get bubbly. would just be an alternative to the salt and drain method, re: controlling moisture.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 27, 2014

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

I knew that it would be a bit trashy, but doing it by the recipe truly was tasty. It was just more calories and heavier than it neededt o be.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
It sounds like the mayo is an attemp to make it quiche-like?

simply stirring an egg and some milk or creme trough the cheese mixture will probably work as well

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

It's a trashy pie, I'll admit. It was also delicious, so there's that! I was appalled at the amount of mayo and cheese, but my mom was wanting to try it so who am I to argue?

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

The tomato basil combo really comes out in this pie, for real. We used fresh tomatoes from the jmarket and we used fresh basil. It had a really fresh taste except the mayo and cheese.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Mad_Lion posted:

It had a really fresh taste except the mayo and cheese.

I bet :-D

but yeah, if you really want to try something, then you just need to do that!

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

That kind of sounds revolting.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it
From googling "trashy tomato pie" this appears to be an artist's rendition

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ooooh, it's a Paula Deen recipe, right down to the "10 basil leaves." That explains a lot.

OP, next time try looking for recipes for "tomato tart," not pie. They tend to be better. For example: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/fresh-tomato-tart-recipe.html

Or, just make a quiche with a ton of fresh tomatoes. I love a quiche with bacon, cheese, caramelized onions and a thick layer of tomato slices right at the top. It can either be a quiche with some tomatoes, or load up that shell with tomatoes and think of the custard as what holds the tomatoes/basil/onions together.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Every time I try to make something with caramelized onions I end up eating them before I get the chance to use them.

I have a problem.

I tend to eat cheese before I get a chance to use it, as well. It's an issue.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Tomato pie is very misleading, I thought this thread was going to be about pizza. :shrug:
Tomato tart sounds delicious... but I think I would go for something without mayo in it.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Hard to beat tomato tart with oven-roasted tomatoes on a thin base of ricotta/egg custard, but hell I like tomatoes and cheese so much I'd probably eat a big piece of trash pie - Pilsbury crust actually puts me off more than the mayo though.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

mindphlux posted:

:psyduck: a cup of mayo??? on a baked tart? PLUS *two* cups of shredded cheese?

jesus lord almighty I can't even imagine you'd taste 4 tomatoes under all that, much less the difference between good tomatoes and bad tomatoes. or 10 leaves of basil.

I mean I'm all for tomato tarts, and I don't object to a little baked cheese, but.... jesus.

It's classy-trashy motherfucker deal with it.
It's like HoneyBooBoo hullabaloo up in this bitch, somebody gimme a slice of mayonnaise pie.

Agree with this guy up there though, Pilsbury crust crosses a line. I think my roommate made a Digiorno pizza the other day and I was eating it and I'm like, "Who the gently caress put maple syrup on this pizza?" Turns out they have a "bold new sauce" that is like 90% sugar.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
How does one dice basil leaves??

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Two Worlds posted:

Roll 'em up and chiffonade them, and then give it one or two chops across the other axis.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Two Worlds posted:

This is what Drifter is talking about : http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-chiffonade-fresh-basil-leaves-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-188971

Once you've done that you have a bunch of strips, so just turn the pile 90 degrees and run your knife across it a few times.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
This sounds like a special needs version of a caprese salad tart. OP get yourself the best tomatoes you can find. Beefsteak is good, brandy wine is good, any of the ugli tomatoes coming out from Florida is good. Whatever your favourite cultivars are, go get them. Get the best basil you can find. Find a batch of good mozzarella. If it comes pre grated or wrapped in plastic this is not good. Get the ones floating in waters.

Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella balls about 1 - 2 cm thick. Layer tomato, cheese, and leaves of basil into your fully baked tart shell. Top with a few drops of balsamic vinegar. Add a few drops of olive oil. Throw it under the broiler for 1 minute increments until it's slightly blackened. Let cool for a minute.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Drifter posted:

Roll 'em up and chiffonade them, and then give it one or two chops across the other axis.

Chemmy posted:

This is what Drifter is talking about : http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-chiffonade-fresh-basil-leaves-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-188971

Once you've done that you have a bunch of strips, so just turn the pile 90 degrees and run your knife across it a few times.
That's not a dice. A dice creates cubes, or blocks, not squares.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Maybe you should make smaller cuts.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Two Worlds posted:

That's not a dice. A dice creates cubes, or blocks, not squares.

Sorry about your autism.

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

Honestly, this would have been much tastier and much healthier with just some cheese and a drizzle of balsamic on top. The trashiness of the mayo mixed with the cheese was sinfully delicious, in the way that eating fast food is.

At least it was delicious summer tomatoes and basil lol.

Not trolling, but I kinda wanted to hear people's reactions.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

Sorry about your autism.

:sigh:

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

After that redneck tomato pie, I felt I needed to redeem myself a little. My brother and I were at my mom's house and we decided to make a Quiche (something about pies lately...). I don't have a pic, but here is the recipe:

9" pie crust (once again, we used pillsbury because gently caress it)
6 eggs (free-range! :))
1 cup half and half
1/2 teaspoon salt (and a tiny bit more)
cracked black pepper to taste
2 very large garlic cloves diced
1/2 onion, diced
5 or 6 mushrooms, diced
2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
one 8 oz. block of swiss cheese (or get fancier or mix cheeses, basically just 2 cups of shredded cheese)
1-2 tablespoons butter for sauteeing the veggies

Preheat the oven to 400 F
Whisk the eggs, half and half, salt and pepper together in a large mixing bowl
Sautee the diced onion, diced garlic, and diced mushrooms in the butter until soft.

Mix the shredded cheese, the choppped spinach, and the onion/mushroom mixture into the eggs/cream.
Pour this into the pie crust in your pie pan.

Put foil around the edge of the pan to prevent burning and bake for 40 minutes. Take the foil off and bake another 5 minutes.

We did the math and the entire quiche made this way is about 2400 calories, so 300 per 1/8th slice. No MAYO! lol

Mad_Lion fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 17, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
im loving these anecdotal recipes without pictures or much detail, this is great, I'm feeling great, wow this thread is great, GWS is truly great at this very moment

thank god you used free range eggs though because I'm sure this textual recipe would have been a failure with standard eggs

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

mindphlux posted:

im loving these anecdotal recipes without pictures or much detail, this is great, I'm feeling great, wow this thread is great, GWS is truly great at this very moment

thank god you used free range eggs though because I'm sure this textual recipe would have been a failure with standard eggs

lol

I hope this guy challenges you to a food duel like Tweek did to PopeCrunch.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Is this some meta ironic FYAD parachute account or something

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Why was the crust cooked for about 11 minutes? I'm not a cooking expert but that seems oddly specific.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

But Not Tonight posted:

lol

I hope this guy challenges you to a food duel like Tweek did to PopeCrunch.

or like mindphlux did to magnetic for the first gws callout thread, man that was crazy

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

chaos rhames posted:

Why was the crust cooked for about 11 minutes? I'm not a cooking expert but that seems oddly specific.
It makes the finished thing more classy and / or trashy

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

mindphlux posted:

or like mindphlux did to magnetic for the first gws callout thread, man that was crazy

To be honest, I missed that one and would like to see it if anyone has it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

But Not Tonight posted:

To be honest, I missed that one and would like to see it if anyone has it.

man I should really save these outside the forums. I found my one vs bartolimu, but that was pretty recent. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465868&pagenumber=47&perpage=40#post402679064

magnetic is probably in the archives or goldmine somewhere. it was 2010 or 2011 I think?

• Locked thread