Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Whether you’re in New Orleans for life, to attend a witch doctor convention or party at Jazz Fest, the question of where to eat tends to be a major preoccupation. It can be pretty daunting for outsiders, since there are a lot of nuances to the local food scene. Like, what’s the difference between Cajun and Creole cuisines, and why are they always grouped together? (Check out the awesome Cajun/Creole food thread for the answer to that one.) Are the many “institutions” of New Orleans, like Commander’s Palace and Mother’s, worth all the hype? Where the hell is the good Indian food?

I am but a simple New Orleans line cook (I’ll tell you where at over drinks sometime), but I’m definitely super opinionated about the places where I’m able to exchange my meager cash for awesome and affordable food and drink. I generally stay away from more tourist-driven places, but only because I hate waiting in lines. I’m lame.

Anyway, my personal favorites include:

Pagoda Cafe in the 7th Ward for great breakfast pastries and super chill deck action;
Norma’s Sweets Bakery in Mid-City for cheapcheapcheap pupusas, tamales, and Cuban sandwiches;
Manchu Food Store in the 7th Ward for the best chicken wings in the goddamned universe;
Pizza Delicious in the Bywater for traditional New York-style pizza pies and garlic knots;
Twelve Mile Limit in Mid-City for $6-$8 craft cocktails and their insane BBQ pork benedict;
Dong Phuong in New Orleans East for an incredible array of Vietnamese pastries, both savory and sweet.

There’s a lot to talk about, like awesome happy hour deals and places where you can actually get real Gulf shrimp. I’m sure natives, newcomers, and visitors alike have lots of opinions, so let’s hear ‘em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm going there this coming weekend, yay.

I visited two years ago and was sorely disappointed in the beignets at Cafe Du Monde, seeing that they were being made out of a box mix. Where would you recommend I get them instead?

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Steve Yun posted:

I'm going there this coming weekend, yay.

I visited two years ago and was sorely disappointed in the beignets at Cafe Du Monde, seeing that they were being made out of a box mix. Where would you recommend I get them instead?

Yeah, CDM is kind of nuts, though I grew up with their coffee so I do have a soft spot for them. I prefer the beignets at Morning Call, which has an outpost by the New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA) in City Park. The atmosphere is a lot better than the shitshow around the riverfront, too.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Oh cool, going to make a food trip there in the fall. I'm interested in amazing local food, price not really an issue. I'm at the google-John-Besh/go to Commander's Palace point but want better suggestions than that if you have any.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I'll go and add these couple of places

Verde Mart quiet simply one of the best places to get food in New Orleans for a decent price.

Dick and Jenny's An amazing place to eat, on Tchoupatoulas( that is totally not spelled right), just really good southern style food.

Dat Dog Really amazing hot dog place, get the crawfish dog w/ etouffe on it.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

physeter posted:

Oh cool, going to make a food trip there in the fall. I'm interested in amazing local food, price not really an issue. I'm at the google-John-Besh/go to Commander's Palace point but want better suggestions than that if you have any.

I find Commander's to be consistently good: they haven't changed their recipes much since they opened 135 years ago. Plus, their 50-cent martini deal at lunchtime is pretty sweet. Galatoire's and Arnaud's are similar, with traditional fine dining service and old-school Creole dishes. On the cheaper but no less iconic end, there's Willie Mae's Scotch House for fried chicken, too. If you're willing to make a road trip, Scott (Best Stop is a crowd favorite) or Broussard will net you some incredible cracklins and boudin sausage.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm being treated here tonight. What should I eat

http://www.pecherestaurant.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Peche-Menu-7-9-14.pdf

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Went to Peche and Butcher (Cochon), places owned by Donald Link who has a bunch of James Beardses.

Peche is fantastic. I got grilled wahoo with butter bean purée which was pretty good, but the real star at our table was the baked red drum. Okra with tomato sauce, fantastic. Fish sticks, probably the best fish sticks I've had in my life.

Butcher is also great, their muffaletta was incredibly flavorful, had my first head cheese on home made crackers, great. Peach cream soda, kinda bland.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 1, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Mothers was kind of a letdown. Soggy bread, just-okay meats, over-spiced soup.

I remember liking them two years ago, but I can't remember if the food was actually better or if my standards were lower then.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Steve Yun posted:

Mothers was kind of a letdown. Soggy bread, just-okay meats, over-spiced soup.

I remember liking them two years ago, but I can't remember if the food was actually better or if my standards were lower then.

Yeah, I have no idea why places like Mother's end up getting the amount of business that they do. It's just not... exceptional in any way.

By the way, August is a great month for cheap eating in New Orleans! Restaurants participating in the "Coolinary" program are offering "2-3 course lunch menus for $20 or less and 3 course dinner menus at $35 or less." Lots of pretty good restaurants in town are in on it, including Brightsen's, Patois, and Restaurant R'evolution.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It's been a couple years, but the most memorable experience I had in NOLA was at Coop's Place. Go during off hours, it's really tiny, but holy poo poo the food was good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Morning Call is pretty good, decent coffee, good crawfish bread, decent étouffée, good beignets, definitely better than CDM.

Also, you can't beat this view (new location in the city park)

I have to go to Grand Lux Cafe in Los Angeles this week to see who has the better beignets.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
I really like August and Revolucion for dinner, Green Goddess has amazing drinks and small plates, and Croquette is an awesome lunch place to stop for lunch in the Garden District.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's been a couple years, but the most memorable experience I had in NOLA was at Coop's Place. Go during off hours, it's really tiny, but holy poo poo the food was good.

I loving loved Coop's. Definitely a dingy, divy, joint, but really good. The supreme jambalaya was really good, and my gf and I got a sampler platter that was also great. I wish the bulldog was there :(

My other personal favorites would be Port of Call, Arnaud's, Rib Room, and Verti Mart. Verti Mart was great, poo poo.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

So I went to Lucky Rooster tonight with some friends and had a bunch of appetizers. I haven't had much of the Asian food in NOLA yet, since I usually cook enough of it at home, and I really wanted to be surprised. It was so, so terrible! We were shocked at how bad it was. I've had great Viet food in the burbs, but is there any good Chinese food around here?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Muriel's deserves its reputation, I think. I didn't go this trip, but two years ago I had some fantastic pecan-encrusted puppy drum there. I have relatively dull taste buds, and it's not often that cooked fish can get my palate's attention like that.

Also, a wonderful cucumber martini which I tried and failed to replicate at home.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 12, 2014

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.

Tender Child Loins posted:

So I went to Lucky Rooster tonight with some friends and had a bunch of appetizers. I haven't had much of the Asian food in NOLA yet, since I usually cook enough of it at home, and I really wanted to be surprised. It was so, so terrible! We were shocked at how bad it was. I've had great Viet food in the burbs, but is there any good Chinese food around here?

Sorry to say that the Chinese around here suuuuuuuucks — even 5 Happiness, which is consistently lauded as the best, is just beyond awful. China Orchid in that strip mall on Carrollton is borderline-okay for when you need some admittedly-crappy-but-kind-of-satisfying syrupy greasy mall Chinese, and I've heard good things about Jung's Golden Dragon on Magazine, but generally I think you're pretty much SOL. But I'd love to be proven wrong...

THE MACHO MAN posted:

My other personal favorites would be Port of Call, Arnaud's, Rib Room, and Verti Mart. Verti Mart was great, poo poo.

This man speaks the truth. Verti Mart is the shining beacon of light in a part of the Quarter that's littered with cheap crappy hamburgers, empty go-cups and tourist barf. All That Jazz, extra sauce. That poo poo will put some hair on your chest, a hurt on your hangover and a smile on your face.

I have thoughts and opinions on the more fine-dining end of things (TLDR: Gautreau's, always and forever) but those will have to wait until work lets up. :(

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Hecuba posted:

Sorry to say that the Chinese around here suuuuuuuucks — even 5 Happiness, which is consistently lauded as the best, is just beyond awful. China Orchid in that strip mall on Carrollton is borderline-okay for when you need some admittedly-crappy-but-kind-of-satisfying syrupy greasy mall Chinese, and I've heard good things about Jung's Golden Dragon on Magazine, but generally I think you're pretty much SOL. But I'd love to be proven wrong...

Jung's is loving delicious and I highly recommend it. Also, if you're willing to make the drive, Cafe East over in Metairie has some great pan-Asian cuisine.

HarryHarry
Sep 4, 2014

Harry, Harry, quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells, and cockle shells,
And pretty maids all in a row.
Here are some of my recommendations for the French Quarter.

Pelican Club is great for higher end dining. I don't like the ambiance so much but food makes it worth it.

Eat has bring your own wine with no corkage fee and their whole menu is a win. The chicken and dumplings are my favorite.

Irenes menu looks boring but I really like it there.

Moon Wok has great Vietnamese. I would avoid their Chinese options.

If you have blown your budget and an All That Jazz from Verti Marte is too rich for your blood, I recommend ordering the french fry po boy with mayo, pickles, and a side of gravy for under 5 bucks. The bread pudding there is also great!

Mona's on Frenchmen is good for light and fresh Lebanese food.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

So I had a loving BONE luge with Herbsaint at Meauxbar this week. You order the escargot with bone marrow, and for $3 extra you can hold the bone over your mouth while a server pours a hefty shot of Herbsaint into it. The result is this really nice buttery flavor that works well with the anise flavor of the Herbsaint. It's so weird but worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Some friends are doing the roadtrip thing and going through NO. When I was there I stayed with friends, so I have no clue what to recommend for accomodations, anyone have something here?

Dane fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 7, 2014

• Locked thread