Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astus
Nov 11, 2008

A few months ago, Lyos was a peaceful world, with a focus on agriculture and brewing. While they didn't have much in terms of wealth, the people of Lyos took care of their own. They had no way of forcing their own people to do anything, and no soldiers in any sense of the word, but they had no enemies either. In short, it was a dreadfully boring world that most people did not care about in the least.

But then the brigands came, or at least that's what they were assumed to be. At first they would steal food and supplies from isolated farming villages at night, but recently they have moved up to outright burning villages and slaughtering those who stand in their way. Rumors abound of some long-lost secret the brigands are hunting for, but no one knows for sure what it is yet. What is known, however, is that a creature the locals have named the Behemoth stalks the land, adding to the already sizable carnage. What the people of Lyos need now is a Hero, preferably more than one.

The call was sent out, and the rumors of the Behemoth spread like wildfire across the known worlds, attracting young Heroes who wished to prove their mettle. Such as the five of you, aboard the "Get Rich or Die Kraken", a ship owned by a Zintar Hero named Kaimachus. As the Get Rich or Die Kraken passes through the upper atmosphere of Lyos and prepares to land in the harbor, the five of you can see distant plumes of smoke, presumably from burning villages. You also notice there are quite a few other ships already in the harbor, as it seems you weren't the only ones to answer the call.

Indeed, by the time you arrive there is already a celebration in what passes for a planetary capital on this world, as the people of Lyos provide a lavish feast for all the Heroes. Looking around, you think there are about fifty men who claim that they will be the ones to slay the Behemoth and drive off the brigands. Most of them appear to be ordinary men rather than true Heroes, however. Suddenly the crowd notices your arrival and pushes the five of you towards a large stage, eager to hear your own boasts about past triumphs. Seeing as how there's no way to deny such a request without losing face among the "Heroes" who came before you, it looks like you have no choice but to brag as you've never bragged before.

Welcome to Lyos, enjoy the party before you die horrible, horrible deaths! Alright, so you guys will probably be fine, but I'm going to go ahead and say don't get attached to the other fifty guys, they won't be lasting long. For right now, please post your sheet in your first post and try to think of a way to showboat to the crowd. This is both a way to introduce your character and anything notable they've already done, as well as a way to earn a bit of Glory. Just 2 points, and this is a one time thing (you don't normally get Glory for bragging), but don't let that stop you from going hog wild.

This is also the tutorial on how to do skill checks, Simply roll a d20 and add your Attribute+Skill, minus the Degree of Difficulty (DoD). Getting a final result of 6 or higher means you at least partially succeed. In this case, the people really want to believe any claims you make and are really into any stunts you do, so the DoD is only -2. Use any skill or attribute you want for this, as you could tell a story about your greatest (so far) triumph, or demonstrate you skill with a sword, or whatever you want to do. You can use either Invisible Castle or Orokos for the roll, or you can ask me to roll for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
This post will be used for stuff.

For example, here are the Metousia stats for Lyos. No need to worry about them too much yet, however.

Civilization: +2 Security: -3
Affluence: -2 Religion: +2
Order: -4 Quality of Life: +0

Government: Timocracy

Industry: +0 (Agriculture)
Prosperity: +2
War: -3

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Xenophon the Grappler

Seeing the crowd of eager faces, Xenophon is loathe to let them down. He nods to the other Heroes he met on Kaimachus' ship. "If you don't mind, I'll go first!" With a bound, he lands on top of the makeshift stage, his hamartion marking him out as a wealthy man, and also showing off his muscled physique. Lifting his arms in welcome, Xenophon's voice booms over the locals' talk and the boasts of lesser men.

"Hail, men of Lyos! I am Xenophon, son of Isocrates, King of Pylos! I see the fear in your eyes, and I know your need is great. Thus I have come! 'What has Xenophon done?' you may ask?" He holds out his hand, and from the crowd the conspicuous motorbike starts up. A compartment opens, and with the sound of rushing air an item is sent flying towards Xenophon. With practiced ease he plucks it from the sky, and unfolds it, showing the locals his armor of Hydra-hide. "With the Goregons themselves I hunted the Lernaean Hydra. A massive beast, with claws that can tear through armor, and jaws that can rip a man in half with a single bite! Myself and three Goregons hunted a foul member of that group for 4 days, without rest and without stop. At the end, we cornered the creature in a ravine, the rocky walls of which were too steep for man or beast to climb. But know! A cornered beast fights stronger, for it has no other option besides death! Two of my fellow hunters were killed, and the third wounded almost to death. I had tried many of my favorite techniques for fighting," Xenophon says as he shows them off, kicking and punching at imaginary foes, "but to little avail. The many mouths of the Hydra had hurt me, but I defied death! When it opened its mighty jaws to feast on me, I planted my foot on its lower jaw, and took its upper jaw in my hands!" Xenophon mimics the action, his muscles bulging with imaginary strain. "And with a mighty roar, I broke the creature's jaw!" On the stage, Xenophon lets out a hefty bellow as his arms push up.

"After seeing to the dead, I returned to the nearest Goregon outpost with my surviving companion, and dragging along the corpse of my conquest. I now wear its skin as armor, though some traces of the Hydra's poison remains inside it!" He laughs heartily. "Be at peace, men of Lyos, for Xenophon has come to conquer your beasts!"

Jumping off the stage, the bike moves by itself to come to Xenophon. "So, how do you think I did?" the man asks the machine, a strange sight for anyone paying attention. A small strip of red lights turns on back and forth as a metallic voice says "Over the top as always, Xenophon. I think they're impressed, though." Xenophon laughs and pats the bike's handlebar, before leaning on the seat and watching the next Hero make his mark!

show off (Pankration + CR +2): 1d20+16 23
Heck yeeeaaaaah

pre:
Name: Xenophon
Epithet: The Grappler (Pankration)
Race: Spartan Hellene
God: Apollon

Profession: Hoplite
Destiny: Undo the curse laid on my family by the ancient and terrible witches of Colchis
Fate: Fated to be killed by lover
Money: [3000 dm -370-2538] = 92 dm

Disadvantages:
Relationship 2 - Xenophon's Family requires his aid to lift their curse.
External 1 - Framed for Murder by his old commanding officer, Strategos Laches.
Internal 2 - Overconfident

Ambitions: 
Find the planet of Hysiae, famed for its philosophers and sorcerers that disappeared a century ago.
Slay the Pirate Lord Gryllus, who falsely claims sovereignty over the colony worlds of Byzantion.
Discover the truth of the rumors of the existence of the barbarian Ardiaei people, said to live beyond known space

INT: +0
PER: +0
WIL: +0
CHA: +1
STR: +5
DEX: +1
CON: +2
SPD: +0
CR : +5
DYN: -2

HP: 22
Glory: 16
Hero Points: 7/7

Skills:
Athletics +2
Command +2
Etiquette (Hellene) +7
Speak Language (Hellene, Native)
Speak Language (Zintar, Basic) +3
Evade +6
Instinct +2
Intimidate +2
Pankration +9 [DR4+STR]
Parry +6
Weapon (melee) +6
Weapon (thrown)+9
Weapon (heavy) +2

Talents:
Advanced Militia Training: The Hero may double his STR (minimum of +2) 
when determining armor penalties because of weight.
Brutal Throw: After making a successful grapple attack, the character may 
throw his opponent as normal but this throw has a chance of stunning 
the thrown opponent. The individual thrown must succeed in a CON roll
with a DoD equal to the thrower’s STR or be stunned and
unable to act or defend himself for rounds equal to the thrower’s STR+3.
Wealthy: 10 times starting money at start. During the game, the Hero may
request additional funds from his source of wealth (family, business, treasure trove, etc.)
To do so, the Hero makes CHA roll with a DoD-1 per 500dm.
If successful, the Hero receives the requested funds between 1 and 48 hours later.
A partial success means liquid cash is tight and he receives only half the request.
The Hero may ask for another advance in a number of weeks equal to 4 + the previous wealth diffculty.

Abilities:
Leadership Ability: Bonus to Command and Diplomacy rolls equal to twice your CHA [+2].
Tyche: Being the favored of the Gods Hellenes are allowed in a small way to enforce their personal
will upon the universe. They can force a re-roll of any dice action that affects them directly a number
of times a game session equal to their WILL (minimum once per game). The roll need not be made by
the Hero and may affect rolls made by the GM or other players when it pertains to the character. The
re-roll only affects the Hero and may not manipulate fate for the benefit of others.

Divine Abilities:
Golden Tongue
The Hero is incredibly charming and well loved. +2 on
all social interaction rolls where the Hero is allowed to speak,
particularly in the presence of a crowd.

Gear:
Medium Cuirass armor (Hoplite Mesh), Hoplon shield, 
Spartan infantry spear, Hoplite assault carbine, military clothing,
Lernaean Hydra armor (Medium Full Suit, 7 PR, +2 STR),
Exceptional Dragon skin cloak (PR 4, stacks w/ Armor)
Cestus (+3 DR, 140 dm),
Chakram (5 DR, 20 m, 80 dm. -2 attack to boomerang)
Noble Doric chiton (+4 skill bonus, 30 dm),
Noble Hamartion (+4 skill bonus, 120 dm).

Customization: 30/30
CR +1 [5]
Brutal Throw [5]
STR +3 [15]
Pankration +5 [5]

Life Path:
Born the month of Skirophorion, Year’s End
Planet: Pylos
Parents: King and Queen
Family Status: Cursed
Siblings:
Twin Brother - Sibling is a competitive rival but loves you.
Older Sister - share a mutual love for one another
Older Brother - You dislike them
Younger Sister - Sibling admires you and follows you wherever you go

Special Gift: A Dragon skin cloak
Divine Heritage: Great-Great-Grandparent on father’s side had a divine parent Gain 2 Glory
Divine Mark: Beloved by all (+1 CHA that can take character beyond racial maximum)
Childhood Event: Mentored by a great Hero of a different race as a child.

Callings:
First: Warrior. Wrestled a planetary champion at a local bar and
won! Gain +5 Glory and +1 in Pankration. 2 years.
Second: Warrior. While on the Goregon home world you joined
the annual Lernaean Hydra hunt. You delivered
the killing blow and took the beast's hide as your
prize. +2 Glory and gain Lernaean Hydra armor. 3 years.
Third: Warrior. Fought pirates on the planet Elis. During the
melee you threw a spear through ten men… or at
least that’s how the story goes. Gain +1 in [CON]. 2 years.

Vehicle
Bucephalus the Mechanican Motorbike

Motorcycle (large, high performance)
Type: Wheeled land vehicle
MAN +1 Hul +0 CW 1
Sen - SPD +70 PAS 1
ACl +10 DCl +5 CAR 25kg
HP 10 SIZ 1 SUP 1wk
Armament: none
Shields: none
Modifications/ notes: none
Cost: 1,463dm
Additional Hard Points: 3

WITH

Servitor Machina 575dm+100+400
InT Per WIl CHA STr DeX Con SPD Cr DYn
+0  +0  +0   -5  +1  +2  +0  +0 -5 -10
Skills:
Drive +3[+4], Speak Languages +6, Lore (Local) +3
Hit Points 20
Equipment: Basic tools

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Aranphaon

Aranphaon hears Xenophon's boasting and then steps forward. The wrestler will be a difficult man to upstage. "Oh, people of Lyos, hear me! I am Aranphaon the Aoidos, and my words can charm even the gods themselves! I studied my craft under the Philosopher Cleon, of whom I am certain you have all heard, who taught me both poetry and logic. After I learned what I could from him, I traveled to the planet Mycos, where it had not rained for a month. The crops were wilting in the fields, the people starving. So I sang to the clouds, reproaching them for their miserliness, and shamed them until it began to rain. If I can move the clouds themselves to pity, surely I can do the same with some bandits. If that is not sufficient, though, then it will come down to spear or sword or club, and indeed, I have wielded those against bandits before also. It was in the swamps of Trakhis. I was travelling the road through the swamps, when a bandit band came upon me. Weaponless, and outnumbered seven to one, I grabbed a branch that had fallen from a nearby tree, and those bandits now lie under the mud of the swamp, and no longer live to harass innocent travelers. I will defeat the bandits and the beast and bring you justice!"

pre:
Name: Aranphaon
Epithet: Sharp Tongued
Race: Myrmidon
God: Apollon

Profession: Aoidos
Destiny: Reclaim the throne of the Planet Thassos, home of my ancestors, now lost to the Zoran, and rule it as king
Fate: Is it for a man to know his own fate?  Beware, great Aranphaon!  You are in the hands of the Gods, and seeking to know
your fate will not bring you pleasure.  But, if you would know, seek wise Astus. the reader of Destiny, for he knows the 
manner and form of your death.
Money: 600 base

Disadvantages:

Relationship   Level 1           Senator Kallias of Pherai, who grew to hate Aranphaon after the he blamed Aranphaon for the
                                 death of his wife.  He seeks Aranphaon's death, hoping to work with others to bring it about.

External       Level 3           Aranphaon is remembered as the son of the traitor Megalion, the Myrmidon noble who betrayed
                                 the planet Thassos to the Zorans.  While a son is not responsible for the deeds of his
                                 father, those who know Aranphaon's heritage may distrust him.  Is the son as untrustworthy
                                  as his father?

Relationship   Level 1           Aranphaon loves Amricyta, his former betrothed, but she will have nothing to do with him any
                                 longer.

Ambitions:

1.  Prove that my my father was framed for the betrayal of Thassos by the Hellene General Zeno, the true traitor, who rules 
    Thassos for the Zoran to this day.

2.  Woo and wed the noble maiden Amricyta, daughter of Timon, who was my bethrothed until the fall of Thassos

INT: +1
WIL: +0
CHA: +2
STR: +0
DEX: +4
SPD: +2
CR : +0
DYN: -2

HP: 20
Glory: 4
Hero Points: 9

Skills: Athletics +3, Etiquette (Myrmidon) +7, Evade +5, Instinct +2 Speak Language (Myrmidon, Native), 
Speak Language (Any, Basic) Stealth +2, Etiquette +3, Deception +4, Handicraft (Fine Arts) +5, Lore (Folklore) +3, 
Perform +8, Research +2, Lore (Theology) +4, Profession (Aidios, CHA) +10, Weapon (Melee) +6, Influence +5

Talents: Aura of Wisdom, Well Traveled, Expert Performer, Taunt

Abilities:

Regeneration:  Being a large colony of individual insects, it is very hard to kill a Myrmidon. A body can be annihilated, 
but if the queen lives the Myrmidon will eventually replace the body and live on. As long as the queen remains, a
Myrmidon can regenerate lost limbs by shifting other areas of the colony to replace the sisters that were lost there. 
A Myrmidon heals at double the normal healing rate. If the queen is killed, the other members of the colony scatter 
mindlessly and eventually die, unless they are lucky enough to find other Myrmidons in the area that they can join with
(assuming they are welcomed)

Shapeshift:  A Myrmidon can alter the shape of its body to fit into areas that a normal being could not. By compressing 
or thinning an area, a Myrmidon can creep under doors and through cracks. This ability also allows a Myrmidon to add 
extra limbs (one additional for each CON point, minimum of one extra). Each additional limb may be used but causes a 
multiple action penalty (among other uses this allows the Myrmidon to hold a two-handed weapon and use a shield at the 
same time). In combat the Myrmidon can alter its body to attack an opponent, slipping through openings in their armor 
to attack from within. In combat the Hero must first make a successful grappling attack. Once the Myrmidon has a grip 
on its opponent, it may spend additional actions covering and biting with its myriad small pincers. As long as the 
opponent is held in a grapple the Myrmidon colony may attack in this way, doing their CON in bonus damage.

Homunculus:  Myrmidons may attempt to break off a part of their “colony” to do work remotely, creating a small 
Hellene-shaped swarm and sending it on a task. The Homunculus starts with 0 skills and -1 in all Attributes, 
and a minimum of 5 Hit Points must be spent to create it. For each 5 HP spent, the player can add 1 Attribute  
point or 5 skill points, chosen from among the skills the Myrmidon knows. The  player can opt to spend as many 
as all the Hero’s Hit Points except 1 HP, which must be reserved for the queen herself. The player must make 
a WIL roll normal DoD-2 to create the body. If the roll fails nothing happens. If successful, the body splits; 
the Homunculus leaves behind all armor and equipment the Myrmidon was carrying and is now more flexible, able 
to slip through cracks, under doors, etc., but cohesive enough to perform physical tasks. As the Homunculus 
does not possess a queen, it can only be given a single, specific task that may involve only one skill that 
the Hero possesses (e.g., open a door, retrieve an object, pull a lever, enter a code, etc.)  Creating a 
Homunculus strains the queen’s ability to keep cohesion and control, and so the Hero must make a WIL roll 
DoD-1 (cumulative) for each minute the Homunculus is away. If in a stressful situation (combat), the 
Myrmidon must roll his Concentration skill every round. If a roll is failed while the Homunculus is abroad, 
the swarm loses cohesion and falls apart, scattering in all directions. Half of the Homunculus’ HP will be 
recovered from returning colony members in minutes equal to the time spent away from the queen. If the 
Homunculus is destroyed during his errand, the HP are lost and must be regenerated normally.

Clustering:  Several Myrmidons can act together, clustering to form larger structures such as bridges across 
rifts, armor, or even airtight crafts that can move through space or under water, protecting those within. 
An adequate number of Myrmidons must  be sacrificed to create the structure (e.g., two colonies could form 
a raft; several hundred would be required to form a spacecraft), with the remaining queens huddling together 
in the remaining “live” colony until such time as more living Myrmidons can be found to replace the lost 
colonies. Large asteroid-like clusters of this sort are believed to allow the Myrmidons to colonize other 
planets, with the outer shells of dead Myrmidons protecting the living queens inside through the cold of 
space, the heat of re-entry, and the shock of crashing onto a new planet. After touchdown, the shell breaks 
open and the living Myrmidons inside spill forth to colonize a new world

Omni Vision:  Because hundreds of thousands of tiny insects make up the body of one Myrmidon, they may see 
in all directions as long as it is unobstructed by clothing. Seeing in all directions does not distract 
the Myrmidon and it may function and  perceive normally.

Money: 145dm

Gear: Doric Chiton and Hitmation of Noble Quality, Diadalos Hand Comp full of classical material, musical instrument, 
1st age shield belt, Hoplite Infantry Xiphos, Hoplite shield

Life Path:

Born in Metageitnion on Delos
Parents:  Orphaned and raised by Hive Community
Parents Social Status: Great Warrior (+1 any Fighting Skill)
Hive Status:  Hive is in decline because of machinations of a rival queen
Seventeen siblings, 8 older, 9 younger
Relationships with Siblings
Sibling 1:  They hate me
2.  Our adoration is mutual
3. I adore them
4. They're neutral towards me
5. I hate them
6. We're neutral towards each other
7. Our hatred is mutual
8. Our hatred is mutual
9. Our hatred is mutual
10. Our hatred is mutual
11. Our hatred is mutual
12. Our Hatred is mutual
13. I'm neutral towards them
14  I hate them
15. They adore me
16. Our adoration is mutual
17. They're neutral towards me

Special Gift:  1st Age Shield Belt
Divine Heritage:  Great, Great Grandparent on Mother's side had divine parent (+2 Glory)
Divine Mark: Eyes of Athenia (Aura of Wisdom Talent)
Childhood Encounter: Your hive was used as a patsy by a deceitful Hellene noble.  The intrigue ruined the name of your 
family and the king benefits from the great lie.
Callings:

Sailor: Relationship, Create a close friendship with a priest, as friendly to me as I am to them, aged 2 years
Priest: Scholarly pursuits, studied with a Nephelai Philosopher and learned his secrets, aged 2 years
Scholar: Relationship, Create a close friendship with a noble, secretly in love with me and would die for me, Aged 3 years
Noble: Enemy, a senator, aged 1 year

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 24, 2014

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Kaimachus

A Zintar wearing a golden-red tall bipedal carapace that makes him appear as tall as your average Hellene, roars up. His skin rippling between red and purple.

"By the Twelve, I've not heard such bold claims to fame since I left the nursery pools. Hear me and hear me well! I am Kaimachus, Master of noble house of Sepiida, Slayer of the Harpy Queen Celano, Student of Wisdoms of Asclepiodotus, and the owner of the fastest ship this side of Korinthos Rift, the "Get Rich or Die Kraken!" boasts Kaimachus, his carapace projecting all of his honours on the nearby wall for everyone to see.

pre:
Name: 		Kaimachus
Epithet: 	the full-mast
Race:		Zintar
God:		Hoseidon

Profession: 	Zintar Kybernetes
Destiny: 	Become the true King of all Zintar and modernize the Zintar culture.
Fate: 		Killed by father
Money:		450dm

Disadvantages:
Relationship,	3, 	Kaimachus was approached by Athenia the Seer in disguise, he rejected her advances by saying he loves another. 
			The goddess of truth she was even more insulted by the lie.

Internal,	1, 	Self-doubt. Kaimachus is unsure if he can reach his promised destiny and if he actually measures up to it.

External,	1, 	The layout of Zintar culture means that its constantly reshaping itself. Few very unlucky political marriages between his 
			family's rivals and the death of the previous family head have seen the Kaimachus' family fall far from favor. 

Ambitions:
Find the lost jewel of Kephalopoda, the symbol of ruler

Rally other reformist Zintar under my banner and overthrow the traditionalist regime lead by the Architeuthida family.

INT: +3
PER: +1
WIL: +2
CHA: +0
STR: +1
DEX: +4
CON: +0
SPD: +1
DYN: +0

Glory: 5
Hero Points: 5/5

Skills:
Computers (Equipment) +2, 
Computers (Ship Systems) +5,
Drive +3
Disable Mechanism +2, 
Etiquette (Zintar) +7, 
Engineering (Structural) +2, 
Lore (Region) +2
Navigate +3, 
Pilot (Transport) +12, 
Pilot (Capital) +5
Pilot (Everything else) +2
Speak Language (Zintar, Native), 
Speak Language (Atlantean, Basic) +3,
Speak Language (Hellene, Basic) +3 
Weapon (Guns) +2
Weapons (Vehicle Weapons) +1, 
Profession (Kybernetes, DEX) +10

Talents:
Aura of Wisdom, The Hero adds triple his INT (minimum of +3) to CHA when determining Reaction Rolls
Tech Savvy,  The Hero receives triple his PER (minimum of  +3) to rolls when they relate to understanding or using 
technological devices This bonus is not applicable in combat  situations

Abilities:
Aquatic Movement (Speed -1 dry land, +5 in water & slipspace if outside carapace)
Camouflage (bonus equal to twice their CON (minimum of +2) to any type of Hide skill check when out of their carapace and hiding)
Enhanced Sense of Sight and Touch (reduce the range of any sight-based penalties by 10m / if tentacles outside  
carapace, a bonus equal to twice his PER (minimum of +2) to tactile sensory-based Perception checks)
Technophile (+2 bonus to any tech-related skill checks)
Vehicle interface (+2 when piloting or driving a vehicle that is outfitted with a Zintar Interface Pod)

HP		DeX		STr		SPD		Pr		HrP
25		User		User		+0		2		6
Accessories: One pair of worker hands, Flight system SPD+2, One-day sealed systems

Divine Powers:

Know the Truth
The Hero may look upon the face of a being and 
know if they are telling the truth or not. The Hero rolls her PER with a DoD equal to the target’s WIL+2 
The Hero may use this ability 1+WIL times a day

Know the Sea
The sailor knows the ebb and flow of the seas of the world, hazards of the vacuum, and the tides of 
Slipspace The Hero receives a one time bonus of +4 to either their Piloting or Navigation skill, player’s choice

Gear:
Exceptional Boots
Zintar interface ring, 
Enviro suit, 
Spacer carapace

Customization Points: 30/30
+1 Str 5
+1 Str 5
+1 Spd 5
+1 Spd 5
+1 Dex 5
+1 Dex 5

Life Path:
Month of Birth: Mounichion, Aemoton
Planet of Birth: Delphoi     
Parents: Mother dead
Parents' Social Station: Priest,  1 random zero-Glory divine gift
Family Status: Family power is in decline because of machinations of a rival
Siblings: None.

Special Gift: Boots   
Divine Heritage: Grandparent on mother’s side was the offspring of a God/Goddess, Gain 5 Glory
Divine Mark: Eyes of Athenia, Aura of Wisdom Talent
Childhood Event: Helped an old hermit on the side of the road He blessed you and called you a future king. You never saw this person again

Callings:
First	-	Sailor, Battle: Killed Celaeno, a Harpy queen, during a Slipspace battle in the Aegean Solar Sea, 
		Gain +5 Glory. Aged 4 years.

Second 	-	Legion of Delphoi, Scholarly Pursuit: Studied at the feet of a great Nephelai philosopher and learned the secrets of the mind, 
		+1 DYN, age 4 years.

Third	-	Noble, Enemy: Turned down a God's offer of job or romantic/sexual involvement, They want you dead, age 2 years. 
Pilot (Transport) 1d20+4+10-2: 26 [1d20=14]

Sormus fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 30, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Pierdnięcie

Waiting until near the very last, the Nephelai throws back his misty hair and strides forward with confidence, grinning from ear to ear. He draws from his belt a single rod of silver and holds it on high, the item bursting with power and transforming into a crackling, ever-moving bolt of lightning in his very hands. He speaks with a boisterous, bellowing voice.

"I am King Pierdnięcie the Electric of Stymphalos, Champion of Heus! I have been gifted with five bolts crafted by the very smith of the gods himself for the Almighty Heus, and deemed worthy to wield his power within this mortal plane to further glorify the Father of All!" He lowers his arm to shoulder level, still extended, and motions out over the crowd with his fist, trails of electricity coming from between his fingers.

"Like my parents before me, I am a Legionnaire of Delphoi! I have driven into the very depths of the afterlife to recover my lost love, and have faced Hadon himself for the soul of my beloved!" He thrusts the bolt back into his belt, where it returns to being a silver rod, and strides forward, his hands raised. "By Heus Almighty, the Behemoth shall be felled, and I shall find my destiny with the Seer Keraun!" He thrusts his fists into the sky with a roll of thunder, his hair falling about his face. He breathes heavily, his face manic with pride.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4593315/ Dynamism 6 + Attack Mode 10 + Righteous Authority +6 - 2. If RA doesn't apply, I'm at 24 instead, which is still good.

Name: Pierdnięcie
Epithet: The Electric [Attack Mode]
Race: Nephelai
God: Heuson

Profession: Nephelai Seer
Destiny: Survive the Seven Trials of Thunder, set forth by Heusian himself.
Fate: Kill the love of his life and be killed by his lover
Money: 350dm

Disadvantages:
Relationship - Level 3 - Wiatr; former lover who was killed in an accident, and retrieved from Hadon. Now plots revenge for being dead for over a year and losing everything.
Internal - Level 2 - Pride. Comes from a long line of heroes and princes; thinks way too much of self.
Internal - Level 1 - Weak of body. In exchange for the might of the heavens, he is weak of physicality.

Ambitions:
Gain favor with Heusian by surviving the Heart of Thunder on Lyon, so he may recgonize me as a potential champion.
Seek out Keraun, Seer of Heus, and earn a vision of the first Trial of Thunder.
Defeat the challenge that awaits me within the first trial; I know not what Heus will have me face, but his own weapons will not work on whatever I may face.

INT: +4
PER: +3
WIL: +4
CHA: +5
STR: -5
DEX: -5
DYN: +6

HP: 28/28
Glory: 62
Hero Points: 15/15

Skills:
Mode (Attack) +10
Deduce Motive +1
Deception +2
Investigate/Search +2
Lore (The Gods) +6
Mode (Sensory) +10
Perform +4
Science (Theology) +5
Profession (Seer, PER) +10
Weapon (Thrown) +5

Talents:
Aura of Wisdom

Abilities:
Flight:
The Nephelai are able to use the natural air currents of their surroundings for limited flight. They may fly at SPD+10, or up to the speed of the wind in the area, provided they are flying in the direction of the wind. They may move directly into the wind by tacking, but do so at their normal SPD.

Intangibility:
Nephelai can change their density for a period of time, becoming wraithlike. The change takes one full round to complete and while in this state they cannot harm or be harmed physically (although Dynamism and sound attacks work normally). Items worn or carried by the Nephelai fall from the body and are not brought into the intangible state, leaving the Nepehlai naked. They may stay in this state for rounds equal to triple their WIL (minimum of 3 rounds). This feat may be done a number of times a day equal to their CON (minimum of once). Returning to normal happens instantly at the end of the round and requires no action.

Sound Manipulation:
A Nephelai can hear a whisper carried on the wind or send a message hundreds of miles on a breath of air. Nephelai may make sound-based perception checks with double PER (minimum +2). Nephelai may send a sound-based message over the air directly to their targets’ ear with a whisper at a range of 100 meters per rating of WIL (minimum of 100m).

Surviving in a Vacuum
A Nephelai may survive in vacuum by cannibalizing their bodies. A Nephelai may survive for one round per Hit Point spent. A Hero may do this for half his Hit Points before needing to make a normal CON roll for resisting he effects of a vacuum.

Righteous Authority
The Hero has an air of authority and leadership about them. When speaking to a group and issuing commands, the Hero receives a bonus of +2 and an additional +2 for every 30 Glory

Thunder
The Hero may create a burst of thunderous sound by spending an action in concentration. The sound starts as a low rumble in the chest of the Hero and issues forth with a loud roar from his mouth. The blast of thunder affects everyone in a radius equal to twice the Hero’s CHA Attribute in meters (minimum of 2m). Those within the area of effect must make a Resolve skill roll versus a DoD equal to the Hero’s CHA+2 or be stunned for combat rounds equal to the Hero’s CHA Attribute. The Hero may do this a number of times equal to his CON Attribute.

The Appetite of Heuson
The lord of the gods has insatiable appetites for beings of great beauty. To be worthy of the Hero’s passion, the being must have the
Enchanting Beauty talent and be someone the Hero might normally be attracted to (the Hero will not be attracted to the same gender if he is not inclined to). When the Hero is aroused to take part in something, he goes to the extremes and will not stop until his appetites are sated (Resolve skill roll DoD-3 plus one additional point for every 50 Glory beyond 50) The Hero will stop at almost nothing to bed the person and will use every resource at his disposal to accomplish the task. There is sometimes a product of the union no matter the being’s gender (the Hero must roll a CON roll DoD of -8). Any children will have some characteristic of the Hero and be favored by the gods, who will bestow some sort of gift upon them.

Bolts of Justice
The Hero is granted the use of Heuson’s greatest weapons — his bolts of lightning! The Hero is entrusted with a number of lightning bolts equal to his CHA Attribute (minimum of one). The bolts are small and unassuming silver cylinders, but when activated transform into blue-white bolts of dancing electricity. The bolts of lightning are thrown using the Weapon (Thrown) skill and strike for 10x CHA Attribute damage (minimum of 10 DR). The range for these bolts is equal to the Hero’s CHA in kilometers. Once all the bolts are used, the Hero must plead with Heuson at his sacred temple moon for more (DoD-6) and spend large amounts of drachmas in sacrifices. Note that this ability disregards the scale modifiers for normal attacks and may be used against a man-sized form or a capital ship with the same results.

Gear:
Diadalos hand comp
off-the-rack chiton and chlamys
small holy symbol
sacred scrolls
pine air freshener

Life Path:
Month of Birth: Maimakterion
Planet of Birth: Stymphalos
Parents: Parents dead and raised by relative
Parents' Social Station: Delphoi Legion
Family Status: Family is revered and guarded by the community
Siblings: One younger sibling
Relationship with sibling: You dislike them

Special Gift: Parent’s chiton clasp
Divine Heritage: Both parents have divine blood from their parents
Divine Mark: The God’s Sigil Upon his Person (+10 Glory and roll again); Larger than Normal. Double CON to determine Hit Points
Childhood Event: Met a ghost that told you of your tragic fate.

Callings:
First - Legionnare of Delphoi: Served as a planetary guardian on a foreign world. Gain +20 Glory. Age five years.
Second - Noble: Become the ruler of your birth planet! Aged one year.
Third - Priest: Traveled to the underworld and begged Hadon for the soul of a loved one. The dark god took pity on you and your gloomy story, and allowed you to leave with the loved one. Gain +10 Glory. Aged two years.
Fourth - Scholar: Solved a math equation that unlocked the untapped recesses of the mind. Gain +1 DYN. Aged three years.
Fifth - Legionnare of Delphoi: Played a game of chance with what you believed was a Titan and won. Gain +5 Glory and +1 in WIL

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 4, 2014

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Heroes' Celebration in Lyos

One after another, you all tell tales and boast of deeds that put all the other so-called "heroes" to shame, and the crowd absolutely loves you. The same is not true for the warriors who had arrived first, and you think one of them even started to cry when he realized he couldn't compete, but that's no concern of yours. The five of you are treated as favored guests, and there is much food, drink, and celebration to be had for the next three hours, if you wish.

Eventually, you are all called to a small manor near the center of the capital, the residence of one Cletus, ruler of Lyos. The manor itself is quite nice and well furnished, but most of you have homes yourselves that put it to shame. Still, it is an agricultural world, so splendor is in short supply. As you sit around a great feasting table and your host Cletus introduces himself, he trips over his own words as he tries to flatter you all. It becomes painfully obvious the man has no spine to speak of. After a few minutes of painful formalities (maybe less painful for those of you who are used to it by now), Cletus finally moves on to the matter at hand: the brigands and the Behemoth.

"As I'm sure you've heard, there are rumors that the Behemoth and the miscreants that have been attacking us are somehow related, but I can't say for certain either way. The dreadful hooligans seem to be spread out most of the time across the land, but must have a way to contact each isolated group, for they always attack in large numbers. We have no idea who their leaders are, but someone has to be organizing them. As for the Behemoth, well..." Cletus shifts about in his seat, apparently embarrassed. "...we don't actually know where it is. We are a peaceful planet, with no enemies! So, we don't actually have any soldiers or patrols or really any scouts. But we're happy to offer you whatever assistance you need! Not that you'd need any, of course, you're all Heroes!" Just from what you've seen so far, you can guess that the most assistance you're going to get is food and drink.

"So, do you all have a plan?"

First of all, everyone gains 2 Glory. Ryuujin, just post your bragging story when you can. Epicurius, you didn't actually roll anything, but as everyone else showed, it was pretty much either "succeed or crit" for that roll.

Secondly, you guys need at least a vague plan of action. If your plan is just "go out into the wild, hope we stumble upon something", then I'll make sure there's something for you to find, so there's no bad plans. Also, we get our second tutorial of the game, the Metousia System!

As you can see in the second post, the planet Lyos has several stats that shows how well off it is (a +0 is around average for comparison). Civilization is basically how educated the people are, and how much of a "civic duty" they all believe they have. Affluence is overall wealth. Order is how much control the government actually has. Security measures criminal activity. Higher Security=More Guards=Less Crime. Religion is obviously how religious the populace is, which is kinda important when dealing with Greek Gods. Finally, there's Quality of Life, which represents how content the people are with their lot in life.

There are also three derived stats: Industry (average of Affluence and Quality of Life, with a bonus from the type of industry), Prosperity (ability to get basic necessities, average of Civilization and Religion), and War (average of Order and Security). If you look at Lyos stats, you'll notice that the government basically has no control, they have nothing that could ever be called a militia, much less an army, and overall wealth is really low.

If you want to help Lyos out, suggest ways of improving certain stats, like making Cletus into less of a spineless coward to raise order, helping set up town watches to increase security, or go all Seven Samurai and teach these peasants to fight (which would actually have to affect both order and security, since those two stats are what determines the War stat). All these tasks, once completed, will earn you a number of Metousia points, which are then spent to increase the six basic stats or to change Government types. For every stat increase (or decrease), you earn Glory. Since this is a planet you are affecting, you would earn 5 Glory for each increase, which would be split evenly among all of you (so, increasing Order from -4 to +0 gives everyone 4 Glory).

But if you really do not give a drat about these lazy farmers, then you could just deal with the brigands and the Behemoth and be done with this planet. Up to you guys.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Xenophon
Glory: 18

As Xenophon reclines on the couch, he is painfully aware of how meager the fare is, how rough the wine tastes when mixed, how bare the manor's walls and floors are. It's shameful that someone who considers himself the ruler of a world should be so badly off, but Xenophon will say nothing - the gods deliver good luck and bad according to the fates of mortals, and without their bad fortune, he would not have the opportunity to show off his prowess.

"Clearly we must set a trap for the brigands. Whatever it is they're looking for, we must create a target tempting enough for the criminals to bring themselves together, then we can crush them all at once!" Xenophon finishes off his kylix and holds it out to be refilled. "After that, we can worry about the Behemoth. What say you, fellows?"

I'm ok doing a few things around the planet to get some Glory. Anyone have suggestions?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Callimachus the Untouchable

Callimachus flows forward, and around, the others, as they finish their boasting. He loudly proclaims "I am Callimachus the Untouchable. I have fought a thousand battles grealy outnumbered without being hit once. I remained Untouchable as I joined and eventually led a mighty force of Spartan Hoplites."

He gestures for the onlookers to attempt to strike him, or shoot him down. His form flows and shifts around every blow, every shot, not nearly as well as he could if he was serious but easily more than enough to be truly untouchable by the untrained onlookers.

"I was Untouchable in my battle with the arrogant lord Nicolas the Golden and his army of a thousand hoplites." He smiles, as he adds "Untouchable except perhaps for his wife Parthenie who I took for my own!" He gives a mighty laugh, well imitating the Hellene gesture.

"And Untouchable I was when I fought a dark version of myself, a test by the gods, that I won when the dark version of myself found that it could not indeed strike me. And Untouchable I shall remain as we defeat these brigands."

----

Afterwards when the group is talking about what to do Callimachus frowns. "A trap sounds cowardly. On the other hand getting all the brigands together in one place so we can face them and crush them without needing to hunt them down is tempting."

Show Off (Evade+2xDex) 1d20+24 25

pre:
Name: Callimachus
Epithet: Callimachus the Untouchable
Race: Myrmidon
God: Apollon, the Wrestler

Profession: Myrmidon Hoplite
Destiny: Ovecome the 8 challenges of Zeracles and prove myself the greatest of warriors.
Fate: Fated to die by the hands of a noble.
Money: Base 100dm

Disadvantages:
Relationship: 2 points - Senator Delphoine, a corrupt Senator, and my former lover, was quite upset when I left 
                         her and refused to serve her.  She has begun working with others to ensure my downfall.
Relationship: 2 points - Nicias the Golden.  An arrogant and confident Zoran noble who I defeated in battle.  
                         I took his wife Parthenie as my own.  Suffice to say he is not happy about this.
Internal:     1 point  - I am quite overconfident, taking risks that I do not need to, and risks that I 
                         really shouldn't.

Ambitions:
To defeat the nineteen headed hydra.

To tame the cryobull of Lord Malichinus.

INT: +0
WIL: +1
CHA: +0
STR: +0
DEX: +7
SPD: +2
DYN: -3

HP: 33
Glory: 7
Hero Points: 

Skills:
Athletics +3 
Command +2
Engineering +1
Etiquette (Myrmidon) +7.
Evade +10
Instinct +4
Intimidate +1
Pankration +3
Parry +2
Profession (Hoplite, STR) +10
Speak Language (Myrmidon, native)
Speak Language (Any - basic) +3
Stealth +2
Tracking/Shadowing +3
Weapon (of choice) +8
Weapon (of choice) +3

Talents:
Amazing Dodge:  You have a remarkable ability to avoid being hit in melee combat.  Benefit: The Hero may add triple 
                his DEX (minimum of +3) to any Evade roll (the Hero must use an action to actively evade).
                This may be done a number of times a day equal to his DEX (minimum of 3).

Natural Talent Evade:  You have a natural afnity for a particular skill.  Benefit: Select any one skill. 
                The Hero receives double the appropriate Attribute (minimum of +2) to rolls using this skill. 
                The Hero may also reroll one failed roll with the skill per game. Note: Weapons skills are excluded 
                from this talent.

Hardiness:      You are tougher than most of your peers. Benefit: The Hero may add 5 + Triple his CON Hit 
                Points at Character Creation. This talent may be selected up to 3 times.

Cold Endurance: Because of a natural trait or experience working and living in colder climes you have a superior 
                endurance to the cold. Benefit: Reduces damage from exposure to extreme cold  by the Hero’s CON 
                (minimum of 1) and provides a natural Protection Rating (PR) to cold-based attacks equal to triple 
                his CON (minimum of PR3)

Abilities:

Regeneration:  Being a large colony of individual insects, it is very hard to kill a Myrmidon. A body can be annihilated, 
but if the queen lives the Myrmidon will eventually replace the body and live on. As long as the queen remains, a Myrmidon 
can regenerate lost limbs by shifting other areas of the colony to replace the sisters that were lost there. A Myrmidon 
heals at double the normal healing rate. If the queen is killed, the other members of the colony scatter mindlessly and 
eventually die, unless they are lucky enough to find other Myrmidons in the area that they can join with (assuming they are welcomed)

Shapeshift:  A Myrmidon can alter the shape of its body to fit into areas that a normal being could not. By compressing 
or thinning an area, a Myrmidon can creep under doors and through cracks. This ability also allows a Myrmidon to add 
extra limbs (one additional for each CON point, minimum of one extra). Each additional limb may be used but causes a 
multiple action penalty (among other uses this allows the Myrmidon to hold a two-handed weapon and use a shield at the 
same time). In combat the Myrmidon can alter its body to attack an opponent, slipping through openings in their armor 
to attack from within. In combat the Hero must first make a successful grappling attack. Once the Myrmidon has a grip 
on its opponent, it may spend additional actions covering and biting with its myriad small pincers. As long as the 
opponent is held in a grapple the Myrmidon colony may attack in this way, doing their CON in bonus damage.

Homunculus:  Myrmidons may attempt to break off a part of their “colony” to do work remotely, creating a small 
Hellene-shaped swarm and sending it on a task. The Homunculus starts with 0 skills and -1 in all Attributes, 
and a minimum of 5 Hit Points must be spent to create it. For each 5 HP spent, the player can add 1 Attribute  
point or 5 skill points, chosen from among the skills the Myrmidon knows. The  player can opt to spend as many 
as all the Hero’s Hit Points except 1 HP, which must be reserved for the queen herself. The player must make 
a WIL roll normal DoD-2 to create the body. If the roll fails nothing happens. If successful, the body splits; 
the Homunculus leaves behind all armor and equipment the Myrmidon was carrying and is now more flexible, able 
to slip through cracks, under doors, etc., but cohesive enough to perform physical tasks. As the Homunculus 
does not possess a queen, it can only be given a single, specific task that may involve only one skill that 
the Hero possesses (e.g., open a door, retrieve an object, pull a lever, enter a code, etc.)  Creating a 
Homunculus strains the queen’s ability to keep cohesion and control, and so the Hero must make a WIL roll 
DoD-1 (cumulative) for each minute the Homunculus is away. If in a stressful situation (combat), the 
Myrmidon must roll his Concentration skill every round. If a roll is failed while the Homunculus is abroad, 
the swarm loses cohesion and falls apart, scattering in all directions. Half of the Homunculus’ HP will be 
recovered from returning colony members in minutes equal to the time spent away from the queen. If the 
Homunculus is destroyed during his errand, the HP are lost and must be regenerated normally.

Clustering:  Several Myrmidons can act together, clustering to form larger structures such as bridges across 
rifts, armor, or even airtight crafts that can move through space or under water, protecting those within. 
An adequate number of Myrmidons must  be sacrificed to create the structure (e.g., two colonies could form 
a raft; several hundred would be required to form a spacecraft), with the remaining queens huddling together 
in the remaining “live” colony until such time as more living Myrmidons can be found to replace the lost 
colonies. Large asteroid-like clusters of this sort are believed to allow the Myrmidons to colonize other 
planets, with the outer shells of dead Myrmidons protecting the living queens inside through the cold of 
space, the heat of re-entry, and the shock of crashing onto a new planet. After touchdown, the shell breaks 
open and the living Myrmidons inside spill forth to colonize a new world

Omni Vision:  Because hundreds of thousands of tiny insects make up the body of one Myrmidon, they may see 
in all directions as long as it is unobstructed by clothing. Seeing in all directions does not distract 
the Myrmidon and it may function and  perceive normally.

Gear:
Exceptional Boots
Medium Cuirass armor (Hoplite mesh), 
Hoplon shield, 
Spartan infantry spear, 
Hoplite assault carbine, 
military clothing

Life Path:
Month of Birth: Mounichion, month of Aemoton
Planet of Birth: Aegina
Parents: Mother dead, father alive, raised by hive community.
Parents' Social Station: Engineers. +1 engineering (electronic) skill
Hive Status: Hive status is on the rise but tenuous.
Siblings: 7.  Younger - hatred is mutual, Older - hatred is mutual, Older - they adore me, 
              Older - adoration is mutual, Younger - they hate me, Younger - they hate me, Older - hatred is mutual.

Special Gift: Athenoian Boots dating from the Hellene war on Aegina
Divine Heritage: Great Grandparent on Mother’s side was the offspring of a God, +3 Glory
Divine Mark: Courageous (+1 WIL)
Childhood Event: Helped an old hermit on the side of the road. They blessed you and 
called you a future queen. You never saw this person again.

Callings:
First - Warrior: Told to walk into a cave under an ancient tree by an elderly priest. 
He told you that you did not need any weapon there and you agreed. Inside you met and 
bested a dark version of yourself, gaining a new insight into who you are. From that 
day on your purpose in life has been clear. The Hero may disregard the first 5 Fate 
Points that he receives (may only do this once per character).  Age 2 years.
Second - Warrior: You have proven yourself in battle and for a while captained a group 
of Spartan Hoplites. The group has never forgotten you and counts you as one of their 
brothers.  Age 2 years.
Third - Warrior: Watched a loved one waste away of a horrible disease. Age 2 years.
Fourth - Warrior:  You defeated a Zoran noble and took his wife as your prize. 
She is stunningly beautiful but very stubborn and prideful. Gain +4 Glory.  Age 4 years.
Fifth - Warrior:  An enemy, that is an ex-lover who is a Senator, They are your enemy 
because…Turned down other's offer of job or romantic/sexual involvement.  They will 
work with your other enemies to kill you..  Age 4 years.
Bonus Points:
10 spent on getting DEX up to +7
5 spent on getting the Natural Talent Evade talent
5 spent on getting the Hardiness talent
5 spent on getting the Cold Endurance talent
1 spent on getting Evade up to +10

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Kaimachus

The zintar swirls the wine left in his goblet while listening to Xenophon

"That idea has merit, but I'm afraid after we crush the brigands someone else will just take their place as there is no proper security forces in place"

He quaffs the last of the wine

"As a short-term solution we should at-least train some militia. For long-term stability Cletus could set up an universal conscription, which would require hiring instructors from off-world originally"

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Xenophon

"Conscription? Are these men slaves, to be ordered to take arms without question, and driven forward by the lash? Perhaps the Zintar are different, but Hellenes volunteer to fight, or there is no army," Xenophon pops a piece of bread into his mouth as he speaks. "These men will volunteer, once the realize their own safety depends upon it."

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Kaimachus

"Clearly I was misunderstood, what I meant was that we would implement a system where every boy of age would learn arts of war, serve as militia for a year or so and then be released to reserves. This would eventually mean every man is capable soldier and it would be cheaper than a standing legion"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Aranphaon

"I am perhaps uninformed, but do not most of the Hellene worlds have some form of mandatory militia service for their citizens?", Aranphaon asks, holding a piece of fruit in his hand, and allowing his fingers to engulf it. "It is simply good citizenship to defend one's home."

"My Lord Cletus", he asks, "Pardon my directness, but perhaps the bandits will be cowed by a sense of strength on the government's part. I've traveled much and seen many worlds, and many forms of government, but it seems to me that those worlds are most peaceful where the people know the laws will be enforced, and that violence and rebellion will be punished. People seek, more than any other good, to be safe. Or at least it seems that way to me. If those who would be bandits see that the government does not tolerate disorder, perhaps it will dissuade some of those from forming bandit bands."

Trying to convince Cletus to toughen up, actually govern.

Influence + Charisma: 1d20+5+2 9

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Kaimachus

"I was under such impression too, but clearly this world's problems stem from fact that they don't have any legion or militia at all, which would imply they don't have such training."

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
At Cletus' Manor

Pretty much the instant Aranphaon makes his suggestion, Cletus chokes on his wine. Even the servants in the room look equally shocked. "Are you crazy?! You cannot ask us to-" Suddenly Cletus remembers he talking with actual Heroes, and takes a moment to calm himself down. "What I meant to say is, we are a peaceful people. Having a standing army would only attract attention to our world, where otherwise everyone else has ignored us. Certainly, a trained militia would have helped with the brigands, but we still would have needed the assistance of Heroes to deal with the Behemoth anyways. I don't expect a Myrmidon to understand, but we do not throw our lives away at a foe in the hopes that enough of us are still alive afterwards." All the servants and assistants to Cletus nod their heads in agreement, apparently oblivious to the casual insult Cletus made about all Myrmidons. It seems actually getting the planet's "government" to do anything is not going to be easy.

_________
I have decided that convincing Cletus to take measures in training the people of Lyos to defend themselves counts as a "moderate" task, which means epicurius's roll had a DoD of -10. So that was our first critical failure of the game, and now it seems that not only are the people of Lyos entrenched in their pacifist ways, they also do not like Myrmidons much.

The good news is that if you do convince Cletus, this will count as three Metousia points, and it would take six points to raise Security by 1. Cost to increase a trait is twice what you want to raise it to (so +2 to +3 needs six points), or twice the current stat if it's negative (Security is -3, so it needs six points). So this could be a very good first step towards fixing Lyos's problem.

And here are the current ideas you have all suggested:
*Train/Conscript the peasants into a militia
*Hire drill instructors from offworld
*Lure the brigands into an ambush somehow
*Get Cletus to do anything about protecting his people

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Pierdnięcie

After stroking his beard for a moment, the sorcerer turns to Cletus. "My friend, have you considered testing your peoples for the ability to wield magic? Even a small army of magical warriors could do much to protect your land, and if trained properly in the ways of the Delphoi Legion, they would blend in as any commoner. You would have, in a sense, a secret army, and with a properly trained seer, you could see a threat coming and prepare quietly, without letting your foe know you assemble."

Pierdnięcie swirls his wine, smiling brilliantly. "And the the Behemoth will be of no concern of yours for much longer, and I believe after some further questioning we can compose a plan to get these brigands out into the open. Though I must tell you.." He sets his goblet down, leaning back in his chair. "I seek one of my own, a man named Keraun. He is mightier than I, but leaves the world of man to their own devices, acting as a liaison between Zeus and those who would champion for him. Have you heard rumor of him?"

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
End of the Feast

Cletus looks puzzled at Pierdnięcie's idea of a magic militia. A few of Cletus's assistant start talking among themselves, wondering if that was actually possible. It seems the people of Lyos have had little to no exposure to magic in their lives, but that should be expected from a farm world. Cletus scratches his head, before finally coming up with an answer. "I must admit, having some who could wield magic would be very useful, especially if that magic could help with the farms. I'm still not sure we should train magic warriors, though, as that would paint a huge target over Lyos. Others would come to recruit the dynamists for themselves, wouldn't they? Regardless, how would we even know where to start? But if you do find a few individuals with the talent, we will not stop you from taking them under your wing."

At the mention of Keraun's name, several of the servants go quiet, although the higher-ups, including Cletus, don't bat an eye. "Keraun? I thought he was just a myth. Still, I guess there's always some truth to myths. There are rumors that he lives on an island in the midst of our largest sea, but that place is too dangerous for anyone to have ever confirmed it. That area of the sea is surrounded by constant storms, and no ship that I know of has ever returned from there. Please, I must ask you to focus on the problems at hand, we cannot afford to lose Heroes such as you to bad weather!" Again, the assistants support Cletus, but the servants don't seem to agree, and look upon the entire group with awe for even thinking about attempting such a challenge.

The rest of the night is uneventful, except for the food. Eventually the feast ends, and some servants show you to the guest rooms. Like the rest of the manor, it's nice enough but not what you're used to sleeping in. Some of you may even choose to sleep in the ship you came in on instead. Either way, tomorrow you will set out and put your plan into motion. ...You do all have a plan, right?

So, from the IRC it seems like everyone hates Cletus and wants to overthrow him. Epicurius is probably going to call his myrmidon buddies to Lyos, which would give you guys enough time to deal with the brigands and/or the Behemoth, or even help Dyne with his ambition of finding Keraun. For the brigands, so far the only plan is "lure them into a trap", with no one saying what that trap will be. You can discuss it in this thread (either talk to each other before you go to sleep, or just talk OOC, doesn't matter to me), and I'll just advance time to the interesting bits. If you have some other idea, post it.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Here is my trap idea, but on a Trojan scale.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
OOC, in terms of a trap, if the free beer thing doesn't work, I say we go with a Q ship....basically, a caravan or something of valuables that seems undefended, and then, surprise! It's heroes!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

I am 100% behind either of those options. Maybe a big caravan of beer?

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
this is a good plan

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
The Plan In Action

After the feast, you all start preparing for your "plan", stealing Cletus's personal supply of alcohol when the servants have gone to bed. You set out early in the morning, convincing some townsfolk to lend you a cart and some horses, and head towards the nearest plume of smoke on the horizon. All of you are wearing simple cloaks, enough to hide your weapons and armor, and you make no effort to hide the large amount of booze stacked haphazardly in the cart. You get a few odd looks from the few peasants you pass on the way, but no one stops you until late in the afternoon.

Your first hint the brigands had found you was a pistol being fired into the air as a warning, before around eight men step out of the bushes they were hiding in. Each has a crazed look in their eye, and it probably has nothing to do with their desire for your booze. The one with the gun levels it at whoever was driving the cart, and motions for you all to step away. The rest all have swords drawn, and two of them are wearing basic armor. The question now is, do you spring into action and be Heroes, or do you try to lure them into a false sense of security so you don't risk getting shot in the face?

By the way, since Ryuujin has dropped out, FireSight has taken his place. Feel free to add 2 Glory to your sheet, FireSight, since you probably would have succeeded at the boast as well (also, post your sheet in your first post). Epicurius, Sormus, I noticed you don't actually have any weapons on your sheets. Feel free to use the money you started the game with to buy a weapon, I'll just assume you bought it before coming to Lyos. Otherwise, you may have a harder time in combat. Alternatively, you guys could try any other tactic you think would help to lower the enemies' guard before you strike. And remember that you want to take at least one alive.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dion Glory: -6 Hero Points: 4/5

Sitting in the drivers seat of the wagon, Dion raises both hands in surrender before giving a sudden start. "Hey, don't I know you? Aren't you that guy I saw with my sister a few days back?" His right arm drops down to point at the armed thug accusingly for a moment... before a small object flies out of the sleeve of his robe with a pop sound. The small metal disk hits the thugs chest with a clack and sticks there for a moment, while Dion leans back to brace himself against the foot of the wagon. "Lemme take a closer look!" Suddenly the thin cord attached to the disk, unnoticed in the surprise, pulls tight, and the armed thug finds himself flying through the air towards the kyklopes.

Using my Molecular Grappler and Gun to yank the leader towards us so we can take a dude alive.
<Hashutbot> FireSight, 1d20+6-10: 9 [1d20=13]
<FireSight> partial success
Spend a hero point to bump from 9 to 11, giving me a full success

pre:
Name: Dion
Epithet: Dion of the Quick Eye
Race: Kyklopes
God: Hephaeston

Profession: Kyklopes Teacher
Destiny: Discover and retrieve all twelve of the Lost Relics of the Gods Creation.
Fate: Killed by mother
Money: 80dm

Disadvantages:
Relationship: 2 points - My life is a sitcom (relationship drama abound)
Internal: 2 point - Depression: Everyone close to me gets hurt or killed.
Internal: 1 point - Obsession with finding ancient relics

Ambitions:
To find a fragment of one of the Great Assemblers of Gaia, the machines she crafted 
from her own body to create new worlds in the empty void that was her husband Uranus.

To steal the Bloody Stone Tablet of the Mother, the only known Relic of the Gods Creation 
still in existence, from the Sisterhoods Hidden Temple of Hera, and use it to discover and 
locate similar Relics of the Gods Creation belonging to other gods.

Find the answer behind Kyklopes with two True Eyes, and unlock the secret guarded 
by the crystal key he left.

INT: +2
PER: +5
WIL: +1
CHA: -1
STR: +1
DEX: +0
CON: +0
CR : +1
DYN: +0

Glory: -8
Hero Points: 5

Skills:
Computers (of choice) +3
Deduce Motives +1
Disable Mechanism +5
Etiquette (Kyklopes) +7
Instinct +2
Investigate/Search +8
Lore(Heraldry) +2
Lore(History) +8
Perform +3
Pilot (Small Craft) +1
Research +8
Science (Theology) +6
Speak Language (Kyklopes, Native)
Speak Language (Atlantean, Basic) +3
Speak Language (Hellene, Basic) +3
Weapon (Pistols) +6

Profession(Teaching, INT) +10

Talents:
Quick Learner
Antiquarian

Abilities:
Third Eye
Poor Eyesight
Aisthetike
Enigmas

Gear:
Small statue of Hephaeston
Diadalos hand comp
off-the-rack Ionic Chiton
Himation
Exceptional Hoplite Plate
Crystal Key
Hoplite Pistol - 270dm
Molecular Grappler and Gun - 150

Life Path:
Month of Birth: Boedromion
Planet of Birth: Kykyon
Parents
-Both Alive
-Sailors (+1 Pilot skill)
Family: Killed in a great war
Siblings: None
Special Gift: Grandparents Hoplite Plate
Divine Heritage: Great-Great-Grandparent on mother’s side was the offspring of a God/Goddess
Divine Mark: Very Wise (+1 PER that can take character beyond racial maximum)
Childhood Encounter: Met Someone Special
Someone Special: Met a strange Kyklopes with two crystals orbiting his head. He smiled
and vanished. Where he had stood, a small crystal key lay. You took it.

The Warrior: Tragedy: You are the cause of a war or conflict where many innocent suffered and died. 
Everyone knows of your burden and shame; lose 10 Glory (5 years)
The Sailor: Enemy (Close friend with secret hatred, accused of cowardice or some character flaw, 
wants to ruin my life) (2 year)
The Warrior: Relationship: Love Triangle, true love torn between you and your worst enemy! (3 years)
The Sailor: Relationship (Unrequited love) (3 years)
The Scholar: Tragedy! (Accidentally crippled a loved one in a vehicle mishap.) (1 year) 

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 24, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Xenophon

Xenophon smiles at the bandits as he stands up near Dion. "No need to be so hasty, boys, I'm sure there'll be plenty to drink for you..." When Dion's grapnel shoots out and grabs the leading man, Xenophon takes the opportunity. Spinning on his heel he lashes out with the back of his foot, crashing his heel right into the bandit's face. "...in Hadon's realm!"

Attack! (Pankration+CR-6): 1d20+8 13
Pankration is DR4+STR, so 9 damage!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Pierdnięcie

When he hears the cyclops' little speach, the ethereal sorcerer counts to three before bursting out from the back of the wagon, taking to the sky and crackling with electrical energy. He throws his hands out, letting the energy spiral up and around his arms, coalescing into spheres in his outstreched hands. "By the power of Zeus Almighty, I send you to Hades' domain!" Pierdnięcie clenches his fists around the spheres, causing the power to trickle through his fingers before he flings the spheres at two of the pistol wielding bandits.

Spending 2 HP to do two actions without penalty.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4617475/ 30 - 3 for AoE - 10 for damage = 17, success!
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4617488/ 22 - 8 Ability = 14, + 6 from 3 HP = 20, CRIT

Inflicted 10 damage to two guys, and critcal injuries as well. No idea what that'll mean, or if I did more damage or not! :v: I am down to 10 HP.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Aranphaon

Aranphaon, while no soldier himself, was trained in weapon use by his parents, and, while not strong enough to use a spear properly, nevertheless stands and draws his xyphos and shield. "Is it not villainous, wolves of Hellas, to prey on poor farmers? I call you wolves, for you are ravenous beasts.", and then, using his training, slashes at one of the bandits.

Attacking the bandits. Combat skill rating of 6

Attacking the Bandit: 1d20+6 11

The sword has a max DR of 8

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Kaimachus

Not to be outdone by others Kaimachus trains his hoplite pistol on the enemy.

<Sormus> 1d20+2+4-6
<Hashutbot> Sormus, 1d20+2+4-6: 4 [1d20=4], Spending 1 heropoint to get it to 6, partial success.

pre:
Hoplite Pistol, Slug, Armor piercing 1/2 Armor.
Acc	Dr	Str	RoF	AMMO	Rng
+4	8	 +0	  2	  12	50m

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Is it still a bar fight if there's no bar, but plenty of booze?

The man with the gun gets increasingly irritated as Dion continues to talk. "No tricks! We'll kill you if you try-ohwhatthe-" The grappling gun strikes him square in the chest, and sends him flying towards Xenophon, who forces all of the air out of the poor man's lungs with a well-placed kick. Before any of the other brigands can react, Pierdnięcie gathers power and unleashes lightning upon the fools, two of the thugs dying instantly as Pierdnięcie's eyes surge blue with power. By this point the ruffians have wised up to trap they blundered into, and both Aranphaon's and Kaimachus's attacks are narrowly dodged one of them narrowly dodges Aranphaon's attack while another is barely grazed by Kaimachus's pistol.

With a crazed howl, the two armored thugs charge forward, one running to the aid of the man with the gun as he swings his sword towards Xenophon, the second making a diving tackle at Pierdnięcie, hoping to hold the dynamist down and make it difficult for him to zap anyone else. The three remaining thugs all split up to attack Dion, Aranphaon, and Kaimachus. Meanwhile, the brigand with the pistol aims it at Xenophon while he deals with his current assailant, and tries to get a shot off while the Grappler is distracted.

The two thugs with armor have the basic medium cuirass armor, PR 3. Gun Thug has Ability level 10 (penalty to all attacks against him), everyone else has Ability level 8. Gun Thug has a -2 for all actions due to having trouble breathing.

Gun Thug: takes 9 damage, 6/15 HP. Shooting at Xenophon, currently rolling 1d20+10+4-7-2, Hoplite Pistol (Acc +4, DR 8).
Armor Thug A: 15/15. Attacking Xenophon, currently rolling 1d20+8-7, Hoplite Xiphos (DR 8).
Armor Thug B: 15/15. Grappling Pierdnięcie and slamming him prone, currently rolling 1d20+8-5+5, Slam would do 4 damage and knock Pierdnięcie prone (requires an action to stand up, but first must break the grapple).
Thug 1: Zapped to Death
Thug 2: Zapped to Death
Thug 3: 15/15. Attacking Dion, currently rolling 1d20+8-0, Hoplite Xiphos (DR 8).
Thug 4: 15/15. Attacking Aranphaon, currently rolling 1d20+8-9, Hoplite Xiphos (DR 8).
Thug 5: 11/15. Attacking Kaimachus, currently rolling 1d20+8-4, Hoplite Xiphos (DR 8).

OK, going to ignore initiative for at least this fight, probably for the rest of the game as well because initiative doesn't work as well in PbP. The remaining brigands all attack, although I haven't actually rolled for them yet. The reason is you all have a chance to perform an "active defense". Basically, instead of you opponent rolling to hit, you roll to dodge or parry, using either Dex+Evade or CR+Parry. CR+Pankration can also be used, but takes a -5 against melee weapons.

Everyone needs to decide if they want to use an active defense or not, which takes an action. I'm going to be nice and say this is round two (round one being a surprise round), so any active defenses don't suffer a multi-action penalty (but that will apply to any other actions you make this round, such as attacking). Also, from now on, please do not roll for your own attack rolls. Just give me the modifiers, so the NPCs can choose if they want to use an active defense or not.

Also, Sormus: that should be a -8 to your roll, not a -6. Since your hero point wouldn't have mattered, it isn't spent. You could retroactively spend two hero points if you really want, which would knock Thug 5 down to 11/15 hp.

Oh yeah, and it would be helpful if everyone had a combat block showing what armor they are wearing, what their dodge (Dex+Evade) and parry (CR+Parry) defenses are, and what weapons they are using. Your attributes wouldn't hurt either.

Edit: Since it will probably come up, I'm going to say Dyne can't turn intangible if someone is currently grabbing him, just in the interests of not letting Dyne become invincible for 12 turns while he rains down lightning like an angry Zeus. Unless that grapple attack fails, in which case here is a preemptive "drat it, Dyne."

Astus fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 29, 2014

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Does he get a penalty to his tackle for the fact I'm flying? :v:

e: also since i've lost my book i haven't bought any armor sooo what i do

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 28, 2014

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
Kaimachus

Zintar is surprised his shot misses, clearly the gravity is affecting his aim. He sees one of the brigands rushing towards him and prepares to dodge

I'm going to take you on that offer of spending 2 hero points. Also does worn armor stack with Carapace? All the book says is "Zintar armor costs 20% more"
pre:
INT	PER	WIL	CHA	STR	DEX	CON	SPD	CR	DYN
+3	+1	+2	+0	+1	+4	+0	+1	+0	+0

Hero Points: 3/5
Armor: 7(?)
Evade: 0
Parry: 0
Weapon: Guns: +2

Weapon:	
Hoplite Pistol, Slug, Armor piercing 1/2 Armor.
ACC	Dr	STR	ROF	AMMO	RNG
+4	8	+0	2	12	50m

Carapace:
HP	DEX	STR	SPD 	PR 	HrP
25 	User 	User 	+0 	0 	8
Accessories: Armor PR 4 + Lightweight Full-suit 3

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dion

If he had eyes, he would have rolled them. The bandits apparently didn't know when they were outmatched. It only took a second for him to pull his pistol and aim it at the charging thug.

Firing my Hoplite Pistol at the dude charging me, CR 1 + Gun 6 + Accuracy 4 for a +11 to hit him before negative modifiers for movement. Not taking an active defense because I only have a +1, which is why I'm wearing my AWESOME Exceptional Hoplite Plate under the cloak, making it really hard to hurt me.

pre:
+2      +5      +1      -1      +1      +0(-3)  +0      +0      +1      +0

Hero Points: 3/5
Glory: -6
Armor: 12(Exception Hoplite Plate)
Evade: 0
Weapon: Guns: +6

Weapon:	
Hoplite Pistol, Slug, Standard Ammo.
ACC	Dr	STR	ROF	AMMO	RNG
+4	8	+0	2	12	50m

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 28, 2014

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Sormus posted:

I'm going to take you on that offer of spending 2 hero points. Also does worn armor stack with Carapace? All the book says is "Zintar armor costs 20% more"

Normally Zintar can't wear normal armor except for helmets, but you can spend 20% more for a custom-fit suit of armor that can be worn over your carapace. Or you can spend 100dm per point of PR you want to add to your carapace, with each 5 points of PR subtracting the suit's Dex by 1. If you both increased the suit's PR and bought custom armor that can fit your carapace, they would stack.

John Dyne posted:

Does he get a penalty to his tackle for the fact I'm flying? :v:

Moving large distances is an action, but I'll say you are hovering high enough that it's more of a leaping tackle, so he'll take a -3 to his roll.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Aranphaon

Aranphaon swings again at his enemy, counting on his shield and shield belt to absorb any damage if the bandit hits him. Perhaps the racist Cletus was right when he claimed that Myrmidons held life cheaper, or perhaps Aranphaon, not a warrior himself, feels it more important to finish off his opponent quickly, even at the risk of harm, than engaged in a drawn out combat where the other's superior skill would show.

pre:
+1	+0	+0	+2	+0	+4	+2	+2	+0	-1

Hero Points: 9/9
Armor: 
Evade: +5
Weapon: Melee: +6

Weapon:	
Hoplite Infantry Xiphos
Dr	STR	
8	+0	

Light Hoplite Shield
MD

1st age Shield Belt
PR

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Despite having to leap up to even reach Pierdnięcie, the armored brigand manages to barely grab onto the Nephelai, but is unable to throw the dynamist to the ground. Meanwhile, one of the armed men delivers a mightly blow to Dion, only to find his sword bounce off the Kyklopes's heirloom armor. Dion is still somewhat rattled from the attack, though, and his shot barely grazes the brigand's side. Aranphaon isn't able to move out of the way in time, and a small amount of worker drones from his arm are violently separated from the rest of the colony. He returns the favor by violently separating a large amount of blood from his attacker's body, so it's clear who got the worst of that exchange. The final thug desperately swings at the Zintar Kaimachus, but his blows slide off Kaimachus's armor like water.

All in all, not a good sign for the brigands.

Thug 3: Rolled 16, +8=24, Critical Success. DR 8-PR 12, no damage. Technically Dion should make a Con roll because of the crit, but I don't think it'd make sense for a random mook to be able to one shot a PC without actually doing damage.

Thug 4: Rolled 19, +8-9=18, full success. DR 8-PR 5=3 damage, Aranphaon is at 17/20 hp.

Sormus dodge: Rolled 10, +4-8=6, Partial Success. DR 4-PR 7=no damage.

Dion: Rolled a 4, +11-8=7, partial success. DR 4, so Thug 3 takes 4 damage, at 11/15 hp.

Aranphaon: Rolled a 13, +6-8=11, full success. DR 8, so Thug 4 takes 8 damage, at 7/15 hp.

Still need an action from Dyne, and FriarJohn needs to decide if he's making an active defense or not. Sormus can still make an attack if he wants, but he'll take a -4 multi-action penalty (normally -5, but Sormus has Spd +1).

Gun Thug: 6/15 HP. Shooting at Xenophon, currently rolling 1d20+10+4-7-2, Hoplite Pistol (Acc +4, DR 8).
Armor Thug A: 15/15. Attacking Xenophon, currently rolling 1d20+8-7, Hoplite Xiphos (DR 8).
Armor Thug B: 15/15. Currently grappling Pierdnięcie.
Thug 1: Zapped to Death
Thug 2: Zapped to Death
Thug 3: 11/15 hp
Thug 4: 7/15 hp.
Thug 5: 11/15 hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Pierdnięcie

The sorcerer glares down at the man who has grabbed onto his ankle and foot, disgust on his face. "You dare judge yourself worthy to touch the flesh of a king, to assail a son of the father of all gods? You have made your very worst and very last mistake, fool!" With that, Pierdnięcie throws his gaze skyward and hurtles forward into the heavens, with the poor bandit trailing behind him and grasping on for dear life.

As he flies upwards, the windman grins down at the bandit. "I am certain you will want to be let done to feel the embrace of the planet once again, my idiotic friend, but the question remains at what speed you wish to do so. Perhaps one of your fellows below can catch you?" He gives a predatory grin to the man before looking skyward again. "If only you had any information to dissuade me from simply turning intangible and sending you hurtling to your death."

I am flying straight up as fast as I can at the rate of 65 meters per round. I hope this dude has a fear of heights.

• Locked thread