Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Also I don't even begin to want to know what kind of 'business' wearing a command cap around as a civilian brings in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Snowdens Secret posted:

Did he tell you it was fine to wear one, as long as you bought enough to share with the whole command?

:lol:

I really think those were more from the then deputy commodore, honestly. He was a different kind of guy. Had 10 dependents. He drove a loving 15 pack van as a POV.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014

LingcodKilla posted:

It's not food poisoning it's a weight loss plan.

Then they tried to serve the other batch that wasn't bad the next day for leftovers. Nobody took any.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

hell yeah gonna get all sorts of business wearing this thing

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MancXVI posted:

Holy poo poo that thing is ugly as gently caress.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

orange juche posted:

Holy poo poo that thing is ugly as gently caress.

Looks like a bald eagle got cucked by a golden eagle. Kinda makes sense.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MancXVI posted:

you need to add an A to that

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

DinosaurWarfare posted:

Has anyone ever heard anything about overturning a NAMI aviation disqualification? Reason was ADHD history 5-6 years ago and some other sleep-related bullshit that NAMI didn't like but BUMED didn't mind. I wouldn't be able to try again until 2016 anyway, which would bring it to 7-8 years ago.

Much like anything, there is always a waiver. But NAMI is super loving anal about the initial flight screening. Doesn't hurt to try again but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009

MancXVI posted:

Awesome my roommate works there at NASWI

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

mambo italiano posted:

Awesome my roommate works there at NASWI

Which shop?

mambo italiano
Apr 4, 2009

MancXVI posted:

Which shop?

MancXVI posted:

Which shop?

Sorry man. I can't post that. She has a big black dog if that helps

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

mambo italiano posted:

Sorry man. I can't post that. She has a big black dog if that helps

I think I know who you're talking about. Tell her Obe said hi.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I was applying for a second job and while looking over my dd214 I was thinking I don't remember getting qualified in one of the items listed. I don't remember if sitting that position long enough qualifies you or if you had to be sent to the school.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I was applying for a second job and while looking over my dd214 I was thinking I don't remember getting qualified in one of the items listed. I don't remember if sitting that position long enough qualifies you or if you had to be sent to the school.

My evals all have numbers of patient encounters on them. I don't know whether they're accurate, but they're big numbers so I use them on my resume. If anybody asks, I tell them they are recorded in my official military personnel file, and nobody has ever questioned it. Like the ships log, once it's written in there, that's officially what happened.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

"I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all" sounds like the first draft of a corporate handbook.

This. I am on board with most others. It always makes me laugh when someone decides to do the creed, and everyone says "I!" so proudly....and then there's only the two guys in the group that know it and everyone else mumbles.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
If I was enlisted for three years and then attended a service Academy am I eligible for 100% post 9/11 GI bill after serving my five years for school? I paid my 1200$ for Montgomery GI bill back in the day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You enlisted time makes you eligible regardless of your time at the academy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

"If you don't volunteer and go to college on sea duty you're getting a P. University of Phoenix has month long courses" :chiefsay:

loving :lol:

Every person I've seen that tried to take real college courses had to drop the classes. Something about being gone for 5-21 days at a time without Internet

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 30, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hey man, Capella University is reputable :rolleyes:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Enlisted love bragging about all the degrees they got while enlisted through lovely diploma mills no one recognizes

Guess your eval/chain of command doesn't care though because that's where they got theirs

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

Enlisted love bragging about all the degrees they got while enlisted through lovely diploma mills no one recognizes

Guess your eval/chain of command doesn't care though because that's where they got theirs

It's worse hearing about what they're going to use their GI Bill on when they get out.

Goddammit don't go to Fullsail you idiot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I have an Army friend that is/was going to a vocational type tech school for electrician, plumbing, etc. He said most the students are vets. Anyways apparently something happened and now it's no longer going to be covered and they're losing something like 400 students.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

My chief asked me at my CDB last week why I am not taking classes from Phoenix or whatever the gently caress, I just laughed and called it a terrible degree mill. (Little did I know he is 3/4 of the way to a Masters in accounting from UoP expensive sheet of toilet paper) I almost fell out of my chair.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Christoff posted:

I have an Army friend that is/was going to a vocational type tech school for electrician, plumbing, etc. He said most the students are vets. Anyways apparently something happened and now it's no longer going to be covered and they're losing something like 400 students.
That sucks. I went through LTI and BMW's STEP school, and both were covered by the GI Bill.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Not sure what happened. poo poo, he's been there for almost 2 years? He's pretty much done and already working. Got a ton of certs already. Was just taking some night classes and such probably to still get some more fun bux

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

I laugh every time someone around here brings up college because they point to their UoP degrees and say "You can get biochemistry from them probably, you just have to look!" and I bring up how every major university requires you to have a lab attached to each class, a lab you can't do in a barracks room over the internet and lord knows I'm not driving an hour for a 4-5 hour lab, with no guarantee that I can leave work/duty to attend it. Maybe if I was going for a BA in Business like you HM1!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Christoff posted:

"If you don't volunteer and go to college on sea duty you're getting a P. University of Phoenix has month long courses" :chiefsay:

loving :lol:

Every person I've seen that tried to take real college courses had to drop the classes. Something about being gone for 5-21 days at a time without Internet

Yea senior enlisted leadership is loving full of dumbasses going to terrible schools. Here's the thing though: to make senior you need a degree, and I don't think the navy actually gives a gently caress where it's from, so if you're going to do 20, might as well go to Excelsior where they'll give you a billion credits for loving A school. . Nevermind I had bad information.

I tell all of my students to not be dumb with their GI Bill/TA/etc and to not go to a garbage school, so maybe I'm doing a good thing.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 31, 2014

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

PneumonicBook posted:

Here's the thing though: to make senior you need a degree

Um, no you don't. Maybe in the CG, but not in the Navy. I know quite a few without degrees. MCs too. Those guys are just really good at their jobs and care about their people, and didn't spend all of their time loving off and paying attention to collaterals and working on a poo poo "Business Management" degree. Unfortunately those folks are leaving because the Navy is turning into an entitled loser promotion factory. Thank you CSADD and Phoenix.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

poopkitty posted:

Um, no you don't. Maybe in the CG, but not in the Navy. I know quite a few without degrees. MCs too. Those guys are just really good at their jobs and care about their people, and didn't spend all of their time loving off and paying attention to collaterals and working on a poo poo "Business Management" degree. Unfortunately those folks are leaving because the Navy is turning into an entitled loser promotion factory. Thank you CSADD and Phoenix.

Oh fantastic, another thing my chief was wrong about!

Maybe he meant you need one to be competitive? Seemed like he meant that you needed one though.

People going to lovely schools now makes even less sense.

:chiefsay: That officer's dumb, I have a degree too (from Ashford) so just listen to me!

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 31, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Obviously it depends on the rate. Being in one that's very hard to promote in part of the :chiefsay: speech I posted above was yeah you're pretty much not getting looked at for chief boards unless you have a degree. I don't find It hard to believe because he had just talked to the CMC etc and evals are all about car washes and selling cupcakes. And by that time I'm sure all the e-6s have 2 BAs from some diploma mill. At least the ones dumb enough to do 20

But seriously he's loving obsessed with volunteering. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing but he's talking about dumb poo poo like handing out drinks at a iron man or triathlon or some poo poo. Also hard to do on sea duty.

Meh I'm out soon gently caress it. I do plan on volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters at some point as a civilian

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

poopkitty posted:

No, when the Navy tried to do that the CG strangely ran away from it really fast. First time they didn't just try to steal the idea and make it worse, I think.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

Oh fantastic, another thing my chief was wrong about!

Maybe he meant you need one to be competitive? Seemed like he meant that you needed one though.

People going to lovely schools now makes even less sense.

:chiefsay: That officer's dumb, I have a degree too (from Ashford) so just listen to me!

There was a period of time a few years back when an Associate's or higher was required to promote to senior chief but they walked that back.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
IIRC MCPON Terry Scott tried to make it mandatory for all Master Chiefs to have master's degrees... Didn't exactly work out too well...

buttplug fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 31, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

There was a period of time a few years back when an Associate's or higher was required to promote to senior chief but they walked that back.

Ah, okay. I suppose dated information is better than flat out wrong.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

krispykremessuck posted:

No, when the Navy tried to do that the CG strangely ran away from it really fast. First time they didn't just try to steal the idea and make it worse, I think.

Maybe the CG is CWO then? When I was looking at the LDO/CWO program a Mentor of mine was all "but you need a degree!" and I was like, no? So maybe that's where I was confused. Either way, maybe I should have gone in the CG but whatever, 20 months to freedom.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's kind of sad that needed to be walked back. How much of an imposition is it really to require that people promoted to be in charge of dozens if not hundreds of people be required to actually do the things they tell other people to do. I don't think requiring a basic level of literacy or education isn't a bad thing either, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly why it didn't stick and what Navy community would be specifically upset about it.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

poopkitty posted:

Maybe the CG is CWO then? When I was looking at the LDO/CWO program a Mentor of mine was all "but you need a degree!" and I was like, no? So maybe that's where I was confused. Either way, maybe I should have gone in the CG but whatever, 20 months to freedom.

Maybe to be competitive in certain ratings going into their respective CWO specialties. I know if you were an E6 trying to go for warrant you were mighty hosed if you didn't have a degree because of the number of points a chief gets out of the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

TheQuietWilds posted:

I don't think requiring a basic level of literacy or education isn't a bad thing either

Like a Full Sail degree provides either of these

It would be one thing if you had the option of taking even two years off to attend college full-time, but otherwise getting any degree that's not obvious horseshit is going to depend on getting very lucky with your shore tour billet and/or landing somewhere that can afford to let you gently caress off your job and study/go to class all the time instead. That's not particularly fair as it's not really possible for a lot of rates.

E: Why is this thread still open

• Locked thread