Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Recruit/OOC thread.

With apologies to Mallory Ortberg.

A PICNIC has gone horribly wrong.

Millicent Norwood, for some reason, has seen fit to hold a grand garden-party on the grounds of her late father's estate, extending an invite to all the ladies of Bloodfordshire. She is not what her descendants in the coming centuries might describe as "a people person." You're pretty sure there's been blood spilled on some of the upcycled tablecloths picnic blankets Millie's servants have set out for her guests (for ambiance, she says. Ambiance.). There is an honest-to-god fox (of the sort Rich Folk send hounds to hunt when they're feeling listless) settled on a table of hors d'oeuvres as though laying claim to it, idly pawing and snapping at tiny sandwiches and tea-cakes. Millicent is clearly trying to upstage Evangeline and doing a terrible job at it, all forced smiles and fumbled innuendo.

But you can't leave, not yet. That would be rude.

Anne, you have become exceedingly ashamed of what your conduct has been. What did you do? Did you finally garrote Barbara or Alex or Dolly? Or were you merely a bit too cross with a new acquaintance who will surely not spend her days plotting dire (but by no means deadly! Probably.) revenge? Come to think of it, where are your sisters? Were any of them invited, or are they all off doing younger-sibling things like constantly upstaging you and stealing away the hearts of all who lay eyes on them?

Gala, your father is absolutely terrible with money. No one has ever told him this. (But people are talking about it now, yuuuup.) What has he done. More importantly, who has come to you, all bewilderment and a teensy bit of bluster, and demanded that you explain yourself this instant? What are they on about, anyways?

Elisabeth, someone is absolutely smitten with your conduct. What have you done. More importantly, who is your newfound admirer? How loudly and impolitely are they gushing about these things that you -- or, perhaps, someone sharing your face -- have done? Are they some meek little thing bashfully breathing out whispers of admiration and almost daring to propose a little teatime tête-à-tête, or have you just heard the Regency equivalent of FUCKYEAH DUDE THAT BOOK YOU WROTE WITH THE LADIES AND THE DUDES AND THE BODICE-RIPPING AND THE THROWING ONESELF INTO ONE'S FAVOURED PURSUITS WITH ABANDON WAS B A L L E R ?

Evangeline, you are in a garden, and you are just astonished. Why are you astonished? It's Millie, isn't it? What did she say? Knowing dear Millicent, it was surely something a bit ill-considered, spoken from behind a flimsy mask of confidence. Horrible. (It was her, right?)

Danielle, a charming man -- well, okay, less a charming man and more a lady done up like a discount Mr. Darcy, all carrying the slightest hint of a French accent and trying to be charming -- attempts to flirt with you. She's not very good at it. She may have asked if ohhhh, mademoiselle, did it cause you une blessure terrible when you fell from les cieux? And winked. Yep. Lots of winking goin' on. Who is she? Surely not some jerk your parents might wish to set you up with, right?

Katarina, a girl you have only just met tells you a secret, and you despise her for it. Is it an interesting secret, or merely some matter of life and death? She doesn't recognise you, does she?

Madeleine. Madeleine, Madeleine, Madeleine. You are the least boorish person here! Which is to say, the most unobtrusive. Despite your best efforts, though, someone is absolutely enchanted with you. Why do they keep talking at you? What strange and unexpected offer -- and surely it's the swell of their heart talking, not a bit too much wine -- have they extended? How did you end up in this mess? My, my...

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Hot: -1 Cold: 1 Volatile: 1 Trespass/Forgiveness: 0/0
Harm 0|4 Exp 0|5

I affect the weakest smile to have ever been attempted in response to the girl's line, sighing internally as my grip on the stem of my wine glass tightened tightly but imperceptibly. "Oui," I manage from behind clenched teeth. "It was...erhm...très douloureux." I allow myself a slight, very forced, giggle. Lady Mallory...'mother' insisted on politeness in all social gatherings. While the woman wasn't here, thankfully, the way Bloodfordshire worked, word would have gotten around by the time I returned to the Mallory estate.

This human though, this girl, one Patrice Desjardins, was very quickly gnawing through my last nerve. She hadn't been summoned forth by my 'parents', at least, I don't think so. But she had followed me around the garden like a stray cat all afternoon. I suppose it was an inevitability of my condition - divinity cloaked in mortal form would of course draw mortal attention. But, knowing or not, and in French or not, that was roughly the thirtieth time I had heard that particular pick up line.

I had heard of Patrice, of course. The sort to buck social mores, cloaking it under the auspices of foreign conduct. It would have been laudable, that is, if Patrice herself wasn't ever so grating on the nerves - but I suppose one could not help one's personality.

Thoroughly bored with the lack of actual intellectual conversation with Madamoiselle Desjardins, my eyes wandered around the rest of the crowd.

It was, after all, quite an assembly. There was the false girl, Gala, poor thing. And, oh! Elisabeth. I can't help but blush ever so slightly. Hopefully, Patrice didn't read it as an invitation to continue further conversation. And finally the creature Katarina. Cooly, I sipped my wine and narrow my eyes.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 16, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Madeline Adkins
Hot: +0 Cold: -1 Volatile: +1 Dark: +1
Harm 0|4 Exp 0|5 Conditions: Impertinent

If Madeline wants anything out of today's party, it is a chance to see Ms Joysey again. Not that it isn't an honor for a simple maid such as herself to serve drinks at a party such as this, of course. It's just that she would like to meet Ms Joysey formally so very much, and given her role in the part they will meet again sooner or later. Assuming Ms Joysey is attending, of course, but it would not be proper at all if the houseguest didn't attend her host's garden party. Madeline just needs to keep moving through the party and she'll meet her again eventually.

Unfortunately for Miss Atkins, she has been cornered by a Ms Ophelia Amberly. Ophelia is known around Bloodfordshire as a gourmand and general lover of life. Life clearly loves her back, since she has so much of it clinging to her frame. She is currently sipping demurely on a glass of wine as she eyes Madeline like a fine cut of beef. Four drained glasses lay forgotten at her feet.

"Oh my. No one told me the servers were as fine as the wine. We really should get better acquainted, dearie." Ophelia reaches up and runs a hand down Madeline's arm, feeling the muscles tense beneath her fingers. "Perhaps I will ask Millie if you could work on my estate instead. That would be lovely, wouldn't it?"

"I'm q-quite happy working at Norwood estate, ma'am." Madeline turns away to hide her blush. It would not do for a maid to even consider taking that offer, no matter how well the person asking fills out her-no, that's enough of that. Oh, but it would be so much simpler if Ms Joysey was asking instead. But who knows? The party is still young. Perhaps the two of them will reconnect yet.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Elisabeth Somerville, the Unchained
Hot -1, Cold +1, Volatile 0, Dark +1
Harm 0/4; Exp 0/5; Conditions:

There I am, sat on the lawn on one of those strangely colorful picnic blankets under a tree. In my hand lie about three-quarters of the updated manuscript I was to show Annabelle before my lapse. One of the other guests mentioned that I had them on my person, and I haven't been able to shoo Victoria Ellsworth away ever since - which is a shame, since I'd like nothing but to say my polite greetings to the few people here I can stand and be left alone. Maybe even slip away and do some writing.

Not that her company is any more unbearable than any other attendant of the party. She considers my occupation (if one can indeed call it that) a mark of great intellect on my part, and is nothing if not a sincere sort of girl. I know this is not flattery, and yet I can't bring myself to respond in kind or, conversely, subtly steer her towards another guest. And she still has a good portion of my work in her hands. Oh well, let her read them - they'll entertain her far more than I will.

After a few minutes, her words had started to take on a uniform cant, one unable to be discerned from the next, when she suddenly mentioned my being at the tavern in town. She'd stopped by to inquire about some errand or another when she claims she saw me drinking and boasting about defeating a band of highwaymen earlier that night. They'd apparently been harassing a young woman. Oh dear...

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 3, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Annabelle Doyle

I am not alone, thank you, though I'd much prefer if I was. No, I've been tasked with being chaperone to Goddard's second social outing. I vastly prefer the term "sitting" as that's what my role involves most heavily.

Alexander is here, inspecting the local fauna as she is wont to do. Barbie had the wisdom to attend a more-popular party to which she will be the only representative for the Doyles. Stella Gillingham is the hostess of that event, and much more stylish than Millie will ever be. For that reason I've been vocally showing my appreciation for Millie and... disdain for Stella. I may have driven a fork into one of my crumpets while describing the savage goings-on I imagine are occurring under Stella's guidance, and petticoat.

But no, my plans are much too sophisticated for primitive clubs. The fork will be vital to my plan. As I return to the table I will "drop" my fork, crouch under the table and skewer the fox's feet from below. When the fox is in pain, it will no doubt lash out at the nearest visible threat, who will no doubt be Alexander. At least I would hope it does, before she calls for help. After that, I will mourn. Then I will run home and mourn at grandfather's box whilst inspecting it for signs of accepting the kill.

I'd rather keep my hands clean, but alas. Perhaps in a moment I'll stand up and discretely upset the fox, but for now I must wait until eyes are facing away from me, as they usually do in time.

These blankets are delightful in their blatancy. I must ask Millie of their make.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 4, 2014

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Hot: +1 Cold: -1 Volatile: -1 Dark: +2
Harm 0 | Exp 0+1 | Conditions: N/A

"Not to be rude, Miss Yates, but you're looking rather dismayed. I do trust you're enjoying yourself at a party not of your own making?"

Poor Millicent. I commend her for her effort, but throwing me off my guard with such a pitiful attempt means she either vastly underestimates my manners or overestimates her own superiority. "Oh, of course. I'm just delighted with how you've set everything up here," I respond casually from under my parasol. I haven't partaken of the buffet table - who knows where it's been - but I've accepted some tea, as is only proper. "Really though, Millicent, you ought to keep your pets on a leash. Anybody who is anybody knows that it's simply not done for animals to mingle with the guests. And certainly not for the buffet table. I can understand that you find some familiarity with them on some base level, and it's charming, in a way."

I give her my best smile, beatific in the way my pearly-white, perfect teeth line up. Yet another reminder of how different she is from me. "But really if you expect to entertain people of class, you ought to strive to be more like them."

Shut Down at 2d6+2=10. Giving Millicent the condition Uncivilized.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Danielle

Patrice just prattles on and on and on, until she realises -- just for a moment, just for a short spell, because SURELY Mlle Desjardins is fetching and engaging and an amazing conversationalist -- that you just fell prey to the briefest of distractions. Snap! go her white-gloved fingers before your face, WHICH IS TOTALLY NOT RUDE OR ANYTHING BECAUSE IT IS DEF A CUSTOM OF THE FRENCH FROM FRANCE, A FARAWAY LAND WITH ALIEN CUSTOMS.

"So, tres bien, merveilleux, oui?" She....looks impossibly pleased with herself.

Madeline

"Pity. Oh, I suppose dear Millie would be disinclined to lend out the help, anyways. It is not quite the same as setting out plates of food or casks of...oh, have you tried the wine? It is just lovely. A bit simple, a bit unrefined -- something like a few of the ladies here, aha --" Here, Ophelia leans in with a carnivorous and more-than-slightly-drunken smile-- "Certainly not as flavourful as I imagine you to be. But, pleasant nonetheless.~"

[You might have caught a glimpse of someone who, at least from the back, looks like Ms Joysey, in the midst of some kind of chat with Katarina. They're far enough away that you can't quite be sure, but surely you could find some reason to approach, mm? Except...]

"Now, darling," Ophelia drains the rest of her drink in one hearty gulp and casually makes the quartet of discarded wine glasses a quintet. "Won't you clean this dreadful mess up for me? There's a good girl."

Elisabeth

"Oh, yes! The things you said...my word, your verbiage would put a pirate to shame--" Victoria's eyes drift off to a row of flowers, two parts bashfulness to one part admiration--"...but I am quite certain I saw you, and I am certain you said you--oh, I shouldn't say that, aah....you said you trounced some malcontents, that's it! And perhaps it was the drink, but your demeanor seemed so different from--" Oh. Oh, boy. Her eyes fall to the papers in your hands, skimming and scanning, and they get very big very fast.

"....is that...." Her hands clasp together. Her voice comes out hushed, hesitant, as though the conversation had become some exchange of dire state secrets. "...a new manuscript? Is it finished, or, or are you still....oh, may I watch you write? May I please? Oh, I'd give anything for such an opportunity!" Well, gosh. Doesn't that just tug at your heartstrings?

Annabelle

You are distracted from your TERRIBLY CLEVER PLOT by a hand impatiently tugging at your sk--okay, not literally tugging at your skirts, but insistently yanking on some part of you all the same. "Annabellllllllllle," Golly whines, "I'm bored. This is so dreadfully *boring*. I want to go. May we go? May we please?" Alexie, for her part, is starting to meander around a bit, having a leisurely look at the many, many, many flowers in the Norwood garden. (spoiler alert: there are a lot.)

The fox yaaaaaaaaawns, belly full.

Evangeline

"....oooh!" She seethes and scrunches up her face and snarls. "How dare you! How dare you come to my grand garden soiree and say such awful things and....and speak to me as though coaxing a cat!"

Fuming and gesticulating wildly, that absolutely absurd hat of hers flopping about, Millie adds, "I, I wouldn't even know anything about pets at the dinner table or leashes or....o-or any of those dreadfully unladylike pursuits with which the women at your garden-parties are so familiar!"

oooooh, it's on now.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Eliza, the Unchained
Hot +1, Cold -1, Volatile +2, Dark -1
Harm 0/4; Exp 1/5; Conditions: (Other Self)

"You've read my work. Did my conduct disturb you? How else, do you suppose, should I enlighten myself to the activities of those not normally bound to their household? Hrm?

Shut Someone Down , giving her the condition "Puritan", and awaiting one in return.
Krysmbot Jolinaxas, 7+1 = 8

This poor girl doesn't know what she's asking. Add to that her implicit distaste for "my" night-time activities, and her desire becomes even more tragic. Still, perhaps Eliza would know better what to do at this party than lay around moping, hoping Evangeline would come by.

"If you insist. I must tell you, I often become quite focused on my work once I've started. I don't know how entertaining the watching of such work may be. Come closer - you won't be able to see."

After her quick escape from Tortuga, Eliza once again found herself listless at sea, her only means of entertainment being the occasional triumph at the card-table...

Becoming her Other Self

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 16, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Madeline Adkins
Hot: +0 Cold: -1 Volatile: +1 Dark: +1
Harm 0|4 Exp 0->1|5 Conditions: Impertinent

"Oh, uh, yes ma'am. I-I'll get right on that." Alright. All Madeline has to do now is clean up a few glasses and she can put this all behind her. She just bends over (she would take a knee, but grass stains are such a hassle to wash out of this dress) and sets down her platter (a bit rougher than necessary, but none of the glasses fell) and begins placing the discarded wine glasses among their fellows on the tray. She just needs to make sure this all looks presentable and she can go on her way. Perhaps Ms Joysey will want a little wine herself...

Of course, Madeline is too busy making her plans to consider the full implications of pointing her rear at a rather saucy lady that has already shown much interest in her. Or of the fact that the slight swaying of her hips as she tries to keep her balance causes her to brush against Ms Amberly every few seconds. Or the fact that far more people than just Ms Amberly can see what she's doing right now.

Since Ophelia is obviously interested, I might as well try to unintentionally Turn Her On so I can get a bit of leverage over her. Turn Someone On: 2d6 5 Well, at least I get 1 XP from rolling Hot, right?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Hot: -1 Cold: 1 Volatile: 1 Trespass/Forgiveness: 0/0
Harm 0|4 Exp 1|5

My eyes reluctantly and dully return to Patrice's self satisfied smile. For a long moment, I don't say anything. These humans have deplorable manners! But it isn't their fault! They can't possible avoid wanting to be near me, after all. If only this one wasn't eating all my attention...

The decision made, ready to give the young frenchwoman a piece of my mind, I raise my hand, curling it into a fist...and promptly trip over my skirts. "drat!" I swear (my apologies Father!) as I stagger to catch my balance, cursing the ridiculous of human clothing and ESPECIALLY human heels.

So going to roll Volatile and lash out physically at Patrice because she's tres rude. 2d6+1 and I get...a 4...

Well, I guess I mark an xp for rolling Volatile though, yeah?

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 16, 2014

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Annabelle Doyle

Ooh, that Golly. Why must I be the one babysitting when I'm clearly the socialite of this family in comparison to Alexie? "Go on and see what Alexie has to say about it," I tell him. I've spent upwards of ten years seeing to his growth, dear Alexander. Now you may begin returning the favour.

My incredibly thought-out plan now commences as I trot to the table with the offending animal. Gently, I begin picking up a cake and fork, then let the fork slip out of my fingers into the grass. Oh my, how clumsy of me. My lackadaisical demeanor has once again proven my downfall! Now I am forced to tarnish my skirt with grass stains as I descend under the table to--Facade complete, I pick up the runaway fork and peek out the other side where the fox's tail ought to drape. With just the tiniest prod, I would think the creature would go into a blood frenzy. I only hope
that but this blow
Might be the be-all and the end-all

And may my gloves be cleaner than that of the source material.

Lash out physically against... the fox.
<Krysmbot> RWT_Gone, 3+1 = 4

Wait, where is its tail? Oh, you stupid girl!

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Hot: +1 Cold: -1 Volatile: -1 Dark: +2
Harm 0 | Exp 1 | Conditions: N/A

I sip my tea, careful and composed while Millicent sputters. How is anyone supposed to take her seriously if she can't even master the art of conversational dueling? Under the judging eyes of onlookers, what else is there to think but that it is our lovely host who is being unladylike, no matter her accusations? I rise from my chair, putting down the cup with perfect poise. "My dear Millicent, I will not stand here and be insulted in such a dreadful fashion. If your idea of entertainment is to be a bully, you clearly have much to be educated on. Good day." And with that, I incline my head and walk away to join the other ladies in attendance. Perhaps one of them will prove for more enjoyable company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

Bumping so this doesn't go into archives. Going to try and pick it up after this week-ish.

• Locked thread