Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

This friday is the major update for mounts in Icarus! :toot:

p hyped, been playing a lot of Prometheus and it's been a lot of fun. Way, way better entry point that Olympus is, shame it's locked behind an expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gonna say fallou 76 is actually pretty fun. Its a bit light on the survival stuff. Its not super hard to keep yourself fed and watered, but the exploration and junk collecting and the amount of stuff you can craft does add a lot. They've patched it and added new content to it regularly so there's a lot of stuff to do.

Its on sale for 10bux all the time so i've gotten more than my money's worth out of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah but I really dont want to encourage Todd anymore though

that and its online only

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 25, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Pax Dei has crafting difficulty levels and if you fail you lose most/all of the mats involved. It's also never clear what can be harvested except for poo poo that's already on the ground, I looked around and swung my pick at all the rocks and none of them were interactable. The basic wood axe you unlock can only cut half of the tiniest trees, the others are "too hard". You have to find clay and flint somehow to work up to a furnace and various other crafting tools. There doesn't appear to be an inventory weight limit, but you only have a limited number of inventory spaces and the max stack levels are hilariously low. You need iron and/or some other mats to make the most basic storage containers, so if you've been picking up various mushrooms, berries, animal bits, "lol"

I can't think of anything it does well except maybe that recipes unlock when you've gotten a mat involved in them.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm playing through FO:NV for the first time, and it's weird that there's not really a bunch of more Fallout-like survival games. Like I'm aware Fallout 76 exists but it was bad and also other than that I mean. Like I'd probably play a 7DTD that was Fallout-like instead of exclusively zombies.

It's weird cause it's always been that way..the post apoc setting is crazy popular and versatile, but there's so few good games that really make use of it.

I've loved fallout since the original game and I've always wanted a fallout type, actual, hardcore survival game.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

stringless posted:

Pax Dei has crafting difficulty levels and if you fail you lose most/all of the mats involved. It's also never clear what can be harvested except for poo poo that's already on the ground, I looked around and swung my pick at all the rocks and none of them were interactable. The basic wood axe you unlock can only cut half of the tiniest trees, the others are "too hard". You have to find clay and flint somehow to work up to a furnace and various other crafting tools. There doesn't appear to be an inventory weight limit, but you only have a limited number of inventory spaces and the max stack levels are hilariously low. You need iron and/or some other mats to make the most basic storage containers, so if you've been picking up various mushrooms, berries, animal bits, "lol"

I can't think of anything it does well except maybe that recipes unlock when you've gotten a mat involved in them.

I wrote a pretty scathing post in the MMO thread. I thought it was an MMO because they say it is, and repeatedly mention how you can play solo, it is best to team up.

quote:

Yeah, it's still a long long way from cooked, even though it looks pretty nice.

I guess it is an alpha (whatever that means) but I've no idea what the MMO angle is since it just drops you into a typical survival type of scenario. They have underlined the multi player MMO angle so I should really investigate. Gonna have a dig through the discord and see how to join up as the single player life wasn't much fun today. Here's what I discovered as a lone player..

Crafting is not explained, some stuff unlocks other stuff, but no indication what. Even just chopping some trees is a loving pain as you often end up just flailing at it.
The few things I've unlocked have taken a lot of time and haven't really given me much. No armor, no building stuff other that the basic benches etc. Just unlocked a bow, but to build it needs stuff that I've no idea how to get. That's a general frustration tbh. Again, I guess because it is an alpha.
Oh, no crafting from storage. Some games release fully in the same state, either way it is unforgivable imo (looking at you Nightingale)
Crafting can fail! gently caress this bullshit forever, either unlock it, or not, I don't want to gamble.
Unless I'm missing it, you either craft 1 item, or the whole stack. I can see no way to do only a few, it is 1 or all.
You have to sit and wait for the stuff to complete (or not). lmao

I may be doing it wrong, but my plot that I have put down isn't the re-spawn. The re-spawn isn't that far away, but it is annoying. You drop your stuff if you die (I loving hate that) and even though you don't have to go back to the exact spot to get it all back, it is close enough to your grave that while you try and grab you poo poo, the same pack of wolves will kill you again. Ugh.
Only combat I've done is stabbing rabbits with a pointy stick. Stabbing an old boar with a pointy stick, and being murdered by 3 wolves. Repeatedly.

Plays smoothly and looks pretty but I've got a high end system, I think it might not be the same for lower rigs maybe.

I'll post back again once I join a guild since a few of these things (and the grind) will be improved I hope.

Then I felt bad because I'd pissed on the game a bit and not even tried to team up...

quote:

So, I thought I'd try joining a guild since single player is a chore.
The in game guild finder doesn't say if the ones listed are on a any particular server. The advertisements have no info at all other than the name and player count. Most are 1 or 2 players, max I've seen is 9. Looks like I'm teaming up with some random Gamers. gently caress me

--edit--

Just remembered that I have lots of good games I can be playing instead, gently caress this poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For Delta-V, its been a year and change since I last played it, but it wasn't too hard to get into. I'll poke around tonight and see if I can find a decent guide video.

Ostranauts, meanwhile, actually just landed on my LIDAR as well and I found this half-decent and relatively recent tutorial series for it:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLhsp-kPC2hjpVPU7zqK0vnVNwT5Y6J9v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1jHgAhaUGA

I was thinking about poking my toe into the pool because I crave a good scavenger survival experience.

I love games where I can be a rat rooting around in trash for widgets to build things I need to survive. For some reason I just find games where you're salvaging, retrofitting, restoring, and repurposing junk more satisfying than survival games where you're digging out ore and cutting down trees for the materials you need (though I do love many of those games too).

Ive been playing it lately and while it's still jank as heck, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Taking a break and waiting for the next update which should add environmental hazards, like fires etc. should be fun. :3

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The "craft max" bit actually made sense in combination with the failure chance and the fact that you can't move around while crafting, so you just wait til you finally get as many as you need then stop the process.

It is still very bad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ive been playing it lately and while it's still jank as heck, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Taking a break and waiting for the next update which should add environmental hazards, like fires etc. should be fun. :3

Yeah I saw that focus for the next update and immediately thought “oh no… Apollo 1..!”. :ohdear:

Any tips for a beginner? Nothing too “do this to break the game over your knee” but more “I wish I had known this at the start!”

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Any tips for a beginner? Nothing too “do this to break the game over your knee” but more “I wish I had known this at the start!”

You can get both a welder and a crowbar for free by exploring the KLEG dock (The map you start on).

If you come out of character creation with at least $5000+ you can buy a salvage license off the bat, protecting you from the local police hip-checking your ship into the void when attempting to dock and giving you access to a decent 'buys everything at middling value' shop. Otherwise you'll need to run odd jobs or run with your transponder off while salvaging, salvage really far from KLEG, and either sell to the black market or for pennies on the scrap terminal.

Gig Nexus terminals offer said randomly generated side jobs, and are a good way of making money on the side, but anything too close or too far will generally be not worth the effort. Tasks that take place entirely on a single station are only enough to pay for docking fees usually, and are probably only included as a way to get yourself out of a hole. Tasks further than ~1000km are going to require you to sit and do nothing for a long time. Tasks measured in au are only technically doable; long distance burn drives are not implemented yet.

There is a black market dealer in the bar on KLEG, he'll buy big ticket items at a much better price than the license terminal if you can convince him to let you trade, but is only interested in big ticket items. Character generation events can give you an edge in this, or even auto-allow you to trade. Use zones to trade with him properly.

Use zones, you can set them up from your PDA, barter zones will act like your carrying whatever is in them when trading (whether or not they are on the same map as you), haul zones will let either AI crew or you while running on auto, automatically drag marked salvage into them from the docked ship.

You don't need all the tools, some are direct upgrades. The grinder replaces the hacksaw, the laser torch replaces the grinder AND the soldering iron AND the welder. The drill replaces the screwdriver. That means a full maxed out kit is only a laser torch, a drill, and a crowbar.

The hacking skill is very useful, and only available to get during character creation for yourself afaik, though you can hire an AI crew who knows how to hack instead. Hacking a door is significantly faster than factory resetting it, and you can unlock PDA's to nab valuable files for an extra income source.

If you keep getting pegged for late fees, but don't see them in your payees, they're hiding on previous shift pages, you'll have to navigate back to them.

If you got a starter ship without proper life-support, make sure to buy some oxygen candles to replace your atmo after docking with a wreck.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For Delta-V, its been a year and change since I last played it, but it wasn't too hard to get into. I'll poke around tonight and see if I can find a decent guide video.

My experience was that what looks like complexity initially is mostly side-grades and customization. I don't really think there's an optimal way to play, just scoop up rocks and sell them. There are a couple of random event-type things that give you the opportunity to sell at higher prices without having to end your run, but the only get-rich-quick strategy I saw essentially involves day trading on the commodities market and sleeping the rest of the time (so not really playing the game at all).

The game is really forgiving about bailing you out of worst-case scenarios and parts can be fully refunded so you can pretty easily start a campaign and work it out as you go without needing to start over at any point.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, Delta-V is mostly about side grades and experimenting with different equip to find your personal style and preferences. The fact you get a full refund when selling back gear really helps with encouraging such experimentation. At the end of my play ola year ago I was flying the K24 (the smaller version of the starter ship) with a cargo van sling in the side with a processor in the internal bay and a salvage arm for grabbing ore and the occasional derelict. Meanwhile some people buy massive boats of ships and just kinda float gently along using a swarm of micro drones to go grab rocks to feed into their maw.

Jawnycat posted:

Ostranauts stuff

Some good info there even if I had already picked up some of it from that tutorial series I linked, thank you.

After a few rerolls I made a hopefully pretty good character with a Tetsudo Dream as the starting ship. Did some courier gigs in-station get the cash to buy a daily salvage permit and a few tools/battery chargers and went out for my first derelict.

The one I chose was apparently a fairly large, circular vessel, but unfortunately was pretty trashed, including a room in the center filled with holes and lots of various scrap/debris that I assume was the ship’s reactor. Still rummaging around the ship’s bins and scores me an (empty) pistol, a damaged EVA helmet (which I fixed), and a couple PDAs, which I hack and pull some files off of. I also ripped out several bins and racks (too many actually) and fitted them into my ship for storage. The best of the mediocre salvage was a trio of RCS units, but two were damaged so I started gathering up the scrap and scatted parts to repair them. At that point I noticed I was being scanned by a local patrol, no big deal, I thought, I’ve got a valid salvage permit.

However I soon got an alert I was being hailed and it was the patrol demanding I undock from the derelict and stand-off to be boarded. I comply and they come aboard and give me a classic “Do you know why you’ve been pulled over?” opener, even in space some things never change I guess. :rolleyes: After a brief bit of awkward exchanges I flash my valid salvage permit and after confirming it, the cop basically leaves immediately, lol. I guess I thought the scan would show me on a list of registered salvagers for the day and they would not have to board to look at the physical copy of the permit… well they are cops, maybe they just wanted to hassle an honest breaker anyways…

I decide not to restock with the derelict since my battery was about half charge and start repairing those RCS units I yanked instead. But only a few minutes later I get a hail, a ship has run out of fuel and would like me to help since I’m nearby. I’m about to switch over to the nav screen to locate and approach them when I realize I recognize the callsign on the message, it’s the security patrol that just hassled me.

For a moment I figure I’ll help out anyways, it might not hurt to have a security officer owe me a favor, then I remind myself that ACAB and chuckle to myself as I ignore them and orient and burn a leisurely approach to K-Leg. I’m sure K-Leg has an emergency response service that can assist them! :v:

I get back to K-Leg, sell the three RCS units for ~2.5k each at the legit salvage terminal and go down to Mescaform to chat up the TotallyNotABlackMarketGoBetween for the second time, hoping to eventually earn his trust and access to the real salvage resale market.

And that’s about where I left off before getting ready for work. I’m already idly musing on what changes and expansions I want to my make to my ship. I especially want to see if I can use those logic boxes to make a proper airlock that actually drains atmosphere back into the ship rather than just letting it blast out into the void. Maybe set up a sealed cargo bay attached directly to the airlock that I can vent the whole storage bay once I get an EVA suit. But maybe I’m worrying overmuch about how much atmosphere that’s costing me.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 25, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

the Laika update just dropped for Icarus! Huge content update adding talent trees for all the mounts, AND adding in the ability to tame wolves, boars, and hyenas, each with their own talent trees! You can also order chickens and sheep from orbit via the workshop go full rancher if ya want. Also can bring your companions back to orbits to bring them to new open world sessions or on missions without losing them inbetween.

It's kinda fuckin' cool, adds a bunch more buildings and deployables for taking care of your animals, and way more feed options. Only gripe is that one of the two DLCs in their bundles is where you can get proper Cats, Dogs and Horses. I wouldn't be surprised if they're just reskins of the base game animals, but I'll do some digging to see if they have any unique stuff. The cat sounds the most unique... dang it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Glad you're having fun! Just keep in mind the stock prices change on both the legal and black market so pay attention. The black market's demand also fluctuates. They're where you can sell data files too. Dont erase ones you cant sell for anything, they may come back in demand at a later date. And yeah, sometimes wrecks are REALLY trashed and only good to salvage for walls and hulls and components.

I was thinking of designing a ship from scratch. With the airlock becoming more of a docking point and the main area where it connects to any ships I'm salvaging would just be an open to vacuum storage sled. That way I'm not wasting time and atmosphere dragging salvage further into my ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Synthbuttrange posted:

I was thinking of designing a ship from scratch. With the airlock becoming more of a docking point and the main area where it connects to any ships I'm salvaging would just be an open to vacuum storage sled. That way I'm not wasting time and atmosphere dragging salvage further into my ship.

I was thinking of expanding my dream to basically have the airlock connected directly to a modest sized salvage hold and set up some turbo pumps connected to a signal box(es) where with a push of a button both airlock and hold can be depressurized for EVA suit work while the rest of the ship stays pressurized.

Something kinda like this:

[edit] Every once in a while I'll see a little spark on my ship. At first I thought it was just damaged wiring or machinery, but after doing a pretty thorough cleanup and fixup of my ship, I noticed its still happening. Now I'm wondering if those are actually micrometer strikes? They do seem to occur more often when I'm moving the ship.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 26, 2024