Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
"Olga is next door, though she might be sleeping. I think she hit the sauce a bit early after what she saw, poor thing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

"I can imagine. The crime scene was a mess." Tsarevna says without much emotion. "So why did you send her in there?"

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"I had a prior engagement with Kai and when he did not show up I was worried. I assumed it was just a bender, but I wanted her to make sure he was okay."

He takes another drag off the cig.

"Sometimes he gets so bad he doesn't even make it to the bed. Olga is traumatized by the whole thing."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

"Trolls are tougher than your average fable, I am sure she will recover." She states. "And we do not suspect alcohol has a direct relation to the case." She wasn't giving much away, least of all through her flat voice. "What was this prior engagement concerning? And when did you arrange it with Kay?" Tsarevna continues the line of questioning, stonefaced. "Why did you think to send Olga to check up on Kay instead of going yourself, Charming?"

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Johannes Hummel

"Buffkin, you're my good friend but I think we both know sometimes you're a very bad mischievous monkey. It'd be a horrible shame if while we were interviewing Mr. Charming you were to go through his cupboards, drink all his liquor, piss in his sugar, and incidentally look for anything suspicious like recording equipment, sacks of cash, ledgers or magical gewgaws wouldn't it?"

Content to let Tsarevna take the lead in the interrogation, Johannes tapped the flying monkey on the shoulder and murmured very quietly to him with a twinkle in his eye.

"Charming's old fashioned, so I imagine he's got the best stuff hidden behind a painting or a false bottom or something. Maybe a hokey false book or hollow statue. I wouldn't put it past you (or blame you) if somebody happened to drop a load of feces in some hidden drawer around here. Because of mischievousness."

I think Buffkin came with. Can I talk him into being a little guided monkey missile to flip Charming's house while we're chatting him up? Wits+Persuasion? How stealthy he wants to do it or not is up to him, but the implication is that as pals I'm totally going to cover for him. (which I am) Here's hoping that I'm persuasive enough and the monkey is clever enough to find secrets without necessarily knowing what they are. Also please find a secret compartment/drawer and poop in it for Charming to find later tia -Johannes

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
We're interviewing Charming in his flat, IIRC

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Are you searching his place while he is in it to intimidate him?"

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

I was hoping if the monkey were to wander out of sight for a bit, poke around and open some cabinets before breaking dishes etc. we could use it as an excuse to search the place under the pretext of looking for damage or hidden parcels of poop. Because Johannes would take full responsibility for taking his eye of the naughty monkey and replace all of the losses out of pocket for the lapse (with an itemised list of course in order to possibly file a report). If it happens to rattle Charming while Tsarevna's sweating him that's even better, but my intent is mainly to give Buffkin an excuse to make a mess and use that as an excuse ourselves. It's probably a big flat with lots of rooms right?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
We don't need an excuse to search his apartment, just go ahead and do it!

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Being a dick to Prince Charming and having a monkey poop in his socks drawer was an implied, secondary goal of my plan.:twisted:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ella

She keeps toward the back of the elevator and is face of a permanent sneer, at that point best to keep quiet than start another huge argument. Moving darkly, Ella keeps toward the edges of the room, she knew what Charming does to some best to not chance it, was her thought. Upon hearing Olga was available, the troll seemed to concern her more than Charming, "We will have to see to Olga after this" Ella says flatly, guarded against the prince.

Ella watches Charming at a glance and starts moving toward the opposite side of the room looking for any electronic or places that he could have to watch the camera, if there was a camera why that act? Instead of just saying he kept an eye on Kay.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

"If I am to find this killer my time is precious, I do not appreciate being stalled with silence."

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Charming is aghast at Tsarevna. He tries to pay no mind to the flying monkey breaking everything but he clearly is bothered.

"Some people are only trolls on the outside Tsarevna. Some are actual people on the inside."

He takes another puff of the cigarette.

"I sent Olga because I always send Olga. That's what she does, she goes places I don't want to be. Kay and I had a deal on the side. I played the part of a PI with incredible panache, and Kay did the dirty work. We do high class poo poo, purely word of mouth."

He takes another smoke.

"The emperor has privately hired us a few times off the books to get dirt on nosey mundy's, we just expanded the business to a for profit venture. Olga was there to pick up our portion. Kay was more than glad to let me be the face and to pocket most the cash."

He takes one large puff.

"We reported this to you immediately. I appreciate your thorough nature, but we have nothing to hide and your time is better spent elsewhere."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

"Not that you would know anything about being an actual person on the inside." Tsarevna counters rather coldly, staring daggers down at Charming. "So you didn't want to be seen with Kay? Odd arrangement for business partners." She notes, putting her hands behind her back. "Or, perhaps, you did not want to be seen with his body?" She leaves to dangle in the air.

"And what did Kay get out of this deal? He despised using his powers, getting paid for it does not seem to alleviate that." Tsarevna is quick to follow up with. "He was still living in his hovel, he was still horribly depressed, and he had enough booze to drink himself to death with. This does not seem like the opportunity he needed to lift himself up out of the gutter, Charming. What did you do to cajole him into aiding you?"

The constant puffing on the smokes was just starting to trying Tsarevna's nerves. "Regardless, abdicating and shoving Cinderella into getting chained to a desk purely so you can turn a profit is not going to ingratiate you to the Business Office." She helpfully points out. "Even if the Naked One values you and your work, Kay dying kills the person who was actually doing your job. And that makes you close to worthless now." She finally breaks a small smile. It was not one that you'd want to see from somebody like her. "Pursuant to our investigation, I will need you to turn over a full client list and cooperate fully in providing us with details of every job you two had undertaken."

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Johannes Hummel

"Buffkin! What a bad and misbehaving young monkey! I'm so VERY sorry Mr. Charming, this is all my fault entirely. I'll pay for all of the damages out of pocket in recompense, I promise. I'm just going to go ahead and start making a list of the damages, and see what I can-"

Johannes winced as an antique and undoubtedly irreplaceable plate from the Homelands flew through the air and smashed against a Tiffany glass lamp. He shouted as he hurried along after the little blue monkey, who adroitly leaped to a nearby counter and swept its contents to the floor.

"Buffkin!"

He continued under his breath as Buffkin grinned back.

"He's probably got a secret wine cellar or magical golden singing cask hidden away someplace. Let's get a move on."

Wits (3) +Investigation (4) is what I've got. Time to toss the place under the pretext of chasing a bad blue monkey like a pastiche of Curious George and Sherlock. Anybody else who wants to help out or offer a new angle feel free to jump in.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Charming does not seem to flinch.

"By 'places I don't want to be', I mean working. I don't work. It's...beneath me. I mean, why be a Prince if you can't be a Prince?"

He loves the cigarette he's smoking.

"If I somehow knew ahead of time of his demise, I did a pretty piss poor job covering it up by sending someone"

He pulls out a ledger that is beautifully crafted, probably worth more than everything you own.

"It's yours, all accounts"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

"There is more to statecraft than chasing after and bedding women, Charming. And you do not even do that well." Tsarevna says dispassionately, flicking through the ledger for a moment before handing it off to Ella. "You did send Olga to check on Kay, true." She concedes. "But on the other hand, you did not disclose your partnership with Kay." She slowly follows up with. "And neither did Victor Hummel, who seemed quite determined to conceal his relationship to your partnership."

With the subtly of a brick through a window, Tsarevna makes notice of the blood covering her sleeves. "But I managed to convince him otherwise."

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Johannes Hummel

Johannes nodded towards an oil portrait of the Prince, and stepped back as the little blue monkey gleefully hurled a handful of feces straight into Charming's characteristically smug smile. He tipped the painting, looking behind it for a sign of a wall safe and running his fingers along the frame for other signs of a hidden catch as he'd done with the rest of the room.

"My gracious I do hope this doesn't stain through. I'm given to understand that these oil canvases are very fragile..."

Think I'm using the right notation and die. Correct me if I'm wrong? Either way, time to search for anything possibly suspicious.

Wits (3) + Investigation (4) Search the flat while monkey-chasing: 7#1d10 2 3 8 8 8 1 3

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

Tired of the subtle talk and detective games, Tsarevna screams and grabs Prince Charming. With no effort, she slams him into and then through a nearby bookcase. "There's been a murder in Fabletown!! One of our own! It has been our job as Sheriffs to keep Fabletown safe, and my job to keep my Sheriffs safe." She growls, pinning Charming firmly to the wall and whatever broken bookshelf was stuff behind him.

"And now I have failed on both counts and all leads point to it being your fault!" She, with her free arm, grabs Charming's arm and starts to squeeze. Hard. "YOU were his business partner in whatever clandestine bullshit you two were up to! You set up cameras from Victor's store to watch him constantly! And now he took a bullet to the head because of the work you did!" She then starts to pull Charming's arm as well. "The method of execution cannot be available to many, or carried out by many. You give me names and leads, now, or you'll be called the Ugly Prince Duckling when I'm through with you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Johannes Hummel

"Oh Tsarevna, no. What will we do if you cripple him for life like you did Victor? Please stop and think of the consequences."

Johannes looked up from his search, slowly and deliberately made eye contact with Charming before resuming. He didn't smirk or smile, and his voice was generically neutral as he raised an unstrenuous objection.

Here's my token objection for the sake of somebody having to say it. Wishbone that son of a bitch! Is this game still a thing? It'd be great if it was, it was a really fun idea.

• Locked thread