Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The land of the samurai.

There was a time long ago when the country of Japan was called by that name. However, all that changed twenty years ago, with the arrival of a collection of alien races known as the Amanto who sought to take our land for themselves. The samurai of the nation fought against the aliens for years, but eventually, the Tokugawa Shogunate relented and surrendered. The terms of surrender involved an unequal treaty being written up which allowed the Amanto to enter Japan and placed a ban on carrying swords in public. Eventually, the Shogunate became nothing more than a puppet government of the Amanto. In the years that followed, the Amanto brought their technology to Japan, changing the capital of Edo into a galactic hub and drastically altering the way the citizens lived their lives. Stripped of their blades, the samurai class fell into decline. Many became homeless vagabonds, while some managed to find a place in society. However, few still carry the spirit of the samurai in their hearts to this day.

But who the hell cares about that, this week's issue of Jump comes out today and you have to get to the newsstand. You are citizens of Edo, human or otherwise, and you're just trying to live your life peacefully. However, in a city like Edo, that's not always possible.

How does your soul shine, I wonder?

Welcome to the world of Gintama! This series popularized in Shonen Jump is a comedy set in a world where aliens have turned Edo period Japan into modern-day Japan with a samurai coat of paint and a few flying cars. There's always something happening in Edo, and now, you're going to get involved. If you want to get a feel for Gintama, the anime can be watched for free on Crunchyroll. (May be region dependent) You can just watch any episode, as the series is almost entirely episodic with little continuity.

Recommended episodes: 1/2, 7, 25, 29, 31/32, 34/35, 40-42

This is going to be a Fate Accelerated game, structured as a series of one-shot episodes sharing a cast of characters. You'll start off as a group of strangers brought together by chance. Then you'll be a group of acquaintances brought together by chance. Then you may become friends. No guarantees.

Character creation is standard FAE chargen, but in place of one of your three free aspects, I want you to add an aspect known as your Motto. This is basically your character's main philosophy in life. In Gintama tradition, it can be something profound, like "Always fulfill promises you make to old friends!" oooooooor it could be something like "Never drink milk after midnight!" Once per scene, you can use a fate point to invoke this motto and flip a bad roll.

Things to keep in mind

-You can choose to be either human or Amanto, as both occupy Edo in equal supply. When creating an Amanto, the sky's the limit, as Amanto come in all sorts of varieties. There are even races of Amanto that closely resemble humans.

-Your character can come from any walk of life. You could be an ex-samurai, an Amanto ambassador, or just some accountant. Chance has brought you all together, after all.

-Don't take yourself too seriously. After all, Gintama is at its core a comedy, with comedic characters. On the flip side, don't be afraid to be a straight man. Gintama loves to employ the boke/tsukkomi structure of comedy, where the punchline is the normal Joe shouting at his friends that THIS ISN'T RIGHT!

-While I'm not often going to directly reference the canon events of the Gintama series, we're not going to be disregarding the canon altogether. Who knows, maybe some familiar characters will show up?

Registration will run until next Saturday, August 16 or once I feel like I have enough applications, whichever comes first.

You can find me on SynIRC at #kabukicho

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Name: Kika

Concept: Sweet-Loving Tiny Alien Chef
Kika is an Amanto. Especifically, she's an Azmsa, a tiny woman, with huge ears, bright orange, with green hair and eyes, and a mouth that would make Pac-Man green with envy. She's a PROFESSIONAL CHEF, with plenty of PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, and attitude to spare.
She came to Earth because, as it happens, Earth has the highest percentage of desserts in the galaxy.
Invoke: Dinner's served! - It's so good!
Compel: Alien food is WEIRD man. - Tiny person in world meant for large people.

Trouble: Who's Afraid Of Dinner?
Kika will face down a kraken in order to get hold of its tentacles to make some takoyaki. Which is curious, because she's otherwise a pacifist and kind of a coward.
Invoke: Kika has faced scarier ingredients than you! - That looks raw. COOKING TIME!
Compel: That looks like an EXCELLENT ingredient! - Not dinner? RUN AWAY.

Motto: Never Harm Potential Clients.
Truly sentient beings are never part of the menu, because they might one day be her clientele!
… they may get food poisoning, but that's another matter entirely. She sometimes gets confused about what different species may or may not eat.
Invoke: Rest assured, all food is 100% human free!
Compel: Humans need iron in their diet, so Kika added nails!

Aspect: Can And Will Eat Anything
Her people's physiology lets them eat anything and everything that exists and a few things that DON'T. Kika will gnaw through a steel bar covered with poison with the same relish she will eat a chocolate cake. Of course, she may end up eating something she shouldn't…
Invoke: Nom nom nom. - Make a new door with your TEETH.
Compel: That was delicious! ... was it important? - Ate the nice china...

Aspect: A Hat For Every Occasion.
Hats, according to the Azmsa, are the best way to show what you are and what you do to the world, and those that don't wear a hat are likely not to be trusted. Kika's chef hat is her most prized item in the world! She also has many, many hats, that she seemingly pulls out of nowhere. Not having the right hat is unthinkable!
Invoke: She must know what she's talking about, she has a hat!
Compel: Who doesn't wear hats? LIARS.

Approaches:
Flashy +3
Quick +2
Forceful +2
Clever +1
Sneaky +1
Careful +0

Stunts

That Looks Delicious: Because I Can And Will Eat Anything, I get a +2 when I Forcefully overcome an obstacle that can get chewed past.

Kerzoro fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 11, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Just expressing my interest right now. I will have a character up soon. Man, this is a surprise, just saying.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Also expressing interest.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Cool, it's finally up! I'll think about some kind of app. I'm at otakon this weekend (surrounded by the morass of anime)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Fugisaka Tsubame

Concept: Hermit For Hire
Are bad fortunes holding you back? Do you need the favor of the spirit world? Or do you simply seek the wisdom of the old ways? If so, Fugisaka Tsubame is the woman for you! She has studied at the base of the Ōmine mountains for years, and she will gladly pass the knowledge she gained there on to you. For a fair price, of course, but is anything on this Earth truly free?

Trouble: A Poor Disciple, Sold Well
Alright, so Tsubame studied at the base of those mountains instead of the peak because she never reached a high enough rank to be allowed up. Maybe her knowledge of the scriptures is a bit hazier than she lets on. She can't just tell her clients that she's just some disciple that got tired of sitting out in the rain, after all. They'd never hire her if she did that. So instead she just kind of... upsells herself. Lets people think that she's some kind of grand sage. People pay more when they think you're an expert, you know. And that false aura of expertise is definitely never going to lead to her getting in way over her head. Absolutely zero chance of that.

Motto: The Spirits’ Aid Is Expensive
Well, technically it's Tsubame's aid in acquiring the spirit's aid that's expensive, but that doesn't roll off the tongue quite as well. Some people would say that her services are overpriced. These people have not realized how rich the people she's fleecing providing a valuable service to are.

Free: Can Endure, Not Will Endure
One of the core precepts of Tsubasa's sect is that enduring nature's hardships is the one true path to enlightenment. She gets that, she really does. She just realized something during the fourth week straight of sitting in the summer sun: she is still young. She'll have plenty of time to find enlightenment later. For now, she's just going to use an umbrella. (Or spend more energy setting up the umbrella than she would have if she just sucked it up and dealt with a little sun, as the case may be.)

Free: Been Everywhere, Wanted Nowhere
Tsubasa has traveled all across the land once known as Japan to sell her skills. She has met human and Amanto, rich and poor, familiar and foreign. But in all her travels, she has never found a place she truly felt at home. The city does not want her, she is too much of a reminder of Old Japan. The country does not want her, her tastes run too rich. The monks do not want her, for she is quite frankly a complete sell-out. And her employers, well, she really shouldn't stay around them for too long. She doesn't want them to uncover her lies, but she what she really fears is thinking that they are true herself.

Careful +3
Clever +1
Flashy +1
Forceful +2
Quick +0
Sneaky +2

Stunts:
Climbing Up The Waterfall: Because endurance is the path to enlightenment, +2 to Forcefully Overcome an Obstacle when you just put your head down and keep going at it no matter how hard it pushes back.
Kernels Of Wisdom: Because I know “ancient wisdom”, +2 to Carefully Create an Advantage, as long as it’s in the form of “homespun country wisdom”, a koan or some other similarly unclear form of advice.
Not What Tetsugen Meant: Because money is a transitory thing meant to be spent, once per session I can automatically buy one thing in a show of wealth that is both impressive and a complete waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You know what, I was gonna wait until Saturday for an upturn in activity, but I don't think that's going to come. I think I overestimated the appeal of this game, so the recruit is cancelled. Sorry and thank you to those who apped and expressed interest.

• Locked thread