Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A quick scan from the low-powered auspex shows nothing in the door is drawing electro-essence, but a handle on the latch proves the door to be locked. Still, the door is nothing fancy, looking to be a hollow shell of cheap metal. After a few moments of fumbling at the lock with his utility mechadendrite, the lock jams. Still, the door was only designed to keep the weather out, not a determined effort by a member of the mechanicus, no matter how young. The strain of his servo arm twisting the lock until it breaks barely registers as a drain on his potentia coil.

The door swings open to reveal a reception room behind it, several chairs and an empty desk illuminated by the late afternoon light streaming through the doorway. A cogitator sits, powered off, on one corner of the desk, and a door sits on either side of the desk.

Since you aren't expecting any immediate danger, and the auspex hasn't detected anyone in the vicinity (although all the ferrocrete and metal around means it is fairly regularly throwing false positives, so it's not worth relying on exclusively), you can choose to either go through here room by room, or you can do a speed search to collect what you can... or you can just say you look for a way into the fenced in yard. Just let me know how you want to do this.

Kai Tave, you can use your potentia coil to power any electronics in the building for several hours at a time, but will gain fatigue this way.

This appears to be a Defensible Building, with no ground floor windows and a fenced in yard, which means you can find ways to make this area secure if you choose to do so at some point.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Kamzin Azimov, Noviate Enginseer 2nd Class
25 Days Rations

Kamzin swore in a decidedly un-tech-priestly manner as the simple machine spirit within the door's lock proved intractable to the point of obstinance. "I'll make up for this later," he thought to himself, retracting his mechadendrite moments before moving his servo-arm into position with a soft whine, grabbing the lock with its hydraulic gripper and twisting.

That proved more persuasive.

+++Return+++ he vocalized to his servitor as the rest of the squad began to file into the reception office with lasguns held at various states of readiness. Fortunately nothing was waiting for them on the inside...no bloodthirsty gangers, no blasphemous revenants, no auto-defenses swinging their way (you never knew in a hive, security architecture was frequently and woefully non-standardized).

In fact, it actually seemed sort of...safe. Safe-ish anyway. A Department of Water office was nobody's idea of a valiant last stand but it was innocuous, out of the open, enclosed, and so far free of threats, which was nothing to spurn given the situation at hand. Reaching the other side of the ravine was still a priority but maybe they could use this as a temporary camp of sorts. Or even just a place to rest for a few hours while they scavenged in relative peace.

Slinging his lasgun over his shoulder he made his way behind the desk, muttering the Sacred Litany of Activation and pressing the activation rune on the cogitator. Nothing. "Power's dead," he said. "I can get the equipment here up and running if I have to...it won't last forever and it won't be fun, but I can do it. We ought to check this place out first though, make sure there isn't anything that's gonna sneak up on us while we're poking around."

I vote for searching room by room since we're not under any time pressure, assuming that this doesn't mean a literal string of one update per room explored. I'll hold off on powering the facility up until we've made sure it's clear.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I agree - given it's afternoon, we should probably wait until morning to move out, especially if we manage to snag a vehicle. Easier to spot movement, enemy forces and possible ambushes that way?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Lora

Placing her lasgun on the counter, Lora pulls out her canteen and takes a sip. "I don't like this," she says, fumbling to put the cap back on her water. "This is an Administratum building, there should be people here. It shouldn't be empty, the Administratum never stops. What could stop the Administratum?" She takes a breath, steadies her hand and gets the cap into place.

Room by room sounds good to me, maybe we can split into two teams.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Jerryn

Jerryn barely noticed Lora's excellently worded point. Why? Because there's only one thing on his mind.

Trucks. Trucks trucks. Truck truck truck truck LORRY trucks truck truck TRUCK TRUCK TRUCK TRUCKS!!!

Jerryn is simply beside himself at the thought of actually DRIVING something. So much so that he -

"Hey guys, I'm going to keep searching the place room by room. Barring that, it seems a pretty decent place to hold up for the night."

At this point, his mind and mouth intersect.

"TRUCKS!!!" he says, perhaps a tad too audibly.

Realizing his embarassment, he states "Sorry boss! Just looking forward to maybe finding us some decent hardware to drive us outta here."

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Sergeant-Curator Josh Dewely

Dewely smiles at Jerryn's exclamation, walks up to the counter and half-leans on it just beside Lora. He appears thoughtful for a few moments, before he speaks up, mostly to prevent Jerryn from skipping off to Emprah-knows-where on his own.

"We can look through the buildings as one team, secure the location, for the night at least, maybe more once we've figured out what's here, and then we set up guards at any entrances, taking normal shifts to rest for tonight. If we find any trucks, Jerryn and Kamzin can treat with their machine-spirits, see if they're in working order... but we're heading south, past the giant trench, at the moment. Lora's right, at any rate. This abandonment might not be just part of the normal evacuation. If you can spare some time and power once we get the building secure, Kamzin, I'd like it if you could look at some of the cogitators around here, see if anything strange has been reported to them. Why the viaduct is down, for example, and if we can get them up again if need be."

He gestures at the cogitator on the desk, before turning to look back at the tech-priest. The machine-man was turning out to be quite the asset.

"Kamzin, you have the know-how, so feel free to lead the way. Though I'm happy to take point and turn any locked doors over to you if you want."

Kamzin, pick a door if you want to go first! If not, I'll do it. All points made so far have been good, though I feel it's better to keep together as one group while we're exploring the place.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Kamzin Azimov, Noviate Enginseer 2nd Class
25 Days Rations

Kamzin nodded as Dewely gestured towards the powered down cogitator. "Yeah, I want to take a look through the databanks here too...once we make sure nobody's hiding in here, I mean. The Department of Water might have some Administratum municipal maps on file, and even if it's just viaducts and maintenance access tunnels it could be worth a few shortcuts. Hopefully."

Glancing at the two doors leading further into the building he shrugged, having no idea what the standard layout for a Department of Water office was or what might lie beyond, and nodded towards the door on the left, motioning to his servitor with his mechadendrite. +++Advance, watchdog protocols, maintain proximity.+++

Start with the door on the left and go from there. Kamzin'll have his servitor take point when possible, opening doors as needed along the way. Let's just keep going until we hit a roadblock, find something that merits a decision, or if we wind up clearing the place on the first go then I'll get cracking on giving this place some juice.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Walther Imrak, Heavy Gunner

As he waits for the last few men to enter the building, Walther digs in his pack until he finds what he's looking for.
Pulling out his lamp-pack, he lights it, before pulling the outer doors closed.

"Best not let anyone see we're here, eh?" He places the lamp-pack on the desk and indicates two other troopers. "You take yours out too, we'd better conserve the rest 'til we find somewhere to recharge them."

Providing overwatch while the rest of them check the rooms. After rummaging through the desk for any iho sticks, keys or valuables.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Sergeant-Curator Josh Dewely

"Hopefully," echoes Dewely at Kamzin, then chuckles good-naturedly at Walther as the man begins to casually rummage through the desk; instincts from a misspent youth, no doubt. He gives the heavy gunner a friendly nudge and nods in the tech-priest's direction.

"Might not have to save much on the L-Ps, though. I'm not well versed in the techno-spiritual, but as the enginseer here just offered to charge us up an entire building, I think that might do us for our lamps as well."

As the lathe-pattern servitor starts to head over to the leftmost door, the sergeant follows suit; though looking a little uncomfortable. If anything, XJ-0461's mostly-dead, yet still-mobile, husk creeps Dewely even more than Kamzin's own adornments of the faith. For now, however, he tries to put a lid on his distaste. The tech-priest has proven too useful to alienate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sorry guys, I've managed to completely burn myself out on PBP. Been trying to get myself to post in ANYTHING for a week, and I just can't get myself to do it. Going to go ahead and close this.

• Locked thread