Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Oh come on, announce this for the Bone. I don't want to have a two console house, just for one game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noirex
May 30, 2006

The giant arm thing was creepy but that screaming kid's expression is really very Junji Ito. It would be too good to be true but maybe Kojima will surprise us with more awesome news? I want to believe!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Is this going to be first-person or third-person?

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Is this going to be first-person or third-person?

They said as much that the PT demo was not indicative of how the final game would play, and given the fact that they're going through the trouble of getting Norman Reedus's likeness it's probably a safe bet that it's third person.

Personally I would be really bummed though if they lost the first person stuff from P.T. since it was so effective. My hope is that running around outdoors and moving the story forward is all 3rd person, while indoors and solving puzzles it then turns to first person. If they keep series staples like progressing through the school and the hospital it's easy for me to see them breaking up the game like that.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Dork457 posted:

They said as much that the PT demo was not indicative of how the final game would play, and given the fact that they're going through the trouble of getting Norman Reedus's likeness it's probably a safe bet that it's third person.

Personally I would be really bummed though if they lost the first person stuff from P.T. since it was so effective. My hope is that running around outdoors and moving the story forward is all 3rd person, while indoors and solving puzzles it then turns to first person. If they keep series staples like progressing through the school and the hospital it's easy for me to see them breaking up the game like that.

This would be a great compromise. It would be a shame to lose the incredible, personal atmosphere of PT if they went full third person mode.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Noirex posted:

This would be a great compromise. It would be a shame to lose the incredible, personal atmosphere of PT if they went full third person mode.

Yeah, that would be a pretty good compromise. Hell, just have it so you look like Reedus in the mirror if it comes to that.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Speedball posted:

Yeah, that would be a pretty good compromise. Hell, just have it so you look like Reedus in the mirror if it comes to that.

B-but I don't want to look into a mirror, something horrible will happen.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Has anyone translated the spoken Japanese in the beginning of the trailer yet? Should have some interesting tidbits to mull over.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I hope it's first person with 3rd person cutscenes, that'd be a good compromise. The atmosphere of PT was amazing, better then most horror games you pay $60 for.

Also, if it's first person they can let it use Project Morpheus/Oculus rift :unsmigghh:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Spalec posted:

I hope it's first person with 3rd person cutscenes, that'd be a good compromise. The atmosphere of PT was amazing, better then most horror games you pay $60 for.

Also, if it's first person they can let it use Project Morpheus/Oculus rift :unsmigghh:

poo poo I hope there aren't any cutscenes.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

The funniest joke would be if CGI Norman Reedus at the end of PT was the first and last time you ever see him, and he doesn't even have dialogue.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

mysterious frankie posted:

The funniest joke would be if CGI Norman Reedus at the end of PT was the first and last time you ever see him, and he doesn't even have dialogue.

What if Norman Reedus is actually one of the writers? :wth:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I'd be okay with this. He is one ugly fucker

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I'd be okay with this. He is one ugly fucker

I would too. They're selling me so hard on first person Silent Hill; over the Reed-man's shoulder style gameplay as he herky jerks his way around the map and does the generic "pick up from the ground" animation while getting an item off of a table will be a real letdown.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Oh come on, announce this for the Bone. I don't want to have a two console house, just for one game.

You can only have one console and you bought the XBONE. That's your problem right there and it's rooted deeper than you like.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

You can only have one console and you bought the XBONE. That's your problem right there and it's rooted deeper than you like.

I will fight u

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

See you can't even deny the system you truely want to get

The WiiU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Wheany posted:

What if Norman Reedus is actually one of the writers? :wth:
If this means we're actually playing as Kojima, I'd be hella down.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Macaluso posted:

See you can't even deny the system you truely want to get

The WiiU

yeah, maybe if I want baby scares that are meant for a baby.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Luigi's Mansion is for the 3DS yo'.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's no scare more pure than a scare meant for a baby

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

"It's-a me, Mario! Oh-a no-a; the candy-a store is-a out of-a candy! I'm-a terrified!"

Pfff, yeah right, Nintendo babies. Real scared. Scared of being bored to death.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Macaluso posted:

There's no scare more pure than a scare meant for a baby

OH JESUS KOJIMA WAS STANDING RIGHT THERE AND THEN HE DISAPPEARED OH GOD, HE'S GONE FOREVER

Oh! Yay! He's back! That's great!

OH GOD HE'S GONE AGAIN

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Fine, more Fatal Frame games for the rest of us.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

the candy-a store is-a out of-a candy!

Trigger warning that poo poo

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Hellburger99 posted:

For me it was the centipede kid. The expression on his face was pure Ito.

Yes, I know this is terrible evidence, but I want to believe, too.

Forget Ito what i would really be excited about is if the radio voice turned out to be the NOAA emergency weather report guy.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 18, 2014

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Riddick was a first-person game with a high-profile actor playing the main character.

But personally, I don't mind this one being in third person as I don't think it will take away much from my "experience".

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Broseph Brostar posted:

I remember when I hit the first cutscene in 5 and the game basically died for me right there.

I kind of hope whatever they make isn't in first person because if it is it'll take me like 6 months to beat the game playing it 20m a day. I get spooked easy because I am a baby and silent hill speaks to my deepest unrealized terror.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
When in doubt, gouge it out!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Fat Care-Bear posted:

Riddick was a first-person game with a high-profile actor playing the main character.

But personally, I don't mind this one being in third person as I don't think it will take away much from my "experience".

I like your av.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Guys, I can't. I just can't. I did and enjoyed SH 1-4 but this game I can't. There was a baby thing in a sink and a herky jerky thing jumped at me and doors opening and closing and I don't I can't I quit. No no no.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ColdPie posted:

Guys, I can't. I just can't. I did and enjoyed SH 1-4 but this game I can't. There was a baby thing in a sink and a herky jerky thing jumped at me and doors opening and closing and I don't I can't I quit. No no no.

Sounds like you're playing it right.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

ColdPie posted:

There was a baby thing

sounds like Eraserhead would be right up your alley m8er :smuggo:

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

ColdPie posted:

This game makes me want to play a survival horror game where the player has God Powers that can obliterate each nasty thing with a column of light from the heavens at the touch of a button. Make that bad monster shriek and flail around in agony as it disintegrates. Yeah, and another button to push back creepy ambiance.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Snow Job posted:

This game makes me want to play a survival horror game where the player has God Powers that can obliterate each nasty thing with a column of light from the heavens at the touch of a button. Make that bad monster shriek and flail around in agony as it disintegrates. Yeah, and another button to push back creepy ambiance.

Oh MAN Silent Hill only with Amaterasu who rocks up and makes flowers grow and turns monsters into nice people who give her hugs :3:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2X6X0e-s00

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Scariest game series.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gesadt posted:

sounds like Eraserhead would be right up your alley m8er :smuggo:

What're you talking about, Eraserhead was hilarious. Funniest drat movie ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

Mafiosa posted:

The hard J sound seems to be the key to getting that goddamned baby to laugh, but everything about that video makes no sense or has already been handwaved away by Kojima (204863 is Kojima's birthday, 7780 was explained by another poster and the Jarith thing is just dead wrong wrt biblical significance)
But if its a hard J sound that seems to work universally for everyone, I'm going to put my money on the keyword being "Kojima". Can't test it myself, but I'm throwing it out there.

I do believe the hidden messages in the game give you hints as to what to do, but I think the name you need to say is "Jack", not "Jarith". My reasoning here is because there is a reversed audio message that says "I walked until I stood one pace before Jack." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqWXUr76eSg). People have assumed this refers to a deck of cards, where the Jack is the first card after the tenth card. Therefore you would walk 10 paces.

But if you stand by the clock, and then walk 10 paces down the hall, you end up just outside the bathroom, with the sink just to your right. Therefore, it could be assumed the name of the baby in the sink is Jack. It also may be possible that if you walk 10 steps from the clock and into the bathroom you end up right in front of the sink, but I haven't tested that.

Anyway, here is what I did to complete the puzzle:

1. Stand by the clock, and wait for it to turn midnight and the chimes begin. (doesn't seem to matter where you stand, though)
2. Walk 10 paces and stop to trigger the first baby laugh.
3. Stand in place, and wait for the woman to stop making sounds during the first haunting. Say "Jack" into the mic. Do this after she stops making sounds but before the distorted background sounds stop. This should trigger the second baby laugh.
4. Stand in place and do not touch any controls. Wait for the controller to stop vibrating. You should hear the third baby laugh.
5. The phone should ring. Walk over and look at it with R3, then continue out of the room.

People have said they have done it without the mic, so this might only be one possible solution.

• Locked thread