Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Milo Colombera
Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 0, Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5 | Conditions: Milo-kins

Oh man, I'm gonna be in a different group as Zoey, this suuuuuuuuucks. And I'm gonna have to spend time with Andrew this SUUUUUUUUUCKS.

"Alright, as long as we're back by a decent hour."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Zoey, the Harpy
Hot -1, Cold. 3, Volatile 1, Dark -1 Darkest Self
Harm 1/4; Exp 0/5; Conditions: Callous, Hair-Triggered, Cow, Going Soft

I take a moment to glare at Sara and Ben.

"Really? Seriously? Whatever. Let's just get this over with."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Aaron
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1

A cat runs across my lap and away. Well, Aly appears to be busy in conversation, so nothing is stopping me from pursuing it for a moment- I am getting both bored and curious. I don't want to abandon Aly here, but I also need to leave soon... perhaps by moving around they'll get the point.

I catch up with it, and lie down on the floor, smiling, face to face with the creature- "Hail, small cat. Please allow me to touch you pleasantly." I reach ouch, and realize my shirt has become disheveled during the chase. My hair falls into my eyes, and I brush it away impatiently.

And realize that over in the next room, Judith appears to be looking- peeking really- and blushing.

Ah. Is that how it is...

KPrime, 5+2 = 7 turn on Judith for maximum embarrassment potential in this scene.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Alyosha Kosoglad
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile 1 | Dark -1 | Integrity 2
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

"Bi...?" Oh good, Aly just looks confused now. "...oh! Ah...I-I'm not sure! Everything, um, everything just..." Aaaaw, blushingggggggg. "...everything today just sort of happened. But...it's definitely alright for you to talk to him, okay?"

Aly gives her a grateful little smile and a hug, and waits for her to get the uniform out! Aaa...the manager will surely be nice, and then everything'll be okay and Aly'll be safe and won't have to be so scared, r-right?

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 20, 2014

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Reagan Hennessy (The Mummy)
Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5 | Conditions: None

End Connection. Today is just going to be one revelation after another, isn't it? "She saw us." Kei, at least. I doubt that was a quirk of Chris' spell. Scrying isn't too helpful when people know you're watching them. "How did she...?" I grimace. "Don't tell me. Holly has magic, too?"

More to the point, this situation was much more serious than anyone thought. "I think it's time we got involved." I'm not one for heroics. But we simply cannot stand by, knowing what we know.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Hot 1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 2 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | XP 2/5 | Soft

By the time the teams are settled, Makoto is gone.

I dodge into an alley, clamber atop a convenient dumpster, spring with an Olympic jump upward to grab the ledge of one relatively low roof, and pull myself up. Hopefully anyone who noticed me walk out will assume I went home. I spy Mr. Rackham and start leaping between rooftops to follow him.

Do I see Coach Torres? (Or any else of interest?)

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Crispian "Chris" Caius Avilius Constantine
Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Exp 2/5 | Conditions: Drained

That was... Informative and totally confusing at the same time. Sagging back onto my cushion under the Kotatsu, I let out a sigh. That spell took more out of me than I'd expected. After staring at the others for a moment, I shake my head, trying to clear some of the sudden fatigue. "It's possible. But the visions are always uh, literally true. Her 'seeing' us could have been a metaphor, or her looking at something that would have been where we 'were'." I lean forward and take one of the coffee cups Reagan brought, and take a sip before continuing. "I wouldn't count on it though. That'd be one hell of a coincidence."

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Short one because I'm tired and in a hurry.

Chris' Place

There was one major difference between the two visions today. Whereas with Mr. Keen you brought his apartment to you during the scrying process, this time you seem to have been brought to Holly's location in a more physical sense, either due to the increased magical draw of Kei's presense, or the more solid object of Holly's which was involved in the ritual.

Either way, it seems that the vision was, in fact, reality. Though "reality" is a loose term for the actual experience. The surroundings were solid, yes, but dulled and without light. It could be that... it's preposterous, but perhaps she's not currently in this world?

Of course, the fact that she noticed you three could be explained more easily. She and the orb of light were one and the same, which would mean she's attuned to magic just like yours, maybe even stronger magic than you're used to. You most definitely found her, though not at the best of times, and she still needs help if that barrier is evidence enough.

With that in mind, how will you proceed?

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Here we go!

Cat-astrophe

Judith squeezes into the hug and holds out a finger once you've broken off. "Just a sec." She rifles through the nearby coat rack and reveals your UNIFORM! The little hairband with the cat ears is in a plastic bag pinned to the front. "Just head right from here and you'll hit the manager's office. Thanks so much Aly!" She scurries away to the dining room. Her coworker leers mischievously in your direction before heading out the door with some saucers of milk.

Aaron: "Hi!" the waitress tells you as she comes around the table to face you. "Uh, my name's Judith. I'll be serving you today. I forgot to say that earlier, sorry. So, do you, mmm, see anything you like?"

Take that string, Aaron. You've earned it!

The Rooftops

Makoto, you hear Sara shouting "Wait!" before you leave, but that probably wouldn't stop you.

You do see Sargent catching up to Torres in front of Rian Blake's place. Rackham shouts, "What the hell's the matter with you?"

"You got no idea who yer talkin' to, yuuuh frisbee-head," Torres replies with his outdoor voice. Rackham grabs Torres' arm, the one carrying the paper bag.

"What's this, then?" He takes a whiff and grimaces. "You made me do this, Mark." Rackham presses Torres face-first into the store's facade and contorts both of the coach's arms behind his back.

"Nah, nah, you cando this! Ye not a cop! Ye don own me!" Torres rustles helplessly as Sarge pins him to the ground and prepares his disciplinary handcuffs. Then they both disappear into thin air.

Rian Blake briefly appears on the other side of the window to see what the ruckus is about, then returns to the darkness, his search fruitless.

What do you do?

Colombera Pizza

"Wait!" Sara shouts as Makoto runs off. She shakes her head and tosses a dismissive hand toward the door. "Whatever. We didn't need him anyway. Uh, Milo, you can be in Zoey's group if you want. Won't be even anymore..."

At that moment, the one and only Susan Meyer comes in the door, with Mr. Keen dragged in by his ear. "Hello," she says anemically, still feeling the pain. She tosses Mr. Keen in your direction, who straightens himself up and addresses you all.

"It's come to my attention that you've planned an extra-curricular activity outside of my knowledge. As your supervisor, it's my responsibility to oversee your actions and keep you all safe. Now, could someone please tell me what's going on?"

"Sure!" says Sara, abruptly. "We were organizing teams for Capture the Flag, just now! Since we have uneven teams, how'd you like to be on Team Red with Andrew and his friends?"

Ms. Meyer is having a quiet discussion with Francesca while the latter dries glassware. Though Meyer's eyes are red, she doesn't shed a tear. Francesca is being as supportive as she can while still getting stuff done. Ben continues to click mindlessly on his flashlight, hand on his chin.

Mr. Keen replies, "Andrew's supposed to be suspended from school activities... Bu-u-ut since it's not official I suppose it wouldn't hurt." He sits down in Makoto's seat and begins applying reflective tape to his shoulders.

"Awesome!" says Sara, "Now, we all ready to head to the park?"

Zoey, you've softened up enough for people to forgive your Callousness, and nobody remembers you being called a Cow. Go ahead and strike those out.

Andrew, you're no longer
quite as Heartless as you were this morning, and your Paranoia has been justified. Strike those out if you'd like.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 22, 2014

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Zoey, the Harpy
Hot -1, Cold. 3, Volatile 1, Dark -1 Darkest Self
Harm 1/4; Exp 0/5; Conditions: Hair-Triggered, Going Soft

"It's fine, Sara. Can't really win in terms of who I get stuck with here. So, where are we loo- I mean, putting our flag?"

So this just became a lot more complicated. Are we seriously going to pretend to play Capture the Flag while looking for Holly now? Speaking of Holly, her mom looks kind of broken up. So whatever's going on, she's definitely not at home. Nope, just somewhere else, getting off on how much attention she's receiving for this...

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Kei Kagami Holly Meyer
Hot 2 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5

"I... I agree with Reagan." I say, settling down enough to take my own coffee cup. Coffee will either calm my nerves or rattle them some more, depending on how well it's prepared. I take my chances. "Let's forget about plans for a while. We have to do something with this."

I try to recall the scene again. "So, where do we even find this intersection?" I've been in this town my whole life, but that place doesn't ring a bell.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Andrew/Wendar
Harm 1/4 | Exp 3/5 | Conditions: Delusional.

Capture the flag? What kind of foolishness is... Wait. Ah, interesting. Before I can actually say something, my mind races to the thoughts of how the teachers might put this effort in jeopardy. Truly, it was a feat of quick thinking, although it seems that the fool Keen is against my presence. Fortunately such a threat subsides for now, but it seems that the search might take a while. "I shall wait no longer. Makoto has already left, and so should I. Begone!" I say while heading away from the place, flashlight in hand. I mutter a quick spell, infusing the balefire of Shardar on this tool, making it work as a flaming light sword when needed, as the threat of the shadows are always lurking on such a bloody moonlight...

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Those names weren't easy to forget. "That was the park. I'm sure I could find that spot with a map." Why did everything look so faded? This was a scrying ritual, not a TV. A few explanations did come to mind, but none of them boded well. And then there was Holly herself. What was with this school? Or rather, anime club. At this point, I would not be surprised if each and everyone one of us belonged to the supernatural community. Which had even more dangerous implications. But I could think about those later.

"Let's gather up some supplies, first." Right now, I had to think about how foolhardy this was. We could not ignore what we had seen, nor could we report it to the police. And we were far from helpless. Even a young mages are not to be taken lightly. Then again, Holly also seemed to be something special, and look where she was. There was also the problem of her captors being well equipped. Most importantly, we barely had any idea of what we were getting into. "We'll also need to do something about that search party. Warning them directly is not an option, but we could tell them we had an area of the park covered." Ironic. I now find myself wishing mundane students weren't involved at all.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 23, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Harm 0/4 | XP 2/5 | Soft

Well, that was unusual. I'm already regretting my kid-detective jab. Still, I don't know if their plan was to stumble into that scene on the street or what.

At this point I'd feel pretty silly rejoining the "search party", but I'd really like another look at that 'zine. Marcell lives nearby; maybe he has a copy. I think I'll pay him an unannounced visit. Harder to get brushed off that way.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

"Well, I have some flashlights, but.... weren't we just planning on replacing Holly with Kei a few minutes ago?" Halfway through the coffee I switch over to the pastry, and I can already feel them making a difference, I'm a bit more energetic now. Its a shame my house doesn't have a leyline going directly through it so I could recharge. "If we're going though, who was leading the other search party again?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Kei Kagami Holly Meyer
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5

"That was before we knew where she was!" I look at Chris hard. "I thought she just ran away, but this looks really serious! What if she's in danger? More importantly, what if someone else in that search party, maybe even someone like you, finds out where she is?" At this point, I just can't just cross that out. "Any plans we make would just fizzle out."

I smile again, slowly gaining Holly's composure. "Let's see where this leads. If we find Holly out of it, then good, she owes us owe. If not... well, either way, we could definitely set up for her miraculous return."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Aaron
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1

"Many things, Judith, many things!" Aaron grins brightly. "Though for now, I would just like a puff pastry, and to know if Aly is ready to leave after we eat... I need their help with something." He winks. "You could help instead, but I think you are occupied, yes?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Milo Colombera

So that's the infamous Susan Meyer. I'll have to leave her with my mom, because that idiot Andrew's gone off.

"Hey Andrew, wait up. We gotta stay together!"

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Alyosha Kosoglad
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile 1 | Dark -1 | Integrity 2
Harm 0/4 | Exp 1/5

Uuu...this really isn't bad at all! I quickly change into the uniform and make sure my kitty ears are nice and snug, set my other clothes aside in a neat little pile, and...slooooooowly make my way up to the manager's office.

Knock, knock. "H-hello? Judith, um, Judith told me to, um..." aaaaaaaaa oh gosh what do i do i'm so nervous

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

"Depending on why these people are after Holly, we may well be acting in our own interests, here." I add. "In any case, I doubt that disguise of yours has reached the end of its use. We'll just have to be a little more creative." Just having the right face grants certain...privileges. I take the last cup of coffee. "I'm getting off topic. Flashlights are good. Do you have a first aid kit?" I open a pocket in my backpack. Among the pens and pencils is a piece of white plastic, which I've been saving for an occasion like this. I zip up the pocket, then bring up the elephant in the room.

"Admittedly," They weren't my army (If only. You never know how much you miss having a troop of armed men at your beck and call until you need one). "I cannot ask you to involve yourself if you do not wish it. Those men were armed, and that is possibly the least of our problems. And if we are going to proceed with this, we'll need to prepare for...well, let's not mince words, here. We might get shot at. I can shoot back. Chris, I assume you can, as well. I'd rather avoid fighting, but we need a way for all of us to defend ourselves, just in case. I'm not expecting firearms." Otherwise, I'd vastly misjudged these two. "Something like pepper spray or a knife."

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 27, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Kei Kagami Holly Meyer
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5

I admit. Meeting another magician and finding Holly captured by a group of people made of light was nowhere where I thought I would be when I started this day. It sounds really dangerous. Very dangerous. This isn't some little prank or scheme I could plan. I could get hurt.

And I'll be damned if I don't go, anyway. What would I be if I don't jump into every mystery that stands in front of me?

"Yeah... no problem for me. I can find something to use." I say after a pause. "I want to help find Holly too." The vision of her trapped with those people spring to mind. "Whatever that means at this point."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I shrug at the others response to my point, then grin a little. A rescue mission sounds pretty fun! Honestly, I didn't expect much chances for adventure here in the normal world. Figured it'd be fairly boring really. "No pepper spray, but I have a few Athame if you two want to borrow some. As for first aid... I think I have some gauze somewhere around here..." Standing up, I take a moment to account for vertigo, then head over to a closet door and open it up and start rummaging, eventually emerging with a gauze roll and three long ritual daggers.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

"Those work." So, they still use Athame. And they were closer to weapons than I had been hoping for. "And flashlights...do you think we need anything else?" I ask Kei and Chris. "Otherwise, we should get going."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Kei Kagami Holly Meyer
Harm 0/4 | Exp 3/5

"I'm all set, actually!" A grin. "I got a knife, I got a flashlight, I..."

I pause, suddenly realizing where I am and what I'm wearing.

"...should probably change from Holly's clothes, huh?" I say, looking around. "Any place I can change, Chris?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

"Yeah, I have a bathroom in there you can use." I point towards one of the doors in the wall, then head through another to grab two flashlights and a coat. Entering the room again, I toss one flashlight over to Reagan, then start rummaging through the cupboard, remembering something, and emerging with a handful of energy bars. "If we're out long these should be useful."

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

"Thank you." Apparently, I've been assigned the role of quartermaster. Fair enough. I begin storing our supplies in my backpack. When Chris isn't looking, I tuck the piece of plastic into my hairband. It occurs to me that Mom and Dad might have issues with me running around at night. On the other hand, this might provide some insight into who I am in their eyes. It's not wise to trust someone implicitly, after all. Of course, my mother and father are more than just a couple of "someones". Whatever else they have in mind, they took me in and gave me a home. Hmm. It goes without saying that I couldn't abandon Chris and Kei, to say nothing of Holly. But unless something really strikes me as wrong, I suppose the right thing to do when I get home is to make an appropriate apology and respect my parents' privacy. For now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Milo Colombera

Upon catching up with Andrew and the rest, I turn on my flashlight and look around. Man, Holly could have gone anywhere, and I have to search the entire city with this idiot? I already miss Zoey.

"So, where do you think we should go first? I mean, you guys probably know Holly better than I do."

• Locked thread