Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The plating leaves something to be desired, I know, but I was very interested in serving dinner to my family at the moment. This is a good recipe for serving to families.

:jebstare:: Holy poo poo, these are made in Norway and Denmark! They're called "boneless birds", often there's a strip of lard or bacon in the middle too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This thread is making me want to go find my grandmother's copy of Miss Manners which she heavily annotated by hand with her own personal preferences, grievances, and mistakes.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Is there a mock chicken recipe?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Sorry I've been out of the thread for a bit - soccer season has been amazingly busy. While there is no mock chicken recipe, that made me think of the "mock chicken" I've eaten at Buddhist Chinese joints, which made me think of my Grandma's Chinese food. We made lemon chicken the other day. Will post photos tonight or tomorrow.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So here's the thing I we made the other day. For some reason I can't get a good photo of the recipe page through the plastic sheet covering the paper, so I'll type it out:

quote:

Chicken with lemon sauce

1 lb. chicken breasts, skinned and boned
5 oz oyster sauce
5 oz oil
5 tsp sesame oil
4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp white pepper
1 oz brandy or sake

Mix all together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove meat from sauce, coat with cracker meal. Deep fry 5 minutes at 300 degrees. Remove, cut into bite sized pieces. Discard marinade. Cover chicken with lemon sauce. Serves six-eight.

Sauce:

10 oz honey
4 oz fresh lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 oz gin
1 stalk fresh ginger, minced
1 or 2 lemons, sliced
6 oz boiling water

Mix all together. Pour over chicken. Serve.

The oyster sauce called for above, and the hoisin sauce, can be found in any grocery specializing in oriental foods. I love to just browse in these markets with their unusual foods and smells. Why don't you try it sometime?

This recipe is actually really good. We've modified it a bit over the years, though, and now what we like to do is marinate whole pieces of chicken and bake them in the oven (as nice as fried pieces of cracker coated chicken can be). It's really about the sauce, anyway, which is very sweet but not cloying. This is super Americanized "Chinese" food, but for a rural lady in the 50s and 60s I'd say she was doing really well. Not only was Grandma's heart in the right place, the recipe stands up on it's own merits. In this utterly awful cellphone photo, the chicken is served with rice and quickly sauteed green beans in shaoxing wine and soy with garlic and chile.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

There's some regional Chinese cuisines that use craploads of sugar and honey, Shanghainese in particular, so this recipe isn't all American for sure.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Hmmm, interesting. Well, it tastes pretty good!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This is super Americanized "Chinese" food, but for a rural lady in the 50s and 60s I'd say she was doing really well. Not only was Grandma's heart in the right place, the recipe stands up on it's own merits. In this utterly awful cellphone photo, the chicken is served with rice and quickly sauteed green beans in shaoxing wine and soy with garlic and chile.

That's super adventurous for her! And it's a fun looking recipe, except in the sauce i'd probably try to find some replacement for the booze, as there are alcohol issues in my family. I have some Tonic syrup and juniper I could use...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I finally got some time to get over to my mom's house and go through my grandma's old recipe box. I had to sort through all the church cookbook poo poo and Campbell's recipes, and I pulled out the things I remember eating at her house. There weren't any recipes for any of her regular dishes though, which doesn't surprise me.

So here are some basic cookie/pie recipes. The white bread, brown bread (the kind that you make in a can) and pecan pie would be my favorites. I remember my grandpa eating like 8 peanut butter or molasses cookies almost every day with a huge glass of milk. And she would make 3 loaves of white bread every loving day, half for lunches and half for dinner. Cinnamon roll recipe nowhere to be found but it's basically the same as the bread, just with cinnamon goop and rolled up into a pan.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Haha, I didn't think anybody else did the "bread in cans" thing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

"Pumkin pie", I love it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My grandmother is in need of constant company due to an increasing dose of dementia. My wife and I have moved in with our kids to what is now a four generation family home that had been pulled out of the woods to the current foundation by a horse team.

I can't bring myself to replace her old stove with ours. The plan is to run it into the ground and then make the swap when necessary even if it does suck rear end for 12" skillets:

Now that the kitchen has been hauled out and ready for final zoning of our nice cookware, I can focus on that little recipe box and start digitizing and laminating the cards. Probably start with her steamed brown bread recipe and the baked bean recipe taped in a cupboard. Then on to crazy quilt bread. Also, she still has her old 6-cup Pyrex percolator and :iia:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this is a good thread. more photos of index card recipes please! (and plz include your grandparent's region, it's important!)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

E: I'll get some cards lazily photographed later. But my grandmother was born in Nova Scotia during the depression and emigrated to North-Central New Hampshire with her father, sister, and aunt sometime before WWII.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 8, 2014

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

For anyone interested - I found a great mock chicken recipe I've been using this poo poo is off the hook delicious

Equal Parts :
Shredded/grated cheese (mozzarella works well)
Diced onion
Diced Tomato
Butter
One egg per tablespoon of ingredient (i.e. if you're using approx. 6 tablespoons each of onion, tomato, butter and cheese, 6 eggs)

Fry all bar cheese and egg in the butter.
Season heavily
Add cheese once onion is translucent
Add beaten eggs, season again. Add herbs. I find Bush Spices (it's an Aussie one made by McCormick, maybe available overseas? But it loving rules)

Eat that sick filth.
I threw some kewpie mayo and sriracha onto mine and it was fantastically addictive. I polished off 6 eggs' worth in a sitting

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

E: Made the brown bread with an added ~1/2 cup of raisins tossed with the dry ingredients before adding milk and molasses to keep them from sinking. It's a pretty decent recipe, but I will work some spices into it next time and add some baking soda and sub buttermilk for at least some of the regular.

And the loaf filled a rectangular Pyrex baking dish that I nestled into a larger one with water and covered the thing with foil. My grandmother was happy when I offered her some bread from her own recipe.

Just served it with the bean recipe from her cabinet which is plain, but tasty. I'll certainly use the bean recipe as a base and add some ginger and use brown sugar in place of white in the future.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 8, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Butch Cassidy posted:

E: Made the brown bread with an added ~1/2 cup of raisins tossed with the dry ingredients before adding milk and molasses to keep them from sinking. It's a pretty decent recipe, but I will work some spices into it next time and add some baking soda and sub buttermilk for at least some of the regular.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/kK7nLYn.jpg[/timg
:argh: You're supposed to use a can!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I was going to until I realized that my grandmother didn't gently caress around with small recipes, having raised five kids. My wife is now under order to save a few tins so the next go can be properly presented :shobon:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Noooooooooooo :negative:

The electric ignition to the range, oven, and broiler crapped out on the old Glenwood:

R.I.P. old guy. I'll need forget all the meals my grandmother cooked with you :(

Now to continue arguing with the gas company to take my god damned order despite the name on the account and send a rep to put my stove in. Because my grandmother is going to insist that she can fix it and refuse to order the service, herself :supaburn:

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Woman who can't remember if she just fed the cat three times in the last hour let alone whether the oven is on or pumping gas. If I was on my own, I'd go the match route in the finest New England miserly tightassed thrifty tradition.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Butch Cassidy posted:

Noooooooooooo :negative:

The electric ignition to the range, oven, and broiler crapped out on the old Glenwood:

R.I.P. old guy. I'll need forget all the meals my grandmother cooked with you :(

Now to continue arguing with the gas company to take my god damned order despite the name on the account and send a rep to put my stove in. Because my grandmother is going to insist that she can fix it and refuse to order the service, herself :supaburn:

Dang man, that was less than a week ago when you talked about its inevitable demise. Don't buy a new one, fix it up!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The plan is to slip our range in there and tinker with the old wood paneled codger to get it to spark again as a spare.

E:

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 12, 2014

The Baker
Dec 4, 2013
This is great, thank you for sharing your family's recipes. My farther in law has his mum's cook book and it's totally sacred to him, no one can see it but him! Dunno why I can't see it, it's in Norwegian and I can hardly speak a word.
I cant wait for more updates on this thread.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just wanted to say thank you for this thread. I have very few recipes from my family, my mom is a pretty good cook, but she doesn't use recipes, she just wings it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For the OP, and everyone else taking pictures of old recipe cards or pages of typed text, Genius Scan will let you flatten, darken, increase the contrast, rotate, and otherwise clean up your cards. You can also change a color image to monochrome, for cheaper, faster reprinting. It'll also export as JPEG or PDF, and it's available for iOS and Android.

(It's also phenomenal for receipts for travel or tax purposes.)

Also; those cookies are godamned awesome. :3:

• Locked thread