Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
FP uses an Event die to play Challenge of the King.

are drawn.

The Eye is removed from play and the other tiles are placed back in the Hunt Pool!

FP Action Roll:
SP Action Roll:

SP, Action?

Also, let me know when/if you guys want an update on what's left in the Hunt Pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Recruit all across Dunland/Isengard

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
There are only two Isengard Regulars left in the Force Pool! Don't forget the Mouth of Sauron lets you use a Muster die as an Army die once per turn, too.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Taran_Wanderer posted:

There are only two Isengard Regulars left in the Force Pool! Don't forget the Mouth of Sauron lets you use a Muster die as an Army die once per turn, too.

I didn't know that! Thanks!

Um, lets muster 1 Elite in Minas Morgul

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
SP uses a Muster die to recruit a Sauron Elite in Minas Morgul!

FP Action Roll:
SP Action Roll:

FP, Action?

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

Leeeet's move that fellowship

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Find 'em, boys!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
FP uses a Will of the West die to move the Fellowship.

A is drawn!

FP, would you like to reveal the Fellowship to reduce the Hunt Damage by one?

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

For sure, man.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
South Dunland to North Dunland and Minas Morgul to South Ithilien

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
FP uses Gollum's Guide ability to reveal the Fellowship and reduce the Hunt Damage by one!
Corruption is increased to nine!

SP uses an Army/Muster die to move the Army in Minas Morgul to South Ithilien and the Army in South Dunland to North Dunland!

FP Action Roll:
SP Action Roll:

Tiles left in the Hunt Pool:

FP, Action?

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

hide the fellowship

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Turn Muster Die to Army die
Moria to North Dunland, South Ithilien to Osgiliath
Commit 3 Hunt Dice

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
FP uses a Will of the West die to hide the Fellowship.

SP uses a Muster die as a Army die to move the army in Moria to North Dunland and the army in South Ithilien to Osgiliath.

Victory Check: Neither player has enough VPs to win.

Recover Action Dice and Draw Event Cards: SP gets one extra Action die due to the Mouth of Sauron. FP now has six cards in hand; SP now has six cards.

Fellowship Phase: Gollum must remain the Guide of the Fellowship.

Hunt Allocation: SP allocates one Action die to the Hunt.

FP Action Roll:
SP Action Roll:

FP, Action or Pass?

Taran_Wanderer fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 18, 2014

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

sword die: move fellowship, if a non-eye 1-3 tile is drawn reveal to reduce damage by 1.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Play THE RING IS MINE with Event Die

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
FP uses a Character die to move the Fellowship.

A is drawn.
Per orders, FP uses Gollum's ability to reveal the Fellowship and reduce the Hunt Damage by one.
Corruption is increased to eleven.

SP uses an Event die to play The Ring is Mine!

is added to the Hunt Pool

FP Action Roll:
SP Action Roll:

FP, Action or Pass?

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

So I win or lose on a coin flip? Heck yeah, let's do it Hide fellowship, next action after that is move fellowship.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I play another card whose name I forget that adds another horrible Hunt token to the pile

COIN FLIP TIME

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

...with that, it literally is 4 win tiles, 4 lose tiles, isn't it.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
The eyes have it.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

I had fun playing with you GTR, sorry the last couple of turns wound up being dull. You had some really bad luck this game.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

ConorT posted:

I had fun playing with you GTR, sorry the last couple of turns wound up being dull. You had some really bad luck this game.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun, I just felt like I really didn't know what I was doing- but thats to be expected for my very first game. I'm amazed at how its come down to a die roll though from what originally looked like a complete shutout for the Free People.

I'm mulling over my thoughts on the game still. I enjoyed it, but I'm not a huge fan of all the dice. Ironic, considering my predilections for these sorts of games. I have been thinking a lot about how neat it would be if it was fully card driven like Twilight Struggle.

Good game, ConorT!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Right then, so we all know what's happening, I'll just skip to the final draw. Drumroll please...

!

Gravy Train Robber has won the game! Congratulations!

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Yeah, I had a lot of fun, I just felt like I really didn't know what I was doing- but thats to be expected for my very first game. I'm amazed at how its come down to a die roll though from what originally looked like a complete shutout for the Free People.

I'm mulling over my thoughts on the game still. I enjoyed it, but I'm not a huge fan of all the dice. Ironic, considering my predilections for these sorts of games. I have been thinking a lot about how neat it would be if it was fully card driven like Twilight Struggle.

I think you did pretty good! While it did come down to a coin flip, you had those odds because you worked at it, holding on to cards to increase Corruption, and using the Witch-King to get to the cards that added the special Hunt Tiles to the Pool.

War of the Ring is an interesting case of randomness in games. It's the only game that I know of that not only works with this level of randomness, but works well. I think the biggest factor is simply the size of the game. There's so much to do, that no matter what gets rolled, there's always something that can be done. There's also a great deal of ways to manipulate the dice, between the Elven Rings, the FP's Will of the West result, several cards, Characters like Strider and the Mouth of Sauron, and even the extra dice from Gandalf the White and Aragorn. I'm really looking forward to The Battle of Five Armies and how these mechanics work on a smaller scale.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the game! Any comments on how the game was run? I was thinking of running another game with the expansion.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

rip Frodo. Good game, FTR!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Yay, score one for Gollum! :unsmith:

Good game, ConorT!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I think you did pretty good! While it did come down to a coin flip, you had those odds because you worked at it, holding on to cards to increase Corruption, and using the Witch-King to get to the cards that added the special Hunt Tiles to the Pool.

Trying to get the Witch King out early was my first priority, since I figured increasing card draw/filtering would be the most powerful thing I could do. I started to second-guess this though, in part due to letting the Free People advance their nations without needing a hero there. It was an attempt at an aggressive start, but I didn't have the right cards or strength to follow through with the Witch King in the early turns.

I did hold on to a lot of the Corruption cards, mostly because I was focusing only on military (and doing badly at it). It was kind of dumb luck that the only cards left in my hand at the very end were all Corruption or Hunt Tile adding.

quote:

War of the Ring is an interesting case of randomness in games. It's the only game that I know of that not only works with this level of randomness, but works well. I think the biggest factor is simply the size of the game. There's so much to do, that no matter what gets rolled, there's always something that can be done. There's also a great deal of ways to manipulate the dice, between the Elven Rings, the FP's Will of the West result, several cards, Characters like Strider and the Mouth of Sauron, and even the extra dice from Gandalf the White and Aragorn. I'm really looking forward to The Battle of Five Armies and how these mechanics work on a smaller scale.

Its a great experience, but I'm kind of suspicious of how I won after ConorT drastically out-played me, my bad dice luck aside. As far as the randomness goes, I didn't mind the turn dice that give you options on what you can do- you're right, theres always something that can be done, and you have ways to change those dice if you absolutely need something. I liked that aspect of it. I'm mostly not a huge fan of how the battles are resolved.

quote:

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the game! Any comments on how the game was run? I was thinking of running another game with the expansion.

You did a great job running the game, no comments come to mind!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Trying to get the Witch King out early was my first priority, since I figured increasing card draw/filtering would be the most powerful thing I could do. I started to second-guess this though, in part due to letting the Free People advance their nations without needing a hero there. It was an attempt at an aggressive start, but I didn't have the right cards or strength to follow through with the Witch King in the early turns.

I did hold on to a lot of the Corruption cards, mostly because I was focusing only on military (and doing badly at it). It was kind of dumb luck that the only cards left in my hand at the very end were all Corruption or Hunt Tile adding.
Yeah, the question of when to bring in the Witch-King is always an interesting one. Ideally, you can get him after you've already put several FP Strongholds under siege, so the FP nations are already Active. Allowing the FP to recruit Gandalf the White is always a consideration as well. Personally, I prefer to bring out Saruman first while I build up my forces, but the Witch-King did good work for you.

The expansion makes the decision even more interesting by giving the SP an alternate Witch-King that gives card draw for playing Character Events if he's in the same region as the Fellowship. He also does not count as a Minion for the purposes of Gandalf the White, and he can be replaced by the base game's Witch-King if needed. It's cool stuff.

Its a great experience, but I'm kind of suspicious of how I won after ConorT drastically out-played me, my bad dice luck aside. As far as the randomness goes, I didn't mind the turn dice that give you options on what you can do- you're right, theres always something that can be done, and you have ways to change those dice if you absolutely need something. I liked that aspect of it. I'm mostly not a huge fan of how the battles are resolved.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the battle system, but I do like the dual nature of the cards and how powerful they can be during Combat. The Battle of Five Armies is changing it up a bit by forcing a card play each round of combat, and players have a special card for each type of unit they have in battle. Should make things a good bit more interesting, though it's still the same basic +X to hit system.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
So I came home today to find Lords of Middle-Earth waiting on my doorstep, so I think I will be doing another game using it. It's a month early, too! I've already got one player, so if anyone watching this thread is interested in playing, let me know. I'll be busy most of the weekend, so I probably won't start until Monday.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Or I could get players tonight and just start it right now. New Game's up here.

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

You did a great job running the game, no comments come to mind!

Same here, top-notch work, I think. Thanks for letting me play!

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

Hey, one final request: can you post a picture of the final board so I can share it with friends?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Taran_Wanderer fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Here's the final game log, for anyone that's interested. Just load it in the Java app.

• Locked thread