Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
:puckout:

:phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline:

So DotA 2 modding was improved greatly right after The International 4 and since nobody was willing to make a thread about it with some resources et al... here you go. Hopefully it sticks.

I've done my best to gather a collection of useful links for everyone so that people can get started and maybe even keep this OP open while they work so that they can alt-tab to find something they need. Pretty soon, you too will be making another knockoff of your favorite Warcraft 3 map!

:siren: Something important to note, though, is that the system requirements for the new DotA 2 Workshop Tools is rather high-end at the moment and so many people (myself included somewhat to be honest) will have a very hard time running it and playtesting their maps and whatnot. In general, 8GB of RAM is recommended to be able to run the new Hammer program smoothly. There are other requirements, of course, but this seems to to be the main choke for most people. Despite this, though, you can still run things with the same machine you use for DotA 2... but it'll just take longer to load and compile things.

:gaben: Official resources for general Workshop stuff:

:bandwagon: Resources for getting started:

All DotA 2 modding scripting is done with the Lua language. If you are not familiar with programming already :smithfrog:, there is a bunch of stuff to bring you up to speed that way. Everyone has to start somewhere and there are a million websites to learn any programming language... so just Google it or whatever.

:agesilaus: Here are some resources for scripting with the Lua Dota API and scripting in general:

:rory: Other modding communities around the interweb:

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Reserving first reply just in case

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 21, 2014

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So... any Tower Defenses yet?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Spudd posted:

So... any Tower Defenses yet?

none of those until we have grand, sweeping rpgs starring rylai, please

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this
Tree tag or bust.

Or one of the countless hero siege maps, because I love nothing more than killing wave after wave of creep to boost my stats then right click a giant blob of hp until I win.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

X hero seige was one of the more memorable ones really.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I heard cool stuff about Uther Party, so I hope someone ports that!

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Why didn't you wait until it was officially in the game?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Silentman0 posted:

Why didn't you wait until it was officially in the game?

• Because every other community is starting up their modding community hubs
  • Because the improvements that they just released to their API and editors vastly empowered people to make much better quality poo poo than before

Why didn't you wait until DotA 2 was officially out of Beta to make the DotA 2 megathread??? ill never kno

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
You have to jump through a bunch of hoops to play a game, though, and it'll probably be officially added within a month. No need to jump the gun.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Why didn't you wait until DotA 2 was officially out of Beta to make the DotA 2 megathread??? ill never kno

oh ok

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Speaking of "within the month" I just realized that ARDM has been semi-in-the-game for just over two months now.

In conclusion I wouldn't make any assumptions about things being added in a remotely reasonable timeframe (even though it's totally possible, obviously) and people will jump through hoops if the end result is worth it.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Silentman0 posted:

You have to jump through a bunch of hoops to play a game, though, and it'll probably be officially added within a month. No need to jump the gun.

So ignore the thread until then. People were asking for this in the dota thread. Not sure why you feel the need to come in here and threadshit when you can just scroll past

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Horn posted:

So ignore the thread until then. People were asking for this in the dota thread. Not sure why you feel the need to come in here and threadshit when you can just scroll past

Agreed.

Also, no you loving don't have to jump through loving hoops. That was the whole point of the update:

(if you want to host)
  • Click Play
  • Click Custom Games
  • Sort By --> Subscribed Content
  • Click on the one you want to play from the list of stuff you subscribed to via Workshop
  • Set a password and settings
  • Wait for people to join
  • Click the loving Start Game button
  • Profit

... or if you just want to play, all you have to do is join a lobby. You don't even have to subscribe to the map (iirc)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Love Stole the Day posted:

Agreed.

Also, no you loving don't have to jump through loving hoops. That was the whole point of the update:

(if you want to host)
  • Click Play
  • Click Custom Games
  • Sort By --> Subscribed Content
  • Click on the one you want to play from the list of stuff you subscribed to via Workshop
  • Set a password and settings
  • Wait for people to join
  • Click the loving Start Game button
  • Profit

... or if you just want to play, all you have to do is join a lobby. You don't even have to subscribe to the map (iirc)
edit: Oh, I see what you're saying.

There are a few neat customs I'd check out but nobody has any lobbies. Valve really should put in a WC3-style browser, where it'll list lobbies.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 24, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What is with people and adding inane items. I can understand maps being buggy, but the items are just flat out deranged. Either the items are worthless, broken, overpowered, or a combination thereof. Plus you get weird scaling where costs between item tiers are a factor of 10.

Overall I'm pretty optimistic for the scene assuming Valve fixes up the browsing/hosting integrity, which I expect they will once it's closer to full release.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Elysiume posted:

What is with people and adding inane items. I can understand maps being buggy, but the items are just flat out deranged. Either the items are worthless, broken, overpowered, or a combination thereof. Plus you get weird scaling where costs between item tiers are a factor of 10.

Overall I'm pretty optimistic for the scene assuming Valve fixes up the browsing/hosting integrity, which I expect they will once it's closer to full release.

People are still getting used to everything I assume. Everything you see on the workshop is babby's first map or even just "Yo, I'm making this!" don't expect anything good to come out for awhile.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Spudd posted:

People are still getting used to everything I assume. Everything you see on the workshop is babby's first map or even just "Yo, I'm making this!" don't expect anything good to come out for awhile.
Honestly I assume the people making the better maps aren't releasing the pre-pre-pre-alphas and are just quietly working on them and don't want to release completely broken previews.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Jesus there's two Tree Tag sequels on page one of the workshop right now. I played that game with my friends last week and it was a total boring slog and unfun for everyone involved, and it just felt like a worse Island Defense. I suppose everyone has Stockholm Syndrome when it comes to lovely W3 maps.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Honestly I assume the people making the better maps aren't releasing the pre-pre-pre-alphas and are just quietly working on them and don't want to release completely broken previews.

Yeah that's the way I'm viewing this as well. Still it will be cool come a few months down the track. Hopefully.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Spudd posted:

Yeah that's the way I'm viewing this as well. Still it will be cool come a few months down the track. Hopefully.
When Valve launches the custom maps for real I assume they'll add at least a couple of good customs themselves. I can't see Valve releasing custom maps with the lovely ghost town that is the current selection of customs.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Elysiume posted:

When Valve launches the custom maps for real I assume they'll add at least a couple of good customs themselves. I can't see Valve releasing custom maps with the lovely ghost town that is the current selection of customs.

Maybe that's how they'll push ardm and the other new compendium modes

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

Elysiume posted:

It's going to be New Bloom.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Adastern posted:

It's going to be New Bloom.
:barf: Oh god no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I should add a picture guide of how to make a custom lobby and get people to join it and put it at the top of the OP. Most people that are posting here seem to be more interested in the playing of custom games rather than making them, so I'll try to edit the OP to cater to that. Not now though.. maybe tomorrow.

• Locked thread