Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.

Today is a repeat of yesterday.

Tomorrow will be a repeat of today.

This mundane cycle of life has made the world seem stagnant…

Now, the world lurches towards darkness, becoming more twisted than ever before...

The renegade, a contagion, a threat, and a source of unimaginable power.

This power has been a secret companion to mankind for generations, and has produced wonders and terrors beyond imagination. One of these artifacts of wonder and terror has been found. The fabled Solomon’s Key, which gave its maker unprecedented power in an age few can recount the true history of. Now, the power of this artifact risks spilling out and consuming the entire world in its darkness…

The harbingers of this darkness, and the protectors of its secrets, descend upon humanity at the turn of a new year with a single new purpose. A purpose that binds them and threatens them in equal measure.

That purpose is the Burden of Demons.

This 6 Episode long OVA will take place in Kariya, a city located in the Aichi Prefecture within Japan, in 2016 during the last week of the year. This city is designated by the UGN as City N(a pre-prepared setting found in the Advanced Rulebook). With an approximate population of 150,000 people, there is a sizable Branch Office that the UGN uses to conduct business with the Overed population, and a new Branch Chief has been chosen to run it.

The city itself is relatively quiet, although a crime organization allying with the False Hearts in some business transactions has been cause for some alarm. However, the amount of combat level overeds within the city at any given time is low… If an emergency were to happen very few could respond quickly aside from the main characters in this story.

The main characters can be UGN illegals, agents, visiting officials eve, or perhaps something stranger, as long as they are not directly allied to False Hearts. Perhaps 1 or 2 people could even become overeds during the first episode if they wished.

Hopefully that set the mood, now for some out of character stuff. Character creation is the same as it would be normally except for 2 things:

The first is simple, each character starts with 3 simple powers for free.

The second is this: instead of gaining array stats based on what syndromes or Breed you take, you create 2 separate stat arrays by assigning 4 stat “points” to each stat array, 1 stat can only have 3 stat points assigned to it.

This way, you essentially create 2 stat arrays as if they were the stats you’d get from your syndrome, and then add them together. That way people can play character types that wouldn't really be feasible out the gate without being restricted by the syndrome stat system.

Aside from that, here’s some Miscellaneous information:

1. I’ll be taking up to 6 players, but one slot is in reserve, so there is room for 5 apps from other people.

2. When creating Loises, making a quote that is either a discussion or a monologue that captures that Lois’ mannerisms would be very helpful to me as a GM.

3. if you need help making a character, or just want a place to talk, I am usually found on the synIRC channel #persona. If you haven’t done IRC chat before just go here, put your username as your nick, and click go!

Aside from all that, I will be recruiting for 2 weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Definitely interested and I'll be working something up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Akane "Amazing" Nakamura

"Hey buddy, wanna watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat? Aaah! Hehe, wrong hat..."

Magic is all just illusions, right? Sleight of hand, misdirection. At least, that's what I thought. I didn't know that the world was this messed up, man. I'm just a magician trying to make a living doing tricks, and suddenly I'm drawn into this crazy world of monsters and betrayal! It's enough to make a girl wanna put herself into a straitjacket! I've never even heard of this Renegade thing before now! Well, I suppose I've been given these abilities for a reason, so I'm gonna make the most of all of this! What's that? You wanna know how I made those rose petals appear from nothing?

A magician never reveals her secrets.

Let me start from the beginning. My childhood wasn't too interesting. Growing up with two artist parents, a younger sister. Then one day, when I was 10, we all went to a magic show. I was instantly enraptured and knew that's what I wanted to do. I dedicated the rest of my life to learning magic and did some street performing until I got professional. I've even made a couple appearances on panel shows! The day I got infected was one just like any other. I was just on my way to a show, all hell breaks loose, and suddenly I have these powers!

quote:

Syndromes: Bram Stoker/Hanuman

Work: Stage Magician
Cover: Stage Magician

Body: 3
Sense: 4
Mind: 3
Social: 2

Max HP: 29

Initiative: 9

Powers:

Scarlet Blade
Lv: 2
Timing: Major
Skill: <RC>
Diff: Opposed
Rng: View
Encroach: 1
Perform an (Atk Power: + [LV+1]) ranged attack.

The Thirsting Lord
Skill: <Melee>
Target: Single
Rng: Close
Encroach: 4
Melee attacks that use this power ignore the target's [Armor] stat when calculating damage. If the attack hits, the user recovers [LVx4] HP. This attack must be done with Fists.

Flash
Lv: 1
Skill: <Melee>
Rng: Weapon
Encroach: 2
When this power is used, a melee attack may be performed after a Dash. Movement is performed regardless of whether or not an attack can actually be done. Break Aways cannot be perfromed with this Dash.

Sonic Attack
Skill: <Melee><Ranged>
Attacks that use this power recieve a +(LV) dice bonus.

Qinggong
Timing: Constant
Diff: Auto
Target: Self
Become so swift that one can run up the side of buildings or across the surface of water. The User will feel no difference between walls and flat ground.

Fragrant Fresh Blood
Track down a person or group by following the unique scent of their blood. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may perform a <Perception> check for this power.

Distant Voice
Target: Refer
Control the transmission of one's voice as it travels through the air. Have a secret conversation in the middle of a crowded street by only letting certain people hear or send one's voice to a place that could be up to (LV) kilometers away. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

Concentrate:Bram Stoker
Skill: Syndrome
Any check that uses this Power receives a - (LV) Critical Value bonus (mm. 7). When acquiring this Power, the User must associate one of his Syndromes and record this Power in the following format: <Concentrate:Salamandra>. For other Syndromes, character must acquire this Power again treat as a separate Power. In addition, this Power is treated as a Power of the selected Syndrome.

Skills:
<Dodge>1
<Perception>1
<Art:Legerdemain>2
<Knowledge:Television>2
<Info:Rumor>1

Origin: Sister (Lois: Sister)
Experience: Ally (Lois: Best Friend)
Encounter: Self (Lois: Ayame Shikishima)

Awakening: Infection
Impulse: Delusions
Encroachment: 28

Items
Stock Points: 1
Memento: Paintbrush

Loises:

Keiko Nakamura
Emotions: Potential, Alienation

"Keiko, there's a movie out that I think you'd like. Wanna come with?"
"No thanks, Akane. I'm busy right now."
"Are you sure? Can't you take a break just this once?"
"I'd rather not, sorry."
"Alright then...see ya later."

Keiko is my younger sister and one of the most well-known painters in the area. Both of our parents were artists, so they taught both of us. But she's the one who flourished. If she keeps it up, she could be one of the best artists in Japan! But she's a typical artist type, so cold and distant, always caught up in her works. She's been like that ever since our parents died. We never do anything together, and it breaks my heart.

Jouji Jones
Emotions: Friendship, Annoyance

"Hey Akane!"
"Jouji? It's two in the morning, what is it?"
"Listen, I'm at this party, see, and this major babe says she's a big fan of yours. You mind hooking us up with backstage passes so I can seal the deal?"
"No, Jouji! I am not going to help you get laid!"

Jouji is my best friend, and an actor in TV dramas. He got his start on a tokusatsu series and is currently on one of the top-rated romance shows in the country. I've known him for years and he's one of the people I trust most in the world. The irksome thing is that he's a major ladies' man. He's had the sense to never make the moves on me, but it does get annoying seeing him covered in groupies.

Ayame "Artemis" Shikishima
Emotions: Good Will, Jealousy

"Come on, Amazing! Show me what you can do!"
"W-Wait, I'm not ready yet!"
"You snooze you lose!"

I remember this girl coming to my shows a couple times, and she took me under her wing when I turned. She's an Overed like me, but she's so young. She's said she got turned recently as well, so there's a connection between us that allows us to get along. Although having gotten so much skill in such a short time and at such a young age...it's hard to not get jealous. I only hope one day I can be as strong as her.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 2, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Hmm, interesting. Looking into some type of Neumann/Angel Halo gunman thing. Maybe with a name of "CENTACOM" and a Military cover.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Matoro "Heaven's Bullet" Kuro
"I've got a daughter, you know. Of course, she's a carrier too. What I want, more than anything, is to make this world a better one for her. If she expresses one day, she should have a choice beyond being exploited, or destroying the fragile world around her."

Even after eleven years, Matoro Kuro doesn't remember why his Renegade Virus went active. A bored seventeen year old from a reasonably successful family, Matoro thought he'd pretty much had the world figured out. Then, one night he woke up on the cold hard concrete of a warehouse floor, the air heavy with a rich, coppery smell and the dim light hinting at walls slick with gore. A figure huddled just out of sight with the grotesque sound of muscle stretching and bones shifting and resettling as its right arm jerked unnaturally. Then, a mature woman with pale white hair stepped into the light and offered him a smile. She ignored the gun he pointed at her, the gun he hadn't had when he'd first woken up, and extended a hand to him. Sometimes, he wonders if he came back from the dead ... or if Mari wiped his memory to spare him the memory of his awakening.

Matoro signed on with the UGN without much convincing. In the beginning, it was the stuff of shounen heroes. Petty rivalries, love triangles, threats to the world order. He learned to use his powers, saved the day, even got the girl. The real world, however, doesn't have happy endings. Every day leads inexorably into the next, and it's all to easy for today's happiness to turn to ash in your hands tomorrow.

So it was with "Heaven's Bullet". He got married at a young age, his association with the UGN meaning he was able to comfortably provide for his family. He believed in the dream his mentor had sold him, a life where Overed and human could cohabitate peacefully. He had to, his wife was a regular human after all, as was their daughter. But believing in something isn't enough to make it so. Matoro's Renegade Virus took joy is cruelty to the weak, and when compared to an Overed almost every human being is a frail thing. Love for his family kept him on the straight and narrow, but the stresses of the job aggitated his Renegade, and there were times where he indulged those poisonous desires if only to keep from letting them build up and overwhelm him.

This all drew to a head the day that Matoro's mentor and partner decided to leave the UGN. It was a tough operation, Matoro's body had already forcibly recovered from several mortal wounds. In the aftermath, Mari told him that she wouldn't be going back to the UGN. He tried to talk her out of it, and when it became apparent that that wasn't going to work, he tried to stop her. She stabbed him through the heart and pinned him to the wall behind him with a bony spur. By the time he worked the blade free, she was long gone.

He went home to try and clear his head, but things got ... heated. His wife knew what he was grappling with, and she'd been as supportive as one can be knowing that their husband isn't entirely sane. She'd seen him in a bad way before, and knew what that look in his eye meant, even as he tried to distract himself with casual conversation. But when his gaze swiveled over to their daughter, her blood ran cold. She left that night, taking their girl to visit her grandparents in the country ... the divorce papers didn't come as any particular surprise afterwards.

Three years later, Matoro Kuro used some of his family's connections to start working as a producer for the Idol group Sweet Diva. He's enjoyed helping to popularize the group, on some level using the young girls as a surrogate for his fatherly impulses, but in reality he took the job because it makes a convenient cover for his activities as a UGN Agent. Given the vaguely defined nature of his work, no one really questions when he's away "scouting venues" or "networking", or when he meets with all manner of eccentric and shadowy figures. Meanwhile, he doesn't stick out in most people's minds who'd rather think of the dozen talented young performers he represents. The shadows are always darkest just behind the light, after all.

quote:

Syndromes: Blackdog / Morpheus

Work: UGN Agent B
Cover: Idol Producer

Body: 1
Sense: 5
Mind: 3
Social: 3

Max HP: 25

Initiative: 13

Powers:
Warding
Lvl: 1 / 1
Timing: Auto
Skill: -
Target: Scene
Encroach: 0
Description: Release a special substance into the air that will knock out normal people

This Power can be used at any time. All non-Overed characters in this Scene become Extras. All Overeds that are in the Scene will automatically sense that this Power was used. The effects of this Power continue throughout the Scene.

Resurrect
Lvl: 1 / 3
Encroach: Refer
Description: Heal personal injuries.

Declare when Incapcitated or when the Scene ends. Recover from Incapacitation with (LV)D HP. The User increases his Encroachment Rate equal to the amount of HP recovered. This Power cannot be used when the User's Encroachment Rate is 100% or higher. This Power can be used even when afflicted with the Bad Status Pressure.

Concentrate: Black Dog
Lvl: 2 / 3
Diff: -
Target: -
Rng: -
Description: The user exerts his ability to concentrate

Any check that uses this Power recieves a - (LV) Critical Value bonus (min. 7). When acquiring this Power the User must associate one of his Syndromes and record this Power in the following format: <<Concentrate: Salamandra>>. For other Syndromes, a character must acquire this Power again treat as a seperate Power. In addition, this Power is treated as a Power of the selected Syndrome.

Magnetic Barrier
Lvl: 2 / 3
Encroach: 3
Description: Surround one's self with a magnetic forcefield and utilize its repulsive properties for defense.

Declare when Guarding. For the duration of the Guard, the User recieves a +(Lv)D [Guard] stat bonus.

Lightning Fang
Lvl: 2 / 5
Skill: <Melee> <Ranged>
Description: Make a weapon more difficult to dodge by running an electric current through it

Dodge checks against an attack that use this Power recieve a -(Lv) dice penalty.

Genocide Mode
Lvl: 1 / 3
Skill: <Melee> <Ranged>
Target: Area (Select)
Description: Make one's weapon gigantic and attack several targets at once.

This Power can only target Troops. If an attack that uses this Power hits it target, the Target becomes Incapacitated. This attack cannot deal HP damage. This Power may be used (LV) times per Scenario.

Hundred Guns
Lvl: 1 / 5
Timing: Minor
Description: Transform matter into firearms. The user decides the weapon's appearance.

The User creates and equips a weapon that lasts for the remainder of the Scene. Its data is as follows:
Type: Ranged
Skill: <Ranged>
Acc: +0
Atk Pwr: +5 (Level +4)
Guard: -
Range: 30m

Electronics Master
Lvl: 1
Encroach: -
Description:
Read and write any type of electronic storage medium, such as DVDs or hard drives, without the use of an electronic device. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

Forgery
Description:
Make a perfect forgery of files, official documents, or paper money. The quality of the materials, ink, signatures and even marks from the printing press will be identical to the original. Note that this Power does not give a bonus to <Procure> checks. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

Wall Bypass
Description:
The User can walk through locked rooms, barricade areas, and walls. He will even be able to infiltrate shelters with thick metal walls. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

Skills:
<Range> 2
<Perception> 1
<RC> 1
<Procure> 2
<Negotiate> 1
<Info: UGN> 2
<Info: Business> 1
<Info: Media> 2

Awakening: Forgotten
Impulse: Torture
Encroachment: 32%

Stock: 0
Equipment:
UGN Battle Armor (8 Armor, -0 Dodge, -0 Init)

Loises:

Kazuko Kuro
"I'm number six, Kazuko Kuro. Please enjoy my song!"
Protection / Remorse

- Matoro's nine year old daughter. While his wife knew something of Matoro's struggles, to Kazuko her father was nothing more than a loving if busy man. Her parents' seperation was bewildering and sudden to her, particularly given that her mother pushed to deny Matoro visitation rights. Matoro still keeps an eye on his little girl, sending her mother enough money to ensure that they're provided for, and the two of them keep in contact via e-mail though that's been kept a secret from her mother.

Kazuko has some interest in stage performance and his been practicing song and dance for more than a year now, participating in child pageants and the like with her mother's approval. Matoro thinks she's doing it to feel a little closer to him somehow, and he has to admit that she's got talent. Still, he knows enough about seamy side of show business to be concerned for her wellfare.

Mari "Speed Freak" Zanma (Hanuman / Exile)
"Human beings are limited creatures who have to accept the world they see around them. The Renegade Virus, however, empowers us to make real change. It's not just within our power to make a better world, it's our responsibility. Are you really satisfied with the UGN's half-hearted methods?"
Earnestness / Anger

- Mari Zanma is among the UGN's old guard, having met Professor Caldwell back before the Guardians were anything that could seriously be called a "Network". Like so many of the Professor's associates, she entered into the organizations with the brightest hopes for the future, but the methods they had to use to preserve the peace hardened her heart over the years. She originally believed that Axis had assassinated Caldwell to strengthen their control over the UGN and had stayed with the Agency to try and preserve his dream, but with his reemergence she lost faith in her own righteousness.

Mari's had a lot of influence on how Matoro views the relationship between man and Overed. She brought him into the UGN, and was the senior partner for their unit for years. Though they got along, their relationship has ever been one of mentor and pupil.

Midori "Clean Green" Kano
"Wait, you destroyed the building again!? I just had it rebuilt!"
Sympathy / Shame

- While primarily a field agent, Matoro isn't a stranger to the UGN's cover-up operations. Erasing incriminating data with a touch, counterfitting false evidence that corresponds with the official version of events, and appropriating evidence from highly secured areas are tasks to which his abilities make him particularly suited. It was while working in this capacity that he first met the eternally put-upon head of Midorimaru Cleaning Services.

After the operation in which Mari left the UGN, a combination of lingering loyalty and a desire to handle the issue personally compelled him to ask her for a favor. Simply put, along with the bodies involved, all traces of Mari's having been at the scene were cleared away as well. This allowed Matoro to falsify the report somewhat and protect his old mentor, letting her get away clean.

Of course, Midori still knows what he did, but on some level she understands how personal things can get in this line of work. Besides which, the debt between them isn't something that can be easily cleared away, and with the politically unstable situation in the UGN these days personal favors carry a weight beyond what rank might.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 20, 2014

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
Okay, I think I'm done. Might've overdone it a little, actually.

Hey, Waffleman, I think you forgot to spend your 3 discretionary stat points. Also, no <Art: Legerdemain> to cover stage magic?

Might swap from Agent to Branch Chief if no one else wants the job.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 20, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think I did. It's a WIP anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Quote is not edit

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Alright, here's my WIP. I'll be adding to this in drips and drabs as I go.

Luca "Finding Truths" Jaeger
alternate theme

"Yeah, this is Jaeger...I'm not using that name, it's stupid! Well, maybe it sounds better in Japanese, but "Suche nach Wahrheit" and "Recherche de la Vérité" both sound...aaah, fine...This is "Finding Truths." It's just like I told you, all the activity has moved out of the bay. They made the dead drop two days ago, they've got no reason to stay at the docks and risk getting caught by customs control! They'd have moved the stuff inland, probably to a remote location, rural, mountainside, someplace that doesn't get a whole lot of traffic. Yeah. Yeah, that's what I told you at the office! It's not from any New Man bull, I'm an old hand at detective work! It's just a simple understanding of how smugglers work! I know how to encrypt a smartphone! Fine, I'll report back in. Jaeg--"Finding Truths" out...why didn't I shoot that kid when I had the chance...

Once upon a time, Luca Jaeger was a canton police detective in Zurich. It might not have been the most dangerous or stressful law enforcement position in the world, but he still held his position with an efficiency that could only be called "Germanic". So when a certain post-Christmas riot blew up in everybody's faces, Luca was one of the first ones on the scene trying to figure out what was happening. And woe of woes, he happened upon...

UGN Major Mistake, Lois: Gjaum
LoisTitus: Robin "Earth's Dirge"...Perlbell? Caudwell?

Anger / Sympathy
"Holy crap, the whole drat building came down! Alright, set up a perimeter, I'm going to check for survivors...hello?"
"..."
"Huh? Hey, there's a kid in here! Hey, kid!
"...are you my father...?"
"Uh...no...what's your father look like, kid?"
"His name...is Iscariot..."
"Iscariot? You mean like the--"
"You aren't worthy...of speaking...to me...as an equal..."
"Kid?"
"...for your insolence..."
"Kid?!"
"DIE!"
"AAAAGH!"
"Luca, what happ--oh my god!" *bang bang bang* "Grk!"

That drat kid...killed half his unit and nearly killed him, too! The only thing that kept him alive was his anger at being blind-sided by a supernaturally powered kid and getting men he trusted and befriended killed. His anger...which fueled the Renegade. That's where he awoke as an Overed: in the ruins of a collapsed music school, lying flat on his back with two busted eardrums and a ton of internal bleeding. Not a good first impression for a new world of traitors. And one that was made even worse by the "evidence collection squad" that came through and collected all the evidence. Like his comrades' bodies, felled by light...and half the rubble he was sitting on, contaminated by Renegade blood...he himself was mistaken for a corpse--only a sudden shout when they lifted him up prevented him from being zipped up into a biohazard body bag.

He didn't know it then, but the collection group wasn't Zurich Polizei. They were the Universal Guardian Network, and they were making sure that the Renegade induced mess that had happened wouldn't spread outside of the city boundaries. And that meant that no evidence or witnesses of what had happened could remain to be picked over by Sky News and tabloid magazines. So, the physical evidence got swept up and away into vans that looked like police vans but weren't. And the living witnesses fell into one of two categories--Gjaum (most of them), to be captured or killed as possible, and sane (like Luca), who couldn't be left to talk about what had happened to the media's recording smartphones and microphones. And so when he finally awoke from his wounds, he was in a hospital bed, hooked up to machines whose purpose he could divine after a moment's focus...on the other side of the world. How could he tell? Well, he had told himself, the flowers on the window weren't native to Switzerland, the sun's angle was all wrong for the time of day listed on the clock...and then he stopped thinking and started panicking. What the heck had happened to him?!

Encounter Master, Lois: Yugo Kiritani
Lois: Yugo "Leviathan" Kiritani

Suspicion / Respect
"Oh, you're awake. We'd expected you to remain in hibernation for another week."
"What the hell did you do to me?! Why am I in Japan?!"
"We did nothing to you, I assure you. And I'm impressed. You've already figured out--"
"Where's Parkreiner?! Jacob?! Ritter?!"
"Dead, dead, and better off dead. Listen to me, you need to calm down..."
"I'm being held against my will, my friends and colleagues are dead, my brain is completely scrambled, and you're telling me--"
"You can calm down now, or I can have security restrain you until you do. Use that Neumann mind of yours."
"Neumann? What's a Neumann?"
"Listen to me and I'll tell you..."

Yugo talked fast, and Luca learned faster--about what he'd turned into, about what had happened in Zurich, about why the it was a mercy for the Gjaumed Ritter to not be around anymore. And about why they couldn't let him go back to Zurich. So with a lot of swearing he waved his hands and agreed to use UGN housing and become a probationary agent for spending money, at least until arrangements could be worked out for his return to a "normal" life. Normal, hah! The word turned to ashes as soon as he said it.

T-Lois: Avenger
once per scenario, damage bonus of Max HP-Current HP; change a Lois to a Titus

"That bastard, this is all his fault!"
"Whose fault?"
"That kid! That kid from the broken academy! He's the reason I can't go home...he's why I'm out here in Japan...he's why my brain is screaming at me right now!"
"That kid...was it a music academy?"
"Yeah, yeah, I think it was! But why do you care?!"
"I think I know who you're talking about."
"You do?!"
"Yes. He's an enemy of our...organization. And we've been doing our best to track him since Zurich."
"Well, where is he?!"
"We think he's here. In Japan. And if you want to go after him--"
"Yes, yes!"
"--you'll need a weapon much more potent then what I'm sure you carried in Zurich."
"Show me, show me!"

Whatever Neumann strain Luca had running around in his head was working overtime to boost his brainpower, especially when focusing on that kid. Very handy for a detective, if it didn't come with severe migraines. And they seemed to come in full force whenever he kept his brain too idle for too long. The best way to keep them down, it was agreed, was to put him in the field and exercise it like a horse. And so he trotted out into the unfamiliar streets of Kariya (although they became pretty drat familiar as soon as he saw a map) to investigate this "Solomon's Key" thing. And rumors from the UGN that a kid travelling alone on a Swiss passport had entered Japan as a migrant and inquired after the same item. Here's to a new case...and a new name...and a new life...

Personal Data
Name: Luca Jaeger
Codename: Finding Truths
Work: UGN Agent B
Cover: Private Investigator
Origin: Understanding Parents. Not used--switching to T-Lois
Experience: Major Mistake (Robin ********, Gjaum)
Encounter: Master (Yugo Kiritani, UGN Japan Chief)
Awakening: Anger (ER 17)
Impulse: Hatred (ER 18)

Statline (30 xp)
Neumann: Body 0, Sense 0, Mind 3, Social 1
Pure: Body 0, Sense 0, Mind 3, Social 1
Work: Body 0, Sense 1, Mind 0, Social 0
Buy: Body 1, Sense 0, Mind 1, Social 1 (30 xp)
Final: Body 1, Sense 1, Mind 7, Social 3

Derived Stats
Max HP: Body*2 + Mind + 20 = 29
Initiative: Sense*2 + Mind = 9
Move: Init + 5 = 14
Dash: Move * 2 = 28
Base ER: 35%

Skills (7 xp)
Range (sense): 1 free + 1 (2 xp)
Perception (sense): 1 free
RC (mind): 1 free
Will (mind): 1 (2 xp)
Procure (Social): 1 free + 1 (2 xp)
Info (UGN) (Social): 1 free
Info (Police) (Social): 1 (1 xp)

Powers (90 xp)
Resurrect Lvl 1 Encroach: varies, Skill: none, Target: Self, Timing: Auto
When KOed, raise HP and ER by 1d10

Warding Encroach: N/A, Skill: none, Target: Scene, Timing: Auto
Non-protected non-Overeds run away...

Concentrate: Neumann Lvl 3 Encroach: 2, Skill: Syndrome, Target: Self, Timing: Auto (25 xp)
Checks that use this power have a critical value of 7

Mental Comand Encroach:2 Skill: Ranged, Target: Self, Timing: Auto (15 xp)
Use mind when doing Ranged attacks

Combat System Lvl 1 Encroach: 3 Skill: Ranged, Range: Close, Timing: Major/Reaction (15 xp)
+LVL+1 dice to ranged attacks

Intercepting Bullet Encroach: 5 Skill: Ranged, Target: Self, Timing: Auto (15 xp)
Can intercept attacks as a Reaction when in the pre-action state

Undefeated Genius Lvl 2 Encroach: 6, Skill: Negotiation, Target: Scene (Select), Timing: Major (20 xp)
Allies get LVL*4 damage bonus

Profiling Simple Power
Sherlock scan anybody

Photographic Memory Simple Power
Perfect memory

Ultimate Appraisal Simple Power
Analyze any item

Items (18 xp)
Stock Points: 0
Cursed Gun (-1 Acc, 9 Atk, 18 xp, 20m range)
UGN Battle Armor (8 stock)
Memento (Zurich Police Badge, +1 Will)
Weapon Case (for UGN battle armor)
All 0 stock items

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 1, 2014

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Now with a better theme song!
Jan "TigerMax" Smith

This is what I look like in my dreams. So coooooool!

This is what I really look like. Wait, why is my tongue sticking out? Oh, I remember, Mako took me to this place with great fried stuff and I still had some sauce on my lips. Mmm...

Simple Summary: Jan Smith is not her real name. Her "name" is a series of numbers and letters. She is a Renegade Being created by the mysterious Mendel Biomedical with the intent to push the possibilities of the Renegade virus. When Jan and her siblings were deemed failures, her "parents" staged a jailbreak. Ever since, they've been hiding out in an apartment in the city, trying their best to seem as normal as possible. After about a year out of the Lab, Jan has chafed at her parents' restrictions, wanted to breakout herself. In part thanks to the guidance of the strange Renegade Being Cesario, she's been inspired to use her powers to help people.

quote:

Name: Jan Smith
Code Name: Lunar Magical Maiden Pretty Selene. Or maybe TigerMAX. Or maybe Thunderbeast. Ooooooh or what about...
Breed: Crossbreed
Syndrome: Chimaera/Hanuman
Work: Renegade Being A Cover: High School Student
Base Encroachment Rate: 35
pre:
Stats:
Body		6
Sense 		2
Mind 		1
Social 		3

Skills:
Melee		2
Dodge		2
Range		1
Will		1
Ride: Two Wheel	2
Negotiation	1
RC		1
Art: Rock	1

Life History:
Origin: Renegade Family
Awakening: Experimentation (16)
Impulse: Hunger (14)
Encounter: "Cesario" - Teacher

HP: 34/34
Initiative: 5
Move: 10m	Dash: 20m	Bicycle: 46m
Stock: 6	Savings: 0
Powers:
Humanity’s Neighbor
LV: 1/5
DIFF: Auto
Range: Close
Encroach: Base +5
Details: Constant +LV dice impulse check bonus

Origin: Human
LV: 1/5
Details: For duration of Scene, any of the User's checks using Powers receive a +LV bonus to final score

Resurrect
LV: 1/3
Restrict: <100%
Encroach: Equal to HP recovered
Details: Declare when Incapacitated or Scene ends. Recover (LV)D HP, even if suffering Pressure Status.

Warding
LV: 1/1
Range: View
Details: Knock out all normal people in area.

Complete Therianthropy
Encroach: 6
Details: +LV+2 Dice Bonus to all Body checks. May use only Weapon: Fists

Reaming Claw
LV: 1/10
Details: For Scene, Fists become Reaming Claws

Dragon Scales
LV: 3/3
Timing: Reaction
Details: Power may be used as a Reaction to attacks directed towards me. Gain +30 Armor + any worn armor

Hawk Wings
Details: Grow wings and attain Flight for Scene. +LV dice Dodge bonus

Qinggong (Simple)
Details: Run on walls or over water

Air Instrument (Simple)
Target: Refer
Details: Perfect playback and the best air guitar in the world.

Dormant Genes (Simple)
Details: Assume the shape of an animal for long periods of time.

Weapons:
Reaming Claw: +LV+8 Attack/1 Guard = 9/1. With T-Lois: 15/1

Armor:
Secondhand Leather Jacket That Says "NO MOON" On The Back, I Dunno : 2 Armor [4]

Items:
That Sweet Fixed-Gear That I Found in a Dumpster: Attack Power 2, Initiative -1, Dash: 46m
Cellphone, School Uniform

Loises:
T-Lois: Tyrannos: +6 melee attack power, weapons tend to break easily

“Best Friend For Life” Mako Nakamura: Friendship/Alienation
“Um…Jan?”
“What is it, Mako-chan?”
“How…I’ve never seen someone ride a bike like that before, is all.”
“You mean, you’ve never seen someone this cool ride a bike, right?”
Mako, exasperated, mutters something unkind towards Jan to herself as she walks over to help her friend learn how to ride a bike. Step One: Sit facing front.

“My Family” The Smith Family: Protection/Anger
Note: The Smith family consists of Mike (Exile/Hanuman), Carol (Neumann/Chimaera), Greg (Hanuman/Neumann), Marcy (Exile/Neumann), Jan (Chimaera/Hanuman), and Bobby (Normal-ish)

It’s three AM. Jan is only just getting home. Her hair is a mess and she’s covered in dirt. She tries to creep in without waking anyone up; not an easy task with a family of Overeds.
“You’re home.”
Jan stops cold. “…Hi, Dad.”
“Sit.” He pats a chair next to him, in the kitchen.”
“I didn’t think you would be home. I thought you were—”
“I finished up early at the shop. Thought I would have a bit of something before bed, but I didn’t hear you in bed.”
“Dad, I was just—”
“First, let me speak. I know it’s hard, living here. Since the lab, we have all struggled, you children most of all.”
Jan just looks down, unsure of what to say. She knows her family wouldn’t approve of her…extracurriculars.
“Hey, what’s going—” Greg pokes his head into the kitchen, “Whoa, butterfingers is busted!”
“Ugh, butt-out Greg, you’re such a—”
“Greg, please, I’m having a talk with your sister. Please go back to bed before—”
“Hey, Jan!”
“Ugh. Hi, Bobby.”
“Your hair looks like an octopus.”
“Yeah, well, so does your face.”
“Children—”
At that moment, Marcy tries to sneak past the family, having had a night of her own. Seeing everyone in the kitchen, she tries to slink back out, Exile-style.
“Stop right there!”
Suddenly, a growl shakes the Smith household. The father, Mike, sighs. “Now you’ve woken your mother up. Wonderful.”

Background
“What the f--?” The nasty man yelped before crashing to the ground. He obviously didn’t expect to be flying today. Because I can fly. I think I forgot to mention that. I can do other things, but I thinking flying is probably the coolest of them. Mako-chan says that I sing pretty well too, but that’s just because I got Daddy’s powers too, so it’s nothing much.

“Where was I—oh sugar! I was narrating again, wasn’t I?” The baddie starts to regain his feet, holding the bloody mess of his nose in one hand. Of course, I couldn’t let him get away, so I kicked his butt again. He might have gone a bit further than I wanted him to. I’m pretty strong for my size. Or any size. I probably should have mentioned that.

“Ow! My rear end!” Laid out on the ground, he rubbed his bruised bottom. “What are you?”

I struck my hero pose, with my wings wide—I mentioned those, right? That’s how I fly, stupid. “I’m Lunar Magical Maiden Pretty Selene (working title) here to kick your butt.” I struck another pose, for good measure. You can never strike too many poses, you know.

The man groaned again. “What did I do to deserve this…?” I answered by lifting him up by his collar. I mean, sure, his knees were practically still on the ground, but come on, it’s still scary. “You stole from Mrs. Nakamura, Evildoer! Change your ways or we’ll be meeting again very soon!”

The man groaned, “God, yes, yeah, whatever, just get the hell away from me!” After that he ran off and I never saw him again. I sort of hope he turned over a new leaf, but whatever. He was a jerk. He robbed Mako-chan’s apartment! The place looked like, well, what the old lab looked like when we left. The creep even took Mako’s diary! What kind of perv takes a girl’s diary? I didn’t really get the point of a diary until she explained it to me, but I tell you, once I got it I was mighty teed off! I managed to get that back, though not much else.

Mako is my best friend, by the way. I think I forgot to mention that. My only friend too. But if I had a bunch of friends, I’m sure she’d still by the best one. Top five. At least top ten. Anyway, she’s great. She teaches me a lot about how to live in the city, though I knows how much she’s really helped me. Only other person who’s come close is Cesario. She’s so weird but she knows so much about what it’s like to, you know, be like this. Sometimes I feel like I can rely on her to help me with anything, to tell me anything. She’s even the one who gave me the courage to start helping people. Other times, well, it’s hard to depend on someone who shares a body with someone who has no idea! Still, it’s good to talk about this stuff to someone outside of the family. She listens to my Overed stuff (when I can find her) and Mako is always there for everything else.

I…I feel like I forgot something. Oh. Oh right! I still haven’t said anything about the lab, or our daring escape, or how I’m not human. Well, not entirely. The way Mom puts it, we’re a lot of a lot of things. Some Human, to start, but also Ape, Rat, and a bunch of birds and fishes and lizards. A bunch of Dog. It’s why my teeth look so weird and my eyes sometimes turn yellow—also why I always have my trusty sunglasses handy!

But yeah, I was born in a lab. Well, not born. Sort of…flushed from a tube, I guess. I don’t remember it, of course, but Mom was very clear on stuff like that. See, except for Bobby, we’ve all got those powers you might have heard about. Mom’s make her smart and stuff, Dad’s make him really flexible and fast. Actually, everyone got Mom’s smarts but me. But I got her other power, so NYAH! Greg, I don’t care that you can do everything faster than me, or how Marcy’s powers…UGH! My life sucks so much!

I mean, it used to suck worse. In the Lab. Mendel Biomedical ran it; they’re the huge company that made us and my grandparents. I never met them, but Mom and Dad said they were nice enough. I’m what the researchers called a Third Generation Renegade Being. My parents were second, blah blah blah, you get it. Mom and Dad were always with us, but those days seem like a weird dream now. Just hanging around with Mom, Dad, Greg, Marcy, and Bobby and watching whatever TV they’d let us see. Usually the Brady Bunch. Then every so often, the Researchers would appear, and everything would change. I still get nightmares about it. They never treated us…bad, really, it’s just, whenever they showed up, that was the only time I’d ever see Mom and Dad get even a little scared. And the way they looked at us, it’s like we weren’t even there. So creepy.

About a year ago…Well sort of a year ago. We found that part out later. A year ago, Mom and Dad decided that we had to escape, they told us the truth, as best as they could figure it. We were part of a big experiment. They didn’t know they longterm goal, but they knew that they expected me, my sister, and my brothers to be something called Tribreeds. I had heard the researchers call us Crossbreeds, and I had bet that they definitely didn’t get what they wanted from poor Bobby. He had no powers at all, and still doesn’t. Mom knew what they did with specimens they didn’t need. She told us why we never saw our grandparents. And she told us what was going to happen to us if we didn’t get away.

They planned for months, paying careful attention to the researchers in case we ran out of time early. I didn’t see what happened that night, but I heard a lot of terrible noises. Mom and Dad had told us to shut our eyes and cover our ears, but we still heard. And when they came back, we could smell the blood. I don’t like to think about the night we got out.

When we were free, we learned so much so fast. The outside world was so different from TV! Mom and Dad were able to get us a safe place pretty quick. Now that I think about it, they’re pretty scary, huh! Scary awesome! We all settled into our new lives. Mom goes around collecting change and turning it into big money in the stock market through…magic, I think. I’m pretty sure it’s not illegal. At least, she tells me that it’s technically not illegal yet. Dad is a handyman. He loves his job, because he’s the best at unclogging drains with his stretchy hands and he’s never late when a client calls. I’m real proud of my Dad. Us kids went to High School; different ones, of course. Jerky Greg and Marcy got into smarty schools (cheaters), while me and Bobby got into our school. You know, I COULD have used my powers to cheat too, but I’m principled! Also, the exam commissioner? Not a cat or a dog person. Freak!

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 17, 2014

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Masou Sadou

"Welcome to Mgronald's, may I take your order?"

Background:

When you get right down to it, Sadao blames his parents. If they'd hadn't given him a name that sounds...like it does, he probably wouldn't have been picked on at school for it to the point that he snapped and started fighting back. Which somehow snowballed into a city-wide rep, and then region-wide, and people forming a gang of underlings in his name and eventually getting stuck with the nickname of "The Sadistic Devil of Kariya". (A turn of phrase that's never actually used in his hearing by the same person more than once, with a few exceptions who are very good at dodging.)

If he hadn't gotten dragged into fight after fight largely against his will, he probably wouldn't have ever gotten into the circumstances that led his renegade virus going active, and he wouldn't occasionally turn into what looks like an actual devil, which of course only lead to even more misunderstandings, and nearly being gunned down as a Gjaum by a UGN investigation team.

If he hadn't weirded out the UGN recruiter by explaining that no, he wanted to go to college and get a good job, maybe in the civil service, not fight monsters for a secret organization, he might be doing something besides working as a counter monkey at a burger joint while studying for exams.

But really, the way he figures it, it all comes down to his parents sticking him with a terrible, terrible name, which is why he doesn't feel all that bad about keeping them in the dark about either his unfortunate delinquent past or his present status as a UGN illegal. They just think his part-time job pays a lot better than it actually does, supplemented as it is by the occasional consultant paycheck.

Right now, he's trying to leave his past and his followers in "The Devil's own" gang behind- he's appointed a successor and ordered them not to bother him at work. This hasn't worked as well as it could have, especially as street rumors are still being spread around even two years later, much to his annoyance.

Loises

Haruaki Jun (Poor Origin: Friend (Subtype: Bad friend.)

"Don't worry, I've been telling them nothing but good things, would I lie to you, Sadao-kun?"
"Yes. Yes you would."
"Well, I may have mentioned that you're the sadistic devil king of Kariya and that your vision is attracted to movement so they have to stay very, very still..."
"Juuuuuuuun...!"

Emotions: Annoyance (Fellowship)

Haruaki Jun's has known Sadao since they were both in elementary school, and thus is in on the secret: That Sadao hates his name, hates his rep, and just wants to be a respectable person. He finds this incredibly amusing and keeps the rumors going and has been spreading new ones for fun. Uncanny ability to get out of the way when Sadao throws something comically large at him. Nonetheless, they are friends. Somehow.

Ilyana Simonov, UGN agent (Criminal Experience: Legend: Witness to the legend.)

"I am only following orders, of course. I have no wish to be in the presence of such a horrible beast for a minute longer than I have to be."
"So your orders are to come here, order the same burger set with the crinkle fries every night, and charge it to a UGN credit card?"
"Shut up! And refill my drink."

Emotions: Good Will (Reservation)

Half Russian with a Japanese mother, Ilyana was the UGN agent on scene when Sadao's renegade went active. She almost made the call to shoot him down, largely on the strength that his transformed form almost exactly resembled a storybook devil from book she owned as a child. Fortunately cooler heads prevailed. Now she's been assigned as his liason. Neither of them are entirely happy with this, but Sadao's mostly just vaguely amused at her discomfort.

T-lois: Tyrannos. (Replaces Encounter)

Even before his renegade awoke, Sadao was ridiculously, massively strong, despite his looks. Now he's even worse able to lift cars and uproot things like vending machines and parking meters. He's extremely careful at work, but when he's not paying attention he can casually destroy things without realizing it.

quote:

Name: Masou Sadao
Codename: Sadistic Devil
Cover: Delinquent
Work: Part-timer.
Breed: Cross
Syndrome: Chimaera/Salamandra
Origin: Poor (Friend)
Experience (Criminal): Underground Legend.
Encounter: (None, replaced with Tyrannos)
Awakening: Anger
Impulse: Release
Starting Encroachment: 35.

Stats:

Body 7
Senses 1
Mind 2
Social 2

Skills:
Melee 4
Ride: Two-wheels 2
Will: 1
Knowledge: Fast Food 1
Knowledge: Gangs of Aichi Prefecture 1
Info: Internet 1
Procure: 1
Perception: 1

Max HP: 36
Initiative: 4

Powers

<<Warding>> 1
<<Resurrect>> 1
<<Concentrate: Chimaera>> 2

Physique Maintenance: 1/1

DFCLTY: Auto
RNG: Close

Sadao gets most of his meals from the free lunch provided at his fast food job and works a lot of overtime on top of staying up late studying. Somehow, he doesn't wreck his health.

Cat Eyes: 1/1
Timing Constant
DFLCTY: Auto
Target: SElf

Whenever he wants, he can see in the dark, though the GM can call for a perception check.

Fireproof Body: 1/1

He's immune to temperature extremes and takes no damage from normal flames or cold weather. Doesn't work on hot/cold -attacks-, though it does make it easier to clean the grill.

Complete Therianthropy: 2
Encroach 6

When activating this power, Sadao becomes a red skinned, horned monstrosity that resembles something like western depictions of the devil. +4 dice to all body checks.

Flying Debris: 2
Skill: Melee
Dflcty: Opposed
Range: 20M
Restrict:-

Melee attacks that use this power are modified to range: 20M. Atk power is locked at +4 (+10 with Tyrannos)and the attack power of equipped weapons cannot be added. Cannot target characters in his engagement, can be used twice a scene.

Reaming Claw: 1

Dfclty: Auto
Restrict: -

Transforms his fists into weapons with the following statblock: (For Sadao, it's not so much 'claws' as harder, tougher fists with improved striking surfaces. Like wearing a set of meat-and-bone cestus.)

Type: Melee Skill: Melee
Acc: 0
Guard: 1
Atk power: +15

Heat Haze: 1
Skill: Dodge
Timing: Reaction
Dfclty: Opposed
Restrict:-

Creates a tangible, vision blurring heat haze, adding +2 dice to dodge checks.

Equipment
Stock: 6

Starting gear: Bicycle, Leather Jacket (Armor 2.)

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 1, 2014

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Liam Rottamund

Every since he could remember, Liam had been raised in one of City N's orphanages. It wasn't as bad as all the cliches would have lead you to believe. The carers cared, the other kids were alright and the food was actually above average. All told, things could have been a lot worse. Okay, so no one wanted to take him home, but he was cool with that. Since that would take him away from his friends. The local wildlife. He was a problem child, in that he was always causing problems for everyone. He was often collard walking the halls at night, no matter how many locked doors were in his way. Or he was found playing with pigeons in the playground. With each time he was caught breaking curfew, he was punished. Each time he was punished, he strived to do what he wanted even more. Eventually he just left, filled with childish arrogance, a want to be free to live how he wanted to and a deep lack of understanding of how difficult it would be to homeless.

"An' that's where I come in. Nice ta meet'cha. Been livin' round here for a few years now. Gotta cosy little place in an abandoned buildin' a few blocks over. The roof's got holes in but ya just gotta see what it looks like in the mornin' when the sun hits it just right. Speakin' of which, ya wanted ta know 'bout me history and that? Sure, I'll tell ya. So there I waz, fresh out on the streets with nothin' but me animal friends and what I'd been taught at the old orphan house. So of course I wuz pretty much dead meat. Nothin' really prepares ya for it, but ya just gotta adapt. Which wuz what I did. I've always had a gift with animals, they're me friends and help me out when times were rough. It's how I found the soup kitchens, the tomcats loved it round there because one of da volunteers liked to feed them. So after weeks of barely scrapin' by I borrowed one of them cats. That's not weird is it? Ah hell it probably is. Anyway, I got chased away by Eliza-sensei like nine times. But maybe that's cause I was tryin' ta nick the bread they serve. So I went in as me and he just gave me this look. Like he knew it was me before." He leans in close "but that's the look he gives everyone. That's a secret by tha way, I normally charge for that, but you can have that one for free" He winks and leans back

"But I had food now an' even though Eliza didn't know it I'd got myself a teacher. The other guys were pretty cool too. They'd been around the block for a while. So they taught me too! Where ta get extra clothes, where to avoid so ya don't get your head kicked in. Ya could say I wuz the babby of the group. Heh, but it wuz cool for a while, I tried busking but it really wuzn't for me. But I wuz good at talkin' to people. When they understand me anyway, and ya hear some interestin' things when ya a rat in the wall. Uh... that's the borrowin' animals again. Eventually I got ta hear some people wanted to know some of the things I knew. That's how I started, I traded secrets for a few favours and soon had myself a tasty little business. Me animal friends are like me agents, no one'd take me serious if a kid turned up. But a single white cat turns up and hands ya the info ya want? Gives ya a certain rep. Plus since I use all sortsa different animals it's really hard for anyone to intercept them. I've even got an actual grape vine in me hideaway! So when someone says 'a little birdie told them' ya know it was me. Now that I got these connections though, I wanna find about where I came from. Gotta be a reason I'm here right? There's a tension in the air, somethin's gonna go down. Just gotta make sure to be tha first one to know about it."

quote:

Code Name: Little King
Breed: Pure-breed
Syndrome: Orcus
Work: Informant
Cover: Homeless kid
base encroachment: 29
HP: 27
Initiative: 7
move: 12
Dash: 24
Saving Points: 1

History
Origin: Alone - you do not have a family (Confidant)
Experience: Legend - you are an underground legend (Witness to the legend) not used
Encounter: Endearment - You feel the need to protect this person (Therese Blum page 340)
Awakening: Unknown - You've always had powers. It's origin are a mystery, but you feel a certain sense of destiny
Impulse: Hunger - There's a hole in your heart that cannot no matter what you eat. You will stop at nothing to fill this hole

Stats.
Body - 2
Sense - 2
Mind - 3
Social - 5

Powers
<<Resurrect>> page 219
Timing: auto
RNG: Close
Encroach: Refer
heal personal injuries
Declare when Incapacitated or when the Scene ends. Recover from Incapacitation with (LV0D HP. The User increases his Encroachment Rate equal to the amount of HP re-covered. This power cannot be used when the User's Encroachment Rate is 100% or higher. This Power can be used even when afflicted with the Bad Status Pressure.

<<Warding>> page 219
RNG: View
Release a special substance into the air that will knock out normal people.
This Power can be used at any time. All non-Overed characters in this Scene become Extras. All Overeds that are in the Scene will automatically sense that this Power was used. The effects of this Power continue throughout the Scene.

<<Concentrate: Orcus>> page 219
LV: 2/3
DFCLTY: -
RNG: -
The user exerts his ability to concentrate.
Any check that uses this Power receives a - (LV) Critical Value bonus (min. 7). When acquiring this Power, the User must associate one of his Syndromes and record this Power in the following format: <<Concentrate: Salamandra>>. For other Syndromes, a character must acquire this Power again treat as a separate Power. In addition, this Power is treated as a Power of the selected Syndrome.

<<Handling>> page 194
RNG: close
The user sends a controlled animal into a Scene as his substitute.
Declare when entering a Scene. A controlled animal enters the Scene as the User's substitute. During this Scene, the score of the User's [Sense] checks receive a + [LV + 3] bonus, but <<Animal Tamer>> is unusable. Stats and damage are shared between the User and the animal.

<<Shrinking Earth>> page 190
LV: 2/5
The user can manipulate the distance in their Domain in order to move more freely.
Declare right before performing a Move or Dash. Instantly Move to any area on the Scene. The User may also Break Away at this time. This Power may be used (LV) times per Scenario.

<<Animal Tamer>> page 190
Timing: Major/Reaction
DFCLTY: -
RNG: -
Use particles to take control of animals.
Any check that uses this Power receives a + [LV +1] dice bonus.

<<Thorn Constraints>> page 192
LV: 2/10
Timing: major
DFCLTY: Opposed
Tie down a target with the plants that exist within one's Domain
Perform an [Atk. Power: +LV] ranged attack. If an attack that uses this Power deals at least one point of HP damage, the Target will receive the Bad Status Rigor.

<<Sharp Ears>> page 197
Expand one's Domain and become aware of everything that occurs within it. The user will be informed of any incidents that happen in the Domain. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

<<Cat's Path>> page 197
Utilize one's Domain to create paths in unusual places, thus allowing for the ability to freely move within one's Domain. With this Power, one can use shortcuts that no one knows of. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

<<Enhanced Growth>> page 197
Target: Scene(select)
Enhance the growth of all plant life in one's Domain by injecting particles into them. User decides how big he wants the plants to grow. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

Skills
<Range> 1
<dodge>1
<perception>1
<negotiate>2
<Procure>1
<RC>1
<knowledge Underworld>2
<knowledge Goings on of City N>3

Equipment
stock points - 12

pocket switchblade (2 stock) Skill: <Melee>/<Range>, Acc: 0 Atk. Pwr: 2, Guard: 0, Rng: Close/ 10M
Layered Donated Clothes (1 stock) Type: Armor, Dodge: -, Initiative: -, Armor: 1,
Burner phone Cellphone Type: Other
Connection: UGN Leadership (1 stock) <Info:UGN>
Connection: Rumor-Mongering Friend (1 Stock) <Info:Rumor>
Connection: Police Officer (1 Stock) <Info:Police>
Connection: Researcher (1 stock) <Info: Academic>
Connection: Informant (1 Stock) <Info: Underworld>
Connection: Mercenary (1 stock) <info: Military>
Connection: Hacker (1 stock) <Info: Web>
Connection: Corporate Executive (1 stock) <Info: Business>

Loises:

Eliza-Sensei <Confidant> - <Earnestness/Anxiety>

"Hello Eliza-Sensei. What'cha doin'?
"Are you back again? I've told you before. Don't call me your Sensei. And learn to speak properly!"
"Yes sir, Eliza-Sensei!"
"You're beginning to try my patience kid."
"Oh, sorry 'bout that. I had a question though. I heard that flowers had like meanin's and stuff? What would be the best kind to say sorry to someone?"
"Why the hell are you asking me? You think I know about flowers? Get the gently caress out of here"
"Oh, right, it's just... Well, if not you, then who should I ask?"
Eliza glares at him before sighing deeply "Alright, but don't you dare tell anyone what I'm going to tell you..."

I met Eliza-Sensai when he wuz volunteering in one o' da soup kitchens which feed the homeless throughout the city. He's some kinda retired soldier or something, although I never looked in-ta what kind. He don't really like talkin' 'bout it and calls ya nosy if you ask. So I respected his privacy. Plus he's got this wicked glare I never seen anyone match if ya get on his bad side. Sensai could probably stare down a marble statue and win. He's very stern 'bout everythin'. Like you can't do nothin' right no matter how well ya do it. But I'll show him. One day he's gonna look at me and give this little nod of approval. I just know it.

Anyway, he taught me like... 60% of what I know. So he's like the pa I never had. But I doubt he see it that way. He taught me the way I live me life. "If ya without use, ya might as well be dead" sent a chill down me spine when he said that. So I try ta live up to it. Sure, he waz yellin' it at the coffee machine but it wuz like he was talkin' to me and only me. When I got a doubt, I go see him and he sets me straight right quick.

Kenta Tanaka <Journalist> - <Curiosity/Threat>

"Lot of people think to be a good journalist you've got to be smart. But you don't, you've got to be lucky. You've got to be there at the right time. Oh it helps to be smart, don't get that wrong. But it's all about luck. The right person, in the right place at the right time. Or something like that. I've always got it right. That's why I'm giving you this lecture. All you greenhorns that are hoping to follow in my footsteps. I remember when I was like you, I would do anything for that big break. Anything. There was the hunger. The need to succeed at any cost. That's the passion you need. Do you feel me? I hope you do. Otherwise, little fishes. You're going to get gobbled up."

Ugh... This guy. Back when I was gettin' established, I wuz lookin' for a contact in the news industry. Tryin' ta get the low down about things further afield than good old N. Folks'd pay good money ta know a thing or two before everyone else, see? So as I were lookin', I find this guy. He's this big meathead intern hopin' ta make it as a "real" journalist. He needed some dirt on a couple a crooks he was journalistin' for his first big break. So I do him a solid and throw him a couple of juicy bones for free. All good right? Back scratchin' each other. He makes it big and he owes me a favour an I'd collect on it for a scoop of my own when he's in a position to pay. Or so I think. It's as I'm beddin' down for da night he finds me. Grabs me and bungs me 'cross the room like a sack o' potatoes. I was less careful back then.

He starts ta choke me out, sayin' me tips weren't good enough. He needed more an' was pretty insistent that I'd be givin' 'em to him. I'm gonna be honest here, I panicked. Who wouldn't? I was probably 12 at the time. Started blubberin' an just went kinda crazy. Good pal o' mine, Buddy, heard my cries came ta my rescue. He's a good dog. Bit the fucke- I mean, the guy, in the leg. He let go and I ran for it. He stated screamin' about how he was gonna get me and I'd pay. Had ta go into hiding for weeks. Even now just seein' him makes me sweat and wanna run. But no matter how I feel about tha guy, I was right. He's got a talent at what he does, I just hope I don't hav'ta stoop to contactin' him.

Therese Blum <Endearment - You feel the need to protect this person><inferiority> (page 340)

"Could you tell me more?"

Afta that little fiasco with that Saitei poo poo of a journalist. The UGN weren't far behind. Guy musta put a hit out on me. No one ever taught me anythin' 'bout bein' a Overed. Didn't really know what one was till they found me but that prick musta sussed me out somehow. I guess I thought I wuz like a superhero of somethin'? Anyway, I got lucky. Durin' the man-hunt this cutie-pie called Therese Blum found me. She had this owl on her shoulder so I knew she weren't no threat. Animals were good to me an' she had one followin' her around. Soooo... We clicked. She sent her agents off in a different direction while she talked ta me. She's a year older than me, but she lives in a real house and stuff. She taught me 'bout the Overed world and what the UGN were. She's tryin' to change the world for the better, an' said I could help her. Flattered though I was, I didn't like the idea of being locked up in some kinda facility bein' prodded and poked. But I thought I could be more of a help where I wuz. So If I get any juicy info tha' might help her. I send it her way, especially if . In return I get ta stay where I am with me friends. I owe her me freedom and I hope ta repay her for her kindness.

JohnOfOrdo3 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 31, 2014

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
WIP
Haruko
Muruyama

"I finally made some friends

Haruko was born into a life of privilege to two workaholic parents. Growing up she barely interacted with her family except for during their frequent moves across the globe. Constantly moving around made it difficult for her to make friends as well. Hoping to finally gain something of a social life she some how awakened into an Overed, able to create imaginary friends of blood.

quote:

yndromes: Orcus/Bram Stoker

Work:  High School Student
Cover:  High School Student

Body: 3
Sense: 3
Mind: 3
Social: 3

Max HP:  28

Powers:
<<Warding>>
<<Conentration:Bram Stoker>>
<<Resurrect>>

Red Servant
Diff:Auto
Encroach: 5
Create a Servant (Pg13)

The Voicless
The number of creatable Servants is increased by =(LV) units. User Base Encroachment increases by 7 when power is acquired.

Caged Area
Diff:Opposed
Target:Single
Create a Servant (Pg13)
Perform a ranged attack, if the attack hits its target, The Target receives the Bad Status Pressure and Dazed. Can be used (LV) times per scenario

Rising Earth
Target: Area(Select)
Declare before HP Damage is dealt to Target. The Target's expected HP Damage is reduced by (LVX4) This Power may only be used once per round.

<<Telekinesis>>1
<<Devoted Gears>>1
<<The Emperor's New Colothing>>1

Skills:
<Dodge>2
<Perception>2 
<RC>2
<Info:Rumor>3
<Melee>2

Origin:  Powerful Bloodline(Lois: Personal Tutor)
Experience: Overseas Life (Foreign Friend)
Encounter: Memory Gap( Lois:Alfred J Caudwell)

Awakening: Yearning(17)
Impulse: Release(18)
Encroachment: 42

<Missing image because I could not find anything suitable yet>
Renee Mack
(Nostalgia/Apathy)
"So what is like finally being back in Japan? Well anyways I have to disconnect soon though- timezones and all that"
Renee was a classmate of hers back when her family had her going to school overseas. She is a tad hyper of an individual and a bit oblivious.

Kata Hiratasuka
(Trust/Alienation)
"You know Haruko, you really do need to go outside more often"
While Officially her Tutor, Kata behaves more as a father figure due to Haruko's parent's lack of involvement with their daughter these days.

Alfred J Caudwell
(Curiosity/Anxiety)
“For the sake of the new world, everything must be destroyed.”
She has seen this man before but can't remember where or why.

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 29, 2014

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?

Kenji "Rabbit's Foot" Oshino

"If you'd read the notes I gave you, we wouldn't be having this problem."

If they can use you, they won't hurt you. That philosophy got me out of more than a few tough spots as a kid, and got me friends in low places. When some of them got involved with organized crime, well, I followed.

I don't work for the mafia, though. I'm a teacher, I work for the government. I just do some consulting work for the mafia every now and then. Tactics, planning, negotiations, that sort of thing. Stuff the average Family meatheads can't manage. They need someone trustworthy, I need the extra cash. Win-win. Ideally I'd never even have to touch a gun, but the world's not that nice.

A few years ago, a deal turned bad and I got shot. Right in the heart. Wasn't fun, but it kicked off the Renegade in me and I got out alive. Took a few weeks to figure out just what the hell had happened to me, but it turns out there's very little you can't learn if you're dedicated and have superpowers. I've tried to stay out of the thick of things since then. Did I mention getting shot is no fun? No fun at all.

It's a delicate balancing act, being a criminal organizer slash teacher slash superpowered monster. But the mafia doesn't like quitters, and it's not like I can turn off the Renegade. I guess I could quit my day job, but that normalcy is probably the only thing keeping me sane. Sane-ish, anyway, as long as nothing happens to bring the house of cards that is my life crashing down.

quote:

Crossbreed
Syndromes: Solaris/Neumann

Work: Mafia
Cover: Science Teacher

Origin: Poor
Experience: Dangerous Work
Encounter: Admiration
Awakening: Death
Impulse: Fear

HP: 27
Base ER: 35%

Stats:
Body: 1
Sense: 2
Mind: 5
Social: 4

Skills:
<Ride: 4-wheels> 2
<Range>
<Procure>
<Negotiation> 2
<Info: Underworld>
<Info: Academics>
<Knowledge: Physics>
<RC> 2
<Will>

Move: 14M
Dash: 28M

Stocked Items (10 stock)
Savings Points: 0
Bolt Action Rifle (0 Acc, 8 power, 200M range)
With a Minor Action, this weapon’s attacks will receive a +5 Accuracy
bonus for that Main Process. This weapon cannot target characters that
are in the user’s Engagement.

Powers:
<<Warding>>
<<Resurrect>> 1/3
<<Concentrate: Solaris>> 2/3

<<Word of Fear>> 1/5
Negotiation, Single, Close, 2 Encroach, Major, Opposed
Perform a ranged attack. If the attack hits its target, the Target
moves [LV x 2] meters away from the Engagement. The Target may
Break Away at this time. The User decides where the Target will
Move.

<<Valkyrie's Guidance>> 2/3
RC, Single, Close, 2 Encroach, Major, Auto
The next Major Action the Target performs will receive a + (LV) dice
bonus. If the Major Action is an attack, the Target receives +5 Atk.
Power.

<<Life Shield>>
Negotiation, Self, Close, 3 Encroach, Reaction, Opposed
During a check that uses this Power, the User can perform a
Dodge.

<<Tactics>> 2/5
-, Area(Select), View, 6 Encroach, Setup, Auto
The Target’s Major Action this Round will receive a + (LV) dice bonus.
The User cannot be the target of this Power.

<<Soundless Voice>> (simple)
-, Single, View, -, Major, Auto
Communicate one’s will to a faraway person through the use
of hallucinogens. The User may hear the other person’s thoughts
if that person willingly opens his mind. If the GM feels it is necessary,
he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

<<Childhood Friend>> (simple)
-, Single, View, -, Major, Auto
Gain the Target’s trust through the use of hallucinogens. The
drugs will confuse the person’s cognition, making him believe
the User is a trustworthy friend. This Power can only affect
non-Overeds. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require
a <Negotiation> check for this Power.

<<Photographic Memory>> (simple)
-, Self, Close, -, Major, Auto
The user can memorize everything he has seen down to the
most miniscule of details. The user will even be able to recall
a random doodle that was in a book he just flipped through
several years ago. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require
a <Perception> check for this Power.

Loises

Adriano d'Alba (Friendship/Contempt)
"Ey, chief, I got a bit of a pinned-down-by-angry-yakuza situation goin' on. Think you could mosey on over to the docks and bail me out?"
I've known Adriano since we were both teenagers. He's a made man, and I think he's pretty high up in the local mafia branch. He's the guy who calls me when the mob needs my skills, and the guy I call when I feel like going out for a beer. It's kinda weird how he idolizes the Family, though. He even changed his name to sound Italian. And he just keeps getting into bigger and bigger messes trying to prove himself, trusting me to sort it all out after. That's what friends are for, I suppose. It does mean I can't tell him I'm an Overed. God knows what he'd have me doing then.

Class 3-B at Heijou High (Earnestness/Annoyance)
"C'mon, we don't need any homework this week, do we? Be cool. 3-C's homeroom teacher is cool, he never gives his class extra homework."
My charges these past few years. They are loud, mostly very stupid, and far too inquisitive when I have to cancel class due to some emergency from Adriano or urgent 'request' from Rafflesia. Still, I suppose that means they care about their education on some level. I'd better sort out next week's lesson plan soon...

Yuriko "Rafflesia" Himemiya (Admiration/Fear)
"Check your email. I need a second opinion on some stuff. Right now! Huh? Of course I know what time it is, what does that have to do with anything?"
This woman is the reason I don't go looking for intellectual equals anymore. Not that we're equal; no, she's far, far smarter than I am. When we met a couple of weeks ago, she had me completely figured out - being an Overed included - in less than twenty minutes. Particularly impressive since that meeting was on the goddamn Internet. Now she contacts me at ungodly hours to bounce ideas off me. At least she hasn't sent the rest of the UGN after me. Unless she told them and is now secretly my handler, or something. I'd rather not know. She's scary enough without having formal authority.

Auraboks fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 31, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
"So, what's next, boss?" Switchboard sat down with a thump on the desk, swinging her legs as she looked over her shoulder at Catalyst. The latter didn't bother looking up from her tablet.

"Japan."

"And why are we going to Japan?" Sofia tapped away, still not looking up. "The analysis of certain apparently unrelated trends in military procurement, public service outages and fashion indicate a significant probability of dramatically increased Overed and Renegade activity in the area. I have not yet determined all the details. I will have to gather more data on the ground. But it will be critical for us to be at the source in the coming days."

Iori rolled her eyes. Neumanns. "Fashion? Really? Since when do you care about fashion?"

"Trends in clothing styles have been shown to provide a leading indicator on gestalt anxieties and expectations within defined populations. I can forward you the relevant-" Iori tilted her head slightly, and her personal icon popped up on Sofia's screen, blowing a raspberry. Sofia frowned, and looked up. "That was uncalled for."

Iori shrugged, slightly embarassed by her action, but once Sofia got into lecture mode it could take days to get her out of it. "Sorry! But I'll take your word for it, boss. Anyways while we were talking I got us tickets for tomorrow morning. I backdated them, you have any idea how big a dent a flight from London to Tokyo is going to put in the account? Speaking of which, you still haven't picked up your package from Ireland. on't look at me like that, I'm looking at the tracking data right now."

"I have been busy. Besides, I already figured out what our friends sent two days ago." Ignoring Iori's dramatic look to the ceiling and small head shake, Sofia stood up and started putting things into a shoulder bag. "We should pack."

"Yeah, that'd be a good idea. After lunch! You skipped breakfast again - and don't tell me you were busy, I saw that Netflix connection."

"I happened to be watching a documentary that was relevant to the matter we were just discussing."

"Suuuuure you were."

Sofia put her hands on her hips. "I most certainly was, I - why am I justifying this? You just want to get a rise out of me." Iori stuck her tongue out, winking. "Hmph. In that case, we should review your performance on the last ex-" Suddenly Sofia stopped talking, then lunged across the desk. "Get down!" The two crashed to the floor just as bullets ripped through the window and put a neat pattern of holes in the wall behind them.

Switchboard shoved Catalyst back under the desk, rolling to her knees as the panels on her arm opened, the targeting array flipping out as the cannon cleared for action. "Dammit! They've blinded my webcams!"

Catalyst squinted at the bullet holes. "One shooter, on foot, suppressed SMG. 9mm. Fired from- behind the planter, 10 o'clock." Switchboard didn't hesitate, blasting away with her cannon. As she did, she checked with the CCTV camera on the shop down the street, and got confirmation. "Who the hell?"

"Local contractor. That business in Paris two weeks ago. The police will be here in 10 minutes 28 seconds."

"Well, just great!" Iori helped Sofia back to her feet. "Now we've got to bug out with the just the go bags and I'll have to re-book everything. Unless we've got time to shove some things in a suitcase...?" She looked over hopefully.

Sofia pursed her lips. "We can spare 137 seconds."

Sano "Switchboard" Iori

Main Theme
Combat/Hacking Theme

Statblock posted:

Personal Data
Name: Sano Iori
Codename: Switchboard
Work: Hacker
Cover: Mercenary Security Expert
Origin: Twin
Experience: Emotional Barriers
Encounter: Rival
Awakening: Self-Improvement [ER 14]

Impulse: Hunger [ER 14]

Stats and Skills (0 xp Stats, 16 xp Skills)
pre:
Stat		Body	Sense	Mind	Social
Alpha		0	3	1	0
Beta		1	2	1	0
Work		0	0	0	1
Paid		0	0	0	0
Total		2	5	2	1
Ranged 4
RC 3
Negotiation 1
Knowledge:Security 2
Procure 1
Info:Internet 2+1
Info:Underworld 1

Derived Stats
Max HP = Body*2 + Mind + 20 = 22
Initiative = Sense*2 + Mind = 12
Move = Init+5 = 17 meters
Dash = Move*2 = 34 meters
Base ER = 32%

Items/Stock Stock 4
Reinforced Clothing (Armor 1) [1]
(Momento, +1 bonus to <Will> check scores) [1]
Smartphone (jailbroken) [0]

Rumor-mongering Friend (+2 dice bonus for one Info:Rumor check) [1]
Hacker (+2 dice bonus for one Info:Web check) [1]

Powers (104 xp)

Common: Warding - 1

quote:

Max LV: 1 Timing: Auto
Skill: - DFCLTY: Auto
Target: Scene RNG: View
Encroach: o Restrict: -

Common: Resurrect - 1

quote:

Max LV: 3 Timing: Auto
Target: Self RNG: Close
Encroach: Refer Restrict: -
Heal personal injuries.
Declare when Incapacitated or when the Scene ends. Recover from Incapacitation with (LV)D HP. The User increases his Encroachment Rate equal to the amount of HP recovered. This Power cannot be used when the User's Encroachment Rate is 100% or higher. This Power can be used even when afflicted with the Bad Status Pressure.

Angel Halo: Concentrate - 3

quote:

Max LV: 3 Timing: Major
Skill: Syndrome DFCLTY: -
Target:- RNG:-
Encroach: 2 Restrict: -
The user exerts his ability concentrate.
Any check that uses this Power receives a - (LV) Critical Value bonus (min. 7). When acquiring this Power, the User must associate one of his Syndromes and record this Power in the following format: <Concentrate: Salamandra>. For other Syndromes, a character must acquire this Power again treat as a separate Power. In addition, this Power is treated as a Power of the selected Syndrome.

Angel Halo: Minuscule Dust - 2

quote:

Max LV: 5 Timing: Major
Skill: <Ranged> DFCLTY: Opposed
Target: - RNG: Weapon
Become capable of more precise aim by enhancing your perception.
Attacks that use this Power receive a + [LV X 2] Atk. Power bonus.

Black Dog: Hard Wired - 4

quote:

Max LV: 5 Timing: Constant
Encroach: - Restrict: -
This Power represents one's mechanized body.
Select (LV) number of Black Dog only Items from Pg 248 and Stock them. If the GM permits it, the User may switch Out Items during the Pre-Game. This Power cannot receive the Encroachment Rate level bonus. The character's Base Encroachment Rate increases by 4 when this Power is acquired.

Hard Wired posted:

Linear Cannon

quote:

Type: Ranged Skill: <Ranged>
Acc: -2 Atk. Power: 8
Guard: - RNG: 50M
Procure/Stock: -/-
Install an electromagnetic acceleration gun into the arm.
This Weapon can be equipped at anytime by using an Auto Action. When a character that is being attacked by this weapon Dodges, he receives -2 dice penalty.

Lock-on Sight x3

quote:

Type: Other Procure/Stock: -/-
A targeting device that's connected to one's visual system.
All <Ranged> check scores receive a +2 bonus. Multiples of this Item can be acquired and stacked for a larger modifier.

Black Dog: Third Watch - 1

quote:

Use of surveillance equipment to scout an area.
Declare when entering a Scene. The User will not enter the Scene but will instead watch the situation unfold through the use of surveillance equipment. The User will increase his Encroachment Rate as normal. GM may forbid the use of this Power, in which case the User does not increase his Encroachment Rate for an attempted use.

Angel Halo: Rabbit Ears - 1Simple

quote:

Max LV: 1 Timing: Major
Skill: : - DFCLTY: Auto
Heighten the directionality of one's hearing. The User will be able to hear whisper from faraway, even if he is in the middle of a crowded street. The User will also be able to distinguish between sounds, and can even hear a needle drop from ten kilometers away. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <Perception> check for this Power.

Angel Halo: Angel's Palette - 1Simple

quote:

Target: Refer RNG: Close
Encroach: 3 Restrict: -
Refract light to display any kind of projection onto the sky. By displaying several images in repetition, one can also present a video. The User may hide the fact that the viewers are seeing an illusion. Any characters that attempt to see past this illusion must perform an Opposed check, The character rolls <Perception> and this Power's User rolls <RC>.

Angel Halo: Angel's Mantle - 1Simple

quote:

Skill: - DFCLTY:Auto
Use light to project a different appearance over one's body. The User will gain the appearance of his choice. However, his voice will not change. If someone attempts to see past the disguise, that character and the User must perform a <Perception> Opposed check.

Angel Halo: Noon Star - 1Simple

quote:

Amplify eyesight to gain telescopic vision. This new vision will outdo the best of electric telescopes, allowing one to view the stars even during the middle of the day. Since light adjustment is automatically done when this Power is used, the User will not be blinded by the sun.

Black Dog: Tapping & On-Air - 1Simple

quote:

Skill:: - DFCLTY:Auto
Target: Refer RNG: View
Receive wireless transmissions or broadcast images and sounds. One can also receive and transmit information through wired systems by touching a cable. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

Black Dog: Short - 1Simple

quote:

Target: Refer RNG: View
Overload any electrically-powered machine to temporarily disable or outright destroy it. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

Black Dog: Security Cut - 1Simple

quote:

Target: Refer RNG: Close
Kill the security system of a building or release electronic locks. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

Black Dog: Radio Wave Jamming - 1Simple

quote:

Block all communications and radars in the area by disrupting radio waves. Cellphones, transceivers, wireless LANs, shortwave communications, and whole areas of a radar will be rendered useless. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

Black Dog: Electronics Master - 1Simple

quote:

Read and write any type of electronic storage medium, such as DVDs or hard drives, without the use of an electronic device. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

Black Dog: Human Power Plant - 1Simple

quote:

Target: Single RNG: Close
Operate one's electricity-producing cells at full capacity to power any machine that one is touching. Unplugged machines can be operated in this situation. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <RC> check for this Power.

Loises posted:

Loises
Sano "Eden" Hikaru (Sister)
Iori's older sister is a UGN Illegal, an Orcus/Solaris. Hikaru has always been the more confident and outgoing, putting Iori in her shadow until the latter joined the UGN. Iori never really minded - Hikaru was always kind to her. She's an up and coming idol, though she's careful about using her powers, relying mostly on her natural charisma. However, Hikaru has always been a bit mysterious, even to Iori, always keeping something back and being coy about what she does. Despite this Iori considers her a confidant. Still, she can't help but wish she had as much self-confidence and as easy a life as Hikaru.

Positive Emotion: Sincerity
Negative Emotion: Jealousy [Sub]

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova (Instructor)
Switchboard and Catalyst have worked together since they were both part of the UGN. Sano has a great deal of respect for her mentor's skills and judgement. She can't replicate her superior's abilities, but she has come to trust her own as being just as useful, and that she can apply the core principals she's been taught even if the specific actions differ. Despite the apparent mentor/student relationship, Sano sometimes finds herself worrying whether Catalyst is taking care of herself properly. Neumanns are utterly brilliant, but tend to forget about petty human concerns like eating. More importantly, Catalyst is inherently a risk taker, and while Switchboard believes they can overcome any obstacle, she also knows that her friend would sacrifice herself for the good of others. It's part of why Catalyst has her respect, but at the same time Iori intends to make sure Sofia doesn't forget that her loss would be a tragedy for her companions as well. She can get a bit exasperated with Sofia as her mentor has a tendency to see her as naive.

Positive Emotion: Respect
Negative Emotion: Anxiety [Sub]

Takemichi "Paint it Black" Kurosaki (Rival)

Sano encountered the Strangers Captain while acting as a security consultant in the wake of the Zurich mission. Initially she was interested in his experiences, since he had the same syndromes as she did, but before long she grew to detest him. She found his worldview and his methods utterly detestable - completely at odds with everything she'd been taught and come to believe. For his part, Takemichi saw her as hopelessly naive and soft. The two had a very dramatic falling out before the operation was over. Sano has a strong desire to demonstrate that she is just as capable as Takemichi, without resorting to base cruelty.

Positive Emotion: Fellowship [Sub]
Negative Emotion: Loathing

Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova

Main Theme
Combat Theme

Statblock posted:

Personal Data
Name: Sofia Liu-Vostrokova
Codename: Catalyst
Work: Ex-UGN Branch Chief C
Cover: Mercenary Commander
Origin: Powerful Bloodline
Experience: Major Victory
Encounter: Family
Awakening: Self-Improvement (ER 14)
I was set a challenge by my mentor, a life or death decision meant to teach me that not every scenario is winnable. He was correct, based on my capabilities beforehand. But I refuse to be defeated. I exceeded my own limits, because that was what it took to win.

Impulse: Battle Lust (ER 16)
I am never more alive than when I stand on the precipice of death. The sweetest victories are those won against the worst odds, with everything at risk. I enjoy being at my best. I am my best when things are at their worst.

Initial Allegiance: Independent

Stats and Skills (20 xp Stats, 0 xp Skills)
pre:
Alpha		0	0	3	1
Beta		0	0	3	1
Work		0	0	1	0
Paid		1	1	0	0
Total		1	1	7	2
RC 1
Will 2
Knowledge:Tactics 2
Procure 1
Info:UGN 1

Derived Stats
Max HP = Body*2 + Mind + 20 = 29
Initiative = Sense*2 + Mind = 10
Move = Init+5 = 15 meters
Dash = Move*2 = 30 meters
Base ER = 30%

Items/Stock Stock 6
Smartphone (the latest model) [0]
Mercenary Uniform [0]
Formal Wear [0]

Connection
Researcher (+2 dice bonus for one <Info:Academic> Check.) [1]
Informant (+2 dice bonus for one <Info:Underworld> Check.) [1]
Mercenary (+2 dice bonus for one <Info:Military> Check.) [1]
Mass Media (+2 dice bonus for one <Info;Media> Check.) [1]
Corporate Executive ( +2 dice bonus for one <Info:Business> Check.) [1]
Official's Favor ( +3 dice bonus for one <Info> Check of the user's choice. Use only once per Scenario.) [1]

Powers (100 xp)

Common: Warding - 1

quote:

Encroach: o Restrict: -

Common: Resurrect - 1

quote:

Encroach: Refer Restrict: -
Heal personal injuries.
Declare when Incapacitated or when the Scene ends. Recover from Incapacitation with (LV)D HP. The User increases his Encroachment Rate equal to the amount of HP recovered. This Power cannot be used when the User's Encroachment Rate is 100% or higher. This Power can be used even when afflicted with the Bad Status Pressure.

Neumann: Concentrate - 2

quote:

Skill: Syndrome DFCLTY: -
Target:- RNG:-
The user exerts his ability concentrate.
Any check that uses this Power receives a - (LV) Critical Value bonus (min. 7). When acquiring this Power, the User must associate one of his Syndromes and record this Power in the following format: <Concentrate: Salamandra>. For other Syndromes, a character must acquire this Power again treat as a separate Power. In addition, this Power is treated as a Power of the selected Syndrome.

quote:

Target: Self RNG:Close
Encroach: 6 Restrict: Trait Lois
Boost the effect of Powers.
Declare right before using a Power. That Power receives a +2 level bonus. The Max Lvl. May be exceeded. Note that number of uses will not increase. If multiple Powers are being used, select only one Power to apply this effect. This Power may be used (LV) times per Scenario.

Neumann: Inspiration - 1

quote:

The user uses intuition to figure out a solution without going through the process to reach it. This is the proverbial flash of genius.
The GM can be directly questioned about certain mysteries that exist within the Scenario. The GM may refuse to answer. If the GM refuses, the number of uses do not deplete. This Power can be used (LV) times per Scenario. This Power cannot be combined with other Powers.

Neumann: Walking Encyclopedia - 2

quote:

Skill: <Will> DFCLTY: -
This Power represents one's vast knowledge and the ability to masterfully apply that information in investigations.
This Power may be used in place of all <Info:> Skills when performing Investigation checks.The Investigation check will receive a +(LV) dice bonus.

Neumann: Advice - 4

quote:

Skill: <Negotiation> DFCLTV: Auto
Target: Single RNG: View
Encroach: 4 Restrict: -
Give goon' advice to help make the target's actions more effective.
The Target's next Major Action check receives a -1 Critical Value bonus (mm. 6) and a +(LV) dice bonus.

Neumann: Undefeated Genius - 2

quote:

Max LV: 5 Timing: Setup
Target: Scene(Select) RNG: View
Encroach: 6 Restrict: Pure
This Power represents one's status as an undefeated commander.
For the duration of the Round, all attacks that the Target(s) performs receive a +[LV X 4] Atk. Power bonus. This Power cannot target the user and can only be used once per Scene.

Neumann: Code Deciphering - 1Simple

quote:

Skill:: - DFCLTV: Auto
This Power represents the user's superb linguistic sense and his ability to decipher any code or unknown language. Any hidden code and information will not escape the user. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <Info:_> check of the proper type for this Power.

Neumann: Photographic Memory - 1Simple

quote:

The user can memorize everything he has seen down to the most minuscule of details. The user will even be able to recall a random doodle that was in a book he just flipped through several years ago. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <Perception> check for this Power.

Neumann: Profiling - 1Simple

quote:

Skill:: - DFCLTY: Auto
Examine an object or commodity and gain normally looked over information, which can then be used to figure out a target's personality. Just like Sherlock Holmes, the user can use minor information to derive the truth. If the GM feels it is necessary, he may require a <Knowledge:_> check of the proper type for this Power.

Loises posted:

Loises
Akhilleus Brusilov (Personal Tutor)
Akhilleus Brusilov was Sofia's personal tutor and guardian from a young age. This was not due to any distance between and her parents - rather, her parents recognized that their daughter possessed talents they themselves did not how to hone. They could provide love and support, and they had the power to find someone who could teach her. And thus entered Brusilov. He demanded the best from his student, and challenged her at every turn, but he was no martinet. He was more a favorite uncle. When he decided his student had reached her full potential, he set one more test before her, and then disappeared. Now, she wonders what he really was to her...

Positive Emotion: Respect [Sub]
Negative Emotion: Suspicion

Sano "Switchboard" Iori (Newbie)
A former UGN Child who was Sofia's assistant and trainee, Sofia sees Sano Iori as a sheltered, good-natured, and slightly clumsy girl. She has a sunny-disposition, and poor luck. She is also quite a bit more clever than might be expected from her demeanor. Sofia considers her a friend and capable assistant - a sort of Sherlock and Watson arrangement. Sofia dotes on her junior, thought not excessively to her own mind. Others may have a different view on the matter.

Positive Emotion: Protection
Negative Emotion: Favoritism [Sub]

T-Lois

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 19, 2014

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Josephine "Steel Nerves" Wainwright

Josephine was actually excited when her father had to relocate to Kariya. It was a new city, it was full of new people doing new things to stick her nose in, she spoke enough of the language to get by, there was no reason to think she wouldn't have the time of her life there. Yeah, things were looking up for her.

Then the accident happened. There was a head-on collision, Josephine got stuck between them, there was nothing she could have done. That wasn't very comforting when she was laying in a hospital bed waiting for all the king's horses and all the king's men to finish putting her back together again, though. Especially not when they lose half the pieces. There's nothing they could have done, either. There just wasn't enough left to save. But she was alive and her father was still pouring money on them to make her whole again, and that was good enough.

Of course, good enough wasn't good enough for Josephine. She wanted to walk. She wanted to hold things. She wanted to see something besides the same hospital room and the same square of Kariya skyline day in day out. She wanted to do something besides be fitted for prostheses that won't work right and lay in bed.

The Renegade gave her what she wanted, and she was happy.

Oh, there's more to it than that. There's nerves that begun interlacing with wires. There's prosthetic limbs doing things that they were never designed to do. There's the UGN agent that visited the next day to make her an offer she couldn't refuse. But none of that matters, because she's out of the hospital and she's going to school and she's living an almost normal life again and that's all that matters.

quote:

Name: Josephine Wainwright
Code Name: Steel Nerves
Syndromes: Black Dog/Exile]
Work: Detective
Cover: High School Student
Base Encroachment Rate: 34
pre:
Stats:
Body		5
Sense 		4
Mind 		1
Social 		2

Skills:
Ride: Two-Wheel 2
Range           1
Perception      2
Procure         1
Info:Underworld 1
Melee           2
Dodge           2
Life History
Origin: Investor
Event: Life and Death
Encounter: Self - Ayame Shikishima
Awakening: Yearning
Impulse: Delusions

HP: 31/31
Move: 14
Dash: 28
Stock: 6
Savings: 4

Powers
Warding
Details: Knock out all normal people in area.

Resurrect
Restrict: <100%
Encroach: Equal to HP recovered
Details: Declare when Incapacitated or Scene ends. Recover (LV)D HP, even if suffering Pressure Status.

Concentrate(Exile) 2
LV: 3/3
Details: Any check that uses this power takes a -3 critical value bonus (min. 7).

Cyborg Arm
LV: 1/10
Encroach: +3 to Base Encroach
Details: Modify the user's Fists to the following: Skill: Melee, Acc: 0, Attack Power: +4, Guard: 5, Range: Close.

Unyielding Flock
Details: Declare right before a damage roll. Perform a Cover. This Cover does not make you enter the post-action state and can be done in the post-action state. May only be used once per Main Process.

Nail Sword
LV: 2/5
Skill: Melee
DIFF: Opposed
Range: Weapon
Details: Melee attacks that use this power receive a +4 Attack Power bonus. Dodge checks against this attack take a -1 dice penalty.

Magnetic Barrier
Details: Declare when Guarding. Gain a +1d bonus to Guard for the duration of the Guard.

Multi-Tool Fingers (Simple)
Details: Morph your fingers into any kind of tool, including master keys. No matter the task, you can accomplish it with craftsman-level success. May require a Knowledge: Mechanical Engineering check.

Tapping & On-Air (Simple)
Target: See Details
Details: Receive wireless transmissions or broadcast images and sounds. One can also receive and transmit information through wired systems by touching a cable. May require a RC check.

Security Cut (Simple)
Target: See Details
Details: Kill security system of a building or open electronic locks. May require a RC check.

Weapons
Fists: See Cyborg Arm

Armor
Reinforced Clothing (Armor 1, Stock 1)

Connections
Corporate Executive (+2 dice to one Info(Business) check, Stock 1)

Other
Cellphone (Mostly a cover for doing Black Dog stuff, Stock 0)

Alexander Wainwright
Trust/Loathing
"Dad, can I go-"
"No."
"But you didn't even hear what it was!"
"I don't care. It's after dark, you're not leaving the house. That is final."

"Alexander Wainwright. Executive Treasurer of the Kamishiro Group. Makes more money in a week than most people do in a decade. He's also my father. I know he just wants to keep me safe, and I know he's probably the only person in this city that honestly wants what's best for me. He's just so protective of me that I want to scream. He's read Doctor Takahashi's reports. He knows what I am capable of. Why can't he just let me take care of myself for once?

Dr Sho Takahashi
Respect/Suspicion
"Ah, Ms Wainwright. Good of you to finally show. Just take a seat and we can get this checkup started."
"Mmhmm."
"Oh don't look so surly. If you don't want to walk up here every week you shouldn't have left the hospital."
"Just get this over with."

"Dr Takahashi is one of the world's top surgeons when it comes to prosthetic limbs. He's also one of the most expensive, but that didn't matter to Dad after the accident. He was there when I woke up after the crash. He was there when his first try at my legs sputtered and died under me. He was there when the Renegade took hold. But he wasn't there when that UGN agent walked through the door and told me what I had to do. Almost like he knew when he'd show up.

Not that I'm saying that he's a lying son of a bitch that sold me out to a secret government organization while smiling to my face. That'd just be rude."

Ayame "Artemis" Shikishima
Fellowship/Inferiority
"Hey Josie. Hear anything interesting lately?"
"Not really. Police scanners are pretty quiet these days. How about you?"
"Well, one of the guys in B5 lost a cat. That's something, right?"
"Being a detective sucks when no one gives you work."

"Me and Ayame are partners. No, not like that. Like detectives. I met her when I first started going back to school. We both realized something was weird about each other, we started talking, and long story short we're both Overeds, both of us are new to this, we're both Illegals, and we both want to help people more than we already are. So now we're keeping an eye out for mysteries around campus together, seeing if there's anything we can help people with, stuff like that. Once we do find a mystery, well, she's got the brains, I got the brawn, we should be able to handle anything."

(Things Ayame has over Josephine besides brains: Popularity. Looks. Ability to notice things. A renegade strain that isn't nauseating to see work. A renegade strain that woke up because she was threatened and not because she was stir-crazy. Limbs.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 3, 2014

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
WIP

Charles "Myconoid" Richards

In the suburbs of Kariya, there is an abandoned building. It was damaged heavily during an earthquake, and financial considerations made its repair delayed. Eventually, the structure fell to rot, the support beams decaying and blossoming into fungal blooms. That fungus spread throughout the structure, consuming every last bit of it, filling the air with toxic spores. And so that building sat, until one day, a battle was fought before it. The details are not remembered, and all that was left behind as trace were a few splatters of blood.

The fungus consumed the blood, and awoke.

Height: 5'6"
Weight: 156lbs
Work: RB-B
Cover: Building Inspector

Syndromes: Balor/Orcus

Stats:
Body 3
Sense: 3
Mind: 5

Skills:
Melee: 1
Dodge: 1
Ranged: 1
Perception: 2
RC: 3
Info: UGN 1

Life History
Origin: Sudden Awakening
Experience: Research Institution
Encounter: Endearment
Awakening: Birth
Impulse: Release
Base Encroachment: 40

Max HP: 31
Initiative: 11
Move: 16
Dash: 32
Stock: 2

Powers
Concentrate (Balor)
Warding
Resurrection
Humanity's Neighbor
Origin: Colony
Black Hammer
Dark Matter
Jamming
Caged Area
Cat's Path
Invisible Domain
Tyrant's Throne

Loises
Friend- Friendship/Reservation
Researcher- Respect/Threat
Protected- Love/Alienation

Meinberg fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 29, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
It's time I got 'round to this. Everybody, meet the Branch Chief!

---

Branch Chief's Diary posted:

I have had an impeccable career. Born into the UGN, aware of and empowered by the Renegade since birth and driven to excel, it came as little surprise that I rose up the ranks as quickly as I did. From field agent, to senior agent, to unit commander, and now Branch Chief. It is a great honor for someone so young to be thrust into such a high position.

It is a disgusting mockery, a reward for my failure.

I did not ask for this promotion. After the disaster that was the Zurich Incident, I was prepared to stand trial and accept my punishment. The threat had been neutralized, but we had lost agents and the memory wipes that followed the rise of a powerful Gjaum in the center of a major city were numerous and extensive. I would have been so lucky. Instead, the leaders of the UGN saw fit to inflict a more ironic fate on me. Kicked upstairs, my valuable time is now limited, as a thousand petty affairs vye for my attention, interrupting vital research. I would throw it all to the wind and devote myself fully to my work, but the backlash upon my family would be severe, and I shall not bring more suffering upon them, not after my poor decisions cost us my brother. I shall not see any further harm fall upon Mother and Father, so long as there remains one breath in my body. I will continue to set a new standard for excellence, and soon...soon, I will find the missing ingredient to a Gjaum's cure. Wait for me, George. I will not fail you.

My name is Ra'id Belcry. I am the smartest man alive.

Ra'id Belcry, "Ex Machina"

quote:

Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 136 lb
Work: UGN Branch Chief C
Cover: Branch Chief

Syndromes: Bram Stoker/Neumann

Stats
Body: 1 | Sense: 1 | Mind: 10 | Social: 1

Skills
Renegade Control: 4
Knowledge (Renegade): 4
Info (UGN): 3

Life History
Awakening: Birth (ER: 17)
Impulse: Delusions (ER: 14)
Origin: Stable Family (Lois: Felicia Belcry, Mother, Conscious: Love, Subconscious: Annoyance)
Experience: Major Mistake (Lois: George Belcry, Brother, Conscious: Shame, Subconscious: Affinity)
Encounter: Admiration (Lois: Yurika "Rafflesia" Himemiya, Conscious: Aspiration, Unconscious: Anger)

Powers
Corrosive Red 3
Red Servant 1
Advice 1
Concentrate (Bram Stoker) 3
Warding 1
Resurrect 1
Doctor Dolittle
Profiling
Metabolism Control

Build Method: Full Scratch

Expenditures:
Stats: 40 XP (+1 Body, +3 Mind)
Powers: 80 (+25 Corrosive Red, +15 Red Servant, +15 Advice, +25 Concentrate)
Skills: 10 XP (+6 RC, +2 Know: Renegade, +2 Info: UGN)

Lois Writeups

Felicia Belcry

quote:

*RING, RING*
"Belcry speaking."
"Ra'id? Is that you?"
"Mother? To what do I owe the pleasure of this call?"
"Just calling to see how you're doing, poppet. You moved to City N today, didn't you?"
"Technically last night, but yes. The journey was far less hectic than I was expecting."
"How did the staff greet you? I bet they were curious about what their new chief was like."
"...Mother."
"Don't take that tone with me, sweety. Disapproval doesn't suit you."
"You know what my impressions on my new home are already. My first report has already been filed. So what is the actual reason behind this call?"
"I'm not Dr. Belcry to you, Ra'id. You shouldn't treat me like that. I'm your mother, and the way you've been acting since that mission worries me. I bet you're still not sleeping well-"
"Two hours a day is plenty for a Neumann, thank you-"
"-And I know you're still kicking yourself for what happened. You shouldn't. You can't control everything, Riddy. Everybody makes mistakes."
"Nonsense. We lost him because of my decisions. If I had not made those mistakes, George would still be with us. You should not be so supportive of a son who failed his brother like this."
"Ra'id..."
"Perhaps I cannot control everything, but I can still try. And I will do better than that next time."
"Not on two hours' sleep, you won't. Get a full night's rest, Riddy. For your mother's peace of mind, hmm? It won't kill you to treat yourself like you're human for a little while, dear."
"I will keep that in mind. Good night, Mother."
*CLICK*

Though an UGN Child through and through, Ra’id has an advantage most of his peers never got to experience: A loving and supporting family. A natural born Overed, his parents were involved with the UGN even before his birth, and welcomed their uniquely gifted child joyfully, standing by him even as accusations flew about his strangeness thanks to his bizarre eyes and skin color.

Felicia Belcry is Ra’id’s mother, of British descent. A woman of imperturbable good cheer, she is a rock of happiness and positive emotions, and someone everybody naturally turns to in times of trouble. She is very open in expressing her emotions and likes to pamper her son even in public, something the extremely serious Ra’id finds rather annoying, particularly due to the accusations of nepotism that her attitude has given rise to, as she is one of the UGN’s more highly ranked officers and is believed to have interceded in her son’s favor after the Zurich Incident.

George "Hellhound" Waggner

quote:

"UGN Agents, this is Unit Chief Ex Machina. Give me a situation report."
"No problems with the 'manifestation' so far... Boring as hell, though. Not really my kind of plan."
"That is exactly what we are hoping for, Hellhound. Boring work is safe work. Let us hope it remains boring."
"Sorry, wasn't paying attention to the big words, egghead. Anything new we gotta worry about yet?"
"Possibly, Hellhound. If what my cameras are showing me is to be believed, then Pandora may have brought in accomplices. Has carnage erupted just outside the bank and inside it, or can the situation still be salvaged without any loss of human life?"
"The hell!? A few ATMs go crazy and you're gonna...dammit. Ra'id! We've got a crapload of Gjaum running around her with civvies! If Pandora's making her move it's right now! You got any way to back us up!?"
"That much is evident, Hellhound, if my security network is not deceiving me. I see that Catalyst and one unknown third party are taking care of these creatures with ease, but if you judge the situation to be so dire, I will divert what forces we can spare to your location. Ex Machina out."

Ra'id's adopted brother, and one of the few people he genuinely trusted. Once a reckless but kind UGN Agent, George became a Gjaum during the Zurich Incident, requiring heavy fire to force him to retreat. His current status is still unknown, but Ra'id' has not yet given up hopes of curing him.

Yurika "Rafflesia" Himemiya

quote:

"Stop. Who goes there?"
"I could ask you the same, you know. Didn't you know this is a restricted area?"
"An area I have free access to, as city chief. Rafflesia, I take? It is almost morning. The hour is too late to still be conducting research."
"Ah, so you're Belcry. I was always curious about you. Neumanns don't exhibit modifications, as a rule. If you have some time later, perhaps we could run a few tests...?"
"As long as you do not stare at me so intently. Now, your reasons for researching at this hour?"
"It's never too late when you can learn something new. I've been studying a sample we received a week ago. This new syndrome...it's fascinating. It manipulates the Renegade at a higher level!"
"Elaborate. That is a strange thing to say all of a sudden."
"As far as anybody knows there are twelve syndromes. Angel Halo, Balor, Black Dog, Bram Stoker, Chimera, Exile..."
"...Hanuman, Morpheus, Neumann, Orcus, Salamandra, Solaris. Of course."
"But recently, one of our field groups uncovered the existence of a thirteenth syndrome. And its powers are immense."
"Ouroboros? I thought it was a legend."
"Nothing says a legend can't be real in this world we live in."
"Hm. Of course. And what are the limits of this new breed?"
"That's what I was about to put to the test before I was so rudely interrupted. You've got no sense of timing, do you?"
"...Perhaps not. Or perhaps, it is simply stranger than most. Would you mind if I observed your experiments?"
"Only if you'll be my subject for those tests later. I'm so curious about the origins of your mutation."
"It is a deal, then. Let us get started."

A researcher that belongs to "R-Lab", the UGN's Renegade research division. Despite coming from a wealthy family, Yurika is an eccentric person that almost literally loves Renegade-related research. When dealing with rare symptoms, her cheeks blush, her eyes get glossy, and will skip sleep. In the past, Yurika has also used her knowledge of the UGN's political structure to get her research a higher priority.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 1, 2014

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010
WIP?

Akina "Seven Stars" Nanahoshi

Theme

I killed my family.

Yes, it was just after a Gjaum killed me and the Renagade just went completely berserk... but still. Never really told Uncle about it, and even if I did, he'd probably end up feeling even more guilty for allowing "little Aki" to do that. Project Pleiades was something he had approved, after all, and he invited them to keep one of their little kids from having to spend the rest of her life in a medical facility.

That worked! Just the rest of that, um, kinda didn't work out so well.

Turns out some of the researchers had some assistance from some non-UGN people and... ended either letting a Gjaum in or one of the other kids went Gjaum. Something happened, at any rate and someone Warded, which knocked my family out, not before they saw me get thrown across the room by a Gjaum though. You black out for a second and when you wake up and have the torn apart bodies of you family and a weird insect thing in front of you, you think that did it at first and manage to tear it apart with gravity. Didn't take long for me to realize it was one of my Evil Eyes that probably did that though. Not the Gjaum. That... it was just a mess. Finally getting it all down kinda feels like lifting it off of my chest though. Only really have that moment of clarity to remember. Rest of it was just. Trying to forget. Don't know if I want to remember anything more. Maybe? Could talk to a... Solaris I think? When I'm not so busy. The school festival is coming up isn't it? Oh, and there's that sale, eggs should be cheap. Might be able to pick up some beef!

After that mess, the first few years were just a blur of memories, and I guess I was pretty out of it for a while. But Uncle somehow managed to be there for me and manage the huge screwup he had on his hands at the same time. Looking at me now you'd never guess that, huh? I mean sure, the students seem to treat me more like a friend than an adult, but they listen to me. Sometimes!

I may only be a couple years older than them but geez, sometimes they end up treating me like I'm their junior for some reason. I might've ended up not really graduating from a normal high school at the normal age but still! I am clearly their senior by at least a few years, right? And that Tsukihara, she seems to think I know something for some reason. I did save her life, but that was a while back, and I'm sure she had her memories fixed. Does she still remember me somehow?

Anyways, it was really thanks to the UGN that I got here. Even if the project that I was in was jointly done by them and Kamishiro Group, I... don't think it was worth it but, I, -it's just that I feel like I could at least do something to help. And it was... lonely, I guess.

Haha, well, that was a bit heavy, let's just delete all that from my notes. Oh, right, need to make sure to get a new order in for infirmary supplies, this text'll work fine for now. Let's see, was it antiseptic-

quote:

Stats and Skills (30 xp Stats, 10 xp Skills)
pre:
Balor		1	1	4	2
Work		0	0	1	0
Paid		2	0	1	0
Total		3	1	6	2
Will 1
RC 4
Know: Medicine 4
Procure 1
Info: UGN 3

Derived Stats
Max HP = Body*2 + Mind + 20 = 32
Initiative = Sense*2 + Mind = 8
Move = Init+5 = 13 meters
Dash = Move*2 = 26 meters
Base ER = 34%

Items/Stock Stock 6

Smartphone [0]

Powers (90 xp)
Warding - 1
Resurrect - 1
Concentrate: Balor - 2
Black Hammer - 1
Reaper's Eyes - 3
Tyrant's Arm - 1
Black Hole Gate - 2
The Emperor's Time - 1
Time Sorcerer - 1
Deflection Sensory - 1

Personal Data
Name: Akina Nanahoshi
Codename: Seven Stars
Work: UGN Agent C
Cover: School Nurse
Origin: Foster Parent
Experience: Support T-Lois: "Full-Blooded - Reaper's Eyes"
Encounter: Endearment
Awakening: Death (ER 18)
Impulse: Self-Destructive (ER 16)

Loises

Toshifumi Kawatatsu
(Respect/Remorse)

quote:

"Are you sure you need nothing Akina? Today is the anniversary of that day, and there is still much I owe-"
"P-please raise your head Uncle, it's okay. I barely remember them! It's fine!"
"That just makes my sin even greater! Ah, if you wish, I know a good man I could intr-"
"Wha- No, no, no. Just your thoughts are more than enough for me. I'm not that poor little girl now, I'm okay."
"Still... ah, fine. So, how have you settled in at that job of yours? I do hope you aren't falling for any of the teachers there, I hear some of them have some rather questionable connections."
"Jeez! Uncle! Don't do background checks into my coworkers! I'm sure my connections and past are even shadier than theirs! It's fine!"

One of the board members of the Kamishiro Group, Toshifumi Kawatatsu was the man who put the stamp on the Pleiades Project, and was the one who introduced his sister and her partner to the project. He simply wanted to help his sickly young niece, but ended up losing a good chunk of his family. The man still feels rather guilty for consigning the researchers and the subjects to that, and with Akina the only surviving person, he became very much like a doting grandparent. Though he always attempts to deflect blame from her, the advanced aging he shows is quite likely her fault after he consistently attempted to try and help the now orphaned girl deal with her newfound, uncontrolled powers. Akina was practically raised by the man, but she still feels rather sad when he attempts to make "amends" for what he views as a mistake he tries to shoulder entirely by himself.

Asaka Tsukihara
(Protection/Alienation)

quote:

"...Are you hiding something from me?"
"H-huh? Where'd that come from Tsukihara?"
"Your absences from the infirmary happen to match up rather conspicuously with some data I've acquired."
"Well, um, there's some things I've been worried about, and I've been trying to figure some stuff out- wait, don't go poking into this stuff! It could be dangerous, and I am clearly the adult here, so I'll definitely take care of whatever this is! Yeah!"
"Hm, you actually sounded almost like a proper adult there for a moment."
"Thanks! -no, wait, are you making fun of me?! Hey!"

Akina was one of the agents involved in the incident Asaka Tsukihara was involved in when they were younger. Though still in school at that point, and still working in a support staff position, she was the one who called in the incident in the first place. She had almost resolved it, but was still green compared to an actual agent and ended up protecting a younger Asaka while attempting escape.

When she arrived at her new cover job as a newly minted agent Akina was rather surprised to see that little girl was now a high school student, and asking some worrisome questions as well. She was also rather surprised, and alarmed, to see the charm on Asaka's cellphone was the same one Akina had given her all those years ago. She had entirely forgotten about giving that to a young crying child until now. They often chat, as for some reason, the girl zeroed in on the new school nurse, after discovering they both had a similarly designed charm. Akina has managed to bluff her way through most of their conversations but can't actually bring herself to stop letting down her guard on occasion. The girl reminds her rather uncomfortably of how she could have lived her life if nothing had ever happened to her family, which is rather disconcerting for her.

Zandracon fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 1, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

You want DX NPC portraits?

Have DX NPC portraits.

Don't say I never did anything for you.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Dragomir "Dracul" Vladimirescu

The Vladimirescus were a proud line, holding a County in Transylvania due to their connection to the Romanian throne. But Dragomir had never been one for statesmanship and show - he was a delinquent, through and through, running with rough crowds and committing more crimes as a child than most hardened felons had in their careers.

Eventually, Dragomir came to run his own gang - the Syndicate of the Dragon, he called them, and they constricted on Transylvania, and lands beyond, with an iron grip. But not all was destined to be the gang warfare equivalent of sunshine and roses.

One night, in the club that Dragomir personally owned, a blood-crazed madman drove in, firing a bizarre pistol whose blood-soaked bullets curved and found targets no matter where they hid. He wore the insignia of a rival gang, the Black Blood, and bellowed taunts at Dragomir and his friends as he slaughtered everyone in the club mercilessly.

He captured Dragomir and his second-in-command, childhood friend Constantin Negrescu, and proceeded to torture Constantin, eventually shooting him in the spine and leaving him to bleed out on the floor of the club. The spilled blood, from both the wounded madman and from all of Dragomir's gang, awakened something in him. He rose up from the floor of the club, broke his hastily-made bonds, and brutalized the madman, seizing the pistol and killing him with it.

Dragomir continued to lead the Syndicate, but his heart was no longer in it - he wanted to do something more with his life, to protect the world and its people from the depredations of madmen like the one who'd given him this power. He handed off leadership of the gang to his closest friend Constantin, and left on his own to pursue a better world, occasionally returning to see old faces and do favors for his friends.

The majority of his daylight hours, now, are taken up by government paperwork and policies, as he learns to be a statesman like his father. It turns out, though, that running a county and running a gang are not so different. A lot of extortion, a lot of dirty deals, and sometimes it doesn't hurt to step into someone's back office and break their kneecaps.

But Dracul still fights for a better tomorrow - one free of superpowered madmen. And now, he's in Kariya, doing a favor for Constantin and a favor for the gang, in addition to having been called out as an ambassador of Romania's royal family for a purpose that is yet unknown.

pre:
Dragomir "Dracul" Vladimirescu

Birth: Noble Family

Experience: Criminal - Underground Legend

Loises: T-Lois: Secret Weapon (Fallen Pistol)
Witness To The Legend (Respect/Pity)

Encounter: Murderous Intent - Soichi Iba 
(Earnestness/Contempt)

Awakening: Sacrifice

Impulse: Bloodsucking

Purebreed: Bram Stoker

Stats:
5 Body
4 Sense
2 Mind
1 Social

Work: Yakuza 
Cover: Politician

HP: 32
Initiative: 10

Powers:
Warding
Resurrect
Concentrate (Bram Stoker) II
Life Representative
Blood Reading
Fragrant Fresh Blood
Crimson Armor
Scarlet King II
Corrosive Red II
Bloody Banquet

SKILLS:
Melee 1
Ride: Two-Wheeled 1
Ride: Four-Wheeled 1
Will 1
Procure 1
RC 2
Info: Underworld 1
Ranged 2
Perception 1

STOCK: 4 POINTS
ITEMS: Fallen Pistol (Secret Weapon)
Casual Wear
Accessory (Sunglasses)
Cellphone
Memento (1 pt) (+1 Will)
Rumor-Mongering Friend (1 pt) (Info: Rumor)
UGN Leadership (1pt) (Info: UGN)
Informant (1pt) (Info: Underworld)
Loises:

T-Lois: The Blood-Stained Five-seveN, The Fallen Pistol
"So. You come into my club. You give me this gun. You give me this...power. Well, I should rephrase that. You give me this power, then I take this gun when I beat the poo poo out of you. Ordinarily, I would call you friend. You bring me many gifts - better than any protection money. But we have...a problem. You shoot my friends. You tie me up. You torture my brother, you shoot him in the spine with this very gun. I thank you for these gifts, friend. But now...now, you and your friends are going to die."

Constantin Negrescu, Witness to the Legend (Respect/Pity)

"Bossman! How goes the world-saving, brother?"
"It tires me as ever, Constantin. How is the party life of the leader treating you?"
"Amazing! You wouldn't believe the things this Moldovan dancer did with me in this chair -"
"Stop there, brother," he laughs. "You know I hate the details."
"Always the serious one. One day, we'll get you to lighten up and enjoy the night."
"Maybe another time, Constantin. There's work that must be done. But for tonight, the streets are quiet. I can enjoy some good gin, I think."
"A vampire that drinks gin! You're a loving weird one, Drago."
"Don't I know it."

"You want to know about the Bossman. Yeah, I'm friends with Dracul. There's a reason no one's tried to kill me and usurp my position - they know he'll come back and drain their blood like so much wine, as the legends have it. Sure, I lead the Syndicate now. But Bossman was the real power - he founded us. Made us who we are. There's a reason we're powerful, that we make the Russians and the Chechens look like children squabbling over a toy. And that reason is Dracul - he ran us with an iron fist, stomped out the competition without a care. Arms deals, extortion, assassination, we did it all. But you could tell - the night he stopped being Dragomir and started being Dracul, the night I got put in this god-damned chair, his heart wasn't in it. I talked to him - he said he was tired of it. Tired of being the monster in the night. That made me laugh - my brother becomes a loving VAMPIRE, and he doesn't want to be the monster in the night? But I guess I can understand - some of the things he did after he became Dracul were...terrifying. Made me wonder if I still knew who he was, deep down. But he's still there. A gang boss with a heart of gold - tch! More power too him - I know I'm in too fuckin' deep to get out. He's trying to go legit - guy knows that he'll have the position of royalty when his father passes away. Wants to make the world a better place, and now he's doing it both with government paperwork and as Dracul in the night. I haven't heard from him in a while, but I know he's doing me a favor. My sister went to Kariya, got married to a businessman there. He's going to make sure she's okay, I heard there's some stuff about to go down there that good people don't want to be part of. And who better to protect a good woman like my sister than a good man like Dracul? And if he can broker a deal with her husband for some of those electronic gadgets he's developing, we can expand our hacking and credit card rings too. And I know he'll appreciate that."

Murderous Intent - Soichi "Predator" Iba (Earnestness/Contempt)

"You call yourself a predator? Let us see what becomes of you when you are hunted by Dracul, monster."

Dracul holds nothing but contempt for the Predator. Iba's mass-murdering sprees sicken him, senseless violence perpetuated for nothing but a whim. Dracul pushes himself harder and harder, forcing himself to master the powers granted to him by the Renegade in order to hopefully one day bring the monster down, for the good of the world.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Ok just so people are aware, I'll be making picks for this game in 36 hours. Which, for me, is 10AM EST on Monday.

To people who really want to get in, I strongly encourage getting on IRC and joining #persona on synirc. It will vastly increase your chances of getting in.

:siren: If you're new to IRC channels follow THIS LINK. Type in your username as your Nick, and click go! :siren:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
"Let me summarize." The ensuing awkward silence would have been enough to crush any lesser beings in the room. Their boss throws back what remains of her scotch, then presses her knuckles into her eyes. "So after all that, the target just got on a plane with you. And left. Abandoned her mission just like that."

"Yeah." Roxie looks to the woman sitting next to her. "You had to be there, it was a total clown show. I thought I was being pretty clear on that part, right?"

Eadan nods vigorously in agreement. "Yeah! Makes perfect sense!"

"Shut up, Roxie!" The petite blond on the other side of the desk hurls her empty glass right into Roxie's gut. "No. No, it doesn't make sense. Absolutely nothing in either of your reports made any logical sense at all! You're telling me that you got off the plane, raced to the listening post in the middle of a hurricane, cut her," she motions angrily at Eadan, "off her noose, then - immediately, first thing out of your mouth - was to tell her to yank the target's harddrives with her renegade?"

"It was the perfect opportunity," Eadan beams. "And it worked! And we didn't talk, we just used electro - "

"Stop! How can you possibly defend her right now?" Their boss' accusatory finger slowly transitions back over to Roxie. "You. Are. A Terrible. Friend."

"I thought it was the perfect opportunity," Roxie mumbles, shrugging. "I mean, it was just a little rope burn."

Their boss stands up, dumbstruck. She sits, then pats around on her table as if she were desperately looking for some papers to shuffle while she decides on the best way to feign outrage.

"Yo ma'am, quit getting all spazzy Neumann on us." A smug grin crosses Roxie's face. "I mean, yeah, the story sounds pretty fishy and ridiculous in retrospect, but all the intel's good."

"Have you ever heard of anyone bringing in this much, ma'am? We even have enough now that we could infiltrate a UGN branch now!" Eadan presses her hands together in excitement. "We have all of their paperwork for recruiting since they were trying to pull in all the extra renegades at the scene. It's the perfect opportunity!"

The dumbfounded fidgeting suddenly stops. A dreadful quiet takes its place.

Roxie thumbs back towards the door. "So, uh... Can we go now?"

"Yes. Go away. Forever."

Eadan and Roxie exchange puzzled glances.

"I'm transferring you both to the other side of the planet so that I don't have to see you anymore." She pulls a stack of papers from one of her drawers and drops them in front of her. "Another part of it is so that Miss Callaghan can carry out this idea of hers. I'll have you both on a plane to City N within the next day. I suggest you both brush up on your Japanese."

The two friends high-five without missing a beat.

"Get out!"

pre:

Roxie "Airwave" Madani, Guild Assassin
Pure Breed Black Dog
Main Theme and Combat

Origin:    Endless Fighting
Work:      Hacker
Cover:     High School Teacher
Awakening: Repentance
Impulse:   Hunger

Body   Sense   Mind   Social
Pure Black Dog    2       4      1       1
Hacker            0       0      1       0
Add (30)                  3                  
Total             2       7      2       1

Max HP     = Body*2 + Mind + 20 + 10 = 36
Initiative = Sense*2 + Mind = 16
Move       = Init+5 = 21 meters
Dash       = Move*2 = 42 meters
Base ER    = 36%

Skills:
Knowledge: Electrical Engineering 2
Negotiation      1
Procure          1
Info: Internet   2
Info: Underworld 2
Ranged           4 (8)
Will             1 (2)

Powers:
Security Cut
Tapping & On Air
Radio Jamming

Hard Wired (15) Level 7 (30)
   Linear Cannon
      8 atk pwr, -2 acc, 50m range, target takes 
      a -2 dodge penalty, auto action to equip
   4x Lock on (+8 ranged)
   2x Dermal Plating (+10 HP)
Concentrate (15) Level 3 (10)
Resurrect
Warding
Weapon Link (15) Level 2 (5)

Stock (4 Stock):
Data Collection Team (2 Stock)
   +3 score to an Info check three times per scenario.
Memento
   +1 to Will (Lucky's Hairpin) (1 Stock)
Informant Contact (1 Stock)
   +2 dice for Info: Underworld
Lois (Enemy): Akira "Lucky" Takeshi, UGN Agent
(Protection/Loathing)

Lucky posted:

"You don't need to keep living like this, Roxie. All you need to do is ask and I can help you go legit."
"Ugh. You ever give up, boy?"
"Never."
"Maybe you should start, 'cause that's the kind of attitude that gets you a closed-casket funeral."
"Well it didn't tonight, did it? All credit to you, of course. So what's your excuse for being in the neighborhood this time?"
"First, go gently caress yourself. Second, I'm sorry you're an easy counter-surveillance target. Maybe if you stopped being terrible at your job then you'd be seeing less of me."
"Hah, yeah. Sure. Whatever you say. Same time next week, then?"

Lois (Secrets): Sofia "Catalyst" Liu-Vostrokova, UGN Branch Chief
(Fellowship/Inferiority)

Catalyst posted:

"So where are you intending to ditch me before heading back to your hideout? You should know I wouldn't let a puzzle like that lie. Though perhaps I would have Switchboard attempt to track you down. It would be a good exercise for her - especially to make amends for allowing you to subvert our network."

Lois (Forgotten): Eadan "Sparrow" Callaghan
(Sincerity/Pity)

Sparrow posted:

"I can't do this, Roxie. I can't take it anymore. I'm so tired of this run-down house, tired of just hearing what everybody else is doing, tired of just being alone. I can't do this." She took another deep breath and settled down, though only a bit. "You'll have your info in ten minutes. Don't worry about coming up here, it's not necessary anymore."
"I'm so glad you're back! I - I should have just waited a little longer, but I had lost hope that... You know. No worry thinking about the past, right? Hey, we should go looking for a scarf to cover up this scar! Do you think - ?"
"Woah woah, stop. We need to talk about your issues first."
"What issues? Everything's been fine since you came back!"
"Yeah, that's not weird at all. It's not like you just attempted to hang yourself over me or anything! Hah. Hah. Nah."
"I mean... W - Well..."

Sparrow Callaghan is the last surviving member of the Guild cell known as The Daylighters, colloquially referred to by the locals as Mackey's Crew. Rather than fall to a single catastrophic event, the cell eventually collapsed due to attrition caused by their tendency to undertake incredibly high risk raids, leaving Sparrow with the sole responsibility of operating The Guild's regional listening post.

pre:

Eadan "Sparrow" Callaghan, Guild Master Spy
AKA
Rori "Cleena" Mackay, UGN Spy
Angel Halo/Chimaera/Black Dog
Main Theme and Combat

Origin:    Stable Household
Work:      Jack of All Trades
Cover:     UGN Agent
Awakening: Anger
Impulse:   Self Mutilation

Body   Sense   Mind   Social
Angel Halo        2       1      1       0
Chimaera          2       1      0       1
Jack              1        
Add (20)          1       1                  
Total             6       3      1       1

Max HP     = Body*2 + Mind + 20 = 33
Initiative = Sense*2 + Mind = 7
Move       = Init+5 = 12 meters
Dash       = Move*2 = 24 meters
Base ER    = 33%

Skills:
Dodge       2 (2)
Perception  4 (6)
Procure     1
Melee       2 (2)
Info: Rumor 1

Powers:
Tapping and On-Air
Noon Star
Dormant Genes
Rabbit Ears (2)
Angel's Mantle (2)
Security Cut (2)
Electronics Master (2)
Hound's Nose (2)

Heat Haze Robe 1 (15)
Reflexes (Angel Halo) 3 (25)
Beast Eyes (15)
Hawk Wings 2 (20)

Stock (4 Stock):
Laptop (2 Stock)
Search Radar (2 Stock)
T-Lois: Secret Weapon: The Tooth of Cromm (Blade Bullet)
This powerful dagger requires the occasional blood sacrifice to keep its dark whisperings at bay, and it's said that previous owners were driven mad by its demands. It hasn't been at all unruly under Sparrow's care, however, as her impulse tends to keep it well fed. Some might even consider it a happy relationship.

Lois: Roxie "Airwave" Madani
(Euphoria/Remorse)

Airwave posted:

"I'm Airwave. I like to drink blood and smoke the weed."

Lois: Yugo "Leviathan" Kiritani, Director of UGN Japan
(Dying Wishes/Favoritism)

Leviathan posted:

"This is some great stuff, Cleena! How did you manage it?"
"Oh, you know... Right place at the right time. I'm a lot more handy at this than I thought I would be."
"For a new agent? Absolutely. This new intel on the Guild and Fallen Hearts will likely save many lives."
"I, um, well... I'm not perfect at this. I could have easily misinterpreted some things!"
"Don't undersell yourself. That's a normal risk in our line of business."
"I suppose."
"Anyways, good job. Take the rest of the day off and go get some rest. You deserve it."

never forget:

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 4, 2014

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Magdalene family is known for its wealth and power in Europe, but what's less known are its connections to the UGN. In the early years of the UGN, they were one of the chief backers, financially supporting it before world governments stepped in. The darker secret, however, is that the Magdalenes' history is tied in closely to the renegade virus itself. The Magdalenes' family legends are interwoven with stories of vampires and werewolves, and some even credit the success of their family with the shadowed machinations of supernatural creatures. Whether or not this is true, it is believed by some radical historians that their family is proof of renegade activity prior to Cauldwell's revelations. Whatever the truth, at least two powerful Bram Stoker overeds have come out of the family, and it's rumored a Bram Stoker / Chimaera as well.

Matsushima Mika
The secret weapon of Abel Magdalene

UGN children rarely know their parentage, but Miku knows her family. Though she's considered part of the esteemed Matsushima family, her father was of the infamous Magdalene family. Her father tried to flee his family, only to be murdered by his kin as an example. Little did the Magdalenes know that his lover was pregnant with child, however, and would later die in childbirth. It was Abel Magdalene, a founding figure in the UGN and exile from the family, that would ensure her safety with the Matsushimas.

This is a lie.

This lie is what Mika has been told all of her life. The truth is that Abel murdered them once he saw Mika's potential. Awakening into the virus from a very early age, he saw her as a weapon to groom for his purposes. The murder was covered up; convenient lies were fed to the Matsushimas. She was brought into the UGN at an early age for her own "protection" in Tsukuba Science City, though she later would be allowed to stay with the Matsuhima family for times to develop a cover for the future.

Developing as a strong Chimera, Mika excelled as a combatant, but never showed much interest in the investigatory aspects of the UGN. Frankly, combat was all Abel showed appreciation for. He reinforced her desire for battle, and once she saw actions against gjaums for the first time was the first time her Bram Stroker side was revealed, draining a gjaum of its blood with perhaps troubling lack of trauma. Mika treated it as a game from early on, even going as far as to craft a beloved "killbook", marking down things like "time to kill", "weight of gjaums slain", and "highest combo chain". It even included things like songs to sing as she did her work, though these were invariably awful. Though level heads within the UGN tried to curb this, even disposing of several killbooks, Abel used his influence to ensure Mika got the combat missions she desired. Her only real hesitation came against members of False Hearts - when it came to gjaums, she did not cope well with ambiguity. Ultimately, though, Mika was pretty happy. She was the conquering heroine of the UGN in her own eyes, and though she was never a great team player, her willingness to take the front endeared some UGN children to her even as others were irritated at her lack of attention to mission details.

Then, things changed when Abel died.

What exactly happened was unclear. What is known is that following a mission in Zurich, UGN Agent Madeline Madgalene abandoned her post in the UGN. She was next seen breaking into a secure UGN facility in Tsukuba where she confronted Abel, murdering him with her anti-renegade servants born from her unique strain of Bram Stoker. Leaving her servants to finish the job, she nearly escaped cleanly, but Mika ran across her, as if by fate. Mika failed to apprehend her, and it would only be later that rumors and leaks would filter down to her. Soon thereafter, she would be transferred to Kariya to stay with the Matsushimas full-time.

But she hasn't forgotten the face of the figure that killed her adoptive father.

Living in Kariya has been different, though. She no longer sees as much action as before, spending more time under her cover and with a family she hardly knows. Her assignments have become to be more grey, sometimes with dealing illegals or the newly awakened to struggle against, and she's hesitated and questioned more. She's found a daily life more of a struggle - classes, friends, family - than murdering monsters ever was for her. She's separated from all the UGN children she knew, and for the first time in her existence, has started to resent the UGN. For the first time, having her life entirely in the hands of others seems less appealing. Only the Matsushimas have really countered this, having a level of patience and kindness Mika finds perplexing and sometimes frustrating, but ultimately comforting.

Still, she needs the UGN if she's ever going to find Abel's killer. Of course, she doesn't know the truth - that Abel was a gjaum for who knows how long, hiding in UGN's power structure. Madeline found out, and that's part of why she abandoned the UGN, and why she killed him.

It's the sort of revelation that would be very dangerous for a powerful, young overed to find out.

pre:
Matsushima "Abomination" Mika

Still retains the Magdalene fashion "sense".

Breed: Crossbreed		Syndrome: Chimaera/Bram Stoker	Work: UGN Child A
Cover: High School Student	Origin: Foster Parents		Experience: Transfer Student
Encounter: Murderous Intent	Awakening: Birth		Impulse: Battle Lust
Lois: Madeline Magdalene 	S-Lois: Himura Yuka		T-Lois: Renegade Crystal

Base Enroachment Rate: 33%	HP: 29		Initiative: 4		Move: 9

Body 4		Sense 1		Mind 2			Social 1

Melee 4				RC 1			Info: UGN 2
Dodge 1				Will 1			Procure 3

Common Powers		Chimaera Powers			Bram Stoker Powers

Resurrect 1		Blade of Vengeance 3		Fragrant Fresh Blood
Warding 1		Beast's Intuition		Concentrate: Bram Stoker 3
			Complete Theiranthropy 2	Ruler of the Bloody River 1
			Dormant Genes			The Thirsting Lord 2
			Reaming Claw 1

Items (Stock Points: 0): UGN Battle Armor (Armor 8)
Himura Yuka
Classmate, Conscious Anxiety, Unconscious Trust

quote:

"So, blam, that rhymes with gjaum, right?", Mika muses, staring at the eraser of a pencil.

Yuka shook her head. "Not even in the slightest. Are you seriously writing another song?"

Squinting at the writing utensil as if it might hold some revelation, Mika mumbled, "Maybe."

"Look, you don't have to write a new song each time, just write one some dumb song you can remember.", Yuka stated in her matter-of-fact matter. "You don't want to try and remember a song while some monster is trying to kill you."

Mika sighed, and then added, "I just hope that if I write one, I'll have a monster to use it on, is all."

"Isn't a monster showing up a bad thing? Shouldn't you have sense about this kind of thing by now?", Yuka grumbled, poking at her phone before staring out of the classroom window.

"Eh, there will always be monsters.", Mika replied simply, writing something down. "Calm, mom... oh! Bomb!"

Yuka found out what I was soon after I transferred, mostly because her parents apparently belong to Tindalos, which is some civilian group that hates the UGN. Technically I'm not supposed to reveal my existence, but it's not against the rules if she already knew, right? Plus, it's hard making friends at a new school. I worry a little that the UGN will find out and wipe her mind or something. She doesn't deserve that. Of course, if her parents found out about me, that'd be trouble, too. But we both understand that.

Madeline Magdalene
Murderous Intent, Conscious Anger, Unconscious Curiosity

quote:

Looking up at the blood-soaked woman, Mika narrowed her eyes. There was something familiar in her, no doubt, but she was used to troubling scenes. There was a silence between the two. "I don't recognize you.", Mika said simply, tensing. "Can I see your badge?" Madelene lifted her chin, and produced her now quite invalid, bloodied badge, tossing it to the UGN child.

The blood on the badge burned Mika's hands, distracting her as Madeline walked past, and as Mika turned to give chase, Madeline took off at a faster pace, lashing out with blood that quickly coalesced into a servant. Enough to slow her down, but Mika tensed, instead, smirking. Well, at least she was going to have a fight tonight, and would have to be enough.

The Magdaline family is made up of monsters, but Madeline's the one I want. She may not be False Hearts, but she's just as bad as they are. Maybe she's a gjaum, maybe she's human, I don't care. I want her to tell me why she did what she did, then die. I have to keep this to myself, though. I'd go under review if I started just talking about it. I just need to be in a position to get the information I need to catch her and get close. She's just a puppeteer, and can't do much on her own. If I'm close enough, I'll have her.

More on Madeline and Abel can be found under her Chapter 0 application.

Crystallized Gjaum Virus
Renegade Crystal

The Magdalene blood often has manifested the Bram Stoker strain in strange ways, and Mika is no exception. Her tendency in the past to drink gjaum blood has resulted in her absorbing power over the years, and her body naturally forming a crystalline structure akin to the renegade crystals once sought by Jin Kusakabe. However, the power of the gjaum was never meant for humans, and drawing upon it causes considerable strain and suffering. There's the possibility that if she consumed a gjaum strong enough, she might develop greater power... or become a gjaum herself.

Theme Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwCg0RkuV18
By coincidence, it turns out the vocal version has appropriate lyrics as well.

Last-Minute Edit: made some edits to her background, largely for clarity.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 1, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Kids, y'all need to settle down and pay attention. Sensei's gonna show ya how we do things back in Osaka!"

Mitsue "Schwarzschild" Hasegawa

Mitsue would like to say she had some sob story or traumatic event on how she got weird powers, but... no, sorry. She woke up with the Renegade one day and it shaped her entire life.

A little kid that crossed between spaces and flipped across time streams, how weird was that? Her single mother saw both the score and the opportunity. A career criminal, Ms. Saito conditioned her only daughter to use her powers for her petty crime plans. It worked for a while, until it didn't. And that last time turned out pretty badly for all of them. The police found a young Mitsue in the middle of a botched bank robbery with her mother on one end of a vault and a spatial portal on another end. They took the girl away from there faster than you could have said "foster care".

Strangely enough, despite displaying the obvious signs of an overed, the authorities never placed Mitsue in an institution or even the nascent UGN. Someone tampered with the paperwork, ensured the incident fell under the bureaucratic cap, and transferred Mitsue to a foster family far away from Tokyo. A young local official oversaw her case during that time. Many years later, that same official exposed himself as a False Hearts agent.

Even without her real mother, turned out the apple didn't fall far from the tree. At least with her mother, Mitsue found some outlet for the Renegade. In foster care, her power soon went straight to her head and made her both lax and rebellious. She acted even more with subtly, of course, but only as a matter of necessity. She struggled with her new family, her new high school in Osaka, even with the street gangs she either joined or fought with. She pushed the limits of what she can get away with. She was different, she was... powerful. Why would she ever back down?

On the aftermath of a certain school rumble, Mitsue came face to face with the campus's heavy-handed hall monitor, Philip Ishida. When she tried to strike him, she faced something weird and new: Someone who could strike back. Ishida turned out be much like her, an overed with terrible powers. Those two petty egos entered a deadly standoff that escalated rapidly and nearly tore the campus quadrangle apart.

Mitsue woke on a hospital room a week after the explosion, neatly covered up as a freak incident. She never found out who took her there, or why they brought her in the same room as Ishida. But there they were, two idiots who pushed too hard on each other and paid dearly for it. They had a good laugh over that. Maybe during that long hospital stay, she realized there were other people that were as nasty, headstrong, and inhumanly powerful as she was. And she didn't want to be part of that.

After high school, she worked to get a teacher's license in a second-rate college and worked side-jobs as a courier for mob bosses. Hey, she just moved the goods (with portals), she didn't do the crimes herself, that was fine, right? Besides, she really needed the money. Her foster parents were understanding and cool, but she wanted to pursue her dream to become a teacher on her own. If there were other kids out there with crazy superpowers, wouldn't they need a teacher to beat some sense into them before they ended up like her?

She got a golden opportunity when one of her mob contacts led her to a sweet gig outside Osaka. A teaching job in a prominent public school? Hey, why not? All she had to do was work part-time for the Hanashima Family. She could swallow going back to crime for free lodging and a chance to teach. It's not like she would get a better chance like this anywhere else.

Even if this new city happens to be her mother's hometown.

quote:

Personal Data
Syndromes: Balor/Chimaera
Work: Courier (Driver)
Cover: Math Teacher
Base Encroachment Rate: 31

Life History
Awakening: Unknown (ER: 15)
Impulse: Battle Lust (ER: 16)
Origin: Criminal Parent
Event: Long Hospitalization
Encounter: Benefactor

Stats:
Body: 5
Sense: 3
Mind: 2

Skills:
Ride - Two-Wheel: 4
Melee: 2
Dodge: 1
Negotiation: 1
Information - Rumor: 1
Information - Underworld: 2

Powers
Common Powers: Warding 1, Resurrect 1, Concentrate - Balor 2
Combat Powers: Fist of Darkness 2, Horned Ogre 1, Repulsion Jump 1, Aegis Shield 2
Simple Powers: The Emperor’s Time, Dimension Gate, Deflection Sensory

Equipment
Cellphone [0]
Informant [1]: +2 dice bonus for one Info: Underworld Check.
Motorcycle [5]

Loises posted:

Reiko Saito, Reformed Criminal (Mother, Earnestness/Enmity)

You have: [six] new messages.

<beep>

"Mitsue? It's me. I called up some of your co-workers, and they gave me your number. I'd like to talk to you sometime, please call back."

<beep>

"Mitsue, please answer your phone. I know you're getting these. You come back after all these years and you don't eve-"

<beep>

"Mitsue, answer me! Mit-"

<beep>

"I'm trying here, Mitsue! Ple-"

<beep>

"GODDAMMIT MITSUE I'M YOUR MOTHER AND I WANT YOU TO-"

<beep>

"Hey. I'm sorry about the last message, I...

Mitsue, I work afternoons in Moonbucks cafe, in the shopping mall. If you have time, you know... stop on by, I'll make you a cup of coffee. Least I can do.

You know, not a second passed since that day when I didn't think of you. I know I failed you in every day, it's just... I've been trying to be different now. Being something new. I'm doing everything I can to make up for everything, you know. I just... I just want that chance. I want to show it you. If you have time.

I love you."

---

Philip "Prophet" Ishida, Angel Halo UGN Agent (Friend, Love/Pity)

"So, y'never told me where ya worked these days, Ishida-kun."

"Eh... government work, ain't that special. It's one of them three-letter agencies, that's as far as they'll let me say. They put me in charge of cleaning up the... nasty stuff that happens around here in this city. Spin control, heavy liftin', y'know how it is. Turns out I'm pretty dang good at what I do."

"From hall monitor to government spook, huh? Weird how that goes. Ever get to use your glowy powers much?"

"Ahahaha... Hase-chan, you have no idea."

---

Shotaro Kashima, Hanashima Family Boss (Benefactor, Aspiration/Hatred)

"Kansai girl, huh? Well, alright, welcome to the Hanashima Family. Don't think we're some rough and tumble mobsters like you heard on the news. We're a legitimate business operation and that's how we're gonna stay in public. Do your job, don't make a fuss, and keep your nose in your own business. Standard stuff. Do that, you'll do okay by me.

Though, I hear you got some special talents too? Don't be shy about it, "Schwarzschild", you wouldn't be here if it ain't for that little detail. Heh. I got some friends up above who are always looking for raw talent like yours. Stick around with the family for a while, you'll get to meet them soon enough."

Mitama fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 1, 2014

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Alright, changed my sheet bigtime.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

:siren:Alright! APPS ARE CLOSED:siren:

I will go about the difficult task of making picks from this selection of apps in the next day or two.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

OK HERE ARE THE PICKS!

Ra'id Belcry played by Transient People

Jan Smith played by Mr. Fowl

Luca Jaegar played by Davin Valkri

Sano and Sofia played by Gorbash

Roxie and Edan played by Atlatl

Josaphine Wainwright played by Lurks With Wolves

Mitsue Hasegawa played by TurninTrix

Alrght, I'll be posting the introductory Scenario Loises for each of you sometime this week. While I work on that, you guys should talk amongst each other to get around the same "power level", so play is more balanced.

I'll be able to help out too, when I have free time.

Edit: I should add that, when dealing with multiple characters, I would like to choose which one a player is controlling for the first episode, and then I'll let Gorbash and Atlatl(or anyone else who wants to take control of a new character later) choose on their own from there before the next episode starts.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 3, 2014

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Congrats to those that made it in

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Agreed, hope you all have a great game!

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Alright, here are the scenario loises for everyone. If anything seems out of character, or you're unclear on something, tell me.

Ra’id Belcry
”Red Eyes”

A series of bizarre killings have happened across Kariya, most of the victims being False Heart or criminally related. In these killings, the only thing found damaged is the corpse, which usually looks as though it has been torn to shreds, sometimes even eaten.

The killings seem to happen anywhere the UGN isn’t paying close enough attention, even in crowded areas, although non-overeds never notice anything until the victim simply becomes a corpse a mere instant later.

Following these incidents, about 30 minutes later, a non-overed is offered a “bargain” from a red-eyed individual, typically the bargain offered has to do with obtaining knowledge of some sort. Then, should they accept, they learn whatever it was Red Eyes was offering as a bargain, and are put into unconsciousness for the next 2 hours.

It is very likely that Red Eyes is linked to the killings, and is probably targeting non-overeds with this strange Bargain as some kind of impulse. Now you just have to find some way of tracking them down…

This person is apparently your superior, even if you’ve been stationed to Kariya. Her words continue to ring in your head, her cold and brutal voice leaving a lasting mark on your memory.

“You are being sent to Kariya for a good reason. You see, the new Branch Chief there is connected to a powerful Gjaum. In fact he is the one to blame for the situation worsening in Zurich. When you are transferred there, report anything odd to me. If it looks like Ra’id Belcry might betray the UGN in any way… simply tell me about it.”

You were also told not to tell Ra'id, or anyone else, about your connection to Maria.

Your arrival into City N has gone uneventfully so far… it looks like the UGN has a presence here, but it is so limited you would be better off gaining information from a different source.

The person you’ve decided to contact for information of what’s going on in this city is Shotaro Kashima, the head of the leading crime family in Kariya. He appears to share a link with False Hearts, but if you’re careful about approaching him, you’ll likely get the information you need…

While Roxie is stuck with the boring task of setting up a data sieve, something only a Black Dog could do well, you are tasked with learning more about the UGN in the area. It’s pretty obvious from the feel of Kariya that something very serious, and probably very dangerous, is about to happen but you can place your finger on why.

Either way, gathering data on the UGN shouldn’t be hard, considering you were just “transferred” to the City N Branch under your UGN alias, gathering info shouldn’t be too hard. Keeping herself out of the Neumann branch chief’s suspicions should most likely be a big priority, however.

Sofia Liu-Vostrokova

It looks like the boss has a new client they want you to drive around… Of course, not collecting any info on them while you can would be dumb. The only info the boss texted you was that she’s a Neumann and wants to know as much as she can about the town, who knows why though.

He also said that this is a job you HAVE to do.

Some rumors have been flying around about the substitute teacher. All of it is stuff like being seen with weirdos or something. Nothing really damning or anything, but something definitely seems suspicious about her! She might just be… a criminal!

It doesn't help that she always gives you bad grades, too.

Jan Smith

Because of all the errands that creepy albino has had you running involving “Red Eye”, you’ve gotten in trouble for skipping class too often and you’ve been assigned Jan as a tutoring assignment.

They probably did it to keep both of you busy, but it seems like Jan isn’t exactly what she seems. Besides being an airhead, there seems to be something about her you can’t quite place… If you were a UGN lapdog she’d probably be suspicious enough to report.

You can probably find out her deal on your own, though.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 5, 2014

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
"... When I was just a baby, / my momma told me son, / 'always be a good boy; don't ever play with guns,' / but I shot a man in - "

" - Giza! - "

" - Newry! - "

" - Just to watch him die. / When I hear that whistle blowin', / I hang - "

"Hey Rox?" Eadan turns down the volume as the two pull up to the front of the school. Getting to drive around in her excessively luxurious UGN company car was only one of the benefits of playing the double agent game. "Will the post be much longer?"

"Yeah, yeah. Get off my back," Roxie whines. "It'll be done soon enough - "

"Soon?"

" - Yeah, that's what I said. This - "

"That's not very specific. How can I work with that?"

" - Shut it. This cram school bullshit means I'm wasting more time than I expected on teaching these drat kids."

"While you're at it, could you give this one a nice little stand for me to hang myself from?"

"Holy poo poo, too soon!"

"Very well."

Roxie narrows her eyes at her driver. "Don't you sass me!"

"Very well!"

Roxie groans and presses her head to the window. "Eadan?"

"Roxie?"

"Be serious for a second!" The assassin backhands her elbow. "Don't you let that boss of yours see me anywhere near you, aight? I'm sure he'll recognize me and blow your cover right away. We need to stop loving around and doing stuff like carpooling or hanging out in public."

"Fiiiine," Eadan pouts. "I'll get serious. It's not as if he's a mind-reader Solaris, though. Neumanns are bad, but they tend to show off by vomiting up everything they know at the first opportunity. In any case, I expect to be able to distance myself from him enough that there shouldn't be much risk. I'm not concerned at all."

"Bullshit! You're a terrible liar."

"Obviously not! I'd most certainly be dead by now if that were the case." She raps her fingers on the steering wheel and frowns. "I'm out of practice, but... Well... You're right."

"Oh yeah, Eadan?"

"Eadan online."

Roxie snickers. "You know they're saying stuff about us at school?"

"Oh? Do tell."

"People get the wrong idea about a couple of old hags like us living together," she says with a low laugh. "Anyways, I'll see you after work."

Eadan pulls a box out from behind her seat, waiting patiently for her partner in crime to get out of the car and get a little further into the crowd of highschoolers. Timing was critical. The moment that Roxie turns to wave goodbye, she scrambles out of her seat and runs to her side.

"「Don't forget the lunch I packed you!」" Eadan's Japanese was perfect. She shoves the box into the assassin's hands and proceeds to give her an overly familiar hug.

"What?" Roxie freezes in place, then turns a deep shade of crimson as she feels herself become the center of attention. It was all too clear that this was planned. "You loving troll."

Eadan lets the hug drag on as she whispers in her ear. "You think I don't already know anything you've got to report? You're two days late with that one. Get. On. My. Level." She stands up and gives Roxie a patronizing pat on the head. "And never forget who taught you your ways. 「I'll see you after work, love~!」"

"God. Damnit."

Eadan retreats to her car and peels out, cackling maniacally the entire short way to the UGN offices. It was a crying shame that she wouldn't get to see Roxie's face when she discovered the contents of her bento box: a heart-shaped card reading "get yourself someone tasty to eat" and a box of flechette rounds.

Ra'id Belcry: Curiosity/Anxiety

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
"Ayame, I don't get this kid I'm tutoring."

[could jst ditch her]

"No, the kid's cool. She's just weird."

[wht kind of weird]

"Spacey. Friendly but not good at it. Watched a lot of Brady Bunch."

[so homeschooled]

"Maybe? There's just something to her you don't get from a tutored kid."

"Maybe something like us."

[u sure]

"If I was sure I'd tell you."

"Got to go. Jan's doing a bike jump. Got to make sure she doesn't split her head open."

Jan Smith: Affinity/Reservation

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Branch Chief's Diary posted:

Interruptions at every turn. I suppose I should have foreseen this, but it irks me, nonetheless. Not that it matters. A Branch Chief has no license to complain, nor will anyone care for his lamentations. I will do as I must and turn this threat into an opportunity instead. A killer skilled enough to slay False Hearts operatives without being caught makes for a useful tool, one the UGN will make good use of. This will make for a good test of my agents' discretion and mettle. We shall observe, stand by, and facilitate information to the necessary parties, keeping the collateral damage and civilian casualties as close to zero as we can while this 'Red Eyes' and False Hearts have at it. And once the dust has settled, we will step out and finish off whoever is left.

Emotions: Potential/Contempt.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 5, 2014

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Silly me, I wrote this thinking we were mutual Loises or whatever. Anyway, I don't feel like deleting it.

"Jo. Jo. Hey Jo. Jo, hey, watch this. Waaaaaatch meeeeee."

Josephine looks over just in time for Jan to tumble facefirst over her handlebars, landing solidly on her face.

"Owwwwwww...I'm okay." She gives an thumbs up. Unfortunately, being inverted, it's a thumbs-down. "Worth it!" She smiles through the grit.

Josephine seems cool, in retrospect. When Jan got assigned to do extra work, she thought it was going to be terrible. She's not that great at math. Or chemistry. Or history...Oh, but I make up for it in gym! So when it turned out that she could just do bike tricks during the study session. This is the easiest study period that she's ever had!

"So you haven't seen Mork & Mindy? Seriously? It's like, the best old show you could watch." She picks up her bike and inspects it. The frame is bent. She glances over to Josephine, and seeing that she's occupied with...her phone? Something? Jan decides to deal with it, taking the frame in both hands and carefully bending it back into shape. She looks back--still doing whatever. Good.

"Oh, hey, Teacher is back in the classroom. I wonder how she's feeling. Hi!" Jan waves to the teacher inside the study room.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 5, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

devilmaydry posted:

Luca Jaeger
Maria Chesnokov

This person is apparently your superior, even if you’ve been stationed to Kariya. Her words continue to ring in your head, her cold and brutal voice leaving a lasting mark on your memory.

“You are being sent to Kariya for a good reason. You see, the new Branch Chief there is connected to a powerful Gjaum. In fact he is the one to blame for the situation worsening in Zurich. When you are transferred there, report anything odd to me. If it looks like Ra’id Belcry might betray the UGN in any way… simply tell me about it.”

You were also told not to tell Ra'id, or anyone else, about your connection to Maria.

*ring ring*
"Jaeger speaking."
"You will use your codename in the field at all times, Finding Truths."
"Fine. Finding Truths speaking. What can I do for you."
"For you, whom?"
"...Fragarach."
"Any updates to the situation on the ground?"
"None. All police and criminal channels are silent. And while I wouldn't say absence of evidence is evidence of absence..."
"Don't give me suppositions. You find truths, not guesses."
"Yes, Fragarach. If I may, why trust me with this? Why not any other of your agents? I'm...new to this."
"Do not doubt, Finding Truths, it is beneath you. And it is precisely your newness that I require. Familiarity breeds contempt and laxity. I need fresh eyes for this tracking job."
"Sigh..."
"Were you this inquisitive as a Zurich officer?"
"Yes...no...I don't know!"
"Then I suggest you learn, Finding Truths. Fragarach out."
"Jae...Finding Truths out. Ugh...what's with her?"

Maria Chesnokov: Curiosity/Threatened

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Hey, Ishida-kun. Yeah, sorry, can't drink, on the job right now. I'm drivin' this lady for the boss. y'know how it is. Yeah, foreigner, how did you know? She wants a tour around the city for some reason, not sure why it's gonna be me, but I ain't paid to ask. Yeah, she's not that dull, but eh, I don't really get her that much. I mean, her Japanese's pretty good and she asks me like some the craziest stuff about the history of this one city block or how long's my clothes been "in style" or whatever. She's one of them super-genius types, folks like us, y'know? Maybe that's how they work? Anyway, I reckon it's gonna be a long night, so don't wait on me.

What? Yeah, she's cute, why'd you as- oh, screw you. Haha, dammit, I'll call you back later, gotta pick her up at the hotel now. Get smashed for me.

[click]

God, I
do need a drink."

Sofia Liu-Vostrokova: Infatuation/Reservation

Mitama fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 6, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Switchboard:

In response to your query, my primary contact so far has been with Shotaro Kashima, oyabun of the Hanashima-gumi. An interesting man. Something of a throw back, to an ideal that likely never actually existed but remains an archetype in the popular consciousness. The act is tiring, not least because it is even more of a pantomime than the persona adopted by typical criminals. There is something more than a little vile about one such as him presenting such a courteous face to the world. His paternalism is even more misplaced in my case.

Still, his code, no matter how inherently hypocritical, makes it possible to establish a clear understanding. A working relationship with defined rules and boundaries. More importantly, he can deliver on his promises and the resources I require. I am under no illusions as to what will happen if our interests come into conflict.

Despite this knowledge, I somehow find that our interactions are always cordial. Perhaps it is simply a matter of knowing precisely where we stand that removes any stress from the encounter.

I will send further information at a later date. Kashima has detailed a subordinate to transport me to the locations I identified as points of interest earlier, and she should be arriving shortly, unless the traffic reports were delayed again.

I think you will like her.

Emotions: Affinity / Repugnance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

:siren:The game thread is now up:siren:

• Locked thread