Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Still amazed every time I come in here to see it getting this good. You're a good person for keeping this little guy on the road in these circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Missed this thread earlier. This is an awesome thread about necromancy. Great work so far.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Swapped out the booster and master cylinder for rebuilt ones. Brakes are so wonderfully light and feel like a modern car now.

And put a load of suitable stickers on it

Planning to do something along the lines of this once it's painted

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/168915509/grateful-dead-driver-carries-no-tapes

Holy gently caress.... that price can't be right, but yeah, god drat it, now I feel old.

Anyway get this.

Or look around for one.

InterceptorV8 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 29, 2014

schwim
Mar 24, 2004
Pfizer test subject
What a great resurrection! Thanks for keeping it alive :)

I couldn't tell from the couple of engine bay pics, but if you haven't already, you should consider safety-wiring the carb inlet.

I started doing this (along with moving my cheap fuel filters out of the engine bay) after almost torching my 70 bay due to the brass barb popping out. I wouldn't want to see you have to test your fire suppression kit.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

schwim posted:

What a great resurrection! Thanks for keeping it alive :)

I couldn't tell from the couple of engine bay pics, but if you haven't already, you should consider safety-wiring the carb inlet.

I started doing this (along with moving my cheap fuel filters out of the engine bay) after almost torching my 70 bay due to the brass barb popping out. I wouldn't want to see you have to test your fire suppression kit.

As soon as I got it on the road again I put in a big strand of wire just like that. Already had one fire due to that barb falling out, rather not have another :ohdear: Everything is dead stock engine-wise, so, thankfully no fuel filter to worry about.

InterceptorV8 posted:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/168915509/grateful-dead-driver-carries-no-tapes

Holy gently caress.... that price can't be right, but yeah, god drat it, now I feel old.

Anyway get this.

Or look around for one.

I work with a huge deadhead who used to follow them around years ago. I know he'd have the biggest smile on his face if I showed up with that on the bus.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Trip report!

Sunday - Two days before the 1200 mile journey, discovered copious amounts of oil in my engine bay, oil leaking from the pressure switch, and a slipping clutch when in 3rd/4th. Pulled the engine to investigate

Found it was leaking oil through the rear main seal and flywheel seal onto the clutch, and stripped threads for the oil pressure switch. Replaced with new seals, replaced oil cooler seals, used a brass insert to fix the oil switch, and reinstalled.

Made it almost all the way home and then promptly lost nearly all my oil through the passenger side valve cover on the freeway. Theory is the replacement engine sheet metal we made was riding the valve cover and warped it, preventing it from sealing properly.

Had it towed back to my friends shop. Thankfully they let me borrow their bus to get home and go to work for Monday

Drove it back over there after work, replaced the valve cover with a new one, refilled the engine with oil, and ran it until it was hot. No oil was found to be leaking, so, called it good and drove it back home, ready for tomorrow.

Made it safely to Bakersfield Tuesday night, with no real issues to report. Ran absolutely great, and stayed toasty warm with the working heater system (I was actually surprised how warm it got)

Met up with some friends and headed over the Tehachapi mountains

Picked up one more bus at Barstow, and made it to Lake Havasu City!

Home sweet home

Got up early and got in line. This was at 9 in the morning, gates opened at 11 and there must have been over 100 buses already waiting

Pulled in, ended up being bus number 23!

Stayed there Thursday through Sunday (Wednesday was in the overflow camped outside the main gate). Roughly 420 buses showed up

Loads of people selling things, so, managed to pickup some good stuff. Bought an original Westfalia tent that hooks onto the side of the roof

Found a suitable local beer for my bus

Managed to pickup a set of 71 front seats for the bus

Won a really awesome hand painted bottle in the raffle

Had a friend's dog run into my bus and refuse to leave

And enjoyed the wonderful view

The event happens at the same time as the hot air balloon festival, so every morning we were greeted with this

Absolutely wonderful time. First time I ever got to use the bus as a camper, and enjoyed every bit of it.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

PhoenixWing posted:

Roughly 420 buses showed up

Of course they did.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Of course they did.

That was the actual number the announcer gave on the final day. I thought it was pretty funny, but, I don't think it was intentional :shobon:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

PhoenixWing posted:

That was the actual number the announcer gave on the final day. I thought it was pretty funny, but, I don't think it was intentional :shobon:

Oh, I believe it. It's just, you know, of course there were 420 buses there. Your bus is awesome, by the way. Excellent job getting it back on the road.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
420 smoke buses errday :catdrugs:

(please don't smoke buses, they do it enough by themselves)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
How are the eurobus seats. Mine are from a north american van of some sort and are a bit tall.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Installed the original seats in the bus

Drove out about 120 miles to Murphys

And on the way back managed to pick up an original Westy fridge/sink

It had been sitting for some time, and some of the vinyl had fallen off, and it appears a rat had chewed through a corner of the fridge. So, we tore it down and made it work again!

I had the original drain hole in my bus, but, at some point someone had covered up the hole with a welded plate. Some fun with a drill later

helno posted:

How are the eurobus seats. Mine are from a north american van of some sort and are a bit tall.

That's the exact same reason I ended up replacing mine. They were out of a 2003 Eurovan, and, I feared my head would hit the ceiling when the headliner went in. Wonderfully comfy though.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

So we've been busy doing stuff

Picked up new dash vents

And this matching pillow for the inside

Stripped all the burned paint off the roof, and sanded down the rest of the body in preparation

Fixed that huge dent the PO had covered up

Took the front wheel mount off so we can put the original emblem back on

Primered the lower half

Primered the top half

Looked pretty great in the sun

Reinstalled the original hole for the Westy power hookup

And masked it off again for the upper white paint

Shiny white paint!

Then painted the lower half yellow

Painted the bumpers white (Masked off the bumper stickers though)

I think it looks pretty great for a garage paint job. Also sent the rims off to be powdercoated white, which should be back on Wednesday. The grand unmasking is happening tomorrow, so, we'll know if our striping along the body was straight then.

And if all goes well, it should be driving around rocking its new two tone paint by next weekend.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hnnnnnng

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Nice! That color is guaranteed to put smiles on faces.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

You are re-creating my Aunt's van from my childhood.
I fully approve of this.
I wish I knew what happened to that old VW camper, I loved that thing :(

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Took the masking off

Stickers made it!

Reassembly starts tonight.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Yeeeees. It looks amazing. Still love that bumper sticker. :3

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

All of that masking made me twitch, but goddamn looks like it was worth it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Holy crap I just discovered this thread. Awesome job!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Always nice to see people keeping the old ones alive. One day I'll finish my 58 :(

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Look forward to some pics of it in the sun.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

It made it home! For an engine that withstood a raging inferno, it started up just fine again after sitting and drove home great.

And an updated dash car :3:

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Started putting the remaining bits back on the bus, like the big shiny emblem

Finally have a spare tire

Roof racks back on again

And replaced the washer lines and valve, so they actually work again. Still powered from a pressurized tank with water running through the dashboard, just like Volkswagen intended
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiM_w_LKnPM

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
That paint turned out awesome, way to resurrect it after the fire. I have always wanted a bus in the worst way. What else did the Westfalia kit entail? Do you plan on installing the rest of that?

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

That paint turned out awesome, way to resurrect it after the fire. I have always wanted a bus in the worst way. What else did the Westfalia kit entail? Do you plan on installing the rest of that?

The only bits I'm missing right now is the side cabinet that sits near the bed (Left side of picture) and the headbanger closet that sits above the bed

The bus left the factory with the entire kit installed, so, I'm not really sure why they were removed. They're quite hard to track down now, and, I'm still actively looking for them. Bugorama is next weekend, and, I plan to camp out the day before it starts in hopes of finding parts.

Still need to order the seat cushions, headliner wood and door cards - Probably going to pick those up early next month. Curtain rails should be here on Wednesday, so, at least it'll feel homely in time for camping next weekend.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Got heaps more done on the bus. Finally found the last of the remaining Westy pieces for my bus from Bugorama

Had a bigger Phoenix sticker made for the back window

Installed the curtains

Aired out the Westy tent and cleaned it up

Reinstalled the Westy power inlet

Bought another suitable sticker

Picked up a really crusty carb that had all the vacuum controls in place so I can finally get the dashpot, throttle positioner and altitude corrector hooked up in the bus

Stole one of the vacuum barbs from that carb to finally get my twin vacuum dizzy up and running. Drives way better than with the crappy mechanical only 009, and is staying much cooler on the motorway.

Ordered all the door cards, foam/seat covers, childs cot and mesh nets from Sewfine last week - Should have that here in 4-5 weeks, and, then I'll have a complete bus, ready for it's 3000 mile trip across America in August.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I don't even like these.

...but I've just read the thread from start to finish and now I do, primarily due to the love and attention you've lavished on it. It's very cute. :3:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

PhoenixWing posted:

Drove it down to it's first VW meet this weekend

Still drives surprisingly good. Hold's freeway speeds without issue, and starts up every time in the morning.

Going to start rebuilding the furniture this weekend using the old wood as templates. Probably order the interior door panels as well and get those installed.

This isnt the BLTN crew is it?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I remember pulling the 009 off my 914's type 4 and replacing it with a mallory unilite. I wonder how much better a vac advance would have made the engine run. I remember #3's CHT was always way to high. This bus is so cool :allears:

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

88h88 posted:

I don't even like these.

...but I've just read the thread from start to finish and now I do, primarily due to the love and attention you've lavished on it. It's very cute. :3:

I've always loved beetles, but, never thought I'd love these buses until I bought this one. It's like driving a really comfy sofa down the road with a little house attached, and everyone smiles when they see it :3:

14 INCH SLIT posted:

This isnt the BLTN crew is it?

I see that group around every now and then, but, they're more Pleasanton / Bay Area, I'm up in Sacramento. I'm with the Norcal Aircooled Group / NorCal Bays.

BloodBag posted:

I remember pulling the 009 off my 914's type 4 and replacing it with a mallory unilite. I wonder how much better a vac advance would have made the engine run. I remember #3's CHT was always way to high. This bus is so cool :allears:

I've never tinkered with Type 4s, but, I just know 009s have this huge flat spot off idle. The 34PICT I have is notorious for hating the 009 and stumbling badly off idle, and generally being crap on anything but WOT. Only way I could drive it was to launch it like a drag car and never let off the throttle. Vacuum dizzy keeps the timing up with low RPMs setting off and the timing low on the freeway so it's cooler. Its super easy to drive now, can nearly dump the clutch in first and it wont stall. I do have an 009 in my beetle however, and it runs pretty great with the quad carbs, so, ymmv.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
You've done a truly amazing job dragging this van back out of the grave, it looks gorgeous.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

PhoenixWing posted:

I've always loved beetles, but, never thought I'd love these buses until I bought this one. It's like driving a really comfy sofa down the road with a little house attached, and everyone smiles when they see it :3:

I see that group around every now and then, but, they're more Pleasanton / Bay Area, I'm up in Sacramento. I'm with the Norcal Aircooled Group / NorCal Bays.

I've never tinkered with Type 4s, but, I just know 009s have this huge flat spot off idle. The 34PICT I have is notorious for hating the 009 and stumbling badly off idle, and generally being crap on anything but WOT. Only way I could drive it was to launch it like a drag car and never let off the throttle. Vacuum dizzy keeps the timing up with low RPMs setting off and the timing low on the freeway so it's cooler. Its super easy to drive now, can nearly dump the clutch in first and it wont stall. I do have an 009 in my beetle however, and it runs pretty great with the quad carbs, so, ymmv.

Everything I've read about the 009 seems to be a bunch of compromising in literally every aspect of engine tuning just so you can have a distributor that is ~German engineered~ or something. I had one on my 72 Super (with the 34 pict 3) when I picked it up last year and after loving around for a few weekends I ripped that poo poo off and put on a SVDA with a compufire electronic points system and the car was immediately one thousand percent easier to drive and tune. I really don't understand the draw of them, but maybe I'm not that deep down the rabbit hole yet.

Also Yellow is the best color. You chose well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The SVDA was the best thing I ever put on my 73 Super, particularly with the dual Kadron carbs the PO out on.

• Locked thread