Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Part 1: Arrival

Every year, the City draws lots, and one person is cast into the Well, to find glory or death. Those who refuse are exiled to the mists beyond the walls, and everybody knows what happens to them. Better to go into the unknown depths.

Nobody remembers exactly what lies below anymore, or why people are sent there. Nobody has ever returned in living memory. But you now know it's not certain death, at least not right away. No monster's gullet greeted you, nor a crushing landing on the stone below. No, it's a well in truth, and though the water may well have felt like stone, you're still alive.

You hastily clambered onto the sandy shore when something big in the water brushed your leg. Your eyes have adjusted to the half-light now. The only way out is down, if at all. Before you descend into the depths, you stop to take stock of your situation.

You stand at the edge of a subterranean pool in the middle of an ancient chamber. Pillars of stone rise along the shadowy walls into the ceiling. The only light comes from the rent in the ceiling above the pool, reflected down the sides of the Well. The shadows cluster deepest around a wall interrupted by the only passage out that you can see. You are alone, you hope. The water still ripples in an entirely unreassuring fashion.

What species are you? Who or what were you, before you drew that lot?
What are the three things you managed to hold onto when you crashed into the pool at the bottom of the Well?
What have you heard about the depths? What do you hope to find or accomplish?
Be brief.

---
This is a Choose Your Own Adventure-style game thread; basically, I tell you all a story, and incorporate other posters' suggestions as input to the questions opened up by the story and the ever-present "what do we do next?". Everybody's welcome to take part, but I will ignore suggestions that are obviously suicidal, ridiculous, or against tone. If you're wondering whether or not you should take part, the answer is yes. All serious input and interest is welcome.
The basic concept and feel for this is inspired by various roguelikes, Dark Souls, D&D, and undoubtedly other things I can't seem to consciously recall at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

1. What species are you? Who or what were you, before you drew that lot?
A gnomish puppet maker named Garfinkle von Leponhazen. He is middle aged, married, no children. His passion in life is making puppets for the little wee kiddies.

2. What are the three things you managed to hold onto when you crashed into the pool at the bottom of the Well?
1. My favorite puppet, Cyrus.
2. My lucky carving knife.
3. A locket, which I am wearing, with a picture of my beloved wife of eighty years inside.

3. What have you heard about the depths? What do you hope to find or accomplish?
I heard they suuuuuuuuuuuuuck ahhhhh you bastards! How could you throw me down here!?!?! Puppets are useful I tell you! USEFUL!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sorry, this is serious dungeon fantasy only, no comedy allowed :smug:

fake edit: to be clear, i do enjoy the humor, i just won't use jokepost suggestions

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

What? I AM serious!

This poor puppet maker was thrown into the Pit Of Suck by a society which decided they did not need him anymore.

How is that not serious? That was a 100% serious submission.

After an hour in a dark souls dungeon, I bet the puppet maker won't be so jolly. He is probably pretty pissed off now I would imagine, being thrown to his doom and all.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 19, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

What species are you? Who or what were you, before you drew that lot?
I am a bear. The man who drew the proper lot was one in a position of power, and I, a random bear caught in a trap that same day, was thrown in instead. I do not pretend to understand politics, for I am just a bear.

What are the three things you managed to hold onto when you crashed into the pool at the bottom of the Well?
1. My claws, thankfully they were not chipped in the fall.
2. My teeth, sharp as ever.
3. My strength, for I am a goddamn bear.

I have heard no news of this place, for I am just a bear. But I am no stranger to caves. I will conquer this one as I have many others, and return to my cubs.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 19, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Ser Bearington?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The bear is a serious suggestion. :colbert:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Voting Garfinkle with the qualification that he's deeply cynical and prone to resentfulness (currently out in full force for obvious reasons), only relaxing when with his family or immersed in his work.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Ralith posted:

Voting Garfinkle with the qualification that he's deeply cynical and prone to resentfulness (currently out in full force for obvious reasons), only relaxing when with his family or immersed in his work.

I like those additions. I'm going to expand on Diogines' original. Garfinkle had children, and Cyrus is his favorite puppet because he made it in celebration of the birth of his first child. Sadly, the children (I'm thinking two? Two who survived infancy.) were taken from Garfinkle and his wife when the plague came through town. Mr. and Mrs. von Leponhazen were 'lucky' enough to survive, when many didn't, prompting Garfinkle's attitude as described by Ralith.

If it was at all unclear, I am casting a vote for Garfinkle.

Vote for Garfinkle! A serious gnome for a serious time.

Garfinkle 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fine, but we're making a bear puppet before the end.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
That sounds great! I like bears. At a distance. Or in puppet form.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Vavrek posted:

I like those additions. I'm going to expand on Diogines' original. Garfinkle had children, and Cyrus is his favorite puppet because he made it in celebration of the birth of his first child. Sadly, the children (I'm thinking two? Two who survived infancy.) were taken from Garfinkle and his wife when the plague came through town. Mr. and Mrs. von Leponhazen were 'lucky' enough to survive, when many didn't, prompting Garfinkle's attitude as described by Ralith.

If it was at all unclear, I am casting a vote for Garfinkle.

Vote for Garfinkle! A serious gnome for a serious time.

Garfinkle 2016

I am behind this!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Sxxisl was a leather worker in the town and an immigrant from his homeland across the Lakesea. He came to the area to find his fortune and to flee the racism of his people; he was born with bright red and yellow scaling, a marker of 'lesser' lizard people. The nobility and merchant class are almost all scaled in blues and greens.

Within the last year, a war broke out between the nations over fishing rights in the Lakesea and pirating activities based on lizardmen-owned islands. After one too many defeats of the human military, the populace of the town tossed Sxxisl into the Well as their yearly sacrifice in mob-fueled anger.

Once more, Sxxisl must flee for his safety due to his skin.

Name: Sxxisl Leatherman
Sex: Male
Species: Lizardman
Job: Master Leatherworker

-Sewing kit + skinning knife- These are the major tools of his profession, so he would keep them with him always
-Bottle of rubbing alcohol- Both used for his work and to clean his scaly skin, which becomes irritated by pests if not polished with alcohol occasionally
-Studded Leather Armor, perfectly fitted- A suit of studded leather armor, hand made for himself, by himself. It fits perfectly to his form, and was allowed to be taken in as humans/elves and lizardpeople can't fit in each other's armor

Sxxisl has heard that the depths are the lair of two warring peoples. There are the insectoids, which raid the upper world about once a generation, but are considered a delicacy to noble palates. And there are also the goblinoid tribes, made up of kobolds and ratmen which sometimes trade for supplies from above using the well's bucket system as an elevator.

However, this is all that is known by the population. Once the first few levels are past, it is rumored that the tunnels expand under the Lakesea; flash flooding, collapsing tunnels and shark-people are amongst the dangers told by the town's rumor mongers. But great riches from sunken ships, the nests of magical creatures and weapons of fallen heroes are also said to await the foolhardy.

Sxissl wishes to find a path out of the depths, hopefully finding enough riches to start a new life in a new town. One where he can hopefully not be persecuted for what he is.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Triple post? Christ. Cell phone internet :argh:

Slaan fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 19, 2014

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Slaan fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 19, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fiiiiiiinnnnnnnne :rolleyes:

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Voting for plan Awakened Bear.

A RICH WHITE MAN fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 20, 2014

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Anything not Garfinkle. Gnomes suck.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Obscil posted:

Anything not Garfinkle. Gnomes suck.

vote for awakened bearplan bestplan

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As you make your way down the passage, the light fades away entirely until you find yourself blindly following the wall with one hand. Then the wall takes a sharp curve outward. No, wait. The air feels different. You hear something rustling in the dark in the distance, off to your side. A glint of light?

You stand with your hand against the wall of a chamber of unknown size. You're not alone. Are your eyes playing tricks on you, or does whatever-it-is-nearby have a hidden source of light?

What do you do?

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Roar menacingly!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Are we a gnome or a bear?

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
I think the vote is tied. As long as you count my vote as a vote for a bear, which I think is fine.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Shout invectives at the light source.

(bonus: this works if we're a bear too)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sxxisl Leatherman will Roar menacingly! then go towards the light.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also changing my vote to bear.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Diogines posted:

Are we a gnome or a bear?

Let's assume we're a gnomebear who makes leather puppets.

Ready a knife/claw. Attempt to stay out of the light and move quietly away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ugh gently caress it i've lost the motivation to do this, sorry

• Locked thread