Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Nope then we do it all over again!!

I'm working this weekend but anyone who's on post here looking for games. I can maybe squeeze some in.
That's cute, thinking we'll be able to play this weekend!
WHEN ARE WE GOING TO PLAY, gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
So now that the draft is done, what's the format for the games exactly?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Myriad Truths posted:

So now that the draft is done, what's the format for the games exactly?

I was under the impression that it's: write your maindeck in the spreadsheet, that's fixed and you reset to it between rounds. Best out of three, come on IRC to see who's on. If, after a week or so, there are people that haven't managed to catch each other on IRC then they need to organise something. If people still haven't finished their matches after what? 2-3 weeks? or so then we'll declare a winner based on wins.

e: I'll certainly be on IRC for the next 5 or so hours as of this post.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 6, 2014

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

AlsoD posted:

I was under the impression that it's: write your maindeck in the spreadsheet, that's fixed and you reset to it between rounds. Best out of three, come on IRC to see who's on. If, after a week or so, there are people that haven't managed to catch each other on IRC then they need to organise something. If people still haven't finished their matches after what? 2-3 weeks? or so then we'll declare a winner based on wins.

e: I'll certainly be on IRC for the next 5 or so hours as of this post.

To make it easier, perhaps people can bold whatever cards are going to be in the main deck, and add basics on the bottom?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Ranpire beat me 2-1 in some pretty intense games.

Game 1: he gets turn 1 Grizzledaddy
Game 2: I get turn 3 Marit Lage
Game 3: he gets an early Iona, I have a few drawsteps to find one of my 3-4 outs but no dice

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 7, 2014

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
2-1 victory over Wildfire as well.

Game 1 saw both of us weeping and mulling to five. Wildfire's five was all mana and Thada Adel... my five was Thoughtseize, Sol Ring, Dark Ritual, Liliana, Tendo Ice Bridge, and I drew Mox Jet off the top. He Mystical Tutored for Natural Order to try and get back in the game, but Liliana discarded it and then I drew Necropotence and he scooped.

Game 2 I kept a one lander with Duress, Griselbrand, Reanimate. I learned two valuable lessons about how Duress works and got beaten to death by Thalia, never drawing another land.

Game 3 saw an interesting and shaky start, whereupon I played awfully, nearly Necropotenced myself to death, went in on Oath of Druids, got it O-Ringed, and then barely scraped out RIP-Helm through a counterspell war.

At least I'm learning more about how cards work!

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
So, doubleposting for a bit of a post-draft commentary and analysis.

When I found out I was in the fifth seat, I was slightly disappointed. I thought it was the worst seat in the draft. Since I couldn't take cards close to each other, it would be difficult to commit to a synergistic strategy or assemble combos, and since I was picking behind seat 4, the best Power would be gone. I'd have to not have many set plans and look for whatever goodstuff was open.

In retrospect, I still think that's mostly true, but the power of the mid seats did begin to reveal itself to me as the draft proceeded. What the middle seat allowed me to do was snipe picks and make half-wheels, going back and forth with "THAT half of the table isn't interested in THIS, so I'll take the other thing now and THIS on my next pick." Since I was super paranoid and thought I was fighting for various pieces all draft along, I started liking that flexibility, although I'm not sure how much of that paranoia was actually true.

The start of the draft, however, did not turn out like I thought it would. I knew Lotus and Recall would be gone (that's as close to 100% as it gets) and figured the next two picks to be Mox Jet and Sapphire in either order. That would leave me with the choice of a non-premium Mox, or perhaps Time Vault. Time Vault didn't seem too great, though, because of the previously mentioned middle seat issue... and because everyone had just watched the latest Shotgun Lotus draft where someone took Vault early and then had Voltaic Key immediately sniped away from them. Having a naked Vault with no key and no moxen in a mid seat did not sound good to me.

So I was planning on taking Mox Emerald, hopefully following with Fastbond, and then getting into blue and/or black with some sort of Gush, Infect, or Survival strategy. Primeval Titan, lands, various visions danced through my head, if I could establish myself in green maybe I could pick up something others weren't?

... but then the first four picks did not go that way. I thought for about 30 seconds and then shrugged and slammed Mox Jet, figuring if Snacks was passing it and seats 2-3 were in blue then I was in a reasonable position for heavy black, right? And there surely was some angle to be had in heavy black.

Second pick came back around, Sol Ring seemed the all around best card left, and leaving it to the guy taking Mana Crypt that high seemed like madness, so there was that. I did consider Demonic Tutor here, but opted against it, thinking that with the fight for blue going on one of the tutors would come back. AlsoD's snap double tutor picks made me somewhat sad, but I could deal with someone else being in black. When Trolltoll took Bob and Mind Twist, though, THAT was concerning. Being sandwiched between both wheel drafters is highly uncomfortable.

There was a silver lining, though - Griselbrand and Dark Confidant don't exactly go in the same deck. So TT taking that highly meant that he was likely NOT looking to be in reanimator, sneak and show, that sort of thing. And he had two nonblack moxen. So if I could split the premium discard spells we were both looking for, and then be some sort of unfair black strategy, I felt TT would likely split off and go after things like Bitterblossom. This turned out to be more or less correct, although he did continue to yoink the discard I'd been wanting after I yoinked Liliana.

AlsoD, though, he would continue to be a thorn in my side. Yawgmoth's Will that early surprised me, and throughout the entire draft I had no real idea what he was aiming for and felt like he could snipe my essential cards at any point in time. He eventually did snipe one of them, Brain Freeze... even though I had that pegged as one of the safest bits, since by that point I had so many of the storm enablers that I thought nobody else could possibly cast it. Snacks stole my Emrakul too, with similar "whyyyy, you can't ever even cast this" caveats, except that I then went "oh of course he's on Channel, someone should snipe that..." ... and nobody, including Snacks, ever took Channel.

More or less, though, I got the deck I wanted, except that losing Brain Freeze put a huge damper on the storm plan. I got some of the good free and anti-counterspell counterspells, I floated Unmask ridiculously late, I forgot all about Tainted Pact but I didn't forget about Sleight of Hand, and I got the Unfair Deck in a field of mostly fair decks. Storm, Reanimator, Show and Tell, Oath of Druids with both enablers, Necropotence, all the five color fixing, all the draw sevens, most of the fast mana except Chrome Mox, Bazaar, and I managed to snag Rest in Peace, Leyline of the Void and Helm of Obedience for a late way to actually kill people. People didn't take much graveyard hate. I feel pretty well positioned in the field, especially after getting off to a 2-0 start in matches and beating one of the counterspell decks. But that could turn to 2-5 just as easily and I wouldn't be too shocked either...

Thoughts on everyone else, in rough order of how scared of them I am/was...

Snacks feels like he has the potential best deck, but forgot Channel and made some odd pick sequences like Crucible before Strip Mine. If he'd taken the Channel, or maybe got the Tinker, I think he would crush everyone. Without that stuff he seems beatable, if his draw is clunky enough - and it certainly can be. He has a lot of draws that can stop people from doing anything, but not a lot of consistency or resilience if he doesn't get the complete lock. I still think he's the most interesting and scariest deck, and my personal worst matchup, even though I grabbed Hurkyl's and Steel Sabotage to not be completely cold to locks. I really, really want to see his games.

Lardnar's deck is horrifying and mostly speaks for itself. He'd be my top pick except that I have no idea just how good Snacks' deck is... and it seems to be able to beat Lardnar's.

Myriad Truths got his UR control on, but he didn't take anything that can just slam and end a game, like Elliot Woo's Splinter Twin combo in a similar deck or Lardnar's Scepter/Chant. He also doesn't have anything super broken to do with Time Walk. That feels like a weakness, but then again tempo is usually underrated until it's murdering people...?

neetengie built Pod, question mark? I applaud his gumption but I have no earthly idea how that's going to work. On the other hand, he also has Vault/Key and a couple of enablers. I'm way more scared of those than I am of the pod shenanigans, but then again, I'm not playing a fair deck. The rest of the field *is* and I think pod shenanigans stand a good chance of eating up the other fair and counterspell decks. Maybe.

TrollToll's deck I'm not too sure about. Similar to MT's, except with discard over counterspells, and better threats, but much worse mana. The Hymn to Tourach-Quasali Pridemage-Bloodbraid Elf aggro deck, with 3 red cards and 4 red sources maindeck, feels very ambitious. And very fair. He does have Mind Twist though and reasonable disruption.

AlsoD... even after the draft I still had no idea what he actually was doing. I stand by my assertion that his deck can't cast Brain Freeze for lethal, even with a strong draw for it. What it can do, however, is play Black Lotus and tutor out Marit Lage and/or Painted Stone really quickly. Our matches taught me that I underestimated the power of Dark Depths combo - it can't be hit by targeted discard, can't be counterspelled, resolves at instant speed on your end step and kills you, and there's a reasonable chance he can do it on turn 2 or 3. Or even 1. He did, however, have at least one of Depths and Stage in his starting hand in every game we played, so that might be skewing my perception some.

Wildfire, I think, got into a bad spot in the draft. He was knocked off of his Tinker and Stoneforge, split UW control with Lardnar wheeling on him, and got crowded in green as well. His deck doesn't seem *bad* exactly, but it seems "very similar but somewhat worse" when measured against Lardnar, MT and neet's decks in various aspects. There's always Armageddon, though, and Natural Order into Progenitus, and he could certainly have taken our match.

Dang, now I've depressed myself. People have good decks.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Yeah, the thing that I really learnt from this is that you need a plan. 45 picks seemed like a huge number so I didn't feel bad taking speculative picks like Tezzeret or Brainfreeze but it turns out that I'm really short on playables. Gush is bad with only 5 islands too.

One thing I do like is that I have a LOT of tutors and 2 strong combos with different attack plans. In retrospect I stuck to a hope of getting the blue artifact deck from VRD3 for way too long, even when the picks lead me in a completely different direction. I like my deck but wish I had a bit more fast mana.

The best hand I've had so far: Fastbond, Depths, Thespian Stage and a bunch of lands

admittedly none of the lands produced green and the fastbond got thoughtseized anyway

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I just completely blanked on channel. I just started drafting the cube deck I like to draft and made some miscues given I was often picking late at night or in a hurry.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
G1: Myriad hit Yawg's Will, Demonic Tutor, Vampire Hexmage and Gush from Nightveil Spectre while I had a Urborg out that I didn't think to kill with my crop rotation.

G2: Black Lotus into FoF hits 5 lands. Delver, Timewalk, Snapcaster and Prohibit finish me off.

I made many, many misplays too.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Ranpire posted:

neetengie built Pod, question mark? I applaud his gumption but I have no earthly idea how that's going to work. On the other hand, he also has Vault/Key and a couple of enablers. I'm way more scared of those than I am of the pod shenanigans, but then again, I'm not playing a fair deck. The rest of the field *is* and I think pod shenanigans stand a good chance of eating up the other fair and counterspell decks. Maybe.
I don't give a poo poo I just want to have some fun. I think what really screwed me over is deciding between Blue or Black for the third color. I should have gone Junk with Phyrexian Metamorph as my clone for fun tricks. Instead I have more of a mess and have to rely on really shaky manafixing.

When I was playing against AlsoD he just comboed me out quickly with Marit Lage Game 1.
Game 2 was really intense. He takes away a two drop play with Mesmeric Fiend, slowing me down. Eventually I get Pod online but only have Bosk as my black source along with Thran Quarry, with Entomber Exarch in hand. I play Glen Elendra to chump Marit Lage once, then pod her away for Archon of Justice. Marit Lage kills Archon in combat, gets exiled by it, and he gets another combo in hand, Grindstone. I play something, I think Deciever Exarch, pod it away to Sakashima's Student to copy Mesmeric Fiend and take the Grindstone. After a longer time I use Sun Titan beats to win.

Game 3 I get rekt by Grindstone on turn 4. Kept a shaky hand with Thran Quarry and Birds of Paradise with heavy drops.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Interesting matches with neetengie and wildfire, both losses alas. My deck isn't well prepared to deal with creature strategies, and I'm pretty sure I punted game 1 against tengie (which was very close until he managed to stick Pod and Pod into Wurmcoil). As for wild, my counters proved very bad against some of his creatures.

Regarding the draft, in the 7th seat I felt like Elliot's deck from VRD7 was the best model, but I started moving away from it early after I got a bunch of quality counters early on that he missed out on. My idea was that tempo was the best deck in the format and that the UR tempo deck was a very good version of it. Young Pyro and Delver were excellent in the format and with Spell Snare, Spell Pierce, and Mental Misstep (all of which I thought were incredibly strong) I thought I could land a cheap threat and protect it with efficient counters. I believed that the 'premium' 2 cmc counterspells like Mana Leak, Mana Drain, and Counterspell compared badly to the 1 cmc ones, and that I'd be fine making do with the average 2 cmc counters instead (Rune Snag, Izzet Charm, prohibit).

My deck came out quite well for me, the only big loss being TT sniping my Rabblemaster which I was counting on as a last big threat, and also Ran moving into blue for Flusterstorm, another good 1 cmc counter. Unfortunately, in my three games so far, I've felt like my plan is excessively reactive, and that although I'm very good at preying on combo and control, my counters are just bad against almost all the good fair cards. If I ever do one of these again, I'd need a more balanced approach. I don't think I was wrong in fighting against the unfair decks, but I almost totally dismissed the fair ones.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Myriad Truths posted:

Interesting matches with neetengie and wildfire, both losses alas. My deck isn't well prepared to deal with creature strategies, and I'm pretty sure I punted game 1 against tengie (which was very close until he managed to stick Pod and Pod into Wurmcoil). As for wild, my counters proved very bad against some of his creatures.

Regarding the draft, in the 7th seat I felt like Elliot's deck from VRD7 was the best model, but I started moving away from it early after I got a bunch of quality counters early on that he missed out on. My idea was that tempo was the best deck in the format and that the UR tempo deck was a very good version of it. Young Pyro and Delver were excellent in the format and with Spell Snare, Spell Pierce, and Mental Misstep (all of which I thought were incredibly strong) I thought I could land a cheap threat and protect it with efficient counters. I believed that the 'premium' 2 cmc counterspells like Mana Leak, Mana Drain, and Counterspell compared badly to the 1 cmc ones, and that I'd be fine making do with the average 2 cmc counters instead (Rune Snag, Izzet Charm, prohibit).

My deck came out quite well for me, the only big loss being TT sniping my Rabblemaster which I was counting on as a last big threat, and also Ran moving into blue for Flusterstorm, another good 1 cmc counter. Unfortunately, in my three games so far, I've felt like my plan is excessively reactive, and that although I'm very good at preying on combo and control, my counters are just bad against almost all the good fair cards. If I ever do one of these again, I'd need a more balanced approach. I don't think I was wrong in fighting against the unfair decks, but I almost totally dismissed the fair ones.

Another thing to point out is that I had perfect information on your deck contents, so there were a few turns I resolved cards because I had near perfect information on what conditional counters you had (sideboarding aside). This included running out Geist of Saint Traft without worrying because you only have one card in your deck that can stop it resolving.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Myriad Truths posted:

So far I'm surprised that I was able to outlast you and win, you just had some really good gudstuf, and nabbing my lands and sun Titan really pushed me back.

Recently played against Ranpire, he made a misplay G1 he admits, by putting a naked helm of obedience out when he landed RiP the turn prior, and I podded Voice into Uktabi Orangutan to kill it, he conceded when I was just beating him with my dudes. Second game I tap down his Reanimated Iona with my Deciever, then Ninja in Sakashima's student copying Iona and preventing him from casting black spells. I'll admit that I was unsure of keeping the hand, since those were the only two blue cards I had and only had an Island and Plains as lands along with green stuff. I still don't know why he named White with Iona, I think Green would have been a better choice so he would nerf most of my deck.

Also Truths, here's what I was gonna tell you after the game. Everyone else pls don't look until we played, pls.
I didn't put Elesh Norn in my deck at all for some really stupid reason. I don't know why I blanked on it, and barely realized it wasn't in my deck when I was playing against you.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

So I guess Troll, Lardnar and Snacks aren't interested in playing? Where are you guys?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Some awful combination of sick and working OT. I'll be able to get some games in tomorrow.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

On now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

If anyone wants to pester cocomonkeh (rude man who shushes) on steam, that's a good way to get me.

• Locked thread