Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
I have been enjoying the PvP lots its got a good pace to it. I just wish the primary weapons were rebalanced slightly so it wasn't auto rifle all day every day. (If only the scout rifle wasn't absolute poo poo in pvp)

Also had some good fun booting up the earth patrol, walking into the cave people are farming for loot, hitting the dance emote and making some dinner.

The game as is probably wouldn't be worth sixty bucks to most people (my console games library was seriously lacking in the shootman department so im more than happy with it) but its definitely got the potential to be a really good game if a few tweaks are made (mostly in the social functions area of the game)

Headshots giving you big yellow numbers instead of tiny white ones is a design decision that the reptile part of my brain is all about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
one thing i like is how the precision kills bounty teaches you how awesome headshots are and you can't stop after.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

stoutfish posted:

one thing i like is how the precision kills bounty teaches you how awesome headshots are and you can't stop after.

I became all about headshots after i picked up a good handcannon. Like drat dude you just feel so boss.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah headshots have always been a big part of bungie games. I mean, obviously they're a big part of any FPS but I'd argue that they're more important in these games since in a game like CoD or Battlefield you can get kills with body shots as long as you have the jump on the person. In bungie games if you don't consistently get headshots in pvp you're probably going to get hosed up. My cousin plays these games a lot but still gets wrecked when he goes into competitive modes because of this.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Guys, the game is great, it's just PC paying off reviewers.

Who's this PC bastard? Why is he bribing people?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Truga posted:

Who's this PC bastard? Why is he bribing people?

PC gamers, duh. We all chipped in.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
It's more likely that bungee didn't pay, but I don't believe that either.

Game journalists are literally biting the hand that feeds them to make it seem like they have integrity.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

BrettRobb posted:

It's more likely that bungee didn't pay, but I don't believe that either.

Game journalists are literally biting the hand that feeds them to make it seem like they have integrity.

Destiny has really been getting reasonable scores, with a few outliers. It's pretty fun but it has a lot of issues and doesn't deserve much over 7/10 in its current state.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Destiny has really been getting reasonable scores, with a few outliers. It's pretty fun but it has a lot of issues and doesn't deserve much over 7/10 in its current state.

honestly I've seen worse games get 8s and 9s. I've been having a blast with the pvp and I really like that you can seamlessly transfer guns and equipment from the campaign to the versus modes. That alone makes up for the problems it has imo but I guess it's all subjective.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

honestly I've seen worse games get 8s and 9s. I've been having a blast with the pvp and I really like that you can seamlessly transfer guns and equipment from the campaign to the versus modes. That alone makes up for the problems it has imo but I guess it's all subjective.

"I've seen worse games get better scores" is completely subjective.

The fact you have the weapon bonuses in PvP is somewhat interesting but the PvP itself isn't anything amazing and I don't feel it can carry the issues with poorly designed single player content, which is the bulk of the game. Supposedly the raid stuff is interesting and more than just "boss is a bigger, bullet sponge, version of a regular enemy" that strikes have going on, but I haven't gotten to the raid stuff due to the garbage loot system. Even if I was geared for it the might-as-well-be-nonexistent clan system seems like it doesn't help in getting a group together for it in any real capacity.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

"I've seen worse games get better scores" is completely subjective.

The fact you have the weapon bonuses in PvP is somewhat interesting but the PvP itself isn't anything amazing and I don't feel it can carry the issues with poorly designed single player content, which is the bulk of the game. Supposedly the raid stuff is interesting and more than just "boss is a bigger, bullet sponge, version of a regular enemy" that strikes have going on, but I haven't gotten to the raid stuff due to the garbage loot system. Even if I was geared for it the might-as-well-be-nonexistent clan system seems like it doesn't help in getting a group together for it in any real capacity.

see I think it's just a certain type of game that appeals to a certain type of person though. Like, I like the campaign stuff because it's solid shooting with pretty environments that I can play with some buddies and have a good time blasting aliens while we shoot the poo poo. Then I can take that cool revolver with 8 bullets in the chamber into pvp. Despite the problems I'm having a lot of fun with the game and would probably call it an 8 or 9 out of 10.

But yeah if you're someone that needs a lot of variety in your game or if being able to easily communicate with randos is a high priority (which is a legitimate concern) then I could see rating it lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

see I think it's just a certain type of game that appeals to a certain type of person though.

This is probably where our divergence is coming from because that describes a niche game and, unless it is absolutely amazing, I am not of the opinion that niche games should be over 8/10. If you're aiming for a specific subset of people that's great, but it will turn off a lot of other people and that is reflected in scores.

We also need to move away from this mindset of "anything less than 9/10 means garbage" and that's something that needs to be done by reviewers.

Honestly people should stop giving a poo poo about reviews and sales figures and poo poo. If you're enjoying it currently that should be all that matters to you.

• Locked thread