Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Principal Entropy’s School is not an ordinary place. Even those of you who grew up in Town know that most Principals do not live on a flying Island and have hands that eternally drip blood, most Schools do not have a class taught by an Ogre, or a cat, or have such a high ghost to living student ratio. On the other hand, other High Schools no longer technically exist after the Sun died, so it is not like you have any other choice.

Welcome to School. Whether you are a Horizon local, from Fortitude or elsewhere in Town, or an immigrant to Town Principal Entropy’s School is the best place to get a High School education left in Creation. Located among the mostly empty tenements of Horizon sits the vast School. It would seem empty if it was half the size and had twice the number of students, and many of the local residents are Vampires, Ghosts, Ogres, or other members of the Otherworldly Tribes but once you are there it all seems rather normal. It is a place where you can explore your own academic interests, no matter how esoteric or dangerous they may be. Which is how you ended up here, in a mostly unused wing of the school in classroom 318E(ii) for your final class of the day, an independent study under the occasionally watchful but mostly absent eye of Dr. Smith. Your independent study is your opportunity to follow your passion in whatever field, such as Shakespearean poetry or ancient forbidden magics. Principal Entropy encourages all sorts on the theory that no one knows what will be necessary to create a new world.

Chuubo’s Marvelous Wish Granting Engine: This is a recruitment thread for a PBP Gothic Mortals level game set in and around Principal Entropy’s School in Horizon. I’m looking for 3-5 players. Characters are students at the school who are taking an independent study class in their final period of the day. The Independent Study should be something your character is passionate about, that can trigger Obsessive! actions.You’ll have plenty of time for boring classes in the rest of the day. In addition as a Gothic game dramatic monologueing in the rain, dark obsessions, and ancient forbidden loves are all encouraged.

The game will not be confined to School though, weekend shopping excursions to Acadia, studying in Fortitude, and class trips to Soma village are all recommended. Ultimately Chuubo’s is a player driven game and I’ll be following your lead in regards to how much School related drama such as sports teams, Student Council involvement, or joining a club like SEED.

Character Creation Characters will be standard Mortal level characters attending the school. A mortal powerlevel does not mean your character must be, strictly speaking, mortal. ghosts, vampires, Jotun-blooded, etc. Some things to think about would be: What do your parents do? Do you live at home, at the school on weekdays, or at the school full time? Which uniform do you wear? Are you living or dead? What is your independent study class?

If you have any questions about character concepts or rules just let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Nooo! And I was just about to start my own game... :(
Oh well. Guess I can just watch this one, then.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Yes! Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes! I don't have time to roll up a character tonight, but I'm super interested and will try to get something ready ASAP.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Color me intrigued. I'll look over character creation again tonight and write up a submission. Ghosts are okay, yeah?

ActingPower posted:

Nooo! And I was just about to start my own game... :(
Oh well. Guess I can just watch this one, then.

You can still run one! CMWGE has different genres, after all.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Will have to think up a character. In the meantime, I know this is mostly taking place at School, but...

quote:

Preparing for a duel or date in Bluebell Park is often a Ritual
Shall we meet in Bluebell Park?
Preparing for the duel or date is likely to be a Ritual. This is particularly true if one of the characters thinks it’s a date and the other thinks it’s a duel.
I don't care how, I want this to happen.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I'd be happy to play in a game of Chuubo's as well as run one, so you would deffinately have at least one person submitting a character ActingPower.

Ghosts are great as far as I'm concerned. Whats a Gothic without a ghost after all?

Finally remember that Town isn't all that big. The Fable of the Swan has students commuting every day from the Walking Fields to the School after all so leaving campus during lunch for a date/duel at Bluebell park wouldn't be difficult.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

neaden posted:

Finally remember that Town isn't all that big. The Fable of the Swan has students commuting every day from the Walking Fields to the School after all so leaving campus during lunch for a date/duel at Bluebell park wouldn't be difficult.

Well I was personally referring to the "one of the characters thinks it’s a date and the other thinks it’s a duel" part. My favorite sentence in the book, and boy does it have some tough competition.

Anywho,

Analee Nacia

(Yes, that's a humanized Honedge. I couldn't think of anything better.)

Day Seven:

My ability to walk through walls that I discovered yesterday seems to have been a fluke. While attempting to flee from the blue uniformed guards after helping myself to a loaf of bread, I tried to run through a fence only to slam headfirst into it. The guard, who introduced himself as a "police-man," ceased yelling and all further hostilities when he saw my blunder. When asked why I stole the bread, I told him the truth: I was starving! I woke up last week on the edge of the lake with this weird sword in my hand and was trying my way back to Zamek Nacia.

I turned the question on him, and asked why he was chasing me. He told me that he saw the loaf of bread mysteriously float off on it's own. He didn't see me until I crashed into the fence, and told me he hadn't seen a ghost fail to pass through a wall before. What nonsense! Me? A ghost? At the very least he understood I was confused and lost, and offered me to take me to "School" and that they would help sort things out.

To be honest, I don't remember much of the next several hours, only that the policeman handed me over to a few teachers at this "School" and proceeded to ask me questions nonstop. Eventually the Principal came and finally answered my questions. Or rather he just took one look at me with his pitch black eyes, told me I was dead, my ghost wound up in Town from the Outside, and that I was welcome to live at the School as a student. He then left with blood dripping on the floor behind him, and I could have sworn there was a brass fanfare following his every step until the doors closed.

So...I guess, here I am. Stuck living in one of the unused classrooms since I told them I didn't want to live in the ghost dorms. I don't care what that scary man said, there's no way I can be a ghost! Don't ghosts normally appear because someone died and have unfinished business? How could I be a ghost then? I never died! Wouldn't I remember how I died? And besides, what unfinished business do I have? I'm just a girl!

At the very least, I still have this sword with me. I thought it was strange that it just appeared with me at the lakeside, but no one else seems to have noticed it or really cared. I still don't know why I have it, but it's rather nice. Looks like the sword all the soldiers kept on them back home. It's the only thing from home that I have by this point, so I don't want to lose it. Who knows, maybe it's my key back home...wherever that is.

Arc: Emptiness (I'm Dead) 0
Starting Quest: The Object (My sword) 40xp
Basic Quest: Setting (Adjusting to School) 15xp

Skills:
Sword 3 (Independent study)
Gymnastics 2
Macramé 2 (Wikipedia link, I pulled this skill out of a random skill generator)
Ghost Magic 1

Bonds: I want to find out why I have this sword.
Afflictions: I can't believe I'm a ghost!
Bonus XP Emotion: (Overacted) Speechlessness XP
Uniform: Black and Gold

Additional Details
  • Academic Ability: Moderately Low, mostly due to unfamiliarity with the subjects.
  • Athletic Ability: High, enjoys friendly competition.
  • Blood type: ...do ghosts bleed?
  • Favourite food: Cabbage
  • Similar animal: Honedge Magpie

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 2, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Nicholas Hocadjian

I'll write up the backstory in a bit. TL;DR version for now: enrolled in extracurricular culinary class and has gone loco for it; woke up one morning and his left hand had turned into a bunch of jeweled gears, dials, and metal bits; has weird dreams about the world ending and people thanking him for helping that process along; has a bad habit of thinking he can avoid uncomfortable conversations by making food and doing favors unasked.

Arc: Mystic (Why am I turning into a clockwork man?!)
Starting Quest: Changes (My hand's just the first step) 25 xp
Basic Quest: Gourmet Chef (I must master every cuisine!) 15 xp

Skills
  • Amazing Clockwork Hand! 2
  • Cookery 3
  • Cool 1
  • Shine 2
Bonds: I never apologize.
Afflictions: I'm driven to offer hospitality to anyone who asks.
Bonus XP Emotion: Offering you Comfort (with this XP token) XP
Uniform: Blue and white

Additional Details
  • Academic Ability: B student (could get As if he spent less time in the kitchen)
  • Athletic Ability: Doesn't embarrass himself on the soccer field most of the time
  • Blood Type: AB
  • Favorite Food: Beef Wellington
  • Animal With Similar Nature: African Grey parrot

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 1, 2014

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
I recently picked up the epub book, and the system looks interesting. I know Nobilis, but I haven't been keeping up at all with Chuubo playtesting or following updates, so the whole system's completely new to me. I'll probably be depending quite heavily on everyone else in figuring out how things work. Here's my own, possibly completely tonally inappropriate character submission. If it doesn't fit, let me know; I can certainly come up with another concept.

Piper Rains

Battle Monsters(tm) are intellectual property of Horizon Media. Monster manifestations are product of imagination only.

Piper just got into Battle Monsters, the card strategy game that's sweeping Horizon - at least the parts of Horizon young enough to get super into card games. He's new, and he's not great at it yet, but something about it just clicks for him. Sure, he placed third-last in the informal tourney last week, but he's not going to let that stop him! If there's one thing Piper doesn't do, it's give up in the face of hardship or basic reason!

Besides, school legend says that great prizes await anyone who can become a true Battle Monsters Master. And the game is a lot older than anyone thinks.

Arc: Aspect (To be the very best!) 0
Starting Quest: Mental Training (Battle Monsters)
Basic Quest: Challenging people to games of Battle Monsters

Skills:
  • Battle Monsters Beginner 2
  • Shine 1
  • Hot-Blooded 5

Bonds: Losing never stops me from trying again. (2)
Afflictions: My life is an endless series of increasingly powerful challengers!
Bonus XP Emotion: Fist-Pump/Salute XP
Uniform: Black and Gold

Additional Details
  • Academic Ability: Remedial
  • Athletic Ability: Little talent, lots of heart
  • Blood type: What am I, a doctor?
  • Favourite food: Pizza!
  • Similar animal: Hummingbird

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Albert, Former Abstract

Horizon’s School, like most large institutions, would not be able to function without a horde of unremarked laborers working behind the scenes. In the School’s case, these folks are quite literally faceless minions, referred to (by the few that care) as Abstracts. Several months ago, one such Abstract was caught in a Deviant Science explosion and when he came to, Albert was surprised to discover he had a name and agency. It seems a shard of pure Narrativium had lodged in his chest, imbuing him with Main Character properties.

Now a ‘normal’ teenager, Albert is enrolled in the School and spends his time learning the intricacies of being ‘a real boy’ (although he sometimes backslides into Supporting Cast) and attempting to gain better conditions for his fellow Abstracts. The shard of Narrativium embedded in his heart has given him great insight into the functioning of The Narrative and Plot, although at times he loses sight of Reality.

Skills
  • Mad Literature 3 (Its like Mad Science except with poetry instead of Jacob’s Ladders)(Independent Study)
  • Come Through in a Clutch 2
  • Domestic Skills 2
  • Hard to Notice 1

Connection: ??
Bonus XP Emotion: Putting my Faith in You (with this XP token)
Basic Quest: Writing The Perfect Novel (Exciting!) 1/20XP

Advancement Arc: Knight (Protagonist) 0
Starting Quest: Mental Training(Controlling the Narrative) 0/40XP
Bond (2): I am driven to bring my people out of the shadows
Affliction (0): I must push the boundaries placed on me

Uniform Colors: Black and Gold

Additional Details
  • Academic Ability: Solid B+ for most, A+ in English/Literature
  • Athletic Ability: Good in team sports
  • Blood type: AB+, heavy Narrativium contamination
  • Favorite Food: Pad Thai
  • Similar animal: Sheepdog
  • Home: Boys Dormitory/Lodging House, Horizon

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 17, 2014

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Characters all look good so far. Just for my own reference though could I get some example usages of Amazing Clockwork Hand!, Hot-blooded, and Come through in a Clutch in terms of what kind of things you would do with them?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

neaden posted:

Characters all look good so far. Just for my own reference though could I get some example usages of Amazing Clockwork Hand!, Hot-blooded, and Come through in a Clutch in terms of what kind of things you would do with them?

Albert is generally good at keeping it together and making his actions count in stressful or dire situations, as well as being able to help bail his friends out of similar situations of their own. Basically, while he may not be good at something in general, when the chips are down and his friends are depending on him, he comes through for them. Some examples are:
  • Setting up the last minute play for a come-from-behind victory
  • Finding that rare toy that a friend promised to get for their little sister's birthday
  • Distracting the hall monitor long enough for his friends to sneak back into School

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Hot-Blooded kind of seems like a broad skill, but I think that in my conception of it, it's a skill that will almost never directly accomplish an immediate task in a concrete way. It's a skill that affects hearts and minds in a positive way, both the character's and those of the people around him. For instance, if I were to activate Hot-Blooded with high Intention to play a game of Battle Monsters, I probably wouldn't win, but my forthright and honourable conduct would win me my opponent's respect, or cause them to see the error or their ways, or a wizened Battle Monsters master would see the kernel of strategic genius in my reckless play and take me under his wing.

Use Hot-Blooded to:
  • Deliver a one-liner about friendship, courage, or dreams.
  • Withstand tremendous amounts of physical or mental punishment without compromising your ideals.
  • Encourage a true companion to do the right thing, even (or especially) if it's difficult.
  • Fail at a task in such a way that it impresses onlookers or rivals.
  • Befriend a defeated foe, who will immediately become much less competent.

I still haven't 100% grokked the Skill system, but I think this is a legit way to do it.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Everything looks good so far. There are a couple people who expressed interest but haven't made a character, but it is easy enough to slot in new characters into an ongoing game. After the first chapter everyone will be allowed to redo character creation if any aspect of your character is not working out. I'll get the IC/OOC threads up tomorrow for the first day of School.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

neaden posted:

I am not 100% sure how skills work, so the list below might need to be tweaked. But for now, let's say Nico's Amazing Clockwork Hand! can do stuff like the following:
  • Grab Nico's throat to stop him from saying something stupid or uncool
  • Reach into boiling water without injury
  • Catch a knife with lightning quickness (also looks really awesome)
  • Hold onto the cliff when his rappelling rope breaks
  • Let go and let Nico move on, even when he's not feeling ready

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
IC Thread is up!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Having a full night, will get a post in tomorrow, sorry for the delay.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sorry for not posting yet... heading to IC thread now!

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Thanks for playing along Krysmphoenix, sorry your dice wanted lots of answers :)

neaden posted:

If you have any questions about character concepts or rules just let me know.

Say neaden, I had a question about XP allotment. I know the XP Actions put their XP in the pot for later divvying up, but the Emotion and Anytime Quest XP go directly to the players. Should we wait for you to weigh in on the situation, or can we just be 'Bam, Over the Top/Speechless/etc, one XP for me'?

Oh, and something that occurs to me since I'm asking XP questions: Where do we make note of Emotion XP reactions? They are technically reactions of the players, so do we say it in the OoC thread, or put a out of character note in the IC thread?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first PbP for a non-DnDish game

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
I'm still trying to figure out what counts as what - I think what I just posted was a valid slice of life XP action, but I'm not 100% sure how this is supposed to work. Let me know and I can change it.

Also, would the scene I just posted count as 'you join or do things with a strange group of students' for the purposes of my Mental Training quest?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
It's...rapidly occurring to me that I have no idea how XP actions work. :shobon: As much as I love Chuubo's, reading the book is kind of confusing for basic mechanics stuff.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I think just saying "Bam XP action" will be the best at keeping things rolling. Espcially with Emotion XP, while I count as a player in terms of giving it to you, I think it works best if it is mostly non-HG players handing it out so it doesn't become a game of please the GM.

Green Bean, I think that works as a slice of life, but might also be obsessive. To me the question would be whats more important in the scene, is it you connecting (or failing to connect) with these other players and having a moment that sticks with you, or is it you getting way to into the card game into a crescendo and then ... everything just stopping as Mr. Red stares at you?
Either way its an allowable action in a Gothic though.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Hmm, I do like the sound of an Obsessive action better, so I guess I'll go with that. Does it make a difference mechanically?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Krysmphoenix posted:

It's...rapidly occurring to me that I have no idea how XP actions work. :shobon: As much as I love Chuubo's, reading the book is kind of confusing for basic mechanics stuff.

Here's what I figure. XP Actions are supposed to be your grand gestures. After you perform an XP Action, you're supposed to "fade" into the background for the rest of the scene, generally not making waves. Like, for Shared Actions, you see a guy sweeping an alley, and you decide to connect with him on that. You claim that as an XP Action, and then you just kind of keep doing that indefinitely. Like riding off into the sunset. Oh, and really, you're supposed to be doing it with people, otherwise you pick up Isolation, but that's not terribly important.

As to performing them... consider them kind of like Apocalypse World's moves. You have a Condition, which defines when you can do the XP Action, and the Action, which is what the XP Action is supposed to actually be. Here's Sympathetic Action as an example:

Sympathetic Action posted:

Condition: Someone’s doing something simple and honest, like cooking, cleaning, or practicing their
martial arts katas.
You’re hanging out with them, socializing or helping.
Or, you’re the one doing simple, honest stuff, and someone else is interacting with you!
Action:
Reach out to them. Try to connect.

Oh, and for reference, here's Obsessive Actions for you:

Obsessive Action posted:

Condition:You’re getting really worried or excited about something. It’s taking up a larger and
larger portion of your character’s thoughts.
Action:
Tip over the edge into obsession; or,
Just… kind of short out and shut down mentally. You’re done.

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Yeah, Gothic XP Actions are all about creating/participating in scenes that evoke emotions and connections with others.

In Albert's Slice of Life, watching his class as a member of it made him happy (Condition), and that happiness is going to stick with him for the rest of the morning(Action).

Setting up XP Actions can sometimes take a bit of OOC wrangling, so giving each over a heads up here can help (at least until we get into the swing of things). Something like 'Analee would like to talk about her annoyance with Ms. Rosewood' or 'Albert going to get stuck with Class Cleanup and would appreciate company' could help co-ordinate Shared Actions/Reactions.

• Locked thread