Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
Hello

When I check the tire's tread, ought it be at least the depth of the radii of a dime?

Best Regards,
RG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Typically replacement is recommended at a tread depth of 3/32-4/32 of an inch or so (.084-.125 inch). A dime is ~.70 inch diameter or .35 radius. I get around .125 inches to the top of the queens head (:canada:) to the edge if the dime so you could use that as a reference.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Tires have wear bars, they're little humps inside each groove. they represent 2/32", the point where your tires become illegal. I don't recommend going until you're flush with them but they're a good reference point.
That or run 'em until the cords start popping out, then use them as studs for more grip on the ice :getin:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I just bought one of these because I could never get a good feel using any of the coin tricks. It's 5 bucks to get an exact measurement for all my tread depth needs for the rest of my life.

Also while we are on the subject: A proper pressure gauge owns. I keep one of these in my glovebox since service station gauges, if they exist, never seem to be very good. And those stick things that people seem to use will often give me 3 completely different measurements in 3 uses.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 1, 2014

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
I use the tirerack tread depth card I got in one of their catalogs. Probably should get a better one.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 2, 2014

• Locked thread